Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Wark Say posted:

How different is mahjong from something like, say, chess?

it's closer to Rummi

like you're trying to match 3 of a kind or four of a kind of a particular pattern

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

for Japanese Chess you want Shogi

or Go, really

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

homeless snail posted:

its not a board game, so very. its actually very similar to rummy

Oh. Then not my bag. Sorry, z0g. :(

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Some cool and good things that have been distracting me from reading this 100 page chapter of Witches :sweatdrop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1QSgdMPI5g
new arca :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wtqk54vkd1k
I want this

So pretty

One of several extremely good albums

A nice little witch house

:ooh:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think i'll read the wild arms manga

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

The Colonel posted:

i think i'll read the wild arms manga

even for anime that weapon looks incredibly stupid

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Stexils posted:

For a second I thought it was attached to her knee.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Stexils posted:

it's funny to me because most of the weapons in actual wild arms games are just weird western techno-guns or just straight-up lances and swords

hell, there aren't even swords in wild arms 3, your default attack if you run out of ammo in that game is to just bunt people with your gun

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm trying to think of something to do, since I'm having second thoughts about going back to an office job so quickly, if at all, or just to dedicate myself full-time to music. Ever since I read about that one dude in BFC around the time I got an account here, all I kept thinking was "I don't want to end like that! Gotta save money and stuff". And now it's been like 7 years of working non-stop, investing and saving money up, that I think I'm pretty much set for a couple of years. All the money for my daughter's college education is ready and... I just don't know what to do. All I've been doing since yesterday is jog, walk/play fetch with my dogs, watch anime and play guitar/viola.

For a few months, I've been trying to write prose, but all that comes out are kinda psychotic stories that read like a Hotline Miami fanboy's wet dream. and while I love those games' psychotic gameplay, the story I'm not all that fond of.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
the trick is no writer ever likes their stuff at first, if they have potential. its the same as with playing your music. you knew what sounded like poo poo and why it did before you could ever create otherwise, so you had to keep trying, yeah?

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Wark Say posted:

How different is mahjong from something like, say, chess?

Yeah, like has been mentioned, it plays more like an intense 4-player card game than something like chess.

The Colonel posted:

it's funny to me because most of the weapons in actual wild arms games are just weird western techno-guns or just straight-up lances and swords

hell, there aren't even swords in wild arms 3, your default attack if you run out of ammo in that game is to just bunt people with your gun

The weirdest weapon I can remember was that sword in 2 but, googling, it wasn't even that weird.

Wark Say posted:

I'm trying to think of something to do, since I'm having second thoughts about going back to an office job so quickly, if at all, or just to dedicate myself full-time to music. Ever since I read about that one dude in BFC around the time I got an account here, all I kept thinking was "I don't want to end like that! Gotta save money and stuff". And now it's been like 7 years of working non-stop, investing and saving money up, that I think I'm pretty much set for a couple of years. All the money for my daughter's college education is ready and... I just don't know what to do. All I've been doing since yesterday is jog, walk/play fetch with my dogs, watch anime and play guitar/viola.

For a few months, I've been trying to write prose, but all that comes out are kinda psychotic stories that read like a Hotline Miami fanboy's wet dream. and while I love those games' psychotic gameplay, the story I'm not all that fond of.

I feel you, I was in a similar situation not too long back. I ended up trying to pursue my passion and whew boy has it ever gone poorly for me though, so I'm afraid I can't really give any advice.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
It looks like you goons had an eventful day today. Hope everybody had a cool, relaxed discussion

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

wark, dryzen would like to know what your steam is, if you have one. i have no idea why he can't ask himself

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Space Flower posted:

the trick is no writer ever likes their stuff at first, if they have potential. its the same as with playing your music. you knew what sounded like poo poo and why it did before you could ever create otherwise, so you had to keep trying, yeah?
I get what you mean, and I don't want this to sound like a brag because I know that practice makes perfect for almost everything, but I got good at playing music really fast. Mostly thanks to the fact that my mom, awesome as she still is, used to scare the everloving poo poo out of me when it came to playing music proper back when I was like 8, because when I asked her how I played, most of the time she looked as though I had offended her in some way. Then I learned a few years ago that it was mostly all in my head, and when it came down to it the only thing my mom was guilty of was the unfortunate genetic disposition of having what's commonly called a mean case of the "Resting Bitch Face".

