Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
There was also a bedridden-sized lady who lost an immense amount of weight with Richard Simmons' personal attention, IIRC. He started her out with clapping. Just clapping. Which is a heavy exercise if you're bedridden-sized.

I think she got down to the "slightly overweight" kind of average older-but-not-quite-elderly lady build, but I could be confusing two people. She did lose enough to be able to walk around, I remember that.

All of this is something I read like 18 years ago in one of my mom's magazines, sooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Richard Simmons is definitely plenty AUG enough for this thread, but he never gets the credit he deserves for literally saving people's lives. The way he made most of his money is kinda bullshit(those diet plans don't really seem to work), but he used to take on personal projects all the time of people who were in a death spiral and if not for him stepping in they'd definitely be dead. He's probably personally saved the lives of 100+ people.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Text contains the term 'AUG'
Posted in the thread 'AUG Thread: My god this man's taint is HUGE'
Showing results 1 to 10 of 189 results. Query took 1.25 seconds to complete.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Dongicus posted:

It is bizarre to me how many goons get so drat ruffled that a thread developed a shorthand slang word.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Dongicus posted:

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Basebf555 posted:

Richard Simmons is definitely plenty AUG enough for this thread, but he never gets the credit he deserves for literally saving people's lives. The way he made most of his money is kinda bullshit(those diet plans don't really seem to work), but he used to take on personal projects all the time of people who were in a death spiral and if not for him stepping in they'd definitely be dead. He's probably personally saved the lives of 100+ people.

He didn't peddle diet plans; he peddled Sweatin' to the Oldies! He's a great guy, and unfortunately he's in a very bad place now.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Heath posted:

It is bizarre to me how many goons get so drat ruffled that a thread developed a shorthand slang word.

Wait does anyone post about it besides Dongicus

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

spray-paint the vegetables
dog food stalls
with the beefcake pantyhose
Grimey Drawer

Apex A U G - Help!!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Leon Einstein posted:

He didn't peddle diet plans; he peddled Sweatin' to the Oldies! He's a great guy, and unfortunately he's in a very bad place now.
He was behind the Deal-a-Meal diet plan, but it was reasonable and free of woo.

I have a soft spot for the guy and hope things improve for him. :unsmith:

eta: Also the Richard Simmons Diet.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm a being of pure light though still with classically handsome bone structure. My rear end is immaculately shaped as if carved by Kojima himself, but still human and approachable.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

EmmyOk posted:

I'm a being of pure light though still with classically handsome bone structure. My rear end is immaculately shaped as if carved by Kojima himself, but still human and approachable.

I'm so ready to be ashamed of my words and deeds after reading this

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

Mads Mikkelsen?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Wait what's up with Richard Simmons rn?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Americans have a distorted view on body image, particularly directed toward women. Goons wring their hands about kids growing up in a dystopia too permissive of obesity but our society puts an enormous emphasis on the desirability of women based on their size. My cousin, at 11,used to worry about getting fat because "boys won't like me then". Girls that haven't even hit puberty yet are developing eating disorders.

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's never too late. That super giant dude in Mexico or wherever lost like 800lbs. I'm at work so can't look up the story or anything, but I think he may actually be able to walk again after being bed ridden for years and years. It takes hard work and commitment and a lifestyle change. That's why everyone doesn't do it.

Manuel Uribe, He lost a lot of weight but I believe he died before walking again.

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!

Scholtz posted:

Wait what's up with Richard Simmons rn?

Basically he's been shut in his house for 2+ years after a lifetime of being a very open and approachable celebrity. There are a lot of people that think he's being held hostage by his long term housekeeper or something. I dunno if that's the case but he certainly has done a complete 180 in personality and that's usually not a good sign.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

The Great Burrito posted:

Basically he's been shut in his house for 2+ years after a lifetime of being a very open and approachable celebrity. There are a lot of people that think he's being held hostage by his long term housekeeper or something. I dunno if that's the case but he certainly has done a complete 180 in personality and that's usually not a good sign.

He's always had issues, and he's pushing 70 now, it may be that his mental health has deteriorated in some way. His Wikipedia page says he did an t.v. interview last year as a response to the rumors but I haven't seen that to judge what condition he seemed to be in at the time.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Panfilo posted:

Americans have a distorted view on body image, particularly directed toward women. Goons wring their hands about kids growing up in a dystopia too permissive of obesity but our society puts an enormous emphasis on the desirability of women based on their size. My cousin, at 11,used to worry about getting fat because "boys won't like me then". Girls that haven't even hit puberty yet are developing eating disorders.

Oh no, children are encouraged not to be obese.

Also not gaining weight = disorder now.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 20:35 on Feb 22, 2017

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Americans are fat as gently caress, second only to Mexicans, so this idea of society pressuring all these women to be super thin is obviously bullshit and NWAI (not working as intended).

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

Shame to hear about Simmons, he's a cool guy.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

steinrokkan posted:

You're supposed to gain weight as you grow, people hitting puberty are growing. Plus, a lot of girls that age decide they're fat because they don't have a flat stomach or some other feature, so they give up and end up overweight or obese. Anorexia/bulimia aren't the only eating disorders that poo poo causes, just the most talked-about.

oldpainless posted:

Americans are fat as gently caress, second only to Mexicans, so this idea of society pressuring all these women to be super thin is obviously bullshit and NWAI (not working as intended).

