Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is there any way to change the controller bindings? I can't seem to find it in the key mapping menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Duck and Cover posted:

I'm complaining about both. That last guy not readying up makes me (being optimistic) want to stick around so I can get to play another loving game. Instead it encourages people to leave immediately because it's just faster. Sticking to your game should be faster than jumping back into matchmaking. It's pretty simple I am in favor of systems that streamline getting me into a game as opposed to ones that heap as much poo poo in the way. I'll let you figure out which one For Honor has.

I auto quit after every 4v4 match even if I still want to play the mode and am fine with the players. It is humorous that the lobby system is so poo poo that is an optimal decision.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
Yeah, never stick around after a game to hope that it starts again. It never does.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Dreylad posted:

I've noticed more and more people dodging the Valk spear sweep, which is fair enough, but is it dodgable because I'm not activating it fast enough off the shield charge chain or is it just dodgable normally? If so that's... pretty rough for the Valk. Although I probably need to mix it up and guard break instead of sweeping.

Also shoulder charge from the Warden seems to beat shield smash/charge which is interesting. Not sure if it's about frames on contact or what is deciding that interaction.

You have to pop her sweep loving immediately, otherwise anyone can step away from it. Even without stamina, because that makes sense.

My favorite part of playing as a valkyrie is how her guard break range is loving tiny compared to everyone else. I've seen so many enemies skate right up to me from spear range, tank the stab in the face, then grab me. Meanwhile, I have to be in kissing range to grab them. :shrug:

Internet Kraken posted:

I got a daily that requires me to play SKIRMISH against the loving AI :barf:

That one wasn't awful for a while last night, I got four out of five executions done in a round. Then a kensei joined and ganked everyone, didn't give a gently caress about friendly fire at all. Thanks guy.

In positive valk news however, deflecting orochis into shoulder pins over and over and over is a lot of fun. Also holy gently caress her sharpen weapon power up is insane :gibs:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Crushing scrubs is really making me develop bad habits. I use my gimmick on people who know how to parry someone using Revenge and they just hand me my rear end as a team.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

signalnoise posted:

Crushing scrubs is really making me develop bad habits. I use my gimmick on people who know how to parry someone using Revenge and they just hand me my rear end as a team.

It's me, I'm the scrub

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

See this general stuff I feel mostly gets covered. The character specific stuff is what appears to be glossed iver by the in game guides, the moveset listing isn't complete for many classes.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

dromer posted:

Is there any way to change the controller bindings? I can't seem to find it in the key mapping menu.

nope

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why are you not allowed to change the look of purple gear?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

panda clue posted:

Yeah, never stick around after a game to hope that it starts again. It never does.

It isn't never .

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Internet Kraken posted:

I know blues can only change to look like other blues. Maybe it's tied to equal rarity?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Internet Kraken posted:

Only gear of matching rarity can change looks. You need other purple stuff.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

panda clue posted:

I tend to knock out an entire order at once. If I find chill dudes I'm gonna keep it rollin'.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I literally can't complete an elimination match today. Keep getting constant errors that boot me back to the main menu. This sucks.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

On the Bone you can change the controller bindings at a system level. I did this for guard break because I wanted it on the left bumber where I felt quick chat was worthless and taking the place of something useful, so I swapped them.

Caveat: This changes that button for everything and I mean everything. Initially I had other buttons swapped but it became too confusing to do something as simple as navigate normal menus.

Being able to remap controls in-game is my number one wish for this game tbh. I would change a bunch of poo poo to my liking.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Dude must skip out on a lot of matches.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
If anyone wants to practice dueling I'll be in the SA discord sub-channel for a bit.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

Internet Kraken posted:

I literally can't complete an elimination match today. Keep getting constant errors that boot me back to the main menu. This sucks.

Tried playing 2s with a friend and got this eight out of ten games. It is out of control.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Red Mundus posted:

A man lives by the code.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Red Mundus posted:

hahahaha that's amazing

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I am really struggling against Valkyrie and Nobushi when I play as Orichi. What is the drat trick against them?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Dirk Pitt posted:

I am really struggling against Valkyrie and Nobushi when I play as Orichi. What is the drat trick against them?

Defense.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

threelemmings posted:

See this general stuff I feel mostly gets covered. The character specific stuff is what appears to be glossed iver by the in game guides, the moveset listing isn't complete for many classes.

Well sure but there is definitely stuff in there I had no idea about even after scouring every single piece of tutorial the actual game has to offer. Everyone here definitely has been doing waaaaay more research on this game (even if it's just watching streams all the time, which I never have the patience to do) than they act like. I mean sure a lot of fighting games don't document half of their poo poo but at least they have comprehensive training modes. I just did a best of 99 with a bot and lol not being able to pause for real life poo poo in 2017 is just the dumbest thing. You can absolutely pause in a bot duel for steel, but not in a custom match with a bot. Go figure.

Anyway what I'm really interested in is a more in-depth and up to date version of that guide.

poo poo like knowing when a guard break is uncounterable is pretty loving key and I would love to know where they tell you about that in the game.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Dirk Pitt posted:

Valkyrie... Well she has reach on you and she has similar movesets. I main valkyrie (Im not that good though) here is some advice

1) Valkyrie has very little damage output and a lot of "bullying". She can move you around the terrain a lot.
2) Her dash forward and attack comes from the top, so be blocking top if you can
3) Most of her moves (Shield bash, rush forward, Zone attack, Sweep attack) can be dodged by going left or right.
4) If you block a heavy expect a shield bash attack (She can whip it out if its blocked) so get ready to dodge to the left / right, then counter
5) The valkyrie top light blocks attacks if they time it right, so don't start off a light chain with a top attack if you can help it.

