Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

While we're on matches from when they did legacy every weekend, here's another great match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26PPRnVCLVA&t=2368s

where I've linked features an awesome play that I don't want to spoil, but the entire match is a lesson in resource management by the maverick guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Does RUG Delver ever have 5 mana to play it?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mcmagic posted:

Does RUG Delver ever have 5 mana to play it?

I didn't play it in RUG for very long. My store was half Miracles, 2-3 D&T, a UWR Delver, and a Painter player who sometimes splashed white, so really my only way to win against most of those decks was to steal some games with Helm. Also you can do it over 2 turns.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Looks like that 25% ratio for Amonkhet full arts will apply to fat packs bundles as well!

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/157568655928/hi-mark-will-the-basic-80-land-pack-in-amonkhet

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 22, 2017

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

pr0digal posted:

Looks like that 25% ratio for Amonkhet full arts will apply to fat packs bundles as well!

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/157568655928/hi-mark-will-the-basic-80-land-pack-in-amonkhet

Makes sense. Those packs were traditionally split evenly amongst the arts in the set.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Procrastinator posted:

Makes sense. Those packs were traditionally split evenly amongst the arts in the set.

So basically they have replaced one of the 4 land arts with a full art one? Fine... whatever.. I mean full art is cool but WIzards whole "still making it a bit rare" I do grow tired of.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

DoctorOozy posted:

So basically they have replaced one of the 4 land arts with a full art one? Fine... whatever.. I mean full art is cool but WIzards whole "still making it a bit rare" I do grow tired of.

I mean, if full art land is one of every 4 normal arts, its not actually rarer than anything else.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
All basics should be full art. The class of new player who wouldn't understand a textless basic but does get what an oversized mana symbol means would probably quit the game for hearthstone after five minutes anyway.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Rutibex posted:

I keep all of my MtG decks in 19th century silver business card holders:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Yeah, if it was a player-understanding issue, they should bring back basics with "T: add R to your mana pool" on them.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
LOL the MTGO historical standard thing is already cancelled because they didn't test the cards and shocker... poo poo doesn't work

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Firebatgyro posted:

LOL the MTGO historical standard thing is already cancelled because they didn't test the cards and shocker... poo poo doesn't work

Did they post any specific bugs? I live for MTGO bug reports. It's always the most unfathomable poo poo like "casting Grizzly Bears on a Tuesday causes the round to re-set, but only if it's a white-bordered Grizzly Bears".

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Firebatgyro posted:

loving incompetents. There is zero excuse for this garbage - take two coverage accounts, grab the .deks and play one mirror match for each deck. It'll take maybe four hours.

In fact, you could have thrown this poo poo up for a test run on the beta. The cards already exist.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Entropic posted:

Did they post any specific bugs? I live for MTGO bug reports. It's always the most unfathomable poo poo like "casting Grizzly Bears on a Tuesday causes the round to re-set, but only if it's a white-bordered Grizzly Bears".

Numot had Natural Balance do nothing besides make his opponent sac lands, for one.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
wizards ayyyyy lmao

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Firebatgyro posted:

Rinkles posted:

Numot had Natural Balance do nothing besides make his opponent sac lands, for one.

This is badass.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

If I was on the MTGO team I'd be worried about my job security more than anything else.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ein Sexmonster posted:

If I was on the MTGO team I'd be worried about my job security more than anything else.

wotc refuses to pay competitively for programmers so actually it's the exact opposite situation, there is no-one to replace them if they leave

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Here's another:

https://twitter.com/MishrasFotoshop/status/834498929379115008

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

wotc refuses to pay competitively for programmers so actually it's the exact opposite situation, there is no-one to replace them if they leave
I get that, I just mean that Hasbro is literally making the replacement for MTGO right now.
The upside is that when the MTGO team gets canned they can earn 1.5-2x as much money anywhere else.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Entropic posted:

Yeah, if it was a player-understanding issue, they should bring back basics with "T: add R to your mana pool" on them.

Well you can't do that because it would help fix the confusion players have when they don't understand the difference between lands and a mana pool. It's part of the reason people call <> "wastes" instead of "colorless mana".

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

ThePeavstenator posted:

Well you can't do that because it would help fix the confusion players have when they don't understand the difference between lands and a mana pool. It's part of the reason people call <> "wastes" instead of "colorless mana".

