Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

weekly font posted:

Also, as terrible as Alex Jones is, that British moron they have farting around is worse by almost every measure

John Oliver?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Jenny Angel posted:

Enjoy some Sam Kriss, in that case

Mmmm yeah that's the stuff.

ha!

But where else will we get our TOTAL EVISCERATIONS OF DONALD TRUMP (LIKE AND SHARE!)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I always felt like that quote gets taken out of context since it's clearly the three discussing how to make Marion and Indy's relationship kind of hosed, not endorsing a 25 year old boning down with A teenager

Nah, that's... pretty much what they're doing? Spielberg even throws in a line about Marion being a "promiscuous" 12-year-old and coming on to Indy.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

GonSmithe posted:

This is really silly especially because you can literally never lose a fender-bender case and she would have had to pay for it.

Yeah. Realistically though I probably was never going to go to an auto shop to get these two little dings taken out of my bumper anyways, but I'm gonna take this as a learning experience and look up what you're actually supposed to do after an accident and make sure I'm prepared next time.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

weekly font posted:

But where else will we get our TOTAL EVISCERATIONS OF DONALD TRUMP (LIKE AND SHARE!)

Is it no longer cool to like John Oliver:ohdear:

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

Alhazred posted:

He's really not very funny. People act like his comedy routine is somehow hurting Trump too, which is just annoying.

I did like his bit about FIFA though.

Blisster fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 22, 2017

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Alhazred posted:

I like Newsman John Oliver more than I like Jokeman John Oliver.

Actorman John Oliver is also good.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Alhazred posted:

My problem is more people acting like his (or basically any news "comedy" that goes viral) Trump stuff matters in any way. But he only has like 3 templates for jokes and isn't very funny. I'll take Sam Bee over him any day but I'm not gonna pretend she's much more than a liberal O'Reilly or Hannity, giving the echo chamber exactly what it wants to hear.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

weekly font posted:

My problem is more people acting like his (or basically any news "comedy" that goes viral) Trump stuff matters in any way. But he only has like 3 templates for jokes and isn't very funny. I'll take Sam Bee over him any day but I'm not gonna pretend she's much more than a liberal O'Reilly or Hannity, giving the echo chamber exactly what it wants to hear.

I was gonna try to argue that the way certain people treat his show shouldn't really affect the actual value it has to inform as well as entertain, especially when he makes a concerted effort to actually delve into things instead of just pointing at Trump and saying "What a dumb gently caress!", but instead

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Sam B getting friendly with Glenn Beck shattered her credibility to me.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Lurdiak posted:

I was gonna try to argue that the way certain people treat his show shouldn't really affect the actual value it has to inform as well as entertain, especially when he makes a concerted effort to actually delve into things instead of just pointing at Trump and saying "What a dumb gently caress!", but instead

I mean it'd be nice if we lived in a world where things mattered but alas

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

weekly font posted:

I'll take Sam Bee over him any day but I'm not gonna pretend she's much more than a liberal O'Reilly or Hannity, giving the echo chamber exactly what it wants to hear.

Lot less outright lying involved with John Oliver admittedly.

e: oh you were talking about Sam Bee, I didn't even know she had a show.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 22, 2017

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Lot less outright lying involved with John Oliver admittedly.

e: oh you were talking about Sam Bee, I didn't even know she had a show.

Yeah no doubt but people watching Hannity have already convinced themselves they live in a fantasy world.

Sam Bee's show is better because it's less glib and more angry but it's still just a Daily Show spinoff.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Alhazred posted:

he was good as a Daily Show correspondent and funny on Community but Last Week Tonight suuuuuucks

MacheteZombie posted:

didn't she and her husband also try to get their kids' school segregated or some poo poo

that bit she did scolding protesters was pretty bad too.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I like Sam Bee but she is a through and through establishment Democrat and the line her show if anything prices how much of the annoying poo poo on the Daily Show was probably her.

I honestly people give Oliver a lot of crap for other people on the left being dumb about his stuff. Solve of goods joke structures can be tiring but his slow is mostly well researched and covers a wide range of topics well, and I feel at least his heart is in the right place with most of his stuff.

