Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

The Gnome posted:

BB/MM/EB or boutique? Want to learn more about REIB...

Asset level at one of the real estate services firms. No CRE thread on the forums yet, but I'll answer what I can.

First question though is what do you mean by REIB? Real estate services firms have REIB teams, but those do asset level debt/equity raises as opposed to something like capital markets or advisory for REITs or CMBS.

Edit: New page, uh, excel models and empty water bottles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

The Gnome posted:

Do you have a way of contacting you about life at a boutique? Currently at a BB and want to learn more

Yup, PM me. I actually just gave my 2 weeks lmao

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
I'm also at a boutique and I would be happy to address any questions you post in this thread. I've never worked at a bb firm so I can't give you comparisons other than what I've heard.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I'm halfway through an MBA and trying to figure out what I want to do; S&O consulting or banking are my main choices so far. I'm 31 and have had a very diverse career, but none of it involving money or corporate life. Hotel manager -> Army -> Teacher -> Principal -> self-employed woodworker. I'm starting to send my resume out to places in the area (I'm in Austin) but I'm getting automated rejections within 48 hours. Should I just be networking instead of blindly sending out resumes? My program is less than five years old, so job placement and alumni networks are nonexistent. Where do I start? I'm totally fine taking a business analyst position pretty much anywhere, and kick rear end in interviews. I just need a foot in the door.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

The answer to 'should I be networking' is pretty much always yes, especially when your resume is all over the place. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but you are way better off taking to a person about your story than having a machine read it.

The Gnome
Sep 8, 2011

by R. Guyovich

mike- posted:

I'm also at a boutique and I would be happy to address any questions you post in this thread. I've never worked at a bb firm so I can't give you comparisons other than what I've heard.

What type of boutique? NYC based? Just wondering what you're experiences are in terms of hours, work load, expectations from senior MDs and lifestyle..also, exit ops...thanks

The Gnome
Sep 8, 2011

by R. Guyovich

crazypeltast52 posted:

Asset level at one of the real estate services firms. No CRE thread on the forums yet, but I'll answer what I can.

First question though is what do you mean by REIB? Real estate services firms have REIB teams, but those do asset level debt/equity raises as opposed to something like capital markets or advisory for REITs or CMBS.

Edit: New page, uh, excel models and empty water bottles?

Was thinking more corporate level vs. asset level. I'm assuming the experience is pretty different between the two, obviously as the only RE i've been exposed to has been at my BB. Looking to make the move into RE long term but unsure if I should try to make a pit stop at a different sector group to get some more modeling experience before switching. How's the lifestyle and pay at your firm? What are your exit ops looking like (REPE i assume is the goal for most?)

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

The Gnome posted:

Was thinking more corporate level vs. asset level. I'm assuming the experience is pretty different between the two, obviously as the only RE i've been exposed to has been at my BB. Looking to make the move into RE long term but unsure if I should try to make a pit stop at a different sector group to get some more modeling experience before switching. How's the lifestyle and pay at your firm? What are your exit ops looking like (REPE i assume is the goal for most?)

Sorry, I'm not a banker. I do advisory services, specifically valuation for real estate, but in a secondary market. Life balance is good and pay is meh by banking standards, but good for the time investment/area.

I like real estate and plan to stay in it longer term, but will probably look to change careers within real estate in the next couple years as the long term progression im my role caps out at a lower level of comp.

But to answer the question, the firm I'm at has "investment banking" as a service, but it does asset level capital raises and acquisition/disposition of single assets, which could really be described as brokerage/mortgage brokerage with shopping of mezz/preferred on the assets.

The pay on that is similar to banking except at the top levels where things are lower because there are a lot fewer billion dollar plus deals. Depending on the shop, you get production comp, which is much more eat what you kill. Specifically, unless you go to Eastdil, you'll have a base salary that is generally low, plus part of whatever deals you team does, generally on a monthly basis.

REPE is less active in my market, but development is everywhere and pretty attractive, plus just owning smaller properties themselves that are below the level the firm deals in.

Other commercial real estate guys, do you see anything horribly wrong in what I'm saying or is there anything that would be more specific to primary markets?

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

The Gnome posted:

What type of boutique? NYC based? Just wondering what you're experiences are in terms of hours, work load, expectations from senior MDs and lifestyle..also, exit ops...thanks

We primarily do valuation and m&a advisory work for small and mid-market companies. Unlike some other boutiques, we don't specialize in any particular sector, so I get to work on all kinds of different industries. This has its upsides and downsides of course. I am based in Southern California. Workload is pretty heavy right now, but my hours seem to typically be more flexible than what I hear from people at larger firms. The biggest perk of being at a boutique is that there are more opportunities to work directly with MD's as well as senior management of your clients.

