Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013
In April 1990, Belgian Parliament passed a controversial law liberalizing abortion. Prior to that, abortions still happened, they were just registered as "curretage". However, technically abortion was still illegal, and this law legalized it.

Thing is, Belgium is a constitutional monarchy, and just Parliament passing a law is not enough - the king has to put his signature under the document as well. This Royal Assent was and is basically ceremonial: the king generally doesn't meddle with governmental affairs unless it involves forming a new government. However, the king at the time, Baudouin I, was a devout Catholic, and he informed the Prime Minister that he could not sign this document without violating his Catholic conscience.
This kinda sparked a possible constitutional crisis: what if the king refused to sign other documents? Didn't this mean Parliament was basically useless if the king could just veto anything they put forth? The law had to be passed, even if it was just to prove a point, but the king still refused to sign.

People found a loophole, of course. In 1940, the previous king, Leopold III, had surrendered to the Germans. He did this without consulting any of his ministers, and the Prime Minister decided that his decicion was therefore unconstitutional. The king was declared unable to reign and his brother became regent until Leopold's abdication in 1951.

So, what if they could declare Baudouin unfit to rule? The king actually agreed and asked the Prime Minister to do this so he could avoid signing the document - the constitution decrees that if the king is unfit to rule, the Government as a whole carries out the role of Head of State.

So on April 4th of 1990, Belgium deposed King Baudouin I, turned from a constitutional monarchy to a representative democracy (I think?) and passed the abortion law. 44 hours later, they reinstated the king.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

cgfreak posted:

So on April 4th of 1990, Belgium deposed King Baudouin I, turned from a constitutional monarchy to a representative democracy (I think?) and passed the abortion law. 44 hours later, they reinstated the king.

Nothing as drastic as that, they just became a kingdom with a king who wasn't allowed to reign. This has a long tradition in monarchies, actually, e.g. the heirs ascending to the throne at a very young age with the actual rule being put in the hands of a regent until they come of age (like Christina of Sweden who became queen at six years old, or Spain's Alfonso XIII whose father died before his birth, legally making him king at the second he was born) or when the ruler was declared to be "unfit to rule", mostly because of him being mentally unwell (like Bavaria's Louis II and his brother Otto after him).

Fun fact: according to legend, Shapur II the Great of the Sasanian Empire (309-379) was crowned king before he was even born. Shapur's father Hormizd II died shortly after he was conceived and was succeeded by his older son, who after a few months was murdered during a noble uprising, with two other potential heirs being either blinded or fleeing to Constantinople. If the legend is believed, the nobles then put the crown on Shapur's mother pregnant belly, making him king in utero. Sadly there's no proof that this ever really happened.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
The uranium used in the Manhattan Project (and some sources even say Little Boy) came from the Shinkolobwe mine in Congo, which was a Belgian colony at the time.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

vainman posted:

This is slightly off topic but can anyone recommend a good book on the 1960-1990 period of Italy? I've been reading Midnight in Sicily and it's great and I'm looking for more

For something on topic, Amor de Cosmos is one of my favourite people to ever hold office

This is a few pages old, but you should check out States of Emergency, I had to read it for a class in my degree when we were covering terrorism and it's a good run down of the whole years of lead thing.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Not old-old history, but interesting. Several film proposals are considered cursed because John Belushi, John Candy, and Chris Farley had been proposed as leads.

quote:

Candy was in talks to portray Ignatius J. Reilly in a now-shelved film adaptation of John Kennedy Toole's Pulitzer Prize-winning novel A Confederacy of Dunces.[10][11][12] He even expressed interest in portraying Atuk in a film adaptation of Mordecai Richler's The Incomparable Atuk and Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle in a biopic based on the silent film comedian's life.[13][14] These three shelved projects have been referred to as "cursed" because Candy, John Belushi, and Chris Farley were each attached to all three roles, and they all died at early ages before they could make any of these films.[15][16]

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Not old-old history, but interesting. Several film proposals are considered cursed because John Belushi, John Candy, and Chris Farley had been proposed as leads.

