Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Calibanibal posted:

yeah wow i cant believe that the clinton's are supporting the candidate who has no problem sucking wall street's dong, what a shocker

does perez have no shame

I honestly don't care which of them wins. I think they're both pretty much fine. In fact I hope Ellison does win because I'm just scared that the idiots are going to destroy the party (and thus doom us all to being ruled by conservatives forever) because the guy from The Blue Team won and Red Team 4 Lyfe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The problem is that people claim to have knowledge of this poo poo when they clearly don't; and when someone who does tries to explain, why for example Perez shouldn't have been expected to do what they thought, they throw a hissy fit.
If the Dems track record is so good why do they keep losing elections? There's that many people who are just cry babies in your opinion?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

snyprmag posted:

If the Dems track record is so good why do they keep losing elections? There's that many people who are just cry babies in your opinion?

Well, as both your idiocy and the recent election demonstrate, explaining nuanced policy ideas is hard; shouting "lock 'em up" is easy.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Or maybe the policy wasn't that good.

Also good to keep calling people idiots but expect them to vote for you.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

JeffersonClay posted:

Your housing value has returned, in large part because policies like TARP avoided a total economic meltdown. I'm also going out on a limb to suggest your mindset that your housing investment could only go up in price was a big part of the problem.

Well, not quite. It wasn't an investment, I lived in it and had to take a loss because I moved.

I assume you've never owned a home and experienced the fun of being over 150k upside down on your mortgage for years on end and knowing that your rear end is hanging out. I'll tell you this: it's not pleasant. At least I didn't get evicted.

Also stop pretending I'm saying "TARP shouldn't have happened" or "the banks should have catastrophically melted down" because I'm not saying that at all. What I'm saying is that the lion's share of TARP helped banks (they even paid themselves BONUSES) while the rest of the country got hung out to dry. And everyone knows that, even people like me who have brain farts and think that Obama was responsible for it.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

goddamnit these idiots from the idiot team are gonna ruin everything when the smart team's candidate wins aren't they

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

snyprmag posted:

I think there's a lot of reasons Dems have not fared well the last decade or so. I posted about that a few pages ago. Partially I think messaging is a problem. Part of it is just not building infrastructure to support candidates. We need a 50 state strategy. We need to have full-time paid interns working to help support state and local parties. We need to funnel them resources. We need to recruit quality candidates to run for office. We need to work with organizations like the Women's March, like BLM to help them organize.

I think the voter base itself has some problems, but my comment was more directed here. But it's a larger problem with society in general. That's why it's important, I think, for us as a party to be sane and to be factual and honest. I don't want to be a party that lies to its supporters and promises them puppies and rainbows -- and being fair, we haven't always been that. We must be consistent and honest.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
losing an election means you are wrong about everything. Winning an election means you are right about everything. Republicans won the last election, and therefore... wait. No. Bernie lost the primary therefore... shoot, give me a minute here.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Like DWS was loving awful as DNC chair and just rebuilding that will work loving wonders to getting dems back to power, but that's not going to be easy and it's going to take a while.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Well, not quite. It wasn't an investment, I lived in it and had to take a loss because I moved.

I assume you've never owned a home and experienced the fun of being over 150k upside down on your mortgage for years on end and knowing that your rear end is hanging out. I'll tell you this: it's not pleasant. At least I didn't get evicted.

That genuinely sucks and I'm sorry you had to deal with that. It was easy to think the real estate market would never stop going up, and that a mortgage would never limit your options because you could always sell at a profit. I've shied away from mortgages and kept renting mostly because I value the flexibility.

quote:

Also stop pretending I'm saying "TARP shouldn't have happened" or "the banks should have catastrophically melted down" because I'm not saying that at all. What I'm saying is that the lion's share of TARP helped banks (they even paid themselves BONUSES) while the rest of the country got hung out to dry. And everyone knows that, even people like me who have brain farts and think that Obama was responsible for it.

TARP wasn't free money it was a short term loan that got paid back with interest. Homeowners being foreclosed upon because they couldn't pay their mortgage would not have been helped, save a very few cases, by short term loans. But they were helped, each and every one, by the economic benefits of avoiding a full on depression.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I think there's a lot of reasons Dems have not fared well the last decade or so. I posted about that a few pages ago. Partially I think messaging is a problem. Part of it is just not building infrastructure to support candidates. We need a 50 state strategy. We need to have full-time paid interns working to help support state and local parties. We need to funnel them resources. We need to recruit quality candidates to run for office. We need to work with organizations like the Women's March, like BLM to help them organize.