I think the exit opportunities for someone from a firm like mine are pretty varied. PE, larger IBs, corporate finance for a client, etc. Given that we do a lot of valuation work a lot of people have moved on to similar roles at the big 4. At a boutique there is going to be a cap on your career development unless you are the type of person who wants to be the guy who sells the work, so at some point you will likely have to move on if you don't have that personality.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

mike- posted:

We primarily do valuation and m&a advisory work for small and mid-market companies. Unlike some other boutiques, we don't specialize in any particular sector, so I get to work on all kinds of different industries. This has its upsides and downsides of course. I am based in Southern California. Workload is pretty heavy right now, but my hours seem to typically be more flexible than what I hear from people at larger firms. The biggest perk of being at a boutique is that there are more opportunities to work directly with MD's as well as senior management of your clients.

I think the exit opportunities for someone from a firm like mine are pretty varied. PE, larger IBs, corporate finance for a client, etc. Given that we do a lot of valuation work a lot of people have moved on to similar roles at the big 4. At a boutique there is going to be a cap on your career development unless you are the type of person who wants to be the guy who sells the work, so at some point you will likely have to move on if you don't have that personality.

drat, I was in almost this exact role at another Southern California bank. I just left for a corporate role, so the exit opps are varied. What's your vertical? I wonder if our paths ever crossed during my time there.

edit: I just read your post again and see you don't specialize. Reading comprehension!

moon demon fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 9, 2016

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007
I'm someone who has no background at all in finance and I am interested in breaking into I-banking. I will be attending B-school at Kellogg this coming fall. Any suggestions on some personal reading/learning I can do between now and school start in August? Are there any good books to start learning the financial skills needed for I-banking?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

skystream92 posted:

I'm someone who has no background at all in finance and I am interested in breaking into I-banking. I will be attending B-school at Kellogg this coming fall. Any suggestions on some personal reading/learning I can do between now and school start in August? Are there any good books to start learning the financial skills needed for I-banking?

http://www.amazon.com/Investment-Banking-Valuation-Leveraged-Acquisitions/dp/1118656210

This and the two prep courses online will get you 80% there.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Josh Lyman posted:

I spent 5 years in a finance PhD program and my dissertation was on high frequency asset pricing but I left before finishing.

I'm afraid firms won't hire me because they could hire actual PhDs for quant work and MBAs for the other stuff. Is this fear justified?

FWIW, I also have a BS and MS in Electrical and Computer Engineering.
Some places are snobby about it, but other places think of dropouts as a 'good deal'. As a (admittedly new) quant at a well-regarded fund, if I see a PhD on a resume then I'm gonna judge them on the work they did. Whether they actually finished is almost irrelevant.

If you've done quantitative work you're proud of, if you're a strong mathematician and if you're a decent software dev, then you should have no trouble finding somewhere. If you're missing one of those three things, then for quant work at least things might be trickier.

e: is there a buy-side thread around here

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 14, 2016

Buckhead
Aug 12, 2005

___ days until the 2010 trade deadline :(

As someone planning to apply to MBAs later this year without a finance background, I bought this and found it immensely helpful. Thank you.

Is there a similar book for venture capital? I am interested in learning the different funding methods, how valuations are completed (I assume this is different then "standard" I-banking), term sheets, capital structures, etc.

Buckhead fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 29, 2016

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

So I somehow landed a gig in an MM private equity firm fresh out of uni with a degree in pol science and economics. The only real experience I've had with excel was a lone stats unit 3 years ago where we had to construct pivot tables. Any good resources to speed up my excel workflow? Had my mind blown yesterday when someone, demonstrating something, hit a bunch of keys to change loving text alignment

Youtube excel videos seem to be uniformly narrated by people with near-unintelligible accents, or speaking as if afraid that they might wake someone up

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

So I somehow landed a gig in an MM private equity firm fresh out of uni with a degree in pol science and economics. The only real experience I've had with excel was a lone stats unit 3 years ago where we had to construct pivot tables. Any good resources to speed up my excel workflow? Had my mind blown yesterday when someone, demonstrating something, hit a bunch of keys to change loving text alignment

Youtube excel videos seem to be uniformly narrated by people with near-unintelligible accents, or speaking as if afraid that they might wake someone up

He probably used an alt-H-ac or whatever. Hit alt to see what the available shortcuts are for what you want to do. Look up a sheet that has all the shortcuts you need that are faster than alt functions and then use them for the rest. Then literally unplug your mouse and do that for a bit

MassiveTrauma
Mar 31, 2010

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Any good resources to speed up my excel workflow?

