Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Nanomashoes posted:

You guys said eating purple was good but now I'm a kobold with 2 stacks of frail.

You aren't believing in the purple hard enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Can I manage my second win and form a streak? http://crawl.akrasiac.org:8080/#watch-LordSloth Or will I fall flat on my face and splat?

HOFi^Nemelex diving into Zot now.

Edit: Ascended! 2-streak win.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 22, 2017

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

LordSloth posted:

Can I manage my second win and form a streak? http://crawl.akrasiac.org:8080/#watch-LordSloth Or will I fall flat on my face and splat?

HOFi^Nemelex diving into Zot now.

Edit: Ascended! 2-streak win.

Way to go! Now you are doomed to die on dlvl 1 next game.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Blinkbolt would be a good player spell that could be air/translocations.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
*random unread scroll*
*read it and it's acquirement*
"Hmm, had no luck with books this game so far, let's do this."

Don't let your dreams remain dreams.

Mummys are still a goddam drag and going through the beginning of the game with only magic dart, conjure flame, and some random luck with wands as your means of defeating everything has been tedious to say the least.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 22, 2017

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

you WILL have fun. :colbert:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Firestarter

I want it. :stwoon:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So uh, I just ate 5 purple chunks as a GaFi and got the blink mutation and Agile

I'm also wasting away, but since barely anything even scratches me that should be a non-issue until I can purple it away

e:

quote:

The cyclops throws a large rock.
You reflect the large rock off an invisible shield around you!
The large rock hits the cyclops!!
The cyclops dies!

:lol:

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 23, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
jesus christ this character :stare:

e: I just killed Kirke without even realizing she was there, I just saw a bunch of hogs and decided to rip and tear and apparently she was invisible and among them

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 23, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Does MR matter for Slime? I found a randart pair of gloves that has rCorr, but it has MR- and I'm not sure if that'll bite me in the rear end.

e: nevermind found a randart ring mail with Str+8, Slay+3 and rCorr :stare:

e2: jesus loving christ I would rather pull my goddamn teeth out than keep fighting Nagarajas. being teleported everywhere is annoying as gently caress, being teleported into a huge crowd on Snake:4 nearly killed even my absurdly OP character and I had to spam mutation-Blink and burn a tele scroll.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 23, 2017

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
You don't have enough MR, but you already know this it seems.

Honestly, after rPois, or even arguably ahead of it, MR is the most important resist to get, and just keep getting more of. gently caress rF/rC/etc, I'd rather run around with 0 elemental resists and a full MR bar than the other way around. lacking one makes you frail, lacking the other outright kills you.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Does MR matter for Slime?
Do you like being confuse-locked? Because golden eyes will do that to you if your MR isn't high enough.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
How is it going Naga Cheibro? I've heard taking it slow and easy is pretty nice.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Packs of Golden Eyes are probably responsible for more of my slime deaths than anything else. MR+++ is super important (to me).

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is a Merfolk Gladiator with a focus on dodging a good class to ascend with?

I want to ascend with 3 runes 1x before I hit 25

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Merfolk are really good, but don't ignore armor totally in favor of dodging.

Serephina posted:

You don't have enough MR, but you already know this it seems.

Honestly, after rPois, or even arguably ahead of it, MR is the most important resist to get, and just keep getting more of. gently caress rF/rC/etc, I'd rather run around with 0 elemental resists and a full MR bar than the other way around. lacking one makes you frail, lacking the other outright kills you.
I agree that MR is really, really important as resists go, but past the earlygame where it is great if you get it I don't think rPois is important. It is nice to have in lair branches but I consider that mostly a convenience(snake and swamp get pretty kite-heavy without it).

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
It's not bad. You're going to want some armor eventually despite your abysmal aptitude. Troll Leather is good for most of the game, but you'll probably eventually end up in (Foo) dragon armor. Whether or not you want to go shields probably depends on if you find a demon trident or not.

DD of Makhleb and MiBe are probably still the easiest starts.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh absolutely, to me an early source of rPois is a 'thank god' moment for everything you said, I mentioned it for just that reason, as it's such a noteworthy thing to have which even many newer players will recognize, but might not know how freaking important that subtle MR stat is

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Just wanna vent a little, but it's BULLSHIT that Jiyva isn't ALWAYS found near slime pits. I've made sooooooo many troll monks in the hopes of just once trying out Jiyva and I always get denied.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kaedric posted:

Just wanna vent a little, but it's BULLSHIT that Jiyva isn't ALWAYS found near slime pits. I've made sooooooo many troll monks in the hopes of just once trying out Jiyva and I always get denied.

There is a guaranteed altar at the final level of the Slime Pits.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Turtlicious posted:

You usually want to wear the armour that maximizes your AC+EV while still allowing you to cast all the spells you want to cast. Assuming you hybridize late, you'll probably end up in ring or scale mail (or the equivalent dragon armours). While not being a walking tin can in those, you will absolutely get a large benefit out of training your armour skill in them, so don't fall into a trap of thinking "I'm an EV character, I should wear leather and only train dodging".

That said, the Merfolk aptitudes are set up such that if your only goal is to win, you will have a "focus" on polearms. The absolutely insane rate you train polearms skill is by far the defining and best feature of merfolk.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Turtlicious posted:

There is a guaranteed altar at the final level of the Slime Pits.

Yeah but by the time I would actually be able to clear slime I'd have already gotten enough runes to ascend so it's kinda like :|

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Kaedric posted:

Yeah but by the time I would actually be able to clear slime I'd have already gotten enough runes to ascend so it's kinda like :|

The other day I got a TrMo to Slime:6 for Jiyva. I didn't clear every floor, just get to stairs ASAP and stair-dance anything that's unavoidable. Then I just blink-scrolled past TRJ and some other baddies to Jiyva's altar.

