Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Smiling Jack posted:

I can just see the DM now: "okay so you just rolled a natural 20 on your crazy plan to ram Eros. You know what? Eros moved."

"What?"

"EROS loving MOVED I GOT A WHOLE SCENARIO PLANNED OUT HERE AND YOU FUCKERS ARENT RUINING IT"

The best campaigns I have run have always started with a panicked last ditch effort to save my storylines from the players and resulted in my having to scramble to write my way out of what they just did.

I'm actually kind of surprised more TV Show's don't have their origins in people's pen and paper games. Seems like a ripe environment for ad hoc creativity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The only other one I can think of is the old manga/anime Record of Lodoss War, based on essentially transcripts of D&D sessions. Not sure if there's anything else out there.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I ran a Twilight 2000 campaign that started off as a fairly simple "escape Germany" plot and ended two years later with my players dropping napalm on lovecraftian horrors in a secret MilGov base in a trailer park from a blimp

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

NmareBfly posted:

Yo you can spoiler poo poo like that you know.

I'm sorry for revealing that something doesn't happen. I'll be more careful about that in the future.

[spoiler]Miller doesn't turn into a magical unicorn.[/spioler]

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Someone literally said they were looking forward to seeing how they handle a piece of the plot moving forward. You outright state what they do in the books. That is a spoiler. It's not incidental background detail that helps fill in the setting, it is a thing that has not happened yet on-screen. It is a thing they haven't had the opportunity to even mention in the show.

If you had put tags around it I wouldn't be complaining even though I think it would still be a bad thing to do in this thread. Just go back and put in spoiler tags. :shrug:

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm sorry for revealing that something doesn't happen. I'll be more careful about that in the future.

Don't be a tool. Saying something doesn't happen can be just as much a spoiler as revealing that something does. If you can't understand that, I don't know what to say.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Talorat posted:

The best campaigns I have run have always started with a panicked last ditch effort to save my storylines from the players and resulted in my having to scramble to write my way out of what they just did.

I'm actually kind of surprised more TV Show's don't have their origins in people's pen and paper games. Seems like a ripe environment for ad hoc creativity.
Friend are you familiar with the "Fast and the Furious" franchise? I remain convinced that it's based on a rad Shadowrun campaign Vin Diesel was a part of at some point. The climax of the fifth movie especially is the quintessential example of an RPG group's "plan b" for a job.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phanatic posted:

Do they ever mention specifically Ceres's spin rate? I figured it at about .05 rpm.

Thing currently spins about once every 9 hours. So unless I screwed up the moment of inertia, it currently has about 1.6E15 GJ of rotational kinetic energy. That's six orders of magnitude less energy that you'd need to dump into it to spin it to .05 rpm (2E21 GJ) That's like an hour and a half of the total energy output of the sun.

That's actually waaaaaay more energy than you need to totally cancel out Eros's orbital kinetic energy (2.5E15 GJ). No wonder it took them so long.

Either I screwed up the moment of inertia, am greatly overestimating how fast they got Ceres spinning, or this stuff starts to fall apart if you look at it too closely.

Still a great show, though.

I get 2×10²⁷ J. Maybe you mixed up a prefix or two somewhere since that’s different than your result by a factor of precisely one million.

At 0.025 RPM (which gives a third g at the docks, rotational energy drops by three quarters to only 4.9×10²⁶

Still more energy than Eros, but not absurdly so. They had a lot longer to spin it up, and it was already partially hollowed‐out.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

Miller's a replicant!?!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I know the Expanse universe started as the setting of an RPG, but have the writers ever confirmed how far players got in the campaign?

Wxhode
Mar 29, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Ersatz posted:

Miller's a replicant!?!

Not yet!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Fister Roboto posted:

Fix your post earlier.

I refuse to believe you're too dumb to realize that posting things like "______ DOESN'T DIE" or "_______ IS NEVER EXPLAINED" or whatever isn't spoilery.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

NmareBfly posted:

Someone literally said they were looking forward to seeing how they handle a piece of the plot moving forward. You outright state what they do in the books. That is a spoiler. It's not incidental background detail that helps fill in the setting, it is a thing that has not happened yet on-screen. It is a thing they haven't had the opportunity to even mention in the show.

If you had put tags around it I wouldn't be complaining even though I think it would still be a bad thing to do in this thread. Just go back and put in spoiler tags. :shrug:

No, it's a thing that has not not happened yet. In fact it has already not happened.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

They never explain how the PM can do what it does, which is a good thing.

It's funny, but (nearly) every sci-fi show that has some form of artificial gravity and doesn't take the tremendous implications of that kind of technology to begin with.

Wxhode
Mar 29, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Party Plane Jones posted:

It's funny, but (nearly) every sci-fi show that has some form of artificial gravity and doesn't take the tremendous implications of that kind of technology to begin with.