....nothing economic?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

JeffersonClay posted:

losing an election means you are wrong about everything. Winning an election means you are right about everything. Republicans won the last election, and therefore... wait. No. Bernie lost the primary therefore... shoot, give me a minute here.

losing an election to a reality tv star who wears tanner and has plugs does in fact mean centrists have been wrong about everything

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Like DWS was loving awful as DNC chair and just rebuilding that will work loving wonders to getting dems back to power, but that's not going to be easy and it's going to take a while.

Just the damage her perm alone did will take aeons to repair

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

....nothing economic?

I think if we had better infrastructure and messaging, we would be talking to them about how our policies are designed to help them and improve their lives. I think the shift leftward has been good, we need to do a better job of talking about why that's important and we need to be honest about it.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

If it wasn't an investment then you wouldn't have cared that you were upside down on your mortgage because it would still be better to pay the mortgage then to rent. Whats really impressive is being down 150k. Did you buy a home for 500k with 20% down that was only worth 250k?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ogmius815 posted:

And all of this is done in the service of making a leadership election between two candidates with very, very similar ideas (and who, by the way, both seem to be prepared to work with the other) into a rancorous and damaging factional grudge match simply because one candidate is perceived as coming from Team Bernie and the other Team Obama/Clinton (which is the same team now somehow). It's loving nuts.

The only people I yell at are the ones who think a Perez win is Treason Against The People, I'm actually pretty happy with both options ( and Bootijedge) :3:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I think if we had better infrastructure and messaging, we would be talking to them about how our policies are designed to help them and improve their lives. I think the shift leftward has been good, we need to do a better job of talking about why that's important and we need to be honest about it.

or you could show them. for example, by putting the people responsible for the 2008 crash behind bars. or at least not let them continue to freely prey upon the poor. oh wait we're dems so we can't actually do that. but we can tell them how good things will be in 30 years if they keep voting for us!

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

a perez win is literally treasonous

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

What's the thread's opinion on Greene?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Condiv posted:

or you could show them. for example, by putting the people responsible for the 2008 crash behind bars. or at least not let them continue to freely prey upon the poor. oh wait we're dems so we can't actually do that. but we can tell them how good things will be in 30 years if they keep voting for us!

Yes, I totally think that. I agree, we shouldn't at all propose tougher penalties, including jailtime for fraud. Yes, I totally said that. Keep boxing at shadows.

Lightning Lord posted:

Who?

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 23, 2017

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

losing an election to a reality tv star who wears tanner and has plugs does in fact mean centrists have been wrong about everything

Is this retroactive? is there some sort of timeline fuckery going on that makes my prediction that Bernie would get blown out in the primary wrong?

Clearly we were wrong about some things, and the belief that trump would be easy to beat is first on the list.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lightning Lord posted:

Who? :v:

She'd probably be fine too, she ran Rock The Vote which did a decent job of energizing youngfolks. poo poo-all for party connections compared to Ellison and Perez, which you can take as good or bad.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

go to a if you're serious, b if you're not

a) Jehmu Greene.

b) lol good one, totally agree.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Lightning Lord posted:

a) Jehmu Greene.

It was B, but I like her. I don't know how she brings herself to go on Fox though.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Lightning Lord posted:

a) Jehmu Greene.

She can join Butt Mayor's clubhouse for people who would be fine at this job but also have no shot at it.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
They should implement ranked choice voting.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Based on hair, who's the best candidate? Like, we all agree that DWS' tragic perm is part of what led the Dems to disaster, right?

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It was B, but I like her. I don't know how she brings herself to go on Fox though.

I imagine they give their token progressive targets a lot of scrilla.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Lightning Lord posted:

Based on hair, who's the best candidate? Like, we all agree that DWS' tragic perm is part of what led the Dems to disaster, right?

I imagine they give their token progressive targets a lot of scrilla.

Greene by default. Perez should probably just cut to the chase and shave his head, and Ellison keeps his hair boring.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

karthun posted:

If it wasn't an investment then you wouldn't have cared that you were upside down on your mortgage because it would still be better to pay the mortgage then to rent.