It sucks but it's doable.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
You don't need to clear Slime, the moment you convert they all turn neutral (i.e. burn some blink scrolls and/or haste potions)

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
I mean, your reward is getting Jivya to move all your stats from str to dex and then you die because you don't damage anything fast enough, so I wouldn't get too worked up about her being hard to get to?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I was gonna say IJC is the best god, but I see the name just changed.

So, anyway, Wu is the best god.

Earlier I took a single step next to the royal jelly and he died instantly.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
The "you might get Jiyva in Lair but maybe not" seems like a dinosaur of dubious origins, I'm not sure why that's still a thing. I remember dealing with this and it's just aggravating. It seems specially pointless when nowadays there's no -cTele which makes the dive to Slime:6 more consistent but still needlessly expensive (it's not like you're about to worship an actual top tier god like Trog or something)

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Song of Slaying stacks very nicely with Heaven on Earth, my goodness.

apple
May 18, 2003

I'm playing on trunk and I noticed some strange behavior: is wand of clouds supposed to have clouds disappear immediately when you lose sight of them? That doesn't seem intended :x

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
That's intended

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

apple posted:

I'm playing on trunk and I noticed some strange behavior: is wand of clouds supposed to have clouds disappear immediately when you lose sight of them? That doesn't seem intended :x

This is a fairly old change and was meant to cut down on players killing things from safely-out-of-sight: https://github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/8ebc43ee9846 https://github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/5342ddda93ea https://github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/7e89378e288a (First commit is the original removal, the second and third adjust it somewhat)

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

taqueso posted:

Way to go! Now you are doomed to die on dlvl 1 next game.

Nope! Still alive. For now.
pre:
l - the cursed +14 obsidian axe {chop, +Fly SInv *Curse}.

An axe with a powerful curse placed on it by one of the lords of Pandemonium, so
that unsuspecting adventurers would unleash demons into this world. Beware, for
it has ways of taking its wielder under its command... 
...at least it isn't Gong. I've already proved weak of will after staying in the Desolation of Salt despite hitting 11 HP and using up my 3 remaining potions of heal wounds. Nah, I'm hosed, I just haven't given in yet.

Edit: In addition to that axe, I also grabbed "the +2 cloak of Xyffoq {*Contam Int+5 Slay+6}."...

Edit 2: Sloth's tip for survival: Get banished into the abyss, THEN wear your ring of magic resistance.

Edit 3: Dead to a regular old 'lich'.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 23, 2017

apple
May 18, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

This is a fairly old change and was meant to cut down on players killing things from safely-out-of-sight: https://github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/8ebc43ee9846 https://github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/5342ddda93ea https://github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/7e89378e288a (First commit is the original removal, the second and third adjust it somewhat)

The problem with addressing the issue of "killing things safely and out of sight" this way is that you're also punishing *all* types of movement: you could just be repositioning so you can acquire more targets, you could have been blinked, or trampled, or anything else that shifts your positioning inadvertently. Also now this introduces a spoilery feature of wands from which I'm already using "fog of war" to dissipate my own clouds and create a path for luring smarter enemies not in my clouds.

Plus, it's probably okay now that they're wands and not rods.

e: Also I appreciate getting all the commits! I wasn't sure where to begin looking those up :downs:

apple fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 23, 2017

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

a jiyva altar really should just be guaranteed to spawn outside of slime. the whole 'sometimes it rarely happens but probably not' thing is tiresome and they're not even an 'optimal' god.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Decrepus posted:

Nuclearmonkee programmed some advanced machine code for me to insert into the crawl file so now I don't have to press spacebar as I slam tab. My killing speed has increased by over 200%. By killing speed I mean both me and the enemies.

Share the drat goods.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Turtlicious posted:

If you're on a time limit, just smash your way through with Yred.
Carry the black torch! Rouse the idle dead!

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Luceid posted:

Share the drat goods.

If you click (edit rc) it pulls up the game's machine-code and you put "show_more = false" at the bottom of it.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Ughhhh this game is such a tease. I was getting bored splatting my troll monks, so I made a kobold hunter to ease my craving for crossbows. Find a nice reflect neck right away, looking good.

Find some +2 gauntlets of archery, sweet, thank you floorgod. Start worshipping dithmenos for that sweet double crossbow action.

Oh poo poo find +10 artfact venom crossbow, clearly this was meant to be.

Die 3 steps after picking up the crossbow because of player ghost. Yyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Ok, I decided to try a VSMo^WJC and I had an absolute blast anime punching dudes to death until I died to the minotaur with a dire flail of crushing. I kinda feel like stealth works well because it lets you be a pseudo-stabber with lunging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

apple posted:

The problem with addressing the issue of "killing things safely and out of sight" this way is that you're also punishing *all* types of movement: you could just be repositioning so you can acquire more targets, you could have been blinked, or trampled, or anything else that shifts your positioning inadvertently. Also now this introduces a spoilery feature of wands from which I'm already using "fog of war" to dissipate my own clouds and create a path for luring smarter enemies not in my clouds.

Plus, it's probably okay now that they're wands and not rods.

e: Also I appreciate getting all the commits! I wasn't sure where to begin looking those up :downs:

it's not specific to the wand, it applies to literally every (non-opaque) cloud you create. note that before this commit, there was a very similar, but harder to discover behaviour where your clouds would dissipate at 4x rate when out of LOS instead.

• Locked thread