Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

bu bu the base!! Yes more lost with the Milo ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

get ready to get jettisoned, pepe boys

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
turns out squishy normie republicans arent so comfortable with open nazism

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Alex Jones was screaming about Google loving with their ad revenue so I assume this hit Breitbart as well.

I could see them sticking with Islamaphobia and Nationalism but dropping the Pepe/alt-right poo poo.

lock stock and Cheryl
Dec 19, 2009

by zen death robot
Missed the "older gay men sexually 'mentoring' gay teens" chat, but I just can't be on board with anything involving adults and minors in any situation. For every relationship that someone looks back fondly upon, how many are a queer kid on the street being exploited by an adult for a place to sleep that night/week? How many are an apparently stable adult promising that kid the stars because they know the kid is naive and hopeful and will fall for it?

The disgust/taboo around adult/minor sexual interaction is ultimately rooted in an awareness of the extreme power imbalance in the situation, one that generally is not handled or accounted for. When you're young, sex is a crash course, and I think there are far better ways of providing positive guidance around sex to young people that don't involve exposing them to the risk of adults taking advantage of them.

This cultural aspect of gay life is a symptom of the disease that is societal homophobia. Lifting the stigma around queerness and normalizing it all across society, providing role models to queer kids, and letting queer kids work out their sexuality in the same ways as straight kids are the way to go.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

https://twitter.com/cafedotcom/status/834515020528525312

original video from extra in 2012:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGrpZwKtNBY&t=82s

MasterSitsu has issued a correction as of 22:50 on Feb 22, 2017

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I still think this whole CPAC invite thing was a setup. Maybe I've watched too many mob movies but it feels very Joe Pesci-in-Goodfellas. "You're gonna get made, kid." And then "WHACK" when his guard is down. And now the Breitbart execs saying alt-right is hurting business... they didn't just decide this yesterday.

lock stock and Cheryl posted:

The disgust/taboo around adult/minor sexual interaction is ultimately rooted in an awareness of the extreme power imbalance in the situation, one that generally is not handled or accounted for. When you're young, sex is a crash course, and I think there are far better ways of providing positive guidance around sex to young people that don't involve exposing them to the risk of adults taking advantage of them.
I had a conversation with a self-declared "ephebophile" who had gotten banned repeatedly from the forums, and his argument was that he was just attracted to teenagers. But I told him "You're almost 30. You know your teenage girlfriend isn't going to be a teenager forever, right?"

His response was silence. It is exploitation. Running through it all is using people up and then discarding them. Which also fits well with Milo's whole personality, opportunistically exploiting situations and other people, etc.

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 22:51 on Feb 22, 2017

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

STATEMENT DELIVERED AT PRESS CONFERENCE 2/21/07

I am a gay man, and a child abuse victim.

Between the ages of 13 and 16, two men touched me in ways they should not have. One of those men was a priest.

My relationship with my abusers is complicated by the fact that, at the time, I did not perceive what was happening to me as abusive. I can look back now and see that it was. I still don’t view myself as a victim. But I am one.

Looking back, I can see the effects it had on me. In the years after what happened, I fell into alcohol and nihilistic partying that lasted well into my late 20s.

A few years ago I realised it was time to do something good with my life. I started focusing on work. But the black comedy, gallows humor and love of shock value I developed in my 20s did not go away.

I've reviewed the tapes that appeared last night in their proper full context and I don't believe they say what is being reported. Nonetheless I do say some things on the tapes that I do not mean and which do not reflect my views.

My experiences as a victim led me to believe I could say anything I wanted to on this subject, no matter how outrageous. But I understand that my usual blend of British sarcasm, provocation and gallows humor might have come across as flippancy, a lack of care for other victims or, worse, "advocacy." I am horrified by that impression.

I would like to restate my disgust at adults who sexually abuse minors. I am horrified by pedophilia and I have devoted large portions of my career as a journalist to exposing child abusers. I've outed three of them, in fact -- three more than most of my critics.

And I've repeatedly expressed disgust at pedophilia in my feature and opinion writing. I was also the first journalist in the UK to ask after Jimmy Savile’s death whether the real story of his rampant child abuse would ever be told. My professional record is very clear.

But I do understand that the videos you have seen, even though some of them were deceptively edited, paint a different picture. I am partly to blame.

I do not advocate for illegal behavior. I explicitly say on the tapes, in a section that was cut from the footage you have seen, that I think the current age of consent is "about right." I do not believe any change in the the legal age of consent is justifiable or desirable.

