Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Delivery McGee posted:

Yeah, the F-111 is famously low-slung.

The Thud, on the other hand...

The average person would have to jump to touch the intakes.

Every time I see an F-105 in person I marvel at how the gently caress the Thunderbirds decided it'd be a great tight formation aerobatic airplane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

~Coxy posted:

Uh, no way. They are big though.

(Sorry for the angled pic, not enough space in the hangar to stand far enough back with 18mm lens)

I misremembered. It was the rear tyres, not the nosewheel tyre, and even then not quite THAT big.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

are you a hobbit?

Only half.

Midjack posted:

How old were you?

28. :downs:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Previa_fun posted:

Every time I see an F-105 in person I marvel at how the gently caress the Thunderbirds decided it'd be a great tight formation aerobatic airplane.

The air force put an F on it! What more do you want??

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Previa_fun posted:

Blue Angels flying F-4s is almost as baffling imo. Possibly more so.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Thrust > Aerodynamics

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

I enjoy the Blues well enough but the Red Arrows/Snowbirds style big swarms of light jets are always so much more entertaining to watch :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3Lm4P7wvjg

Although we just got a worn-out Blues F/A-18A airframe at the Museum of Flight in Seattle after last year's show season, and especially engineless and parked next to the fuckoff big sky yacht F-14 it really is a very small aircraft :kimchi:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

The Locator posted:

Seems like a pretty good way to lose your pilot's license. At least in some countries.

you seem to be under the impression that the man flying that plane has a license

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Inacio posted:

Are modern fighters bigger mostly because they needed to have more weapons on them?

Among other things. If you think about it, there's a bunch of things that set lower limits on how small you can make everything - radar package size is sort of what sets the fuselage diameter for most fighters, which kinda gets to determining the drag and thrust needed, add fuselage volume to get the internal fuel amount you need for the desired range, then wing area comes about from desired stores load plus fuel load.

What's interesting is that you can basically tell fighter intended role from radar size, and it really really seems to drive the rest of the airframe size - the F-4 was built around a 32" diameter dish, and the F-14, F-15, and F-22 all have radar dishes in the 36" range, as does the SU-27, while the MiG-31 is up around 55". Compared, the F-16, F-18 and MiG-29 dishes are around 25-27", and the F-5, in the versions that mounted radar at all, had around a 20" dish.

The equivalent driver in WW2 was supercharger housing OD.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Previa_fun posted:

It's got a lot of inertia? Probably nice and stable.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Party Plane Jones posted:

TMZ got the video of Harrison Ford getting his license revoked:
https://streamable.com/5wlsu

Wait... the AA Airliner that he had to pass directly over to make that landing didn't tip him off that he might be making a mistake? Holy poo poo, he better lose his license.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

priznat posted:

Both teams were using the F-4 for a while.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

The Locator posted:

Wait... the AA Airliner that he had to pass directly over to make that landing didn't tip him off that he might be making a mistake? Holy poo poo, he better lose his license.

On Google Maps you can sort of imagine how you could confuse the runway with the taxiway right beside it, but in that video clip it's pretty blatant that there are no appropriate numbers or markings on what he's about to land on, which should have tipped him off.

Furthermore, you'd think he would know the airport layout and that there are supposed to be two runways side-by-side. So if you're landing on one, and there are two much wider strips to your right, you are probably making a mistake .

and if nothing else, "hmm, there is a jetliner parked sideways on the end of the 'runway' I'm trying to land on" should trigger an immediate go-around, and if it doesn't I dunno if you should be flying

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 22, 2017

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

He crashed on a golf course 2 years ago. Just sayin.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Yeah but that was legit engine failure. I feel like he gets a pass for surviving that one.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well that one was a little different. Apparently he had an engine failure in his 80-year-old plane, and a golf course is going to be one of the only open areas in Los Angeles where you might be able to crash-land without killing somebody

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

It gave us a good quote though.

"I would say that this is an absolutely beautifully executed -- what we would call -- a forced or emergency landing, by an unbelievably well-trained pilot," said Christian Fry of the Santa Monica Airport Association.

Also lets not talk about his other other plane crash or helicopter crash

Helo crash was during training, other plane mishap was loss of control on landing due to wind in, of course, a Bonanza -minor damage no casualties.

