Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

A good portion of the console's life was designed around scamming the customer into later buying a hard drive.

And if you were unfortunate enough to live in the UK it cost the equivalent of about $200 to buy a 120gb hard drive for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

The PSP and Vita were virtually impossible to play without hilariously overpriced memory sticks too. The Vita's flash memory was proprietary and exclusive to the handheld too. Good thing Nintendo has always used cheap (micro) SD. You can pick up a 200GB micro SD for like $60-70 and never have to bother again for your Switch, so why complain? Nintendo's being as reasonable as possible on storage here.

PSP did use slightly more expensive Memory Stick format compared to other formats, but it wasn't as hugely overpriced as their Vita sticks were. Even with the PSP memory sticks, you had the option to take it to other devices that might use it, too: Card readers and other Sony devices for example.

But, yeah, Sony screwed the pooch on the memory card system for the Vita in such a way that I can only describe it as, "If you're going to pirate games on this system this time, you're going to paying the price of the games in the form of storage."

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Not too long after that, plenty of 360 games started requiring caching of game data, so you couldn't play those games on an Arcade model sans hard drive! A good portion of the console's life was designed around scamming the customer into later buying a hard drive.

If you bought the Xbox core Microsoft gave out free 512mb memory cards once local storage became mandatory or your could get the 20gb HD for $20.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Quote-Unquote posted:

why is it the legend of zelda when you play a lil fruity elf guy called Link and Zelda barely even shows up or does anything ever?

her titties are the legend

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

NihilismNow posted:

If you bought the Xbox core Microsoft gave out free 512mb memory cards once local storage became mandatory or your could get the 20gb HD for $20.

20GB hard drives could quickly be filled up by like 5 games and those tiny memory cards couldn't hold poo poo past game saves. Fact is Microsoft designed the Xbox 360 around scamming their customers into buying hard drives and didn't stop doing so until many years into the console's lifespan.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The 360 launched in an era where downloadable games were still considered sort of a novelty, though. I think for a few years the DLC marketplace on the system were sort of more revolving around the smaller indie, arcade and add-on content downloads. To that extent, I even seem to recall someone saying that for quite a while MS put some size restrictions on Indie and arcade games so that simply having a 256MB storage card would still be able to handle a few such titles or a lot of DLC add-ons and saves.

I think for about five years into the system's lifecycle I'm pretty sure one of MSs rules for games publishing on the system was that no retail game could require HD installs to play (to save, yeah, but not to play). I think they ultimately made some concessions to the policy in the form of something like a few online-only games like Final Fantasy before they finally updated the firmware to allow USB drives and external hard drives in place of MS's HD and memory cards, giving install to HD options to decrease load times and wear on the drive, etc.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Oh God the Xbox 360 hard drives were the biggest loving ripoffs. It was like $100 for a 60 gig :wtc:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Oh God the Xbox 360 hard drives were the biggest loving ripoffs. It was like $100 for a 60 gig :wtc:

I'm surprised that there exists / at one time existed a bigger ripoff than Vita memory cards, wow.

I say that despite being that guy that blew $100 on an import 64 gig card. God I hope with people hacking the Vita deeper and deeper someone figures out USB mass storage, so I can feel worse about that decision.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

it was really easy to mod it and use a normal, cheap hdd.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

20GB hard drives could quickly be filled up by like 5 games and those tiny memory cards couldn't hold poo poo past game saves. Fact is Microsoft designed the Xbox 360 around scamming their customers into buying hard drives and didn't stop doing so until many years into the console's lifespan.

There was no expectation of caching discs last gen until Sony made it standard. IIRC, before caching, you couldn't even buy full retail games on the 360, only indie titles with strict storage limits. And as was said, they made it pretty easy to get a cheap drive once they realized the core was untenable.

But good try.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

JediTalentAgent posted:

The 360 launched in an era where downloadable games were still considered sort of a novelty, though.

Sure. But for the life of the system, even when downloadable games became A Thing and they started offering reasonable size drives, they still charged out the rear end for their dumb proprietary drives. Which were just an average slow laptop drive with magic bios and a plastic caddy.

They were constantly called on it by people as stupid profit-taking when they should be encouraging people to buy more games by giving them cheap storage.

And the Xbox One was almost as bad, standard model at launch came with 500gb drives and the OS and poo poo uses 140 of that. Space for like 10 games. But at least MS can figure out how to deliver downloads that take less than a day.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Is the new Zelda going to be on anything besides the Switch?

If not, they got my dollars!!!

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Is the new Zelda going to be on anything besides the Switch?

If not, they got my dollars!!!

The Wii U.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gay Weed Dad posted:

Yeah but the 360 arcade was a low-priced offering designed to be bare bones.