Your lights are faster than her attacks so start using those, she also doesn't have a lot of hit points. In order to land her most damaging moves they will probably try and either

1) Guard break you
2) Heavy that is blocked, turn into shield slam and catch you off guard

One of the nasty combos the valkyrie has is heavy (blocked) turn into shield slam, turn into top heavy, turn into shield slame, turn into top heavy or heavy (Blocked) turn into shield slam, follow up with sweep, then top heavy. This combo is repeated until the valk runs out of stamina or you manage to dodge one of the attacks.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I've yet to be kicked from a game in progress.

I've been booted back to the main menu between games with a "not enough players in the session", but that's it for getting kicked.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Skirmish: bad
Netcode: bad
Revenge-stacking Gear: bad
Stupid Persistent Map poo poo: bad
UI: bad

actual idea animating the game and moment-to-moment gameplay: extremely good

Agreed, but the netcode actually pretty good. The game-server stuff is sometimes bad (quelle surprise ubisoft), but the netcode itself is not terrible - as in, people are where you see them on your screen, and you are where they see you on their screen and so on.

Add this though,

Match-making: Pants-shittingly bad

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

FAUXTON posted:

"honoring the 1v1."

Yeah dude you gotta be honourable about that 2v2, that's cool, I'm just gonna hoist people into pits behind my Lawdude.

I think about 6 people went off on me because I decided to say gently caress it, I'm just gonna grab you until you die.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I don't get salty when I get thrown to my death. I don't get salty when I'm ganged up on.

The two things that will never fail to make me rage are 1) teammates who abandon you or stand idly by when you're attacking an enemy in 4v4 (when you rush to help them) because of "muh honur" and 2) people who spam the same cheese moves over and over AKA Warden Vortex / Lawmaker Shove / Valkyrie Shield Bash into Spear Slash

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Loopoo posted:

I don't get salty when I get thrown to my death. I don't get salty when I'm ganged up on.

The two things that will never fail to make me rage are 1) teammates who abandon you or stand idly by when you're attacking an enemy in 4v4 (when you rush to help them) because of "muh honur" and 2) people who spam the same cheese moves over and over AKA Warden Vortex / Lawmaker Shove / Valkyrie Shield Bash into Spear Slash

A)You can backroll out of the vortex as long as there's free space, otherwise guess right. B)Lawbringer is literally nothing without the shove and I don't see what the problem with it is. C) Valk shield bash is poo poo and guarantees nothing. They go into sweep after it? Dodge, they try to attack? you get to block.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Loopoo posted:

2) people who spam the same cheese moves over and over Valkyrie Shield Bash into Spear Slash

:getin:

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Exmond posted:

Valkyrie... Well she has reach on you and she has similar movesets. I main valkyrie (Im not that good though) here is some advice

1) Valkyrie has very little damage output and a lot of "bullying". She can move you around the terrain a lot.
2) Her dash forward and attack comes from the top, so be blocking top if you can
3) Most of her moves (Shield bash, rush forward, Zone attack, Sweep attack) can be dodged by going left or right.
4) If you block a heavy expect a shield bash attack (She can whip it out if its blocked) so get ready to dodge to the left / right, then counter
5) The valkyrie top light blocks attacks if they time it right, so don't start off a light chain with a top attack if you can help it.

Your lights are faster than her attacks so start using those, she also doesn't have a lot of hit points. In order to land her most damaging moves they will probably try and either

1) Guard break you
2) Heavy that is blocked, turn into shield slam and catch you off guard

One of the nasty combos the valkyrie has is heavy (blocked) turn into shield slam, turn into top heavy, turn into shield slame, turn into top heavy or heavy (Blocked) turn into shield slam, follow up with sweep, then top heavy. This combo is repeated until the valk runs out of stamina or you manage to dodge one of the attacks.

Thank you! I played against one after reading this and your tips helped. Also remembering that I don't have to parry every attack but can simply block also helped.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Loopoo posted:

The two things that will never fail to make me rage are 1) teammates who abandon you or stand idly by when you're attacking an enemy in 4v4 (when you rush to help them) because of "muh honur"

They might just be trying to not give the enemy an instant revenge bar, which can gently caress you both.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The only thing more annoying than no honor in this game is people complaining about no honor in this game.

Every match has some loving guy that whines the entire time about the classes people are playing and how they're playing them. People complaining that my team who's 4v1ing the last man standing isn't honorably challenging him to 1 on 1 duels. What the crap.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Yo off subject but I'm just going to throw this out there. Network experts claiming that revealing your IP to people you're trying to connect to is a huge security risk and practically a cybercrime (someone could take control of a botnet and DDOS your IP!): it might as well be the mayor of Knifecrime Island gawking at your knife stand just hanging out on your kitchen counter.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Which rep do you start getting yellow gears at? 5?

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Aesis posted:

Which rep do you start getting yellow gears at? 5?

Never, orange gear is fully upgraded purple gear. Having just hit P3 on Peacekeeper and trying to upgrade a few items, I'm pretty sure anyone you see with an orange gear average has whaled their asses off on Steel. It takes 270 to do the first upgrade (of which you require 5), and the cost goes up with each level. And then you have to do this with every single slot.

panda clue fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 22, 2017

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

panda clue posted:

Never, orange gear is fully upgraded purple gear.
So when do you get purple gears then? Rep 3?

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Aesis posted:

So when do you get purple gears then? Rep 3?

Blues at 1, purps at 3.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

panda clue posted:

Blues at 1, purps at 3.
Welp. 1 more rep to grind then :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Dumb emblem question:
The first emblem I made is round. I was messing around with the creator the other day and...can I not make a new emblem with a different shape? I'm on XBone if that matters.