It feels like the project is "cursed" because they kept hiring unhealthily obese actors who may or may not have had severe drug problems.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

chitoryu12 posted:

It feels like the project is "cursed" because they kept hiring unhealthily obese actors who may or may not have had severe drug problems.

3/3 and 2/3, respectively.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Thankfully Belushi turned things around after meeting Prez Rickard.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Nice

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Parts of the Great Wall of China was paid for by state lottery.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Alhazred posted:

Parts of the Great Wall of China was paid for by state lottery.

I didn't know that, but state lotteries were big time fundraisers in the 18th/19th centuries in Britain/US. They provided about a third of the funding for the British Empire's foreign wars. :britain:

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

theroachman posted:

The uranium used in the Manhattan Project (and some sources even say Little Boy) came from the Shinkolobwe mine in Congo, which was a Belgian colony at the time.

I wonder how many hands were lost in mining accidents?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

wallaka posted:

I wonder how many hands were lost in mining accidents?

So many that they started a terrorist group that kicked off the Great War.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I had to read a lot of Republican speeches about how Iran hates the US because of religious fundamentalism last week for an essay I was writing. So I'm not sure how widely known it is, but a large chunk of Iranian enmity toward the US is because the US and the UK instigated a coup in Iran in the 1950s because the democratically elected government there wanted to nationalise the oil industry, which was controlled by a UK company. In retaliation the two western countries had the president of Iran replaced with a monarch, who was then himself over throne in the 1970s for being a lovely dictator.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Red Bones posted:

I had to read a lot of Republican speeches about how Iran hates the US because of religious fundamentalism last week for an essay I was writing. So I'm not sure how widely known it is, but a large chunk of Iranian enmity toward the US is because the US and the UK instigated a coup in Iran in the 1950s because the democratically elected government there wanted to nationalise the oil industry, which was controlled by a UK company. In retaliation the two western countries had the president of Iran replaced with a monarch, who was then himself over throne in the 1970s for being a lovely dictator.

That’s pretty well known.

As well known as any foreign history is.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Isn't it a bit hypocritical of Iran to hate the US for religious fundamentalism? Absolutely no self-awareness whatsoever

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

theroachman posted:

Bringing uranium mining home to the US to buckle down for the cold war and the burgeoning nuclear energy industry wasn't much more ethical. A large portion was directly leased by US from the Navajo nation and worked by Navajo workers, and the mines in the US proper attracted the lower class of mining worker if not migrant Navajos looking to utilize their uranium mining skills from the original mines.

The initial steps of uranium enrichment, ie separation of elemental uranium from ore, were initially conducted as chemical ore processing such as that done on site at mines. As a result uranium ore tailings were famously hosed up and living near an american uranium mine meant you were probably going to get super cancer.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Red Bones posted:

They don't teach this in American history classes? Because stuff like this is pretty important to know in order to understand the current problems in the middle east.

Also it's "overthrown"

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Freudian slippers posted:

They don't teach this in American history classes? Because stuff like this is pretty important to know in order to understand the current problems in the middle east.

Also it's "overthrown"

can only speak for new jersey here, but i don't think i ever had a history class get as far as the first world war, and only one year in high school was spent on world history

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Isn't it a bit hypocritical of Iran to hate the US for religious fundamentalism? Absolutely no self-awareness whatsoever

I think you parsed that wrong. Iran doesn't hate the US because of Alamaba or whatever, but because the US a) overthrew their elected leader and b) supported a rather lovely king for decades.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
please dont make everyone start using /s

(that was /ns)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I don't know what's worse. One, you made that reference, or two, I recognised it.

(Trick question both are bad)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Red Bones posted:

To go a bit further: the Iranian president at first didn't want to nationalize the oil industry, he just wanted to audit the UK company because he suspected (correctly, as it turns out) that they were using fraudulent business practices to basically steal Iran's oil. The UK company refused to submit to the audit, so the president got the parliament to vote to nationalize the oil industry.