I'm going to say it right now: The 360 Arcade nerfed an entire generation of consoles in ways most people don't realize. I loving despise that console. A lot of people don't know what Microsoft did with this, but basically:

1- First off you have to remember the 360 was the base line console. The PS3 was more powerful, but the 360 had a larger install base so almost every game was made with 360 compatibility paramonunt.
2- Microsoft dictated that because of the Arcade's existence, no game could require a hard drive for any reason. You just couldn't. Requiring even a couple MB of cache space was grounds for denial.
3- Now for the final bit, remember that Microsoft also insisted on using a regular DVD for the 360 and not a high-capacity media of any sort, something the PS3 had.

What did this all add up to? Simple: While the 360 could have supported far better texture resolutions and graphics than it often had, it'd required some installed files to unpack them as the media wasn't large enough to store this stuff out of the box. As a result every PS3 game was pure poo poo since nobody decided to leave up-scaled graphics versions that the PS3 could have supported and instead just worried about direct porting the 360 version. The regular 360 and PS3 could have had far improved graphics - and eventually, bigger worlds and such - since both consoles had HDDs, but nobody used the HDs on either console much (except the lazy "install literally everything" PS3 shovelware) because again, everyone developed with the 360 compatibility as the most important thing and Microsoft forbid relying on one of the 360's features.

So basically the only reason any of this happened was the Arcade existed. A lovely console meant to fight Sony's price point that lasted all of a few months meant developers wouldn't touch the HD for an entire loving generation.*

* In the verrrrrry last couple months a small handful of games were able to petition out of this; Rage was one of the notable big fights with Microsoft. But I'm talking "we finally laxed this rule like two months before the Xbox One replaced the 360" so poo poo load of help that was

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 23, 2017

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

P-Mack posted:

The Wii U.

Looks like I'm not getting the switch!!!

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
EXPECTATION

REALITY

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

bitmap posted:

skyward sword rules and is good so hmm

no sorry it sucks and is bad :shrug:

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Better preorder now, or something, you can't miss out on uh 400 to 500 dollars worth of one game

Get it now

Did you get it yet

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Blazing Ownager posted:

I'm going to say it right now: The 360 Arcade nerfed an entire generation of consoles in ways most people don't realize. I loving despise that console. A lot of people don't know what Microsoft did with this, but basically:

1- First off you have to remember the 360 was the base line console. The PS3 was more powerful, but the 360 had a larger install base so almost every game was made with 360 compatibility paramonunt.
2- Microsoft dictated that because of the Arcade's existence, no game could require a hard drive for any reason. You just couldn't. Requiring even a couple MB of cache space was grounds for denial.
3- Now for the final bit, remember that Microsoft also insisted on using a regular DVD for the 360 and not a high-capacity media of any sort, something the PS3 had.

What did this all add up to? Simple: While the 360 could have supported far better texture resolutions and graphics than it often had, it'd required some installed files to unpack them as the media wasn't large enough to store this stuff out of the box. As a result every PS3 game was pure poo poo since nobody decided to leave up-scaled graphics versions that the PS3 could have supported and instead just worried about direct porting the 360 version. The regular 360 and PS3 could have had far improved graphics - and eventually, bigger worlds and such - since both consoles had HDDs, but nobody used the HDs on either console much (except the lazy "install literally everything" PS3 shovelware) because again, everyone developed with the 360 compatibility as the most important thing and Microsoft forbid relying on one of the 360's features.

So basically the only reason any of this happened was the Arcade existed. A lovely console meant to fight Sony's price point that lasted all of a few months meant developers wouldn't touch the HD for an entire loving generation.*

* In the verrrrrry last couple months a small handful of games were able to petition out of this; Rage was one of the notable big fights with Microsoft. But I'm talking "we finally laxed this rule like two months before the Xbox One replaced the 360" so poo poo load of help that was

either everyone is pretty okay with it, since they keep buying the consoles, or they buy them despite not being okay with it because they just can't handle the thought of not doing so, in which case they deserve it and can get hosed

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

given the pitiful battery life the switch has, even the tethered to the outlet part of this picture is accurate

then remember that li batteries lose capacity after 1-2 years and the switch's isn't replaceable. a great portable system!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Klyith posted:

given the pitiful battery life the switch has, even the tethered to the outlet part of this picture is accurate

then remember that li batteries lose capacity after 1-2 years and the switch's isn't replaceable. a great portable system!

the battery life isn't that far off from what the 3DS is believe it or not.

also someone posted the insides of a switch and the battery is easily serviceable; it's just held on with a little black and red wire, you just unplug it identical to the wii U gamepad

Klyith posted:

Sure. But for the life of the system, even when downloadable games became A Thing and they started offering reasonable size drives, they still charged out the rear end for their dumb proprietary drives. Which were just an average slow laptop drive with magic bios and a plastic caddy.