All of it is a bit echo chambery though, which is a problem the left has in general

MacheteZombie posted:

This was made worse for me by hearing Beck go on the NPR show On The Media and have that show not put up with any of his poo poo or let him forget all the awful poo poo he had done.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

he was good as a Daily Show correspondent and funny on Community but Last Week Tonight suuuuuucks

i agree his jokes suck, but his more in depth coverage of topics is pretty good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

while we're at it, Trevor Noah sucks too. everyone who has tried to take the Daily Show mantle has been bad (well I can't speak for Larry Wilmore, I never saw his show).

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

while we're at it, Trevor Noah sucks too. everyone who has tried to take the Daily Show mantle has been bad (well I can't speak for Larry Wilmore, I never saw his show).

Yeah Trevor has been a huge disappointment. Larry had some good segments, but he also had some poo poo opinions at times.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think Noah is slowly getting better but he's helped by having a good staff. He seems to be talented but he still feels like a bad fit for the show.

Wilmore had the opposite problem in that he was mostly pretty good but his staff suuuuuuuuccccccckkkkkked

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I just like to listen to Noah speak. Like, I want him to voice my GPS. I'd get an iPhone if he replaced Siri.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

glam rock hamhock posted:

I think Noah is slowly getting better but he's helped by having a good staff. He seems to be talented but he still feels like a bad fit for the show.

Wilmore had the opposite problem in that he was mostly pretty good but his staff suuuuuuuuccccccckkkkkked

real talk here

I'm not gonna pretend I didn't like Oliver's stuff on megachurches or FIFA but when he gets into stuff like DRUMPF he can gently caress right offff

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Gdi someone just rear ended my car while I was stopped at a red light :/ the only accidents I've ever been in have been jokers rear ending me while my car is stationary. This woman had just taken a left on red and was missing a headlight so you know she's rugged as gently caress

I'm fine, I didn't even get her insurance or anything (stupid of me tbh but it just didn't seem worth the hassle+ being late to work for) I just have to spend the next four years paying off a car with dents and a crack in the bumper now

That's dumb as poo poo dude. As absurd as it sounds, the damage to your car may be much greater than you can see and either require repairs in the future or compromise the safety of the vehicle in a more serious crash. For example your car may contain interior foam shock absorbers that are ruined after an impact - the last time someone hit me, the "ding" in my bumper cost them 1200 dollars to fix.

To also comment on the sort of overlooked part of that rant can I also say that if you've been convicted of a crime and served your time, I don't really find it to be horrible that you can get work again as long as you don't try to hide what you did and don't do anything else.

Yeah stuff like this is very police statey. What's your alternative? Life in prison, or death, for any crime that makes you feel uncomfortable around the con?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Actually he just turned 43. My dad is twenty years older than him and looks around the same age.

Unfair. It is well established that black don't crack. Poor Alex is whatever the opposite of that is.

You are what you eat is apparently NOT a figure of speech

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah it's been bad since Kilborn left

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

weekly font posted:

real talk here

I'm not gonna pretend I didn't like Oliver's stuff on megachurches or FIFA but when he gets into stuff like DRUMPF he can gently caress right offff

that's the thing, people can say "It's not John Oliver's fault, it's people on the left running with it and getting obnoxious," but the whole Drumpf thing was blatantly encouraging that kind of engagement with the material.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
See, to me the Drumpf thing is an example of his heart being in the right place but the execution not being very good and having any meaning it was supposed to have stripped away almost immediately by those that picked it up. I mean, I think it was supposed to draw attention to Trump's family being a immigrants that had to change their name due to their perceptions of potential persecution thus being a constant reminder that the policies that he's preaching would have kept his family out and the types of fears he's conjuring were present against his family in the past but instead it just sort of became a silly name people started calling him because they thought maybe, just maybe, it would annoy him.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
See ya whores, I'm outta here

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-telescope-reveals-largest-batch-of-earth-size-habitable-zone-planets-around

quote:

NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope has revealed the first known system of seven Earth-size planets around a single star. Three of these planets are firmly located in the habitable zone, the area around the parent star where a rocky planet is most likely to have liquid water.

