Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I know ya'll love some Linus up in here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rUndzpdo1I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Linus claims XFR for the 1800x and 1700x goes to 4.1 and 3.9 respectively.

Iirc, watched the video and for ago

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Somebody should post a new AMD thread for Ryzen and I will close this one. Dunno if this should be now or when we have more details, but it should happen!

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

TomR posted:

I know ya'll love some Linus up in here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rUndzpdo1I

Already posted here like an hour ago.

Gwaihir posted:

I've never really been able to talk myself in to buying based on "premium binning/overclocking ability" but I can and definitely have bought stuff for marginal feature bonuses/extra cores etc.

I'm the same way. I will generally get the lowest price option that has the cores/features that I want.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Alereon posted:

Somebody should post a new AMD thread for Ryzen and I will close this one. Dunno if this should be now or when we have more details, but it should happen!

I think it would be worth waiting until we know if it's a goldmine of megahurtz or a wet fart.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Boiled Water posted:

I think it would be worth waiting until we know if it's a goldmine of megahurtz or a wet fart.

So in just over a week.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I'm sorry. Somehow I missed it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

Pre-orders opening a week before review NDAs are lifted is such bullshit rofl.
AMD have been pretty amazing at keeping the conversation going about Ryzen for weeks, someone in marketing deserves a raise.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Still AMD doing the benchmarking but here's the final specs of what they're claiming. Basically they claim to be strictly better at the top level of the high-end (at half the price and with a lower power use), while for the more mainstream (still high-end of mainstream) chips they're conceding they're worse on single-threaded but are banking on 8/16 putting them ahead.

quote:

The top-end part is the R7 1800X. This $499 chip will have a 3.6GHz base speed and a 4.0GHz boost speed, with a 95W TDP. AMD is positioning it against Intel's i7-6900K, a $1,050 processor using the Broadwell-E core running at 3.2 GHz, and turboing up to 3.7GHz.

In the Cinebench R15 multithreaded rendering test, AMD says that its new processor scores about 9 percent higher than Intel's. In the single threaded version of the same test, it's a dead heat.

AMD hasn't quite matched Broadwell's instructions per clock—it's relying on a few hundred extra megahertz to achieve that tied score—but it's not far off. And given that the Ryzen ships at a few hundred extra megahertz more than Intel's twice-as-expensive chip, the shortfall in IPC is largely academic. IPC is interesting in that it gives a sense of how cores are designed, but workloads aren't constrained by IPC or clock speed per se; they're constrained by thermal and power constraints. And AMD compares very favorably there, too: the Intel chip is a 140W part, so can use about 50 percent more power than the AMD.

Per AMD's demonstrations, the Ryzen also beat the Intel chip in Handbrake video encoding and boasted somewhat better frame rates in Sniper Elite 4 at 4K.

The other two parts are the R7 1700X, a $399 part with a base of 3.4GHz and a boost of 3.8GHz; and the R7 1700, with clocks of 3.0 and 3.7GHz, selling for $329. AMD is positioning these against the $439 Intel Core i7-6800K (a six-core, 12-thread part) and $349 Core i7-7700K, respectively.

This last comparison is particularly significant; the Kaby Lake processor is only a four-core, eight-thread processor. It has a sizable clockspeed advantage—its base frequency of 4.2GHz is higher than the boost frequency of any Ryzen, and it turbos all the way up to 4.5GHz—and AMD concedes that in strictly single threaded workloads, the Intel chip will open up a gap over the Ryzen, but as soon as you're doing something that can use all eight of those cores and all 16 of those simultaneous threads, that clock speed delta shows its limits: in Cinebench the Ryzen is 46 percent faster.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/02/amd-ryzen-arrives-march-2-8-cores-16-threads-from-just-329/

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 22, 2017

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

ufarn posted:

AMD have been pretty amazing at keeping the conversation going about Ryzen for weeks, someone in marketing deserves a raise.

It doesn't hurt that they're releasing a product worth talking about into a market that's been stagnant for years. When's the last time you got excited over a processor?

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

betamax hipster posted:

It doesn't hurt that they're releasing a product worth talking about into a market that's been stagnant for years. When's the last time you got excited over a processor?

100% of respondents said the 2500k.

Looks like I may finally make the jump above 4 cores. I'll wait a bit and see how the independent benchmarks turn out, as well as what Intel does with their pricing/launch schedule. Either upgrade would require a new motherboard, so Intel would need to achieve some semblance of price:performance parity. (or some "LOL psych here's an octocore on the 1151 socket" shenanigans)

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Can someone explain how OCing works for Ryzen? Is it automatic with XFR, or is there still a manual element to it?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Interesting but their price point puts the top Ryzen on price parity with the 6800K while not offering Quad channel ram and as many PCI-E lanes, it does offer more cores, more cache, and a pretty good power savings so it will be interesting to see how it competes and how Intel plans to respond.