They were constantly called on it by people as stupid profit-taking when they should be encouraging people to buy more games by giving them cheap storage.

And the Xbox One was almost as bad, standard model at launch came with 500gb drives and the OS and poo poo uses 140 of that. Space for like 10 games. But at least MS can figure out how to deliver downloads that take less than a day.

Remember when Microsoft was charging $20 for this?

lol

Blazing Ownager posted:

Actually that started way before the Arcade 360 came out. At launch, the standard 360 came with no hard drive (and the "pro" one came with 20gb).

but the Arcade model was especially hilarious because the whole point of it was "XBox Live Arcade downloads" hence the name. So they marketed for that use but shipped it with a 256mb hard drive.

and actually the pricing was worse than I remembered for the hard drives. a 120gb xbox 360 hard drive retailed for $180 :lol:

they were literally laptop hard drives in a plastic case with a weird connector on it. You could literally open the plastic shell up and use it in a laptop and all you'd have to do is format it.

edit: they also charged $99 USD for a loving wifi dongle, and there were no 3rd party options

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 23, 2017

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
The thing that sort of got me was that MS should have really kept evolving the 360 too much in terms of onboard storage with the arcade SKU. Going from zero to 256mb was nice, though. 4GB was a marked improvement, but by the time the second SLIM iteration was coming out and the price and even availability of official HDs was horrible. If not for the eventual increase in external HD capacity and compatibility, it'd probably have been a worse siutation by post 2012 or so.

They should have upgraded it from 4GB to at least 16GB to at least cover most any game that would still require HD install.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Remember when Microsoft was charging $20 for this?

lol

Yes, because as my batteries died this thing became molten hot when plugged in.

I wanted to use regular batteries but I had to go get some stupid plastic battery clip thing.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

edit: they also charged $99 USD for a loving wifi dongle, and there were no 3rd party options

There was at least one unofficial 3rd party option. I think it consisted of using the USB port for power and maybe connected to the ethernet port. Essentially, I think it maybe acted like a cheap bridge or something. I remember for a short time, too, there was an old wireless adapter maybe Belkin or DLink or someone made with the Xbox branding for the original 2001-era Xbox that was a fairly large box that did the same time. I think there are some other similar devices that started selling about 5 years ago for people who had BD-players and game systems without wifi but with wired ethernet to let them do the same thing

Not that any of them were super cheap, but they're still probably cheaper than the MSRP on the official 360 ones were and you had the added benefit of being able to use it on other devices, too.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Uncle Wemus posted:

no sorry it sucks and is bad :shrug:

Oh word ok

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
lol if you buy console games in TYOOL 2012

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
video games really are for children anyway. you should buy a power tool with you money instead, and build a shed

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Rutibex posted:

video games really are for children anyway. you should buy a power tool with you money instead, and build a shed

I can do that in Sims 3

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

While I am not excusing the horrid nickle-and-diming Microsoft did for 360 accessories in the least (like the loving rechargeable battery pack!), you could hook up any bog standard wifi bridge or the like to your console. The only difference is the official adapter was foolproof to setup and matched with your 360. But you didn't need to blow $99 on that junk.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rutibex posted:

i don't know, are there achievements or an online ranking system for sheds?

polio king
Jun 19, 2004

literally lol at people that play consoles. that's been trash tier gaming for awhile now

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

polio king posted:

literally lol at people that play consoles. that's been trash tier gaming for awhile now

Seriously. The last good console was GameCube and the last great one was SNES.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

polio king posted:

Yeah, whatever you say. *sits on couch and plays Overwatch* :smug:

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
1 2 switch

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Rutibex posted:

gonna build a guillotine to kill myself quick and clean

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Professor SJW posted:

gonna build a guillotine to kill myself quick and clean

Gonna prepare my "he'll never be the head of a major corporation" jokes in advance. Thanks for the heads up!

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

some1 sell me a nintendo branded switch

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Kuato posted:

Gonna prepare my "he'll never be the head of a major corporation" jokes in advance. Thanks for the heads up!

i wonder if i can set it up so my phone automatically takes a photo when the blade falls and posts it in a thread in gbs and sends an alert to kuato so he can get first post

anybody know how to set that up on an android? pls pm me

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Professor SJW posted:

i wonder if i can set it up so my phone automatically takes a photo when the blade falls and posts it in a thread in gbs and sends an alert to kuato so he can get first post

anybody know how to set that up on an android? pls pm me

i think it would be easier to do a live stream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
This is going to be like the 5th console in a row i'll regret not buying in bulk and ebaying. I'll never learn.

• Locked thread