Assuming you want to do more than keyboard shortcuts, you should get Benninga's Financial Modelling which is the gold standard for how to effectively use Excel for corporate finance.

Swingline
Jul 20, 2008
Here is how you learn to use the keyboard only in excel without any training materials:

1: you realize you need to do something (I.E. add a row)
2: for the last time ever for adding a row, you will use your mouse to navigate the ribbon to find where adding a row is (Home > Insert > Insert Rows)
3: repeat step 2 but instead of clicking, press alt and follow the hotkeys that appear above each option ( alt + H + I + R)
4: write down on a piece of paper next to your computer "ADD ROW = ALT H I R"
5: never use your mouse for adding a row again

You will have adding rows as keyboard muscle memory in no time. This can be done for anything as simple as pasting values to as complicated as delimiting data. The point is that everything is possible with the keyboard and much faster too.

Swingline fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 10, 2016

Swingline
Jul 20, 2008
If anyone is looking to lateral, my team on the ECM desk of a bulge bracket is looking for an analyst. PM me if interested. We'd also be open to considering someone who has done finance/accounting-related work since graduating but is looking to get into banking.

Swingline fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 10, 2016

Buckhead
Aug 12, 2005

___ days until the 2010 trade deadline :(
Does anyone have a recommended resource for downloading sample Excel models? I have been reading a lot about that in various resources, and am eager to play around with some.

FrenchConnection
Aug 27, 2007

"I'm the hand up Mona Lisa's skirt. I'm a surprise, Kevin. They don't see me coming: that's what you're missing."

Swingline posted:

Here is how you learn to use the keyboard only in excel without any training materials:

2: for the last time ever for adding a row, you will use your mouse to navigate the ribbon to find where adding a row is (Home > Insert > Insert Rows)
3: repeat step 2 but instead of clicking, press alt and follow the hotkeys that appear above each option ( alt + H + I + R)

You will have adding rows as keyboard muscle memory in no time. This can be done for anything as simple as pasting values to as complicated as delimiting data. The point is that everything is possible with the keyboard and much faster too.

Also google/ask your colleagues. For example I've found it faster to add new rows using shift + spacebar and then ctrl + + to add a row.

Buckhead posted:

Does anyone have a recommended resource for downloading sample Excel models? I have been reading a lot about that in various resources, and am eager to play around with some.

For financial modeling resources these two websites are pretty helpful:
https://www.macabacus.com/learn
http://www.asimplemodel.com/default.aspx

FrenchConnection fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 25, 2016

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Hello, IB thread. I'm doing the CFA Level 1 this December and was hoping I could get some informal help with wrapping my head around a few topics. Specifically, the financial statement analysis (inc.st. bal.sht. and c.f.) accounting stuff, the long-term assets stuff, and the lease stuff.

I've worked my way through the material several times but it just can't seem to stick. Was a borderline fail last December and this FR&A section was my weakest part of the test, so I need a bit of help with it.

Ideally I'd prefer to just pick one of your brains via PM because my list of specific questions is fairly long, so if there's anyone interested in getting PM spammed please let me know. I know this isn't the CFA thread but this IB one seems to be the closest thing among the active megathreads going on here on SA.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Sep 16, 2016

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Love Stole the Day posted:

Hello, IB thread. I'm doing the CFA Level 1 this December and was hoping I could get some informal help with wrapping my head around a few topics. Specifically, the financial statement analysis (inc.st. bal.sht. and c.f.) accounting stuff, the long-term assets stuff, and the lease stuff.

I've worked my way through the material several times but it just can't seem to stick. Was a borderline fail last December and this FR&A section was my weakest part of the test, so I need a bit of help with it.

Ideally I'd prefer to just pick one of your brains via PM because my list of specific questions is fairly long, so if there's anyone interested in getting PM spammed please let me know. I know this isn't the CFA thread but this IB one seems to be the closest thing among the active megathreads going on here on SA.

I can probably help you with the accounting stuff send me a PM

mad_Thick
Aug 4, 2014
Hello all,

I am currently in my senior year studying Economics at UC Davis. I recently learned that I'll be able to graduate at the end of Spring 2017. So now I feel slightly panicky. I was originally planning on finishing in Dec. 2017, so I was planning on completing another internship and hopefully line myself up with a job. Right now I'm currently interning in the Morgan Stanley Financial Training Program. I may extend my graduation so I can secure another internship.

