Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

That Robot posted:

you've got some terrible opinions duder :cheers:

I mean, what part do you disagree with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TheIllestVillain posted:

wasnt weed criminalised in the first place cause it was "black thing"

Actually just to be a nitpicky bitch; it was originally criminalized because it was a "Mexican" thing, as in migrant workers from South of the border would smoke it and the white folks were looking for reasons to poo poo on them so it became "the brown people smoke reefer which makes them crazy murder rapists!"

The "black musicians are luring your kids with drugs and Satan" stuff came later.

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

If you really wanted to, there's a decent argument that white people with weed is a strong display of privilege considering how little trouble they'd get into if caught compared to say...a black person.

Yea.

Crack + cocaine are the same way.

really queer Christmas posted:

A lot of drug laws were written 100+ years ago and were most definitely racially motivated. There's a reason a large portion of the black male population is behind bars on drug charges.

You could make the argument that even relatively recent drug laws are pretty much racially motivated and just a way to keep prisons full of cheap labor with people that society at large isn't going to give a poo poo about.

Haven't heard a single Republican decry the competition the average American worker has to deal with from prison labor. Outsourcing they'll talk about all day but when companies get stuff from prison manufacturing paying out $1 or less an hour... nothing.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 22, 2017

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Weed was criminalized for the same reason it remains criminal - to strengthen the power of the state and to control the population. It was a politically motivated decision

substance that relaxes people and makes them more likely to tolerate poo poo banned by government in attempt at controlling population, says renowned local poster very seriously

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

I mean, what part do you disagree with

lol i am dead this is hell

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

substance that relaxes people and makes them more likely to tolerate poo poo banned by government in attempt at controlling population, says renowned local poster very seriously

Uh, it is.

quote:

The demonization of the cannabis plant was an extension of the demonization of the Mexican immigrants. In an effort to control and keep tabs on these new citizens, El Paso, TX borrowed a play from San Francisco’s playbook, which had outlawed opium decades earlier in an effort to control Chinese immigrants. The idea was to have an excuse to search, detain and deport Mexican immigrants.

That excuse became marijuana.

This method of controlling people by controlling their customs was quite successful, so much so that it became a national strategy for keeping certain populations under the watch and control of the government.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

what... is... this... feeling. agreeing with SPH. Oh, it burns.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

fyodor posted:

lol i am dead this is hell
welcome to hellthread where 25% of posters are youtube frog men please enjoy your stay also please dont say mean things about white people racism is dead

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Our drug policy is designed to keep minorities in prisons for profit.

I feel like that much is obvious since that's the only thing our drug policy is actually good at doing regardless of all the rhetoric around it. Of course it is a tool of population control; just look at the communities devastated by our policies.

quote:

I'm not guilty. You're the one that's guilty. The lawmakers, the politicians, the Columbian drug lords, all you who lobby against making drugs legal. Just like you did with alcohol during the prohibition. You're the one who's guilty. I mean, c'mon, let's kick the ballistics here: Ain't no Uzi's made in Harlem. Not one of us in here owns a poppy field. This thing is bigger than Nino Brown. This is big business. This is the American way.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

Haven't heard a single Republican decry the competition the average American worker has to deal with from prison labor. Outsourcing they'll talk about all day but when companies get stuff from prison manufacturing paying out $1 or less an hour... nothing.

As long as the labour is in America that's all they care about

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

Our drug policy is designed to keep minorities in prisons for profit.

This, plus it is a way to warehouse surplus manpower. It's the ravages of globalization - take away their factory jobs, turn them into criminals, and then lock them up so they can't fight back

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
also fyi but the oldest archaeological find of psychoactive marijuana was in the tomb of a shaman who was a member of the yuezhi who were an ancient group of whites in western china so until something older is dug up it's apparently cultural appropriation from whites .

that is if i gave a poo poo about that sort of thing :grin:

rezatahs fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 22, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

rezatahs posted:

also fyi but the oldest archaeological find of psychoactive marijuana was in the tomb of a shaman who was a member of the yuezhi who were an ancient group of whites in western china so until something older is dug up it's apparently cultural appropriation from whites .

that is if i gave a poo poo about that sort of thing :grin:

weed is very much something white people are into i dont know if you heard about this

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

It was criminalized because hemp threatened the cotton and textiles industries.

The justifications given to the public were racially motivated.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Juan Carlos III posted:

It was criminalized because hemp threatened the cotton and textiles industries.

The justifications given to the public were racially motivated.

but hemp isn't marijuana :shrug:

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Juan Carlos III posted:

It was DONE because MONEY

The justifications given to the public were EMOTIONAL.

Just follow this pattern for all reality and things make more sense

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Just follow this pattern for all reality and things make more sense

dude what are you doing you are breaking character with this reasonableness.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

fyodor posted:

dude what are you doing you are breaking character with this reasonableness.

I've always been reasonable, there's just separate information flows right now so everyone is in their own little reality, the internet is a huge propaganda mill

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

fyodor posted:

weed is very much something white people are into i dont know if you heard about this

hmmm i will have to do more research

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

I've always been reasonable, there's just separate information flows right now so everyone is in their own little reality, the internet is a huge propaganda mill

being anti-corporate prison system is woefully off-message, eia alala!

