Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
RIP.

Doublecash and Chase Sapphire Preferred is my new combo. I think 2 cards is my sweet spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Would it hurt my credit to totally ditch the new, crappy sallie mae mastercard? I think they are just going to send it to me

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have double cash and discover it. Hoping it will do well enough

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Amazon sent me a fancy mailer extolling the benefits of their new improved Chase card (that I already had.) Seems a bit silly waste of money.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

smackfu posted:

Amazon sent me a fancy mailer extolling the benefits of their new improved Chase card (that I already had.) Seems a bit silly waste of money.

Marketing departments aren't competent a lot of times.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

potatoducks posted:

Doublecash and Chase Sapphire Preferred is my new combo. I think 2 cards is my sweet spot.
I'm a fan of pairing the no-fee Freedom with a Chase Sapphire Preferred/Reserve, since the UR points are transferrable and the 5% quarterly bonuses are usually decent.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

AndrewP posted:

Any luck with this? Did you get the 100k?

Sorry, didn't check back for a while. Yes, the person at the branch confirmed the 100k is available until March 12th. I was approved for the Reserve immediately and they overnighted the card to me. I already made the 4k purchase I was waiting on, so hopefully I get the bonus soon and can start booking some flights.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm a fan of pairing the no-fee Freedom with a Chase Sapphire Preferred/Reserve, since the UR points are transferrable and the 5% quarterly bonuses are usually decent.

While I was there I converted my old Chase card sitting in my desk to a Freedom in order to use this combo. I have to say I rather liked only carrying around the Doublecash, though. My wallet is too small for all these cards.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Anybody here tried the Citi National Bank Infinite Visa?

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I can't handle those rotating category cards. More power to you if you can though.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I've been looking at the SPG Business Amex since that card is likely going away. I've never done a business card app before. How loose is Amex with those sort of apps? I'll be applying with what I assume is $0 revenue and my own income.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Blinky2099 posted:

Yeah, RIP sallie mae barclaycard. Definitely my favorite card. I'm not a fan of carrying around a shitload of cards just to min/max so I'll probably switch over to citi doublecash for every purchase ever and be done with it

This except I'll keep my CSP for travel stuff / rental cars. Pour one out for our girl Sallie Mae.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

Blinkman987 posted:

I've been looking at the SPG Business Amex since that card is likely going away. I've never done a business card app before. How loose is Amex with those sort of apps? I'll be applying with what I assume is $0 revenue and my own income.

Extremely loose

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

As I understand it, Amex is looser than everyone else with business cards

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I'm out of my depth here, what is the recommended small business card?

I've got a couple of employees and am looking for something for regular purchases, financing some payables (think FedEx), and occasional travel use. Little to no fees would be best.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

FunOne posted:

I'm out of my depth here, what is the recommended small business card?

I've got a couple of employees and am looking for something for regular purchases, financing some payables (think FedEx), and occasional travel use. Little to no fees would be best.

What do you want? There are just as many business cards as there are personal cards so it's hard to reccomend without knowing what you're looking for as far as cash back, points, perks, etc. Category spend can also make a big difference if you have a lot of spend in specific areas.

asur fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 24, 2017

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

asur posted:

What do you want? There are just as many business cards as there are personal cards so it's hard to reccomend without knowing what you're looking for as far as cash back, points, perks, etc. Category spend can also make a big difference if you have a lot of spend in specific areas.

No annual fee or cheap. No foreign transaction fee. Rental car coverage. Cash back.

Maybe I'll get everyone setup with BofA business travel cards, that's 1.5% cash back (effectively).

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
Amex simply cash plus? Capital one spark cash?

Ed: ink cash is going to $500 in chase branches soon

DeceasedHorse fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 24, 2017

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
When I log into my Starwood account, I see that my 2 stays/5 nights credit is already there for having the Amex card open.

If I cancel my card today, do those stick around for this whole year or do they disappear?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I can't imagine they would ever attempt to claw back that benefit.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

dexter6 posted:

When I log into my Starwood account, I see that my 2 stays/5 nights credit is already there for having the Amex card open.

If I cancel my card today, do those stick around for this whole year or do they disappear?