As JeffersonClay pointed out, being 150k upside down means that if you need to change residences or downsize your payment, you either ruin your credit or cough up the dough. Having a 150k Sword of Damocles hanging over my head for years on end was not fun. Silly thing to say.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Obama wouldn't even attack the banks rhetotically. Pretending like there is no middle ground between an utter lack of accountability for bank executives and "gassing" bank executives is pure obfuscation.

JeffersonClay posted:

Is this retroactive? is there some sort of timeline fuckery going on that makes my prediction that Bernie would get blown out in the primary wrong?

E: too bad we don't have a time machine. Otherwise we could go back to 2015 and find out just how correct the centrists were about Bernie Sanders' primary chances, how many states and votes he would win, etc :(

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 23, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The Kingfish posted:

Obama wouldn't even attack the banks rhetotically. Pretending like there is no middle ground between an utter lack of accountability for bank executives and "gassing" bank executives is pure obfuscation.

There's just no point, this thread is a bunch of bad faith poo poo and I include myself in that. Bring on Ellison or Perez and let's see what they do.

edit: looking to be Perez if you believe the rumors/AP:

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/eb51ce519f9c430fbf5bff5a42b441ca/dnc-race-remains-tight-energized-democrats-combat-trump

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 23, 2017

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

snyprmag posted:

- Bill Clinton, in 1990, explaining why the Dems have to turn right because they'd just lost three presidential elections in a row

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

- Bill Clinton, in 1990, explaining why the Dems have to turn right because they'd just lost three presidential elections in a row

It worked in '92 but the electorate has changed a little since then. Both him and Obama could get elected, but didn't build enough of a legacy for others to run on.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
The CNN debate is tonight at 10 ET. Looks like all of the candidates are going to be there.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

The Kingfish posted:

Obama, 3 months in, blaming Wall Street greed and incompetence for the crisis.

quote:

Recessions are not uncommon. Markets and economies naturally ebb and flow, as we have seen many times in our history. But this recession is different. This recession was not caused by a normal downturn in the business cycle. It was caused by a perfect storm of irresponsibility and poor decision-making that stretched from Wall Street to Washington to Main Street.

As has been widely reported, it started in the housing market. During the course of the decade, the formula for buying a house changed: instead of saving their pennies to buy their dream house, many Americans found they could take out loans that by traditional standards their incomes just could not support. Others were tricked into signing these subprime loans by lenders who were trying to make a quick profit. And the reason these loans were so readily available was that Wall Street saw big profits to be made. Investment banks would buy and package together these questionable mortgages into securities, arguing that by pooling the mortgages, the risks had been reduced. And credit agencies that are supposed to help investors determine the soundness of various investments stamped the securities with their safest rating when they should have been labeled "Buyer Beware."

No one really knew what the actual value of these securities were, but since the housing market was booming and prices were rising, banks and investors kept buying and selling them, always passing off the risk to someone else for a greater profit without having to take any of the responsibility. Banks took on more debt than they could handle. The government-chartered companies Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, whose traditional mandate was to help support traditional mortgages, decided to get in on the action by buying and holding billions of dollars of these securities. AIG, the biggest insurer in the world, decided to make profits by selling billions of dollars of complicated financial instruments that supposedly insured these securities. Everybody was making record profits – except the wealth created was real only on paper. And as the bubble grew, there was almost no accountability or oversight from anyone in Washington.

Let me guess, that's not good enough?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

JeffersonClay posted:

yes cause he didn't get blown out :D

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

JeffersonClay posted:

words are cheap

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Ogmius815 posted:

The point is that saying Perez is a bootlicker for the monstrous crime of letting a beneficial settlement happen and not putting bankers in jail makes you look like a goddamn hack you monumental ignoramus.
He's a bootlicker for letting them off with a settlement to avoid jail time, yes. Not sure how pointing out the fact of it makes anyone a hack.

If I burn down your house, is the county prosecutor also getting in the way of a generous settlement, if I offer you a fiver to let me off the hook?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

JeffersonClay posted:

TARP wasn't about anything but making sure the banks didn't collapse like dominoes and unfreezing credit markets to get the economy out of free fall. I dare say marching all the banking executives off to the gas chambers would have made both goals more difficult to achieve. If that's really what the people wanted, I'm glad the people in charge didn't listen. Indulging the electorate's dumbest ideas can have lovely consequences.
And totally ignoring the mood of the people or telling them things are fine while they're screaming at you that they're not, leads to Donald J. Trump sitting in the Oval Office. Nice work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

JeffersonClay posted:

And what exactly did Obama do with the remaining 93 months?

• Locked thread