And the Cold War is full of stories like that. Like the September 11, 1973 Chilean Coup, instigated and organized by the CIA, which replaced democratically-elected Allende with dictator Pinochet because Allende was leaning a bit too far to the left for the US' liking.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

I don't really know anyone who learned any world history in a class before college. I remember having to google the french revolution when i was a kid because i wasnt sure what it was but there were entire class periods spent on Andrew Carnegie.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Mikl posted:

To go a bit further: the Iranian president at first didn't want to nationalize the oil industry, he just wanted to audit the UK company because he suspected (correctly, as it turns out) that they were using fraudulent business practices to basically steal Iran's oil. The UK company refused to submit to the audit, so the president got the parliament to vote to nationalize the oil industry.

And the Cold War is full of stories like that. Like the September 11, 1973 Chilean Coup, instigated and organized by the CIA, which replaced democratically-elected Allende with dictator Pinochet because Allende was leaning a bit too far to the left for the US' liking.

The original Banana Republic incident in which Edward Bernays painted the moderate left wing Guatemalan president as a dangerous communist so that the CIA would overthrow him and benefit the United Fruit Company was even better. And by better I mean equally horrible.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Mikl posted:

The coup plotters called in jets to bomb the national palace. After the coup they killed thousands of civilians and arrested tens of thousands.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jaramin posted:

The B29 could fly at 9000 meters, and generally did not do so so that the payload could be accurately delivered. No german or japanese fighter could operate that high, so they'd have to rely on flak guns. For a nuclear warhead, accuracy is less important, so if fighter screen was too heavy the allies would have just dropped the bombs from too high for the Germans to reach.

Going through this thread slowly, but lol how loving wrong can you be?

B-29 Service Ceiling: 9,710 meters

German Fighters:
-----------------
Bf-109G-6 Service Ceiling: 12,000 meters
Me-262A-1 Service Ceiling: 11,450 meters
Fw-190A-8 Service Ceiling: 11,410 meters
Fw-190D-9 Service Ceiling: 12,000 meters
Me-410A-1 Service Ceiling: 10,000 meters
Bf-110G-2 Service Ceiling: 11,000 meters
Ta-152H-1 Service Ceiling: 15,100 meters

Japanese Fighters:
------------------
A6M8 Service Ceiling: 11,300 meters
Ki-84 Service Ceiling: 11,800 meters
Ki-87 Service Ceiling: 12,800 meters
Ki-100 Service Ceiling: 11,000 meters
A7M Service Ceiling: 10,900 meters
N1K Service Ceiling: 10,800 meters
J2M Service Ceiling: 11,400 meters

There are reasons why the nukes were able to deploy where they did, their service ceiling was not one of them.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Going through this thread slowly, but lol how loving wrong can you be?

B-29 Service Ceiling: 9,710 meters

German Fighters:
-----------------
Bf-109G-6 Service Ceiling: 12,000 meters
Me-262A-1 Service Ceiling: 11,450 meters
Fw-190A-8 Service Ceiling: 11,410 meters
Fw-190D-9 Service Ceiling: 12,000 meters
Me-410A-1 Service Ceiling: 10,000 meters
Bf-110G-2 Service Ceiling: 11,000 meters
Ta-152H-1 Service Ceiling: 15,100 meters

Japanese Fighters:
------------------
A6M8 Service Ceiling: 11,300 meters
Ki-84 Service Ceiling: 11,800 meters
Ki-87 Service Ceiling: 12,800 meters
Ki-100 Service Ceiling: 11,000 meters
A7M Service Ceiling: 10,900 meters
N1K Service Ceiling: 10,800 meters
J2M Service Ceiling: 11,400 meters

There are reasons why the nukes were able to deploy where they did, their service ceiling was not one of them.

