Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Somfin posted:

You don't know the difference between objectification and idealisation, but you sure have a theory to tell us about how being poor and being fat are the same thing from some no-doubt-enlightened perspective. Please feel free to lay it out in full rather than making these petty little snipes.

It's also possible to not body shame while also encouraging healthy habits. Granted the fat acceptance movement also adamantly rejects all of the medical science that says being too fat kills you.

Then again there are also people that believe that being "overweight" doesn't hurt you so being "morbidly obese" also must not. And it's like...no. That's not how it works at all.

It's problematic as well because apparently there are a hell of a lot of people who will change doctors if their doctor expresses concerns about their weight or eating habits. There are doctors who won't mention it because they're terrified of losing their patients.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
The funny thing about making fun of fat people is that it demonstrably does not encourage them to lose weight and often makes it worse, yet people do it anyway almost as if they don't care about fat people getting better and just want to feel like they're better than someone

That being said:

Somebody has a new favorite as of 02:45 on Feb 23, 2017

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I don't have a problem with someone asking a doctor for any of these things. Just like I'll bet the people that walk around with this cue card have no problem reading the mountains of studies the doctors can provide that link obesity to health problems. Everyone wins and they get to leave more informed.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

monkeytennis posted:

Generalising but fat people are lazy bums with poor self control and decision making skills, and often a victim mentality.

It's got gently caress all to do with mental illness imo.

Sometimes you're just poor and stupid. I grew up fat and just barely above the poverty line, my mother grew up starving and below the poverty line. She had to raise two kids alone while working two jobs so she didn't give us the best nutritional meals or anything but we always had something to eat, even if it was often McDonalds because it was cheap and something she could pick up on the way home after a late day. As a result we didn't really learn poo poo about eating healthy until we had grown older and realized how unhealthy our lifestyle was and had the luxury of learning how to lose weight on our own time. Even then it sucked because I live in a place where fresh fruit is expensive and goes bad after a day or two, if you're lucky enough that the stuff in the store isn't already going bad. But hey, there's a mcdonalds on every other street.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
"The research I've seen" has got to be the most annoying start of any sentence a doctor hears. Seriously.

"Well, bad news. You've got prediabetes. Not a huge problem now, but we can manage it before it gets worse through a better diet and finding you ways to be more active."

"The research I've seen says..."

*silently offers his eternal soul to satan in exchange for the ability to burn the patient alive telekinetically*

Informed consent and second opinions are great, but whipping this poo poo out until someone begrudgingly says "FINE YOU'RE GOOD JUST GET OUT OF MY OFFICE" is just shopping for the answer you want.

Also a vast majority of people who attempt weight loss fail because they don't loving listen to their physicians or fall for some dumbass TV flavor-of-the-week diet scheme, not because losing weight is a bad idea.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

haha bitch eat a loving sandwhich.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Also a vast majority of people who attempt weight loss fail because they don't loving listen to their physicians or fall for some dumbass TV flavor-of-the-week diet scheme, not because losing weight is a bad idea.

That or they just plain do a diet wrong or lie to themselves about how much exercise they're getting. It's also common to just plain give up because of setting impossibly high standards. Society is of course partly at fault on that one but still.

One of the most interesting thing I noticed about diets is that the people who succeed at dieting are generally the ones that cheat on them. If you eat properly 6 days a week and then eat like garbage on the 7th...well hey that's better than eating like crap every day, isn't it? Of course the other thing is that we've associated "healthy" with "bland or tastes bad." We've associated dieting with subsisting entirely on a few lettuce leaves and a picture of a potato every day. If you aren't running literal marathons you aren't exercising.

Then again as was said before here it's just plain easier to be fat and lazy.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Turtlicious posted:

:stonk:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, I'm not fat, which or some reason people will assume whenever you stand up for them. But I want heavy people to have self-worth, which I think will be the best guide to them living a better and healthier life.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That or they just plain do a diet wrong or lie to themselves about how much exercise they're getting. It's also common to just plain give up because of setting impossibly high standards. Society is of course partly at fault on that one but still.