But if not, what are some certifications/licensing exams I can work on to make myself more competitive? I often see Series 7, 63, 86, & 87 licensing exams listed in preferred qualifications.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
How toxic is Steven A. Cohen at this point? Would working at his family office be a bad career move?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I mean could be worse, you could work at Gartner.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I...don't know. You have to be good to get hired there, but it seems like firms won't want attention that comes with hiring you, maybe. If that's the only exit you have into the buyside it is going to be hard to say no. Plus you can work in the new glass and steel fortress he is building as a gently caress you to the city

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

It's not so much only exit to buy side as entrance into finance. I have some skills that are potentially useful at a number of places, but I've been trying to avoid the non-revenue trap. Jumping straight to buy-side (especially when there's no clients to be acquired) seems like a big opportunity, but I worry about what comes next.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

The no clients thing isn't forever though, that part goes away in what, a year or two?

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

crazypeltast52 posted:

The no clients thing isn't forever though, that part goes away in what, a year or two?

At a family office? Or do you mean after?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

KernelSlanders posted:

At a family office? Or do you mean after?

Oh, I meant his restriction on taking outside money. Although he has that other thing he doesn't run, but has a stake in that can take outside money

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
This is, again, the closest thing to a CFA thread I can find on these forums, sadly.

Found out the other week that I passed the level 1. No finance background at all. Do you guys think this is sufficient for getting maybe an entry level or junior job at some third-rate firm in Anytown, USA? Was thinking of a career switch and thought that the fields of Equity Research and Security Analysis sounded cool because I like sitting around reading boring poo poo all day (like these forums, for example).

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

crazypeltast52 posted:

Oh, I meant his restriction on taking outside money. Although he has that other thing he doesn't run, but has a stake in that can take outside money

If you can actually land a job at point72 you should take it, regardless of your actual track.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

Love Stole the Day posted:

This is, again, the closest thing to a CFA thread I can find on these forums, sadly.

Found out the other week that I passed the level 1. No finance background at all. Do you guys think this is sufficient for getting maybe an entry level or junior job at some third-rate firm in Anytown, USA? Was thinking of a career switch and thought that the fields of Equity Research and Security Analysis sounded cool because I like sitting around reading boring poo poo all day (like these forums, for example).

You need to give more details on yourself and what you actually want to do. but third rate research firms are more likely to go out of business. What do you mean security analysis? Back office portfolio stuff or being part of an investment team? What's your relevant experience?

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Swingline posted:

A few additional thoughts:
1 - Look up the basics, especially the navigation shortcuts, because those can't be learned
2. Once you've done that, just use 'alt' to select things and don't let yourself use your mouse. I literally unplugged it for awhile, which was probably excessive, but was very effective
3 - You should also rly learn shortcuts for eg navigating the windows file explorer. It makes things so much faster.

ProSlayer
Aug 11, 2008

Hi friend
What are good ways of understanding whether finance is a good career choice, and specifically, what department within finance is a good fit (M&A, S&T, PE, etc.)?

I did my undergrad in Computer Engineering and spent the last four years working as a software engineer. I'm starting a T20 MBA program this fall and am looking at switching into investment banking. I've read Monkey Business and Liar's Poker, and while they're good at giving the feel of the profession, I want to know if there are any hands on ways of seeing if it's for me.

I'm taking financial modeling and accounting clases on Coursera and am looking into buying one of the self-study coursers on WallStreetPrep.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

ProSlayer posted:

What are good ways of understanding whether finance is a good career choice, and specifically, what department within finance is a good fit (M&A, S&T, PE, etc.)?

I did my undergrad in Computer Engineering and spent the last four years working as a software engineer. I'm starting a T20 MBA program this fall and am looking at switching into investment banking. I've read Monkey Business and Liar's Poker, and while they're good at giving the feel of the profession, I want to know if there are any hands on ways of seeing if it's for me.

I'm taking financial modeling and accounting clases on Coursera and am looking into buying one of the self-study coursers on WallStreetPrep.

What are your thoughts on staying up until 5 am on a Sunday modeling FCF for a business that won't even read your analysis?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

Are you getting into finance because you have a particular interest in finance, or are you just looking to stack cash?

Because if it's the latter, then as a software dev there are easier and cheaper ways for you to do that than an MBA.

ProSlayer
Aug 11, 2008

Hi friend

Time posted:

What are your thoughts on staying up until 5 am on a Sunday modeling FCF for a business that won't even read your analysis?

I've always found doing mindless and repetitive work soothing.

coffeetable posted:

Are you getting into finance because you have a particular interest in finance, or are you just looking to stack cash?

Because if it's the latter, then as a software dev there are easier and cheaper ways for you to do that than an MBA.

I'm bored of working in software dev, and wanted to look into other fields that attract quant-focused self-hating individuals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Well then, the next question is: are you any good at
  • probability
  • statistics
  • multivariable calculus
  • linear algebra
  • optimization
?

• Locked thread