I do not believe sex with 13-year-olds is okay. When I mentioned the number 13, I was talking about myself, and the age I lost my own virginity.

I shouldn't have used the word "boy" -- which gay men often do to describe young men of consenting age -- instead of "young man." That was an error. I was talking about my own relationship when I was 17 with a man who was 29. The age of consent in the UK is 16.

I did say that there are relationships between younger men and older men that can help a young gay man escape from a lack of support or understanding at home. That's perfectly true and every gay man knows it.

I am certainly guilty of imprecise language, which I regret.

Anyone who suggests I turn a blind eye to illegal activity or to the abuse of minors is unequivocally wrong. I am implacably opposed to the normalization of pedophilia and I will continue to report and speak accordingly. To repeat: I do not support pedophilia. It is a disgusting crime of which I have personally been a victim.

The remarks I made on podcasts and interviews more than a year ago were about my personal life experiences. I will not apologize for dealing with my life experiences in the best way that I can, which is humor. No one can tell me or anyone else who has lived through sexual abuse how to deal with those emotions.

But I am sorry to other abuse victims if my own personal way of dealing with what happened to me has hurt you.

I will never stop making jokes about taboo subjects. Go into any drag bar or gay club and you will see performers cracking jokes about clerical sexual abuse. I am not afforded that same freedom, because the media chooses to selectively define me as a political figure in some circumstances, and a comedian in others.

But I said some things on those internet live streams that were simply wrong.

My employer Breitbart News has stood by me when others caved. They have allowed me to carry conservative and libertarian ideas to communities that would otherwise never have heard them. They have been a significant factor in my success. I’m grateful for that freedom and for the friendships I forged there.

I would be wrong to allow my poor choice of words to detract from my colleagues’ important reporting, which is why today I am resigning from Breitbart, effective immediately. This decision is mine alone.

When your friends have done right by you, you do right by them. For me, now, that means stepping aside so my colleagues at Breitbart can get back to the great work they do.

My book, Dangerous, has received interest from publishers after my previous publisher Simon and Schuster informed me they no longer wished to release it. The book will come out this year as planned. I will be donating 10 per cent of my royalties to child sex abuse charities.

I haven’t ever apologized before. Name-calling doesn’t bother me. But to be a victim of child abuse and for the media to call me an apologist for child abuse is absurd.

I regret the things I said. I don't think I've been as sorry about anything in my whole life. This isn't how I wanted my parents to find out about this.

But let's be clear what is happening here. This is a cynical media witch hunt from people who don't care about children. They care about destroying me and my career, and by extension my allies. They know that although I made some outrageous statements, I've never actually done anything wrong. These videos have been out there for more than a year. The media held this story back because they don't care about victims, they only care about bringing me down. They will fail.

I will be announcing a new, independently-funded media venture of my own and a live tour in the coming weeks.

I started my career as a technology reporter who wrote about politics but I have since become something else. I am a performer with millions of fans in America and beyond. I’m grateful for the tens of thousands of messages of support I’ve received and I look forward to making you all laugh, cry and think for many decades to come.

My full focus is now going to be on entertaining and educating everyone, left, right and otherwise. If you want to brand or stereotype me, good luck with that.

Don’t think for a moment that this will stop me being as offensive, provocative and outrageously funny as I want on any subject I want. America has a colossal free speech problem. The land of the First Amendment has some of the most oppressive social restrictions on free expression anywhere in the western world. I’m proud to be a warrior for free speech and creative expression.

I want everyone in America, the greatest country in the history of human civilisation, to be able to be, do, read and say anything. I will never stop fighting for your right to do that.

Thank you. I will take 5 questions.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

quote:

A few years ago I realised it was time to do something good with my life.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Missed the "older gay men sexually 'mentoring' gay teens" chat, but I just can't be on board with anything involving adults and minors in any situation. For every relationship that someone looks back fondly upon, how many are a queer kid on the street being exploited by an adult for a place to sleep that night/week? How many are an apparently stable adult promising that kid the stars because they know the kid is naive and hopeful and will fall for it?

This cultural aspect of gay life is a symptom of the disease that is societal homophobia. Lifting the stigma around queerness and normalizing it all across society, providing role models to queer kids, and letting queer kids work out their sexuality in the same ways as straight kids are the way to go.

I don't know anything about the gay scene, but when I was in high school the gay dudes all had older boyfriends/sugar daddies.