Bringing my PC and my router, naming my planet "animé gundam".

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 22, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wake me when we get to see some aliens

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

See, to me the Drumpf thing is an example of his heart being in the right place but the execution not being very good and having any meaning it was supposed to have stripped away almost immediately by those that picked it up. I mean, I think it was supposed to draw attention to Trump's family being a immigrants that had to change their name due to their perceptions of potential persecution thus being a constant reminder that the policies that he's preaching would have kept his family out and the types of fears he's conjuring were present against his family in the past but instead it just sort of became a silly name people started calling him because they thought maybe, just maybe, it would annoy him.

Even in the bit itself though he cancels that out by spending so much time talking about what a silly name Drumpf is and actively encouraging making it into a meme.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
A will admit that the biggest flaw of Lay Week Tonight is that it wasn't too be big on social media so badly that it will often do that in detriment to any point it's actually making. Televisions hunger for social media interaction is like the single worst thing about television right now. It's always the worst and rarely does anything outside of drawing attention to the awkward feeling of desperation.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

didn't she and her husband also try to get their kids' school segregated or some poo poo

that bit she did scolding protesters was pretty bad too.
Yeah, specifically they were part of a group who wanted to block school redistricting that would desegregate the neighborhood schools on the grounds that "how dare the Dept of Ed cause any disruption to our carefully curated Rich New Yorker Lifestyles to benefit anyone outside our lil socioeconomic solidarity bloc." Sam Bee's husband even got up in front of a public hearing and warned everyone present not to talk to the press about the redistricting process because doing so might result in undue outside influence. Thankfully, their side lost the struggle.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Good, this planet's getting tapped out. Time to migrate and start over, but this time we have the technology to frack those planets within a few decades.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Sam Bee and John Oliver trick their content middle-class liberal audience into thinking they're actively working against Trump by consuming anti-Trump media. Why bother protesting or voting if you can just sit at home and watch Sam Bee and John Oliver deconstruct Trump's speech patterns? Ha ha he can't read, take that, drumpf!

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Sam Bee and John Oliver trick their content middle-class liberal audience into thinking they're actively working against Trump by consuming anti-Trump media. Why bother protesting or voting if you can just sit at home and watch Sam Bee and John Oliver deconstruct Trump's speech patterns? Ha ha he can't read, take that, drumpf!

To be fair, at least John Oliver covers a variety of topics that almost get zero coverage otherwise.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah besides just being ineffectual, with Bee and Maher we're also seeing people who try to position themselves as champions of the progressive movement actively working against it when it suits them.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sam Bee cozying up to Glenn Beck because he pretended to be woke for like two weeks was hilarious. Literally anybody could have seen how that would turn out.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Dissapointed Owl posted:

To be fair, at least John Oliver covers a variety of topics that almost get zero coverage otherwise.

"Almost zero coverage" is kinda disingenuous when the vast majority of his long-form segments I've seen constantly cut to clips of existing coverage on these issues. Almost zero national coverage, sure, but his main use is as a much-more-accessible aggregator of a lot of good local reporting and like, I dunno, Dateline

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Then you have people like Colbert who, after Scalia died, decided to tell an anecdote about how despite their political differences, he could really take a joke. A dude doesn't get to spend over two decades loving people over and then get excused for it because it's a "political difference" and gently caress off for even trying that.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Jenny Angel posted:

Almost zero national coverage, sure, but his main use is as a much-more-accessible aggregator of a lot of good local reporting and like, I dunno, Dateline

Which is a valuable thing to have.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Jenny Angel posted:

"Almost zero coverage" is kinda disingenuous when the vast majority of his long-form segments I've seen constantly cut to clips of existing coverage on these issues. Almost zero national coverage, sure, but his main use is as a much-more-accessible aggregator of a lot of good local reporting and like, I dunno, Dateline

Which is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's the equivalent of me listening to NOFX and Anti-Flag for my political rebellion in 2002. The difference is I was loving 15.

• Locked thread