Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

plz dont pull out posted:

Then you have people like Colbert who, after Scalia died, decided to tell an anecdote about how despite their political differences, he could really take a joke. A dude doesn't get to spend over two decades loving people over and then get excused for it because it's a "political difference" and gently caress off for even trying that.

Technocracy baby. Stop making government so political

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
I just imagine that Comet Pizza gunman scenario playing out exactly like Pee Wee's Big Adventure when he gets to the Alamo.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

plz dont pull out posted:

Then you have people like Colbert who, after Scalia died, decided to tell an anecdote about how despite their political differences, he could really take a joke. A dude doesn't get to spend over two decades loving people over and then get excused for it because it's a "political difference" and gently caress off for even trying that.
This happens all the time though, even when someone significant leaves office. People should just stick to what their beliefs even after the people they hate are gone. Like Hitchens tearing into Jerry Falwell after he died ("if you gave him an enema, you could bury him in a match box"). Or people throwing parties when Margaret Thatcher died.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
stealing this from the criterion thread:

https://twitter.com/BFI/status/834350797005664256?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Gorn Myson posted:

This happens all the time though, even when someone significant leaves office. People should just stick to what their beliefs even after the people they hate are gone. Like Hitchens tearing into Jerry Falwell after he died ("if you gave him an enema, you could bury him in a match box"). Or people throwing parties when Margaret Thatcher died.

I've never heard that Hitchens quote: it's amazing!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Say what you will about Hitchens, he was one of the all-time greats when it came to just leveling somebody with words.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Oh, is that all it takes.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Alhazred posted:

Is it no longer cool to like John Oliver:ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr5RFWj5GD0

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's hard to really hold someone not speaking ill of the dead against them even if I don't agree. That's just how some people roll. That being said, there is a difference between feeling reluctant to dance on someone's grave and someone saying things that don't at all reflect the reality of a dead person's life just for the sake of trying to say something nice. It's also not acceptable to just go with a completely false narrative the person's supporters try to create.

Really it all reminds me of this classic

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Reagan can rest in piss and bih.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lIqNjC1RKU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
In general the left is far too caught up in slam dunks that only they care about while the other side is literally making poo poo up and seeing if they can make this poo poo treated like it's real. My facebook feed is pretty free of conservative idiots but the left wing equivalent of that poo poo is just as painful to wade through in so many ways and also shows the American left have learned no election what so ever from the last election. I mean so much of the left is still trying to get people to care about stuff they didn't care about before the election but they continue to say it louder and louder like maybe the other side just isn't hearing this compelling message where they're actually racist and lol Trump has small hands

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
In other news, Bill Maher still sucks:

Bill Maher posted:

About a week ago, I went on Van Jones’s show, and somebody asked me about the booking. I hadn’t really gotten into the details of Milo yet. He was just getting on my radar. I said, specifically, sunlight is the best disinfectant. Then we had Milo on, despite the fact that many people said, “Oh, how dare you give a platform to this man.” What I think people saw was an emotionally needy Ann Coulter wannabe, trying to make a buck off of the left’s propensity for outrage. And by the end of the weekend, by dinnertime Monday, he’s dropped as a speaker at CPAC. Then he’s dropped by Breitbart, and his book deal falls through. As I say, sunlight is the best disinfectant. You’re welcome.

:supaburn:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Say what you will about Hitchens, he was one of the all-time greats when it came to just leveling somebody with words.

What I will say about him is that he was a dickhead.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

In general the left is far too caught up in slam dunks that only they care about while the other side is literally making poo poo up and seeing if they can make this poo poo treated like it's real. My facebook feed is pretty free of conservative idiots but the left wing equivalent of that poo poo is just as painful to wade through in so many ways and also shows the American left have learned no election what so ever from the last election. I mean so much of the left is still trying to get people to care about stuff they didn't care about before the election but they continue to say it louder and louder like maybe the other side just isn't hearing this compelling message where they're actually racist and lol Trump has small hands
Or "Everyone who voted for Trump/Brexit is a racist/sexist/homophobe and I will label them as such and refuse to engage in them in any meaningful manner". Thats fine if you want to take that road, but good luck doing anything in politics if your strategy is to deliberately alienate large swathes of people.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gorn Myson posted:

Or "Everyone who voted for Trump/Brexit is a racist/sexist/homophobe and I will label them as such and refuse to engage in them in any meaningful manner". Thats fine if you want to take that road, but good luck doing anything in politics if your strategy is to deliberately alienate large swathes of people.

This is true though and time is better spent talking to people who have been demoralized by the system, because they might actually listen. We have a really middling turnout rate even for our big elections. Engaging people who don't even bother for a variety of reasons is way more productive than trying to convert far right blog readers.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 22, 2017

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Gorn Myson posted:

Yeah, nothing has ever been accomplished politically by defining an enemy and unifying people against them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gorn Myson posted:

Or "Everyone who voted for Trump/Brexit is a racist/sexist/homophobe and I will label them as such and refuse to engage in them in any meaningful manner".