I was rather jealous because they got nice clothes and stuff.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Wikkheiser posted:

I still think this whole CPAC invite thing was a setup. Maybe I've watched too many mob movies but it feels very Joe Pesci-in-Goodfellas. "You're gonna get made, kid." And then "WHACK" when his guard is down. And now the Breitbart execs saying alt-right is hurting business... they didn't just decide this yesterday.

Making themselves look like complete idiots is a pretty devious trick.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

hmm. i doub't it. i know bannon is technically out, but i assume he still has say, and i am sure milo wasnt the only massive bigoted piece of poo poo on the site.

Wikkheiser posted:

maybe. I can see the mainstream quietly trying to get rid of the alt right. Milo was kinda the "best" face of the alt right, the rest are even bigger sacks of poo poo and even more open about their lovely opinions, plus they can't hide behind sexuality. sinking him, even for other non good reasons(evil gay agenda) will push the alt right on the internet until they can drum up a new face.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Al-Saqr posted:

Holy poo poo what a loving idiot scumbag he literally shook his hand and called him a young Christopher hitchens holy gently caress what a stupid prick.

Tbf if the same had happened to Hitchens before he got big we'd all be better off.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

you put it better then i did honestly.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Sleeping Giants is significantly hurting their business. Doing god's work imo, if you have some free time you should help them out

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Good article from Laurie Penny:

https://psmag.com/on-the-milo-bus-with-the-lost-boys-of-americas-new-right-629a77e87986#.m6k3y6crx

Milo's young entourage seemed way in over their heads.

quote:

Slow down here, because this is important. However they may bluster online, the new right and the alt-right hate being called Nazis. They’ve all seen too many movies for it not to matter somewhere deep down where they tell themselves the story of their own heroism. In fact, ever since Inauguration Day, the alt-right has been in meltdown, splitting and splintering in cascading identity crises as only a formerly underground movement can when it attains power. Of course, it’s not my job as a reporter to give activists advice, but if it were, I’d say: No, they’re not all fascists, and not everyone reacts to being called one by changing their tune. But the strategic application of Nazi-shaming works. The real pity is that conservative hypocrisy seems to work faster.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

MicronAle posted:

The situation is quite comical because people keep calling Milo a white nationalist and nazi while white nationalists are like "WHAT! He doesn't represent me at all!"

According to that Laurie Penny article Milo flips the gently caress out whenever he's called a Nazi or a white supremacist, so it has the dual benefit of pissing off both parties.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

sam kriss on twitter wrote one of the most brutal takedowns of the prison planet guy i've ever read

https://twitter.com/sam_kriss/status/834407271581020161

this take affected paul joseph watson so much that he basically begged sam to lay off of him

https://twitter.com/sam_kriss/status/834565427166605312

https://twitter.com/sam_kriss/status/834567619822907392

these idiots are so weak lol

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Wikkheiser posted:

Good article from Laurie Penny:

this article is amazing, thank you for posting it. practically the whole thing is quotable. This section on Milo's young followers is eye-opening

quote:

Many of them don’t agree with what Yiannopoulos says, let alone what Trump says. They agree with the way he says it, because their life experience does not extend beyond interpreting being criticized as censorship.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i dont like paul watson :shrug: and yeah that paragarpah is right on target

he also tweets too much stuff and tweets p much the russian take on things. alex jones has zero to fear from this cuck

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

God that loving word. You know sewerlaserguy i expect better then that amateur hour poo poo from you.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Darkman Fanpage posted:

they never were, they just put up with it to get the votes. The swamp was never drained and they have money which buys power. The business wing/tea partiers have their own agendas compared to the alt-right's idpol.

The republicans always have had all have these factions same as the left's.

I think its just that the alt-right is perceived as the loudest and most visible at the moment considering Trump goes with Breitbart and Infowars

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Bud K ninja sword posted:

God that loving word. You know sewerlaserguy i expect better then that amateur hour poo poo from you.

hahahahahahahaahaaaahahahahahahaahahahjahjgfoiu

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Bud K ninja sword posted:

you should probably check the memo on the other threads lately imo :geno:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Lastgirl posted:

you should probably check the memo on the other threads lately imo :geno:

goddamn what new wacky fun rule is there now? I but dabble in these weird rear end waters

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
It gets better, apparently on the Debra Lafave case he said the real crime was "that we didn't get it on videotape." The student in that was 14.

quote:

Playboy: Are you saying teachers should be allowed to have sex with their 13-year-old students, as she did, and not go to jail?