He's also done good pilot things like rescue people and fight forest fires

simplefish fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 22, 2017

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Godholio posted:

Both teams were using the F-4 for a while.

Ah I did not know the thunderbirds did too! I had seen the A-4 Blue Angels quite a bit when I used to go to airshows as a youngun, they were fun.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

mekilljoydammit posted:

What's interesting is that you can basically tell fighter intended role from radar size, and it really really seems to drive the rest of the airframe size - the F-4 was built around a 32" diameter dish, and the F-14, F-15, and F-22 all have radar dishes in the 36" range, as does the SU-27, while the MiG-31 is up around 55". Compared, the F-16, F-18 and MiG-29 dishes are around 25-27", and the F-5, in the versions that mounted radar at all, had around a 20" dish.

I don't think it's a simple as that. Saying, "well, the area of the dish is 36" so therefore it's main role is air search" might have had some truth to it in 1975 but is not at all true now. The F-15 started out with a pulse-doppler radar where the dish size would dictate the waveform and now has an AESA radar which had is number of array elements dictated by the size of the airframe. These are two vastly different things despite the naming convention of all being called "*APG 63*" and the AESA version will have vastly more functions and capability than that original pulse doppler.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Murgos posted:

I don't think it's a simple as that. Saying, "well, the area of the dish is 36" so therefore it's main role is air search" might have had some truth to it in 1975 but is not at all true now. The F-15 started out with a pulse-doppler radar where the dish size would dictate the waveform and now has an AESA radar which had is number of array elements dictated by the size of the airframe. These are two vastly different things despite the naming convention of all being called "*APG 63*" and the AESA version will have vastly more functions and capability than that original pulse doppler.

A 2010s vintage radar will be vastly more capable than a 1970s vintage one, yes, obviously, but range and ability to focus well at long range is still going to be affected by aperture size. My point is that for stuff where the design brief is optimized towards air superiority (or interception in the MiG-31's case) the allowed compromises in the radar are a lot smaller, while antenna (or AESA nowadays, yes) size gets shrunk for lower cost stuff where the emphasis is on multi-role capability.

Maybe I'm putting the cart before the horse, but I know some older air superiority airframes were essentially built around the radar sets they needed to do their job, and I'd just be surprised if that changed.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

priznat posted:

I'm still a bit surprised the Blues haven't transitioned to the T-45. Seems like it'd be a return to the A-4 era of tight and fast routines. I'm fairly sure 2017 will mark 30 years of them using the Hornet which is more than twice as long as any other aircraft has been employed in Blues service.

Plus they don't look bad at all in the paint scheme:

What's the current advanced jet trainer for the USAF? Still the T-38?

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 22, 2017

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Previa_fun posted:

What's the current advanced jet trainer for the USAF? Still the T-38?

Yep, though the T-X program is still accepting bids/proposals I believe. Thunderbirds stopped flying the T-38 when they had 4 crash into the desert (flight lead stabilizer locked, other 3 followed him into the deck)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Once you mute the psychotically relentless action movie score, there is still quite a bit of insanity left, of the aeronautical kind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJBX80xSYQc

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Party Plane Jones posted:

Yep, though the T-X program is still accepting bids/proposals I believe. Thunderbirds stopped flying the T-38 when they had 4 crash into the desert (flight lead stabilizer locked, other 3 followed him into the deck)

RIP

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Again, I will propose that all teams everywhere move to the G.91 :colbert:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S3XNnNkA4pc

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5A_zwNA4bxc

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 22, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Murgos posted:

Also the expected future direction for fighter radars is going to be spreading the driven elements out across the entire surface of the plane, and computationally assembling a virtual radar emitter an equivalent-wingspan across. No more round dishes in the nose.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

My girlfriend is genuinely disturbed by pusher canard aircraft so I like to play this game called guess which way it flies and show her interestingly configured aircraft. Its her least favorite game.

EDIT:

Ola posted:

Once you mute the psychotically relentless action movie score, there is still quite a bit of insanity left, of the aeronautical kind.