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
Prison labor should only exist as far as training inmates for their release. These companies that use prison labor should be forced to hire a percentage of inmates from those facilities upon release.

I think I heard of some Alaskan prison that did training for underwater welders, and on release they started making 80-90k and their recidivism rate was 0

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

fyodor posted:

being anti-corporate prison system is woefully off-message, eia alala!

believe it or not people don't fit in the narrow political spectrum like you think they do

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Prison labor should only exist as far as training inmates for their release. These companies that use prison labor should be forced to hire a percentage of inmates from those facilities upon release.

I think I heard of some Alaskan prison that did training for underwater welders, and on release they started making 80-90k and their recidivism rate was 0

imo prison labor is fine as long as 100% of it is just for upkeep of the facility or for training like you said. I don't have a problem with prisoners doing the electrical work in the prison as part of jobs training as opposed to hiring out for an electrician or stuff like that.

But yeah a lot of prison labor isn't even useful job training; it is low skill work assembling uniforms/clothes on a line and poo poo.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
having prisoners work on the prison's electrical system? what could go wrong!

*12AM all the cell doors open at the same time*

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

imo prison labor is fine as long as 100% of it is just for upkeep of the facility or for training like you said. I don't have a problem with prisoners doing the electrical work in the prison as part of jobs training as opposed to hiring out for an electrician or stuff like that.

But yeah a lot of prison labor isn't even useful job training; it is low skill work assembling uniforms/clothes on a line and poo poo.

In some prisons in Alabama the labor is literally picking cotton.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

WatermelonGun posted:

Meanwhile what we really need to be mad about is some guy saying things on the internet.

Not the literal slavery going on in the current year, that issue isn't trending.

Twitter is hot right now.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

WatermelonGun posted:

lmao we've come a long way in 150 or so years

and people wonder why black people riot. poo poo I'd be rioting too.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

a bone to pick posted:

believe it or not people don't fit in the narrow political spectrum like you think they do

lol

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
Things are surely better in Europe and Asia where you have deep hatred for all of your neighbours who are racially the same but have minor cultural differences, which occasionally flares into bloody wars.

Racism is inevitable. America youre not doing as bad as you guys think.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
But Trump said it's a mess !

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I dabbled with the College Republicans back in the day and voted for McCain in 2008 until I eventually snapped to the left over basically every policy that isn't guns. Sometimes I wonder if I'd be trying to justify support for Trump or just dehumanizing myself and facing the bloodshed if the blanket GOP opposition to their own policies during the Obama years hadn't put my cognitive dissonance over the top.

Other days I just wander off into the woods and hope the angry bear from all the Christian parable parodies this site came up with in its heyday shows up to restore my faith and grant me a merciful and bloody death.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

But Trump said it's a mess !

someone is doing the raping this raping isn't just raping all by its rape self

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

so you are saying you don't give a poo poo about white people? that's racist

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

White people as defined by anyone looking Caucasian or white people as defined by ultra-racists who think only W. Europeans are really white?

trick question; kill em all let Бог sort em out

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

this is what ive been saying all along; the left is just so intolerant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfhEv90Vyn4&t=8s

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Moridin920 posted:

Serious question: what work would be acceptable to you for inmates to perform?
Making big rocks into little rocks?

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Fog Tripper posted:

With Trump's experience in reality TV, he should push a law through to start letting prisoners fight to the death for their freedom on pay-per-view.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

Mammal Sauce posted:

With Trump's experience in reality TV, he should push a law through to start letting prisoners fight to the death for their freedom on pay-per-view.

Monday Night REHABILITATION!!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Fog Tripper posted:

Yea the cotton is a step up from when they made them perform minstrel shows in blackface. Work is work, though, ya know?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fog Tripper posted:

Stuff that gives them marketable skills for when they are released, stuff that is for the maintenance of the prison.

Like I have no issue with prisoners working in the kitchen, being janitorial staff, fixing minor plumbing/electrical problems (everyone should know how to change out a wall socket at least), masonry work to maintain/improve prison facilities, stuff like that.

Basically nothing that can be sold as labor to an outside company. Prisoners should not be making uniforms for <$1/hr for example. Did you know that the tilapia at Whole Foods sold for like $10-12/lb is raised by prisoners being paid like $0.75 an hour? That's hosed up imo.

McDonald's gets a lot of its stuff like uniforms + cutlery from prison labor. Victoria's Secret gets clothing sewn for them. The list goes on and on.

AT&T uses prison labor for their call centers, paying less than $2/day.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Moridin920 posted:

Stuff that gives them marketable skills for when they are released, stuff that is for the maintenance of the prison.

Like I have no issue with prisoners working in the kitchen, being janitorial staff, fixing minor plumbing/electrical problems (everyone should know how to change out a wall socket at least), masonry work to maintain/improve prison facilities, stuff like that.

Basically nothing that can be sold as labor to an outside company. Prisoners should not be making uniforms for <$1/hr for example. Did you know that the tilapia at Whole Foods sold for like $10-12/lb is raised by prisoners being paid like $0.75 an hour? That's hosed up imo.

McDonald's gets a lot of its stuff like uniforms + cutlery from prison labor. Victoria's Secret gets clothing sewn for them. The list goes on and on.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/09/30/444797169/whole-foods-says-it-will-stop-selling-foods-made-by-prisoners

loooool

• Locked thread