Maher: I think it’s a little offbeat, but you know, I believe in the double standard. If a 28-year-old male teacher is screwing a 13-year-old girl, that’s a crime. But with Debra Lafave [another teacher who had sex with a student] screwing her 14-year-old boy student, the crime is that we didn’t get it on videotape. Was he being taken advantage of? I wish I had been taken advantage of like that. What a memory she gave him! I would think he’s a champion among his friends. Are you kidding? Even with Michael Jackson—-
http://www.playboy.com/articles/playboy-interview-bill-maher

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
this is a really good article

https://psmag.com/on-the-milo-bus-with-the-lost-boys-of-americas-new-right-629a77e87986#.45esis8ji

quote:

These are men, in short, who have founded an entire movement on the basis of refusing to handle their emotions like adults.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Zikan posted:

sam kriss on twitter wrote one of the most brutal takedowns of the prison planet guy i've ever read

https://twitter.com/sam_kriss/status/834407271581020161

this take affected paul joseph watson so much that he basically begged sam to lay off of him

https://twitter.com/sam_kriss/status/834565427166605312

https://twitter.com/sam_kriss/status/834567619822907392

these idiots are so weak lol

I can't believe how much this owns :allears:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Jesus Christ that quote.

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Darkman Fanpage posted:

they are, the act they put on about the alt-right is pure theater. they built these people and helped them grow.

even a passing familiarity with the nazi collaboration that took place and continues to take place within american intelligence and industry lays this bare. whether this is open or closeted has never mattered

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Al-Saqr posted:

Just for reference on how much of a pussy bitch maher is, the he rarely invites arabs who can chellnge him significantly (as in like decades rarely) because it tends to completely loving school him on how much he's a moron.

Case in points, in 2001 he invited an Lebanese academic who teaches in the UC system who loving sweeped the floor with him and the other bozos on the panel with him:-

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hl0DrOAFU1A

And in 2014 a palestinian Italian woman who was trying to tell him what he needed to hear and he's so obtuse he couldn't stand it:-

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zRlm4o6he74
drat she is so hot wtf

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

papa_november posted:

they are, the act they put on about the alt-right is pure theater. they built these people and helped them grow.

even a passing familiarity with the nazi collaboration that took place and continues to take place within american intelligence and industry lays this bare. whether this is open or closeted has never mattered

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
so all this alt-right stuff makes me wonder

where are the parents

mom and dad need to slap some poo poo out of some kids

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Wikkheiser posted:

so all this alt-right stuff makes me wonder

where are the parents

mom and dad need to slap some poo poo out of some kids

both working 40-60 hour work weeks to pay off their mortgage and car loans because statistically neither of them have had a raise since before their kids were born

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SpaceGoku posted:

both working 40-60 hour work weeks to pay off their mortgage and car loans because statistically neither of them have had a raise since before their kids were born
the anglo-saxon ideal of capitalism: treating your billion-dollar trusts and bank accounts like a high score, these same billionaires suffering comical amounts of genetic defects from inbreeding, happily ruling over an empty depopulated husk

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Uncle Wemus posted:

Don't think for a moment that this will stop me being as offensive, provocative and outrageously funny as I want on any subject I want. America has a colossal free speech problem. The land of the First Amendment has some of the most oppressive social restrictions on free expression anywhere in the western world. I'm proud to be a warrior for free speech and creative expression.
he might be right about this, but he hasn't thought about it very deeply. and it might also be that because the First Amendment has such strong protections from govt interference, the social prohibitions are stronger as a means to compensate.

milo would often gloat about how much he understood america better than americans do, but he is living in an abstract version of america where people don't get punched in the goddamned mouth for yapping too much.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i knew bill maher was an rear end in a top hat but holy poo poo he's a real piece of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
stupid beef and bad words get people killed in the united states at far higher rates than many european countries. (i think the U.S. is a western hemisphere colonial empire marked by slavery and with more similarities to many latin american countries than it does to europe.)

so milo's celebration of free speech runs into a contradiction in america in that it's a heavily-armed and rather violent country for a "developed / western" state. hannah arendt observed that "violence is mute." the gun rights advocates phrase it as "an armed society is a polite society." another way of putting it is that people are under greater social pressure to watch what they say because the pervasive threat of lethal [<--emphasis] violence in american life has coercive power that overrides the abstract notion of unfettered free speech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0hPhIr-ANY

ed balls walks into a saloon