I don't think I'll ever forget the guy I played against who thought "T: add G to your mana pool", on stuff like Llanowar Elves, meant "create a Forest token"

I couldn't even blame him because, as you say, it's the extreme outcome of removing that textual distinction between the mana and the basic-lands-as-entities

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mandatory lesbian posted:

Wizards hires people who are willing to work for less than they should because they love Magic and working on Magic is their dream job, and then turns them into bitter shells of people via bad management and insufficient resources to actually change things.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Ein Sexmonster posted:

I get that, I just mean that Hasbro is literally making the replacement for MTGO right now.
The upside is that when the MTGO team gets canned they can earn 1.5-2x as much money anywhere else.

Except they just pointed out they're not, so...

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Entropic posted:

Wizards hires people who are willing to work for less than they should because they love Magic and working on Magic is their dream job, and then turns them into bitter shells of people via bad management and insufficient resources to actually change things.

This. I almost interviewed with them before my current job. Then I saw what they paid and withdrew my application.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

It's a pretty easy fix to teach the difference between lands and a mana pool, but if you're going to have the giant text box there in the first place you might as well put the rules text in it, even if it's stylized. Otherwise just do the thing people like and make all lands full-art.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

JerryLee posted:

I don't think I'll ever forget the guy I played against who thought "T: add G to your mana pool", on stuff like Llanowar Elves, meant "create a Forest token"

I couldn't even blame him because, as you say, it's the extreme outcome of removing that textual distinction between the mana and the basic-lands-as-entities

I wouldn't be surprised if at some point the term "mana pool" goes away, and you just see Llanowar Elves read "T: G"

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

It's not even a recent thing I've seen multiple players of all eras of Magic think that adding a mana to their mana pool meant creating a land token. I'm pretty sure one newer player I played with was playing Dark Ritual under the assumption that it was a 1 mana triple Rampant Growth.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I remember thinking way back when that Force of Nature required you to sacrifice 4 forests each turn to prevent the damage.

I still thought it owned.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Entropic posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if at some point the term "mana pool" goes away, and you just see Llanowar Elves read "T: G"

They'll just avoid that by never printing mana dorks again, easy.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ultima66 posted:

It's not even a recent thing I've seen multiple players of all eras of Magic think that adding a mana to their mana pool meant creating a land token. I'm pretty sure one newer player I played with was playing Dark Ritual under the assumption that it was a 1 mana triple Rampant Growth.

Which, to be fair, it absolutely should be.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
They already fudge things w.r.t the mana pool too, like the improvise flavour text. "Each artifact you tap after you're done activating mana abilities pays for {1}" . That would preclude you from getting 2 mana out of an ethereum cell.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

BaronVonVaderham posted:

This. I almost interviewed with them before my current job. Then I saw what they paid and withdrew my application.

Should have done it anyways just to prod them on best practices

I wonder if putting MTGO developer in your resume is actually a red flag for recruiters in the know

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Ultima66 posted:

Yeah, you can't make an utterly idiotproof system, but it was at least closer when basic lands used the same syntax as everything else. If a basic Swamp says "T: Add B to your mana pool" and Ritual says "Add BBB to your mana pool" then there's less room to think they're somehow doing different things.

Entropic posted:

Ironically, that actually would feel like a return to some of the weirder card texts of yesteryear. Like when you'd have card text saying "B: Regenerates", or "R: +1/+0".

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 22, 2017

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I remember hearing about people who thought Frozen Shade's buff was permanent.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Entropic posted:

But enough about goons.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Familiars STILL do not reduce the cost of Buyback Capsize, which if it worked would have made UW Drake substantially better. This is an interaction I reported back in....June? Same with the stupid Reanimate/Containment Priest interaction that's more than a year old and is still broken and isn't on the "bug list".

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Entropic posted:

Giant growth said until end of turn and frozen shade didn't, it made perfect sense :colbert:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Entropic posted:

I mean, this is a totally reasonable mistake to make

For comparison, alpha Blessing looked like this:

Luckily someone noticed the inconsistency and they fixed it in time for Revised:

Elyv fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It's amazing how long it took them to do basic things like "have consistent templating of rules text between cards" and "not have cards worded like they were hastily typed out by an excited DM at 3am".

• Locked thread