One of the most interesting thing I noticed about diets is that the people who succeed at dieting are generally the ones that cheat on them. If you eat properly 6 days a week and then eat like garbage on the 7th...well hey that's better than eating like crap every day, isn't it? Of course the other thing is that we've associated "healthy" with "bland or tastes bad." We've associated dieting with subsisting entirely on a few lettuce leaves and a picture of a potato every day. If you aren't running literal marathons you aren't exercising.

Then again as was said before here it's just plain easier to be fat and lazy.

hahaa you're right, all these people'd have to do is eat once in a while, but they loving don't too lazy to pick up the forks skinny fucks.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Like drat, how loving lazy do you have to be to not even want to eat food?!?! its' a necessary biological component?

Just let these skinny people die already, too dumb too eat.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Pick posted:

Yeah, I'm not fat, which or some reason people will assume whenever you stand up for them. But I want heavy people to have self-worth, which I think will be the best guide to them living a better and healthier life.

It's entirely possible to encourage healthy habits without fat shaming.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Pick posted:

Making fun of fat people is the safest group of people you can bully online because they'll always fall on 'Thermodynamics!' stawmen and nobody is risking losing their jobs over Mocking fat people online.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I agree. I don't think fat shaming is productive, just like I think fake-coughing when you walk by a smoker is obnoxious.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

This might be a cosplay but no button should be forced to go thro that.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

purple death ray posted:

I know I really missed the fat threads from GBS thanks so much to the something awful historical reenactment society for this special performance

Let's be posting pals and pull this thread out of its nose dive!

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

ToxicSlurpee posted:

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
can type ii diabetes be an emotion so that people might start avoiding it

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Mmm, but have you considered that anorexia nervosa and being a bit of a chunky chubster are actually the same thing?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Turtlicious posted:

hahaa you're right, all these people'd have to do is eat once in a while, but they loving don't too lazy to pick up the forks skinny fucks.

She might not be fat, but she's definitely big boned :thejoke:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

"Wow great content, Emmy, here is some of my own!"

^This could be you!!!!!

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007

I don't actually have any context for this.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

This cool guy is (was?) the Guinness world record holder for biggest biceps. Truly an inspiration to us all.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Mackers posted:

This cool guy is (was?) the Guinness world record holder for biggest biceps. Truly an inspiration to us all.

How is that a big bicep when most of it is synthol?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Dienes posted:

Yeah thats like putting pillows in your sleeves and saying you have muscles

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
welp

Only registered members can see post attachments!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Synthol is so horrible looking

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Somebody has a new favorite as of 02:42 on Feb 23, 2017

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

Dienes posted:

I guess the Guinness dudes either don't care or have no idea what synthol is.

Would it be harm reduction to tell them to just do steroids instead? At least that way they don't risk having their arms amputated.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

ToxicSlurpee posted:

One of the most interesting thing I noticed about diets is that the people who succeed at dieting are generally the ones that cheat on them. If you eat properly 6 days a week and then eat like garbage on the 7th...well hey that's better than eating like crap every day, isn't it?

This is objectively wrong and I have no idea where you got the impression that weekly binges are a good thing.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Pretty sure cheating for a day on a diet doesn't automatically mean binging.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Turtlicious posted:

Season 2 of The Expanse looking good.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

EmmyOk posted:

Synthol is so horrible looking

I've always wondered...do people who use synthol think they're fooling anybody? They always seem to inject it into a few specific muscles and then not balance it out. Or they'll inject it in a way that makes them look like a bunch of person-colored balloons taped together.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Hopefully he built up some muscle while doing it, so he doesn't look like a deflated balloon under all that.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I've always wondered...do people who use synthol think they're fooling anybody? They always seem to inject it into a few specific muscles and then not balance it out. Or they'll inject it in a way that makes them look like a bunch of person-colored balloons taped together.

Body dysmorphia is a real son of a bitch.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Isn't that the guy who injected a bunch of stuff into his biceps and then when it solidified into this stone-like substance narrowly avoided having both of his arms amputated (he had surgery to remove the stuff he'd injected with instead)?

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I'm at a point in my life I'm more horrified by synthol than at the goatman. I don't think I can go back. He may as well be a site mascot now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

When I see Goatse now it isn't horrifying, but more like running into an old friend on the street.

(I feel like I've seen similar sentiment expressed on the forums so I apologize if I somehow copied it word for word)

• Locked thread