I cancelled mine last year and they stayed.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

smackfu posted:

About half the time I log into the Citi website for my doublecash card I get a screen wide ad for...the doublecash card. It even has "not interested" and "tell me more" options. Reminder that this occurs after I've already logged into my account for that stupid card.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Barry posted:

I can't imagine they would ever attempt to claw back that benefit.

Cacafuego posted:

I cancelled mine last year and they stayed.
Thanks. I canceled today.

Starwood status is not that beneficial to me, so I don't really care about the free night benefits and the Boingo wireless I used to use but now I have a cellphone plan with unlimited tethering so can't justify $95.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Subvisual Haze posted:

About half the time I log into the Citi website for my doublecash card I get a screen wide ad for...the doublecash card. It even has "not interested" and "tell me more" options. Reminder that this occurs after I've already logged into my account for that stupid card.

For about two months after I cancelled my last Citi AA card I was getting offers to lower my interest rate on it

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
RIP Sallie Mae Mastercard, you paid down about $2k on my student loans :( Now I'm switching to Chase Sapphire Reserve (I got in before Jan 12.)

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

I think I'm going to just get the AmEx Blue Cash Preferred to replace the Sallie Mae. Spend around $120 a week on groceries and I can just grab Amazon/whatever gift cards to fill in gaps when needed, carry around my Double Cash for the daily driver.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Would Chase Freedom + Citi Double Cash be a good combination to cover all daily spending? I'm having difficulty finding a better combination.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The Amazon 5% Card and Citi Double Cash card are my current regular cards for Amazon and most everything else respectively. Discover IT and Chase Freedom are both good options if you can keep track of what their quarterly 5% category is.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Kirios posted:

Would Chase Freedom + Citi Double Cash be a good combination to cover all daily spending? I'm having difficulty finding a better combination.

Pretty solid combo if you're looking for simplicity + no annual fee + cash back

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I'm a fan of Double Cash for most everything, and Reserve for restaurant and travel expenses. Handling more than two cards just clogs my wallet space.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Same except I also got a 5% amazon card just for amazon purchases. Don't need to carry it in the wallet.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

potatoducks posted:

Same except I also got a 5% amazon card just for amazon purchases. Don't need to carry it in the wallet.

I forgot I had that too! It's easier than juggling the Freedom reward, which I'm not sure occurs anymore for Amazon purchases.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

ETB posted:

I forgot I had that too! It's easier than juggling the Freedom reward, which I'm not sure occurs anymore for Amazon purchases.

Chase Ultimate Rewards got devalued on Amazon. I'm not sure what the exact percentage is, but 1300 points will only get you like $11 back on Amazon.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Costco for 4% gas, 3% travel, restaurants and 2% Costco
Amazon for 5% Amazon

Bingo, bango, bongo.

Everything else we have to put on our debit cards anyway to get enough transactions to earn our balance checking interest.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Subvisual Haze posted:

Chase Ultimate Rewards got devalued on Amazon. I'm not sure what the exact percentage is, but 1300 points will only get you like $11 back on Amazon.

.8 cents per point on Amazon, which is dumb, because you can just buy stuff on amazon and apply the points as a statement credit for 1 cent per point (plus another .01 cents for earning points)

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
For all you Amex Plat users, they are apparently upping the annual fee to $550, adding a $15 monthly Uber credit, adding 5x category for FHR and amextravel.com hotel bookings, and making the card metal.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Perfect timing on the monthly uber credit, not two years too late at all!

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I thought the last change they made (5x MR on all airfare) actually made the card decently competitive, but these new benefits suck when compared with the fee increase. Looks like I'll be ditching mine unless they improve the retention offers.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

How does the Double Cash compare to the fidelity 2% card?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

ohgodwhat posted:

How does the Double Cash compare to the fidelity 2% card?

They're the same in terms of earning, but Double Cash has some of the Citi Perks (that you may or may not ever use) and is easier to use as a statement credit.

If you have fidelity investment accounts or savings accounts then sometimes the Fidelity Card has sign-on bonuses that can make it more attractive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

pig slut lisa posted:

I thought the last change they made (5x MR on all airfare) actually made the card decently competitive, but these new benefits suck when compared with the fee increase. Looks like I'll be ditching mine unless they improve the retention offers.

I easily spend $15/month on Uber so this effectively makes it cheaper for me. If I didn't, I would probably be looking to cancel after my next AF.