Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Gooch181 posted:

Putting finishing touches on my terminator captain. I've only been doing this since Christmas but I'm feeling a bit more confident. I need to work on my edge highlighting and start playing with proper blending.

That looks incredible! Very very clean and crisp around the edges. I hope by the time I get to my Ethereal I can be that precise.

I decided to paint my Ethereal last because he is one of 2 of my army that doesn't have a helmet and is mainly fabric. I hope after 20 troops, 12 drones, and 3 crisis suits, my abilities will be good enough to pull off something nice like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I'm looking to use some Tamiya Clear Red or something similar - I want to get a kind of shiny red effect. I have a badger patriot 105.

How do I go about using this stuff? Silver undercoat and then multiple thin layers? Do I need a special thinner and cleaner?

E: Also, any Dremel recommendations?

Lord Twisted fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Feb 22, 2017

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Mango Polo has some experience with those, best person to ask.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Lord Twisted posted:

I'm looking to use some Tamiya Clear Red or something similar - I want to get a kind of shiny red effect. I have a badger patriot 105.

How do I go about using this stuff? Silver undercoat and then multiple thin layers? Do I need a special thinner and cleaner?

For a shiny effect you're going to want a silver undercoat, yes. It will dry with a gloss look to it (more subtle the more its thinned), and you will need Tamiya's thinner as the Tamiya acrylics use alcohol; luckily unlike certain other companies (coughgaianotes) the thinner is actually fairly priced at $6-8 or so for a giant square bottle of the stuff that will last you a while.

quote:

Make sure to get one with a low setting. Don't buy offbrand since they're precision tools and you dont want spinning metal pieces flying at you, remember that the black discs are for metal and the brown ones for wood/plastic.

I got this set for christmas and its pretty nice. The dremel itself has a low setting that can be used with plastic in short intervals, the engraver can let you make some neat etched metal bases, and the soldering tool has a heat gun attachment that can come in handy for sculpey/greenstuff and bending styrene.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
A good opportunity to plug my buddies Scourge fleet.

The basic idea is Tamiya Clear Red over gold but he also has a thread on the hawk forums with more detailed instructions: http://www.hawkforum.co.uk/viewtopi...=3756&start=100

As for rotary tools, i used to have a Dremel but when it broke i got a Proxxon and i've been very happy with it. It gives a very solid and quality impression, more so than the Dremel in my opinion.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Thanks chaps that looks great. So I thin with alcohol rather than water and then just flush with water and cleaner at the end like usual? After some consideration I'd probably go for green over red, but same principle. I assume it takes transfers etc OK?

Basic concept is to have a titan with custom tudor rose-esque transfers which I'd print onto transfer paper.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
If you don't want to mess with alcohol thinning there's Badger/Minitaire's Ghost Tints which are pretty slick. You can buy a big pack of 12 colors for like $24.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Definitely an option as well. I just want a green metallic similar to this pic but I'm not wedded to a particular hue or anything.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Lord Twisted posted:

I use a Dremel Stylus. It isn't made anymore, but having used more powerful rotary tools, I can't recommend them. The Stylus is very lightweight and goes down to 5krpm, which is pretty good and controllable, and that's exactly what you want- CONTROL.

Since they don't make it anymore, I'd recommend trying the Genesis GLHT72-65. It is basically the same thing, except it only goes down to 8. That should still be serviceable, and it's only 30 bucks on Amazon, so eh.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
I took some pictures of my Kings of War Undead army for a friend of mine, I thought I'd share the pictures here too.

Some GW Skellingtons with handweapons and with spears, and some Grave Guard.

And an assortment of Mantic Skeletons, both KoW and Dungeon Saga

I tried to make the Spirit Hosts look they're formed from shadows and smoke, rather than glowing in the dark as is common.

The tree dudes are actually Wood Elf models, I only used a different color scheme to match them with my other Undead beasts with terrible complexion.

Coven Throne, or "20 Skeletons" as I use it in-game

These are probably my favorite guys, I need to get some more of them.

A tiny assortment of Mantic Zombies and Malifaux Zombie Dogs. I should get more of these dudes done, but I'm not that into zombies.

I'm terrified of transporting this guy anywhere.

I gave this little dude some of the same colors my buddy uses in his dwarf army. It has not had the intended psychological effect, since this dude is either useless or I don't know how to use him.

2 Necromancers built from GW Empire WIzards kit

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Crossposting some of my recent stuff from the 30K thread:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
What is a good place to order dropper bottles in bulk within the US? I lost my bag and need to get some GW paints transferred over ASAP.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

What is a good place to order dropper bottles in bulk within the US? I lost my bag and need to get some GW paints transferred over ASAP.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JD3YYWU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I painted up Roboute Guilliman! The marble on the base was a nightmare, but the model itself was really fun to paint! I also got to mess around with the 'Eavy Metal painting guide for painting faces from October's White Dwarf, which I followed to get the face. I'm really proud of that part, even if I don't love the cape.

