Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

The Management posted:

got hit up by a recruiter that sent email to every combination of first and last @ current company. this always gives me such a scummy vibe. should I even deal with someone that's too cheap to pay for linkedin recruiting?

oh, best part was this little gesture to get past the spam filter
I hate this so much, this and bullshit cold calls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i get cold calls every day and nothing i can do stops them. for the love of god put a Google voice number on your resume

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

one of my friends used to be a recruiter and she was telling me this story about how when she was at a large tech company they moved a manager from sales operations to run recruiting and this new VP decided to set "stretch goals" for the recruiters that were 3x the current number of open reqs. so the recruiters busted their asses, hit the stretch goals and got a bonus but 2/3 of the people they'd "hired" didn't actually have available positions

so yeah if you ever interviewed at a place known for its ball pits and then got an offer 3-9 months after you interviewed now you know why

the goog is known for hiring first and "finding a place for you" later. this is pretty good if you're fresh out of college with little practical experience. if you're an experienced professional with an interest in something particular this can be maddening to deal with.

speaking of which I have a call with them later today because my normal google recruiter left so I will have to start the conversation over again.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

i get cold calls every day and nothing i can do stops them. for the love of god put a Google voice number on your resume

yep. google voice is great for recruiter jail (and hilarious transcriptions)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

I have an onsite interview with that place that I did the phone interview for :toot:
luigi nail the interview

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

jre posted:

Ah yes, make your interviewers miss their lunch or stay late. This will definitely ingratiate you to them.
Shouldn't the company interviewing you have a flexible lunch window?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

The Management posted:

the goog is known for hiring first and "finding a place for you" later. this is pretty good if you're fresh out of college with little practical experience. if you're an experienced professional with an interest in something particular this can be maddening to deal with.
I suppose this is one way to hire for non-public projects. Or to compensate for a really long recruiting timeline, since by the time you start who knows what headcount will be where.

quote:

speaking of which I have a call with them later today because my normal google recruiter left so I will have to start the conversation over again.
Good luck!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ShadowHawk posted:

Or to compensate for a really long recruiting timeline, since by the time you start who knows what headcount will be where.

long recruiting pipelines are suicide. hiring generically-qualified people for unknown end positions just means high turnover.

and google is the proof in that fuckin pudding. last numbers i saw put average tenure around 1 year

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Management posted:

personally i will never interview with el goog ever again

i applied to google 3 months before starting my main job search, knowing they take for loving ever. they still didn't field an offer until i had already talked to every other firm i was interested in, solicited offers, accepted, and worked the new job for another month. great job guys.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

personally i will never interview with el goog ever again

i applied to google 3 months before starting my main job search, knowing they take for loving ever. they still didn't field an offer until i had already talked to every other firm i was interested in, solicited offers, accepted, and worked the new job for another month. great job guys.
I did something similar but I told them I was actively interviewing and getting offers and everything sped up a lot faster.

Like it was late September I decided I needed a job again, started Google process (and Hired.com the same week). Next week I ended up in Hired.com "auction" while doing Google phone interviews, following 2 weeks I was doing on-site hired.com interviews (and Google one). Started getting startup offers from the Hired.com leads, told the Google recruiter the best of them, and then got a Google offer by the second to last week of October.

It might have helped that I was interviewing for SRE which is super hard to staff, so maybe the recruiter was a little more tenacious.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ShadowHawk posted:

I did something similar but I told them I was actively interviewing and getting offers and everything sped up a lot faster.

Like it was late September I decided I needed a job again, started Google process (and Hired.com the same week). Next week I ended up in Hired.com "auction" while doing Google phone interviews, following 2 weeks I was doing on-site hired.com interviews (and Google one). Started getting startup offers from the Hired.com leads, told the Google recruiter the best of them, and then got a Google offer by the second to last week of October.

It might have helped that I was interviewing for SRE which is super hard to staff, so maybe the recruiter was a little more tenacious.

are you telling us you work in google's SRE group?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I interviewed with the goog around a year ago now and I would not be particularly shocked if they offered me a job at any point in the next year

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i had a email from a google recruiter, that i think was from when i used to post on the freebsd mailing ilst, and i panicked. this was when i was still in school so whatever either way

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

and google is the proof in that fuckin pudding. last numbers i saw put average tenure around 1 year

anecdata but this really doesn't gel for my experience in eng, like, at all. i could see it as a company-wide average, i guess?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Axel Rhodes Scholar posted:

anecdata but this really doesn't gel for my experience in eng, like, at all. i could see it as a company-wide average, i guess?

like, what roles tho?

i could buy that for amazon if they counted truck loaders and poo poo in with corp employees, but, what roles in google are there where you hire people with low or new skillsets and burn them?

does that happen for code? idk im not a dev

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

next time i need to hunt for a job i think i'll rob a bank

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
the long standing slashdot meme of 3) profit

i can clarify on #2)

it's nepotism

works every time

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Sniep posted:

like, what roles tho?

i could buy that for amazon if they counted truck loaders and poo poo in with corp employees, but, what roles in google are there where you hire people with low or new skillsets and burn them?
Recruiters, maybe.