I'm really mad that the show got rid of the gel-filled crash couches rotating to adjust to different thrust vectors.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Same for FTL travel. If folks aren't familiar with it, the site Project Rho has the most complete set of articles on building hard sci fi settings based on real world physics and technical documents. Come for the explanations of why FTL, inertia-less drives and stealth in space don't work, stay for the in depth descriptions of nuclear shaped charge powered ships, lasers and particle beams.

I was honestly a bit surprised that Casaba-howitzer type weapons don't show up in the Expanse, but I suppose it would make the space combat far less exciting when PDCs are useless against torpedoes.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Wxhode posted:

I'm really mad that the show got rid of the gel-filled crash couches rotating to adjust to different thrust vectors.

Got rid of? The never had them

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Project rho is certainly a website holy poo poo

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Before I even knew about the expanse me and my friends started running a pen and paper rpg that I based largely on pouring over that drat Project Rho site. So much of our game has had pretty direct parallels to the expanse, whole scenes and plot points, it's crazy sometimes and then I get embarrassed that it looks like I just ripped something off from books I haven't read.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Wxhode posted:

Similarly, they haven't shown the chairs injecting (what I'm assuming were) stims/andrenaline since the first couple episodes.

Wxhode
Mar 29, 2016

by R. Guyovich

gohmak posted:

Got rid of? The never had them

They did in the books! Also, WHERE WAS THE ANTISPALLING FABRIC WHEN YOU KILLED SHED, MOTHERFUCKERS? Everyone else should have been shredded. :colbert:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

The Aliens Colonial Marines tech manual had a pretty good hard SF take on space combat

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
2300AD is a hard sci fi rpg

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

AirborneNinja posted:

I never thought about it in the book very hard because gently caress yeah lets ram the chaos hell station into the sun with a rocket powered church.

:yeah:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

NmareBfly posted:

I thought he meant, "don't," not, "won't," until this post

:smith:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Miller shooting Dresden in the face definitely makes sense as something an RPG gamer would do. I can almost hear the DM quietly weeping into his hands as he scraps a huge pile of exposition and plot hooks.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fister Roboto posted:

Miller shooting Dresden in the face definitely makes sense as something an RPG gamer would do. I can almost hear the DM quietly weeping into his hands as he scraps a huge pile of exposition and plot hooks.

I've been extra enjoying the show watching it all with stuff like this in mind.
I can also see the heated argument the players had after. "Why the gently caress did you shoot him your character is a misanthropic rear end in a top hat but he wouldn't do that!" "Nah I had to shoot him it's what my character would do" "gently caress you man! I.. I totally shoot your character then" "nah your goody two shoes guy would never do that" "gently caress you're right, well we're kicking your guy out of the party!!" then everyone cools down and they decide to let his character re-join the party because the player was going to go do his own side story and the GM was all "I'm not running another side story, I finally got you all together, can you sort this poo poo out and dude maybe don't just murder important plot NPC's so much for the sake of the game?"

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

As someone who once murdered an important NPC I can see how this all played out

Edit: I once had a low level PC attempt to take on Darth loving Vader in single combat during a campaign, players do dumb poo poo.

I killed his character of course.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Some of my best RPG sessions have come from the players killing plot NPCs. Had a Dark Heresy game where the players had to put down a worker's union while their city was being invaded by orks. So the assassin kills the head of the union. Which sets off a riot. The table had a blast with that.

Of course, just a week ago, my party decided, when offered the chance to just leave the plot behind and let half the party survive, that they didn't really have anything invested in the plot. So they did. And ended a year and a half campaign in one minute.

On topic though, if anything, I think Miller is a DMPC. His plot is disconnected for most of season 1, he can serve whatever role needs filling, and does stuff around, but not part of the Roci crew. They're an RPG; Miller is one of Corey's half-done novels.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Yo momma so fat, you look like you grew up in a gravity well.

Number Ten Cocks fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 23, 2017

Dr. Memory
Jul 10, 2001

Ah, fuck the end of the world.
Yo mamma so fat she wear an asteroid belt!

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Yo momma bones so brittle me crush her rear end to dust!

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Yo momma so fat even the protomolecule wouldn't hit that.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yo mamma got so much biomass the protomolecule ditched Eros!

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Yo momma so fat, I gotta contact Anderson corp to spin her over when I change positions.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Yo momma so barren the MCRN are tryin to terraform her

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yo mamma so fat Tycho Manufacturing made it's name spinning her up.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Yo momma so thirsty, thousands of belters die every year mining ice for her

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yo momma so fat astronomers use her as a gravitational lens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Yo momma so fat they found a pair of forgotten arms in her rolls.

• Locked thread