I also magnetized the base so I could stick him on a 40mm base:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Holy gently caress that's incredible. This can't just be a hobby for you...

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
SRM just evolved to his next level!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Whoa I scrolled past and didn't look at the user. I thought this was another gaylord post

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Loading the pic up in the browser shows my shameful habit it was able to figure out from tracking in the form of an ad.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Have you used these? The reviews are kind of spotty regarding the caps - they appear to fit poorly and leak?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

Have you used these? The reviews are kind of spotty regarding the caps - they appear to fit poorly and leak?

I've never really needed to rebottle something, those are just the highest rated ones on amazon I saw vOv

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Neurolimal posted:

I've never really needed to rebottle something, those are just the highest rated ones on amazon I saw vOv

OK, thanks. I had a set of bottles that work well (and are currently missing,) but I cannot remember where the hell I bought them from. It seems all of the Amazone bottle sellers are pretty hit or miss. Guess that's what Amazon Returns are for...

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

When you use a dropper bottle on a wet palette, do you still use your brush to mix the paint and water/medium/other paint? I feel like my brushes would be in better shape if I didn't use them to both get paint out of the bottle and to use for mixing the pain on the palette. I was thinking of using a surrogate brush for the mixing but that might be overkill.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I buy mine from here.

You want to get the "1/2 Oz Natural Ldpe Dropper Bottles With Streaming Dropper Plug And White Caps." The downside is with the plugs, which won't let you do just a drop at a time. You want to get the 15 Mm Natural Ldpe Controlled Dropper Tip Plugs to go with. Throw out the streaming dropper plugs. The only issues I've had is when I accidentally used the streaming plugs instead of the controlled dropper plugs.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I think US PLASTICS is also a good source.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

Ebay can also be a good place to find smaller items like these. Magnets, too.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

darnon posted:

Ebay can also be a good place to find smaller items like these. Magnets, too.

Yeah, the wait time was over a month for most Ebay sellers, since they're shipping from China.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

SRM posted:

I painted up Roboute Guilliman! The marble on the base was a nightmare, but the model itself was really fun to paint! I also got to mess around with the 'Eavy Metal painting guide for painting faces from October's White Dwarf, which I followed to get the face. I'm really proud of that part, even if I don't love the cape.

I also magnetized the base so I could stick him on a 40mm base:

Sweet. I need to take a break from spaceships and paint some nice cloaked humans again.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
SRM that Guilliman is insane, god drat. Are you gonna do the 40k too one when it comes out?

Just built these and they are so cool, can't wait to paint them:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

SRM that Guilliman is insane, god drat. Are you gonna do the 40k too one when it comes out?

Remind me where these are from.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

mango sentinel posted:

Remind me where these are from.

https://northstarmodels.com/?s=mass+effect&post_type=product

or

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/StudioXIIIModels?section_id=20718706

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k
Keep falling off the painting wagon due to my lovely job/life, but decided to finally make a start on the rest of my Nomads:

In hindsight it could definitely use more contrast, but I was leery of messing with the orange too much.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Hahaha "Chief Calibrating Officer". Getting me one of those.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

ijyt posted:

Hahaha "Chief Calibrating Officer". Getting me one of those.

Yeah that was pretty much my reaction to seeing the name for the Garrus mini.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Thanks! I'll definitely be doing the plastic one too, yeah. Not sure what he'll do aside from look pretty on my shelf but we'll see.

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008

SRM posted:

Thanks! I'll definitely be doing the plastic one too, yeah. Not sure what he'll do aside from look pretty on my shelf but we'll see.

Shameful forums users exposing the fact that they dont listen to the badcast!

Speckled Jim fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 23, 2017

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Speckled Jim posted:

Shameful forums users exposing the fact that they dont listen to the badcast!

Hey, I didn't want to spoil what I'll do with the Super Ultra Bros., they have to listen to the badcast for that!

Also that's a real pretty birbman. The texture on the weapon shaft is amazing, the wings are beautiful, and the robes are great too.

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008

SRM posted:

Hey, I didn't want to spoil what I'll do with the Super Ultra Bros., they have to listen to the badcast for that!

Also that's a real pretty birbman. The texture on the weapon shaft is amazing, the wings are beautiful, and the robes are great too.

Cheers! I finished him one week before they announced the new model. Hes the old metal model and has no detail on the staff, so i had to do something to make it a bit more interesting. Undecided on wether to get the new one for a Fateweaver. Theres an intimidating amount of detail on that model.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
God, that model. I had such a hellish time getting him to stay put with that single foot on the ground.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Does anyone have links to pics of Khorne Blood Warriors with alternate color schemes to the main red-armor, gold trim scheme? I haven't seen a lot of alternatives that I like, and the red and gold doesn't really appeal to me for these guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Insanely good stuff on this page.