It's working as intended, people spend billions on stuff that's supposed to make weightloss easy. And other things that aren't always a sign of self-confidence issues, but are often enough.

It's not so much society as it is advertising, reinforced by society.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The only reason those advertisements work is because people want an easy solution to their weight problem. So once again it boils down to "lazy." If you do the work and make the changes it will happen 100% of the time. Its just thermodynamics.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Solice Kirsk posted:

The only reason those advertisements work is because people want an easy solution to their weight problem. So once again it boils down to "lazy." If you do the work and make the changes it will happen 100% of the time. Its just thermodynamics.

The majority of Americans believe in actual biblical angels watching over them, good luck making any headway with fuckin thermodynamics

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
Lots of fatties self owning itt

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking
It seems societal pressure to eat truckloads of garbage is stronger than societal pressure to not be a literal truckload of garbage. Really makes u think.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

MY PALE GOTH SKIN posted:

You're supposed to gain weight as you grow, people hitting puberty are growing. Plus, a lot of girls that age decide they're fat because they don't have a flat stomach or some other feature, so they give up and end up overweight or obese. Anorexia/bulimia aren't the only eating disorders that poo poo causes, just the most talked-about.

The greatest eating disorder in America is compulsively shoving everything in your reach down your gullet.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

To keep your jeans warm!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

steinrokkan posted:

Children are growing up learning that their entire self worth is tied to their size, particularly young women.

oldpainless posted:

Pressuring women to be super thin does more to convince them they have no self worth in their current state, and it rapidly moves away from 'thin enough' regardless of their size. Just because societal pressures exist does not mean humans are robots that will move in lockstep to respond in turn. Action movies and pro wrestling are very popular among young men but it doesn't encourage the majority of them to lift weights and get buff.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm sure you use this exact logic to explain why poor people are just lazy and want quick fixes to their problems :allears:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Panfilo posted:

I'm sure you use this exact logic to explain why poor people are just lazy and want quick fixes to their problems :allears:

Unlike wealth, thermodynamics are not a social construct.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I honestly think I might be able to get in shape if I just didn't like drinking spiced rum so drat much.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Panfilo posted:

Children are growing up learning that their entire self worth is tied to their size, particularly young women.

Pressuring women to be super thin does more to convince them they have no self worth in their current state, and it rapidly moves away from 'thin enough' regardless of their size. Just because societal pressures exist does not mean humans are robots that will move in lockstep to respond in turn. Action movies and pro wrestling are very popular among young men but it doesn't encourage the majority of them to lift weights and get buff.

You don't know the difference between objectification and idealisation, but you sure have a theory to tell us about how being poor and being fat are the same thing from some no-doubt-enlightened perspective. Please feel free to lay it out in full rather than making these petty little snipes.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I know I really missed the fat threads from GBS thanks so much to the something awful historical reenactment society for this special performance

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Generalising but fat people are lazy bums with poor self control and decision making skills, and often a victim mentality.

It's got gently caress all to do with mental illness imo.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I will say for some reason i like fat people less after they lose a bunch of weight. Examples: John goodman and Newman from Seinfeld

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Somfin posted:

You don't know the difference between objectification and idealisation, but you sure have a theory to tell us about how being poor and being fat are the same thing from some no-doubt-enlightened perspective. Please feel free to lay it out in full rather than making these petty little snipes.

Don't you see, the 1% body fat class is forcing the 99% to carry all the fat!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oldpainless posted:

I will say for some reason i like fat people less after they lose a bunch of weight. Examples: John goodman and Newman from Seinfeld

Also: Luther Vandross.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Zipperelli. posted:

From the last page, but this can't be said enough.

I was out of work for almost a week after we had a 911 call for a "lift assist" (basically, someone fell and couldn't get up), and the patient turned out to be 780lbs, flopping on the ground like a fish. She couldn't get off the floor. She couldn't get up off the loving floor.

Yeah, gently caress all that body positivity and fat acceptance bullshit. Be healthy. Don't let yourself get to be almost a 1/2 ton. You'll inevitably gently caress up other people's livelihood's just like you hosed your own up.

I'm 120 pounds and struggling with an injury that paralyzes one of my legs. I alternate between being very athletic and very loving debilitated. On my worst days I can drag myself around with a walker, but the first time I had a problem was the middle of the night on Saturday, and lying on the floor wondering if I should call 911 and be lumped in with 700 pound people who ate themselves into a situation I found myself surprised into was one of the lowest points of my life.

oldpainless posted:

Probably because they got famous as fatties and you're used to seeing them a certain way? Sort of a "but my childhood!" situation?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

monkeytennis posted:

Generalising but fat people are lazy bums with poor self control and decision making skills, and often a victim mentality.

It's got gently caress all to do with mental illness imo.
/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Elohssa Gib posted:

Manuel Uribe, He lost a lot of weight but I believe he died before walking again.

That's a pretty good trick, if he lost weight too he's one up on Jesus.

• Locked thread