I suspect that a lot of the attrition from google is partially because the day you get hired you start getting 10 times the recruiter spam from people who want to poach google employees. I've heard stories of people with Google offers getting automatic matching offers from other companies without even interviewing.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
what do you do when your very well compensated but bored and intellectually unchallenged at your job?

i am trying to get other jobs but no one can match my compensation 😞

i'm dying from ennui

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

what do you do when your very well compensated but bored and intellectually unchallenged at your job?

i'm dying from ennui

i post in a forum full of bitter computer touchers while i wait for death

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i'm dying from ennui

i took a 70% paycut and took up an academic position in wine country

it is hard to argue with the ease that comes with money not being an issue, but in the end i really was not feeling well at all in my previous job, the boredom rather gave way to some rather harmful patterns

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i'm dying from ennui

Cold on a Cob posted:

i post in a forum full of bitter computer touchers while i wait for death

:same:

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i'm dying from ennui

what's your skillset + what's your job + what's your comp + what do you want to be doing

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

coffeetable posted:

what's your skillset + what's your job + what's your comp + what do you want to be doing

skillset: bs cs (top 50). not a drooling idiot (just the regular kind). not a raging rear end in a top hat or a creeper. i also do some coding but i've never done so in any official capacity so build systems and deployments are black magic to me. i love to learn things.
job: a fancy firewall janitor (9-5, not soc)
comp: $150k after taxes + gym + beach club + housing (i don't use it so i get cash) + transportation (don't use it either, so cash) + retention (increases every year) + annual plane tickets + big fat bonus every year (usually around a month's total salary) + retirement contribution + health insurance + some other things i forgot
want to do: development. this is literally the job i applied to at my current company before they changed it (the comp was too sweet to say no)

i'm not looking for jobs in the pos though. too brown + not willing to travel.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
the phrase bs cs will never not be funny

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

FrozenVent posted:

the phrase bs cs will never not be funny

top 50

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

The Management posted:

This is what keeps me from even bothering to apply, despite my fiance working there and some of our friends. I'd only wanna work on very specific projects on their cloud or maps team, but even within those groups there are plenty of really boring projects.

It doesn't strike me as a place where someone can come in start making interesting and creative decisions. Maybe that's for the best, but its something I really enjoy about smaller companies, once you've proven yourself you can really have a say in the direction of the company's technology even if you only have maybe 2-5 years of experience.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

job: a fancy firewall janitor (9-5, not soc)
comp: $150k after taxes

holy fuckin moley

yeah you're probably looking at a healthy pay cut if you switch tracks.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
congrats, you're trapped with golden handcuffs. there is no escape

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

long recruiting pipelines are suicide. hiring generically-qualified people for unknown end positions just means high turnover.

I think some people just want the line on their resume

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Bhodi posted:

congrats, you're trapped with golden handcuffs. there is no escape

lmao that's not golden handcuffs.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i'm dying from ennui

you keep looking. in the meantime you try to pick up some skills that make you more valuable to others.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Save your pennies, retire early, and work on your own poo poo.

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.
Pay Luigi30 to mentor you on making cool poo poo.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

ShadowHawk posted:

Recruiters, maybe.

I suspect that a lot of the attrition from google is partially because the day you get hired you start getting 10 times the recruiter spam from people who want to poach google employees. I've heard stories of people with Google offers getting automatic matching offers from other companies without even interviewing.

thats fuckin crazy

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
after being responsible for everything and designing everything and having a very stressful time of it in general being a small cog in a large machine is starting to sound real good lately

especially since i'm such a terrible programmer and keep building poo poo

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

a slightly better put together set of handcuffs, possibly made by germans

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

PokeJoe posted:

Save your pennies, retire early, and work on your own poo poo.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

ShadowHawk posted:

I've heard stories of people with Google offers getting automatic matching offers from other companies without even interviewing.

I don't believe this at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Sapozhnik posted:

being a small cog in a large machine is starting to sound real good lately

yeah i played startup for 3 years and being a fungible cog is such a luxury

e: have i mentioned the 67% raise? thats v. nice too

JawnV6 fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 22, 2017

• Locked thread