:goonsay:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Physics are a false Jewish science invented by decedent Bolshevik intellectuals to subvert and corrupt völkisch ideals. The Reich does not need any nukes.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
By the time the nukes were ready, Japanese air power was not an issue at all. Virtually all airframes of the Home islands were situated along southern coastlines, and with enough fuel available to fly one mission - and not enough to return. (the reason why they were concentrated was that they didn't have enough fuel to fly any training or interception missions, so it was better to put them all in the range of possible Allied approaches for a land invasion, where they could be at least marginally useful. Allied planners knew that, and they expected to just plaster all the Japanese airfields with thousands of immobile fighters in one mighty swoop, should an invasion occur)

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 14:47 on Feb 23, 2017

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Dutchy posted:

I don't really know anyone who learned any world history in a class before college. I remember having to google the french revolution when i was a kid because i wasnt sure what it was but there were entire class periods spent on Andrew Carnegie.

To be fair, though, there was any number of "French Revolutions" at the end of the 18th century, along with maybe 30 notable figures, a whole ton of factions, and no shortage of incidents and decrees and affairs and the like. If you're a high school history teacher who has to cover from, say, the Renaissance to the Vietnam war in a semester, saying "and then they overthrew the monarchy" is about all you can hope for before you fall down the bottomless rabbit hole.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Mikl posted:

Which was a greater shame than anything, mostly due to Allende's plan about a "cybernetic" data system to manage the entire country, would have been interesting to see in action, using 70's era technology.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
Speaking of uranium, does anyone remember that I Love Lucy episode where the gang goes to Vegas for Ricky's show and they see an article about uranium in the Nevada desert? Well, that means big bucks, especially to Fred Murtz, so they all get into the car and hunt. I especially remember that episode because the few times I would catch an episode of I Love Lucy it was always THIS one.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

bean_shadow posted:

I especially remember that episode because the few times I would catch an episode of I Love Lucy it was always THIS one.

The gently caress is up with that, anyway? It's like, back when I would still watch a rerun of Seinfeld, half the time it was The Marble Rye. Do networks only buy like a quarter of the episodes for syndication?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That loving Friends episode where Chandler buys a boat at auction, thinking he was guessing the price.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Also it's "overthrown"

They don't because it was a real dick move on the part of America. Generally speaking American history in high school is super ultra nationalistic where America is rarely the bad guy. Even Vietnam is pretty heavily sanitized to make it look like an honest mistake made on the name of fighting the Russians rather than the awful horror of a crime that it was. Needless to say the real reason we were there in the first place or the poo poo America got up to in Laos before hand were never mentioned.

Like was said America did a lot of horrifying things during the cold war.

Serf
May 5, 2011

If it didn't happen in Europe or America, then it wasn't taught to me in school. We got a brief outline of the Greeks and Romans, then some of Britain and France, and then it was all America all the time. We didn't hear a single thing about Iran until the Iraq War, and even then it was just the country next to Iraq who is also bad.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That's horrifying to me. I thought I went to a pretty mediocre school but I had a specific class called "World Civ" and several units in other classes that were about world history. We read a book about the Ti An Men Massacre in English class, for instance.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Phy posted:

The gently caress is up with that, anyway? It's like, back when I would still watch a rerun of Seinfeld, half the time it was The Marble Rye. Do networks only buy like a quarter of the episodes for syndication?
When picking from small sets with replacement you get repeats unbelievably often. Combine with confirmation bias and you only ever see one episode of a sitcom every time you turn it on, and you hear the same song 5 times over an 8 hour car ride even though you have 20 hours of music loaded up on your phone.

It's known as the birthday problem because the example used is how people always end up having the same birthday at small dinner parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

RagnarokZ posted:

Which was a greater shame than anything, mostly due to Allende's plan about a "cybernetic" data system to manage the entire country, would have been interesting to see in action, using 70's era technology.

I dunno, the murder of hundreds of civilians and the overthrow of a democratic leader seems like a pretty great shame to me, but to each his own, I guess.