This is just a stone cold fact. If the left stops trying to compromise and "engage in a dialogue" with the racists, sexists and homophobes, the world will become a better place.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I don't agree with Lurdiak on pretty much anything but I agree with that.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What I will say about him is that he was a dickhead.

I mean, also not untrue.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Saying that the left has to appeal to trumpists is just a way to avoid appealing to the 51℅ of the country that didn't vote for either option.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The problem is there are different levels of Trump supporters. There is a very vocal group that can't be argued with or brought over or anything like that but there are those that voted for him because they were mainly worried about having a job this year, they care about that way more than anything the left tries to shame them into having to care about and Trump was the only one actually talking about saving/bringing in jobs. These people also don't tend to be all that vocal about their support though.

I mean, if all the people that voted for Trump are irredeemable racists that agree with all of his policies than we are hosed anyways so we might as well just lay down and die. Like I'm not saying that there aren't many cases where the argument just isn't worth engaging in but just labeling everyone that isn't on board "the enemy" isn't gonna do all that much

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
One of the reasons Hillary lost was due to spending a lot of time trying to win over GOP voters.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Saying that the left has to appeal to trumpists is just a way to avoid appealing to the 51℅ of the country that didn't vote for either option.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
If you voted for Trump then at the very least you sold out your neighbors for the illusion of personal security. So maybe, just maybe, you're a coward, a traitor, and a dupe -- but not a racist, if that makes you feel better.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I also think Robocop is cool.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Like, okay, so maybe half of Trump voters fooled themselves into thinking they had a legit reason? That's 12℅ of America and your already know how to appeal to them. Focus your efforts on the literal four times greater group that you don't know the deal with if you want to win.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Gorn Myson posted:

Anyone who's conservative is either hideously oblivious, disgustingly hateful, or so impossibly stupid they would better serve our country being put through a meat grinder and served to hungry children in loaf form.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

The problem is there are different levels of Trump supporters. There is a very vocal group that can't be argued with or brought over or anything like that but there are those that voted for him because they were mainly worried about having a job this year, they care about that way more than anything the left tries to shame them into having to care about and Trump was the only one actually talking about saving/bringing in jobs. These people also don't tend to be all that vocal about their support though.

I mean, if all the people that voted for Trump are irredeemable racists that agree with all of his policies than we are hosed anyways so we might as well just lay down and die. Like I'm not saying that there aren't many cases where the argument just isn't worth engaging in but just labeling everyone that isn't on board "the enemy" isn't gonna do all that much
Okay, you've made the intellectual distinction between different genres of Trumpists. How does this meaningfully inform your strategy?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Gorn Myson posted:

Thats fine if you want to take that road, but good luck doing anything in politics if your strategy is to deliberately alienate large swathes of people.

The thing is, empirically, U.S. politics is strategized around alienating larges swathes of people - in fact, the majority - from democratic participation. That isn't the intended strategy, but intent is not the same thing as meaning.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
the left: ha ha! tiny hands! ha ha!
the right: *kills everyone who isn't a pale christian*

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

He certainly does have very tiny hands.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

remember that people who voted for Trump are less than 25% of the population of the US.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I mean the obvious thing the left have to do is stop sucking and focusing on passing legislation to make voting as easy as possible and smashing gerrymandered districts while also giving people someone they actually want to vote for but that is so beyond their capabilities that I just think it'd be easier to assure people that fear their family will become homeless if they lose their job that they'll be taken care of and they don't have to decide between that and being considered a horrible person.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Samuel Clemens posted:

He certainly does have very tiny hands.

Eh, they're fine and really the least of everyone in the world's problems right now.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Eh, they're fine and really the least of everyone in the world's problems right now.

Honestly, given that he's a serial sexual abuser, it's for the best he doesn't have larger, more powerful hands to grope people with.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Fine for a dwarf, maybe.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I don't agree on a one on one level, especially not for young people who voted for Trump, but it's 100% stupid to build an electoral strategy around poaching Trump voters en masse. Get 2% of the below median income voters in 3 states who didn't vote to the polls and Trump loses. Which is of course to say, Bernie would have won.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Like, let's face facts: no one would be talking about his hands if it hadn't be revealed he hates when people make fun of them and people still do it like Trump is reading their posts and maybe just one more will make him quit. I just feel it's maybe time to move on now that it has become clear that that isn't in fact the one weakness he has that will destroy him.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I remember after Obama beat McCain the Republican Party decided to adopt left wing policies to appeal to centrists and made sure that their base did nothing to upset anyone.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

He's got the whole world in his hands.
In his tiny T-Rex hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I remember after Obama beat McCain the Republican Party decided to adopt left wing policies to appeal to centrists and made sure that their base did nothing to upset anyone.

Yes, let's turn to the republicans for strategy. Let's just make it so people we don't like can't vote, redistrict things so it's impossible to lose certain seats, just make poo poo up and do everything in our power to make people think their vote will do nothing and that they should just stay home.

Also I don't think anyone here is saying that the left should adopt right wing policies or do everything they can to not upset people.

• Locked thread