Considering I don't think anyone at Intel expected AMD to actually catch up, I can't believe they have anything truly in the pipeline for at least the next year that they could change quick enough to respond, unless they want another Broadwell/Skylake buggy mess.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

ufarn posted:

Can someone explain how OCing works for Ryzen? Is it automatic with XFR, or is there still a manual element to it?

You can still manually tune things as always.

XFR seems to be a sort of "auto overclock mode," where the system will dial itself up a little past boost if it sees adequate cooling.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

ufarn posted:

You can manual OC or you can let XFR do its thing if you give it enough TDP headroom with good (probably dual fan AIO watercooling will be needed if you want XFR to keep boost clocks near peak under load all the time with 8 cores, certainly if you want to really push OC'ing based on leaks so far) cooling of some sort.

Its possible you may be able to use XFR and manual OC to some extent and there is per core OC'ing too but we don't know the specifics yet.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
AMD is still too afraid to do a head-to-head match up with the 2500k.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Alereon posted:

AMD CPU and Platform Discussion: Ryzen from your grave!

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I'm writing a new OP right now, it'll probably be up this afternoon.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
NASDAQ:AMD : Choochoo all aboard, oh yeah they make CPUS

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Sinestro posted:

Thanks dude! Please use the "I want to believe" tag (unless it is not available then I will change it later.)

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

betamax hipster posted:

Every time cool new monster server CPUs come out to run my database servers!! :haw:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

betamax hipster posted:

There was hype about the devils canyon.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sinestro posted:

Please include threadripper tia

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I really wish I bought more AMD stock back when I got in... I also wish I was a little less risk averse and would buy more now... but... :ohdear:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If you're not losing money you're already ahead of most.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

PerrineClostermann posted:

If you're not losing money you're already ahead of most.

The only way to possibly be losing money with AMD stock right now is to have purchased it over 10 years ago.

Or this morning it opened really high and down like 13cents.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Rumour: 1800X OC'd on LN2 to 5.14 GHz - 2449 Cinebench WR

Set your Air/Liquid expectations accordingly

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Alereon posted:

How about we merge with the Intel thread and just call it the x86 thread? I don't see a great reason to keep them separate when they've both been so slow moving for the last 3 years.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
I just built my computer in december, but drat am I glad to see AMD getting into the game again.

Competition is the best!

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The Something Awful Forums > Serious Hardware/Software Crap > Ryze of the Threadripper

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

How about we merge with the Intel thread and just call it the x86 thread? I don't see a great reason to keep them separate when they've both been so slow moving for the last 3 years.

looks like things might change!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Those stock coolers sure are pretty :allears:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So uh in Finland X1700+X370 asus prime + 2x8gb ddr4 3600 cl15 gskill trident z = 885€.

6900k with similar asus mobo and same memory = 1800€

???

This is not a hard decision.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Risky Bisquick posted:

NASDAQ:AMD : Choochoo all aboard, oh yeah they make CPUS

Basically this? I started buying stocks because of Ryzen a month ago and I'm up 35%.

Edit 1: New egg canada doesn't have their pre-orders up... My hype is reaching a climax. Come on!

Edit 2: Never mind, all is well.

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 22, 2017

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.alza.hu/EN/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-d4737711.htm?catid=18842843
https://www.alza.hu/EN/asus-prime-x370-pro-d4737579.htm?catid=18842832

Now if only I had $830, 27% tax is loving awful. I may have to make do with a six core :(

Edit: actually my usual store is probably a fair bit cheaper, seems everything at Alza is overpriced.

Anarchist Mae fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 22, 2017

jpl9330
Oct 3, 2013
Preorder is in for two of them. One for me and one for my buddy who's rebuilding at the same time. With my employee rebate I'm at like $800 for two.

Now I need to start scoping out motherboards.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
drat living in Canada sometimes. I would have gotten charging 650 for currency differences for the 1800x, but 750 at 1.5 times the amount seems very greedy Newegg Canada.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

There better not be 200 new posts of AMD stock talk.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

incoherent posted:

There better not be 200 new posts of AMD stock talk.

No thats /r/wallstreetbets/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

incoherent posted:

There better not be 200 posts of AMD stock talk.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5vcoui/worth_buying_amd_stock_before_ryzen_is_released/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5viob9/where_do_i_buy_amd_stock/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5vjy27/looking_into_buying_shares_in_amd/

• Locked thread