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Again, I will propose that all teams everywhere move to the G.91 :colbert:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S3XNnNkA4pc

The juxtaposition of the music to action ratio in these two is entertaining.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 22, 2017

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Ola posted:

Someone on Reddit pointed out that Colin Furze already accomplished this AND was actually safer about it (because his had shrouds around the rotors).

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

priznat posted:

(fortunately plans to adopt the F7U as the team's primary plane lasted pretty much exactly as long as it took for both pilots to divert to that airfield in the background with terrifying engine problems. I hear nobody even bothered retrieving the aircraft afterward)

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Once again it's time to post this article about the Blue Angels' rather unhappy experience with the Cutlass.

http://www.airspacemag.com/military-aviation/the-gutless-cutlass-12023991

quote:

While the Panthers were grounded for fuel control problems in the spring of 1952, Feightner, in a blue and gold Cutlass, made his Blue Angels airshow debut, flying a one-man show for VIPs in Pensacola, Florida. “I rolled down there, hit the afterburner, and headed straight up,” he says. “We didn’t have any other airplane that could do that in those days. I just started to climb, then I lost the hydraulics. You couldn’t eject until you got to 1,500 feet, and I topped out at 1,100, then headed straight down. I have the stick [full aft] and nothing is happening. The ground is getting bigger and all of a sudden everything hooks up again and the airplane goes nur-ooop. So now I’m flying—but there is a row of trees at the end of the runway. I couldn’t get over them so I just picked out a space between two trees and carved a hole through them.” Streaming hydraulic fluid and wood pulp, Feightner wrestled the Cutlass onto the runway and even managed to taxi up to the crowd.
“There is dead silence. They saw me hit the trees and knew I had a big emergency. Everybody is waiting to see what would happen. I get out and step off and a big cheer went up. Admiral Price comes over and says, ‘Man, that was a real airshow.’ ”

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

MrChips posted:

Once again it's time to post this article about the Blue Angels' rather unhappy experience with the Cutlass.

http://www.airspacemag.com/military-aviation/the-gutless-cutlass-12023991

You're burying the lede there:

quote:

They endured hydraulic system and landing gear failures, inflight engine fires, and, on one occasion, pieces of landing gear doors falling onto a grandstand, miraculously missing everyone.

All high-performance jets of the era—the North American FJ-1 Fury, the Lockheed P-80 Shooting Star, the McDonnell F2H-2 Banshee—had their share of unique incidents and accidents, but the sheer number of high-profile Cutlass misfortunes was tough to beat. Like the time Vought test pilot Paul Thayer ejected from a flaming prototype in front of an airshow crowd on July 7, 1950. Or when Lieutenant Floyd Nugent ejected on July 26, 1954, only to watch the Cutlass, loaded with 2.75-inch rockets, fly serenely on, orbiting San Diego’s North Island and the Hotel Del Coronado for almost 30 minutes before ditching near the shore. When the left engine on Lieutenant Commander Paul Harwell’s Cutlass caught fire moments after takeoff on May 30, 1955, Harwell ejected and never set foot in the F7U again—giving him more time in a Cutlass parachute than in the actual aircraft. An electrical failure forced Tom Quillin to abort a training mission and declare an emergency. Quillin returned to base only to learn he was number three in the emergency landing pattern, behind two of the three other Cutlasses he took off with.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Two F-86L Sabres in air defense shelters in July 1960

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
They look wrong with radomes.

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

What's the plane out in front?

I presume it's another Rutan joint, but I've never seen it before

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

No Starship, 3/10

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Epiphyte posted:

What's the plane out in front?

I presume it's another Rutan joint, but I've never seen it before

VariViggen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1SEgbolSF4&t=3858s

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 23, 2017

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Godholio posted:

Seriously. They look like they should have a propeller.

hmm... I bet a T-56 powered Sabre would be pretty fast ...

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Ola posted:

This isn't a loving hoverbike, its a loving drone with a loving saddle on it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

D C posted:

It’s a velocipede.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

D C posted:

At least it can hover! I wonder if the dream of making a "hoverbike" instead of a manned multicopter clouded his judgement somewhat. I would much prefer the rotors to be above, so the center of gravity is dangling beneath the center if lift and it's harder to accidentally chop a body part off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Godholio posted:

They look happy. "WE'RE PLANES!!! YAY!!!! LET"S GO FLYING!!!!"