z0glin Warchief posted:

I feel you, I was in a similar situation not too long back. I ended up trying to pursue my passion and whew boy has it ever gone poorly for me though, so I'm afraid I can't really give any advice.
What is it that you're trying to pursue? If you don't mind a goon like me asking, that is.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

dogsicle posted:

wark, dryzen would like to know what your steam is, if you have one. i have no idea why he can't ask himself

I don't have a Steam account, unfortunately. After my daughter left for San Fran to go to college, the only things I was left with as far as gaming consoles go were a N3DS and a Vita, and I normally only played those while doing commute. Sorry, Dryzen. :(

e: Maybe the problem with my writing is that I can't spell for poo poo. :ughh:

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 23, 2017

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Wark Say posted:

I'm trying to think of something to do, since I'm having second thoughts about going back to an office job so quickly, if at all, or just to dedicate myself full-time to music.

Well, if the bills are paid, why not try something different that you enjoy? I think you may be a bit older than me, but I am trying to get everything in order so I can switch professions as well, even though it might take a few years to train up and break in.

Not too many people wish they'd put in more time at the office when they are looking back.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Wark Say posted:

What is it that you're trying to pursue? If you don't mind a goon like me asking, that is.

It's kind of awkward to explain but I guess translation+publishing sums it up alright. The eventual end goal was seeing older/more minor manga titles get official English releases, but I'm afraid I've mostly hosed my chances at this point.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

z0glin Warchief posted:

It's kind of awkward to explain but I guess translation+publishing sums it up alright. The eventual end goal was seeing older/more minor manga titles get official English releases, but I'm afraid I've mostly hosed my chances at this point.

You have my sword proofreading eyes. I've talked with other scanlation friends about this, it's everyone's dream to do it. So, seriously, if you ever are starting to get anyone going, pm me.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

z0glin Warchief posted:

Like your own thing? Or to become part of a company like Dark Horse, Viz and stuff like that?

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I'm free

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

dogsicle posted:

It's cause I was in class and wouldn't be able to follow up!

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Y'all went full AIDS while I was holding my breath for 6 hours

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Freeeeeedoooooom!

But more seriously, please stop posting "gas this thread" and "tomo is bad"(/whatever other shitpost) in the tomo thread.

We can discuss and disagree and argue or whatever, but please just don't shitpost in my thread.

Also I welcome funny edits in my thread(s). Just not low effort shitposting. Not sure if the mod will enforce a "no edits" thing, but I certainly won't discourage them.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

My suggestion was on the mark

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

You have my sword proofreading eyes. I've talked with other scanlation friends about this, it's everyone's dream to do it. So, seriously, if you ever are starting to get anyone going, pm me.

I've basically done every step in the process before (negotiating for licenses, translation, getting books printed/in stores, marketing, accounting, etc.), but I spent too much time trying to...build a portfolio of sorts and the window has mostly closed.

Wark Say posted:

Like your own thing? Or to become part of a company like Dark Horse, Viz and stuff like that?

My own thing, though I have some friends/contacts I was/would have been working with.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

How does it feel to be a free again?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

None who have been in kitty jail are ever truly free.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I was free once

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

AIDS

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i heard i could get aids if i posted here

what up tho

i just finished watchint evangelion + eoe for the first time

that was an experience

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

eonwe posted:

what up tho

that was an experience

It's a good experience

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

eonwe posted:

what up tho

that was an experience

Now you should watch some good anime.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Dangerous Person posted:

I was free once

Hey DP you should jump on the discord, i wanna talk to you!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/FurukawaMirin/status/834475610365841408

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

:eonwe:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Cute av/emote

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

eonwe owns

because :eonwe:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Tesseraction posted:

turn on your monitor

I was dead, but I appreciated this own.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

:c00lbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I was dead, but I appreciated this own.

Imagine I posted the knife emoji at you.

• Locked thread