Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

🔪

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Mahjong is just Chinese Poker. I mean, the exact rules aren't all that similar, but it's a 4 player card game that's mostly associated with gambling.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

:fork:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
After watching five eps of Kemono Friends I can safely say that the show has a lot of heart and a ¥200 budget

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Clarste posted:

Mahjong is just Chinese Poker. I mean, the exact rules aren't all that similar, but it's a 4 player card game that's mostly associated with gambling.
you can gamble with anything

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Agronox posted:

After watching five eps of Kemono Friends I can safely say that the show has a lot of heart and a ¥200 budget

And an awesome OP.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

Imagine I posted the knife emoji at you.

please do not send me into the mononokean for my joke squark-sama

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Agronox posted:

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

preemptive empty quote for when I watch this show

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

homeless snail posted:

you can gamble with anything

You can, but not everything is associated with gambling. Like, some people will wonder out loud why the hell anyone would play mahjong without money on the line. Mahjong parlors are primarily for gambling. Recreational mahjong certainly exists, but the game is at least 80% gambling. Even when my grandmother plays mahjong with her friends, they gamble on it.

Edit: Just like Poker, the rules include ways to up the stakes and whatnot. While you could compete for tokens or abstract points, it's clearly intended to be money on the line.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 23, 2017

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm not sure the phrase "weirdly compelling" has ever in my life been more appropriate than it is for Kemono Friends.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the ED is also good

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oh yeah also Katanagatari Episode 6 in about half an hour!

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Clarste posted:

Like, some people will wonder out loud why the hell anyone would play mahjong without money on the line.

Yeah I've gotten this reaction before, mostly older dudes who felt it was necessary to justify doing anything but work.

dogsicle posted:

the ED is also good

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Clarste posted:

You can, but not everything is associated with gambling. Like, some people will wonder out loud why the hell anyone would play mahjong without money on the line. Mahjong parlors are primarily for gambling. Recreational mahjong certainly exists, but the game is at least 80% gambling. Even when my grandmother plays mahjong with her friends, they gamble on it.

It sounds interesting. What kind of money do the grandmas put up? Basically nothing or serious cash?

How do the parlors make money? Do they sell refreshments or is there a seat fee or something...?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Agronox posted:

It sounds interesting. What kind of money do the grandmas put up? Basically nothing or serious cash?

How do the parlors make money? Do they sell refreshments or is there a seat fee or something...?

They mug you on the way out.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Agronox posted:

She won like a thousand dollars from her other grandma friends last time I asked her about it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

does your grandma play *gulp* american mahjong?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

homeless snail posted:

does your grandma play *gulp*

whoa unnecessary

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

but yes she does

too often imo

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Agronox posted:

I don't really know how it works in Chinese cultures, but in Japan it's almost only men who play and they tend to bet a few tens to a few hundreds of dollars*, though I'm sure there are higher rollers too.

Parlors usually charge a fee for X hours at the table (a few bux an hour), plus selling drinks and stuff yeah.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Neat, thanks all. Sounds like a nice way to kill some time.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

homeless snail posted:

Probably not? She grew up in a close-knit Chinese immigrant community, so I assume they play the version that was popular in China in the early 20th century.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

good. american mahjong seems incredibly bad

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

homeless snail posted:

good. american mahjong seems incredibly bad

it's

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

american mahjong aka solitaire

e: my dad plays it all the time lol

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

We live.

Edit: Nevermind, video encoding was hosed. :smith:

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 23, 2017

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

dogsicle posted:

no, I mean the one that old jewish ladies play where a winning hand could be spelling out the current year in tiles, and also you have to yell mahjong when you win like its uno

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

dogsicle posted:

e: my dad plays it all the time lol

This one or this one?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

What's the word for awesome again? Tsugoi? Because those are Tsugoi.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

homeless snail posted:

mine does...........

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

homeless snail posted:

no, I mean the one that old jewish ladies play where a winning hand could be spelling out the current year in tiles, and also you have to yell mahjong when you win like its uno

sounds like you met my grandmother

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Dryzen posted:

mine does...........
:whitewater:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the latter, because i assumed that was how badly we hosed up mahjong. but i guess it's actually closer to something like rummikub, which is still a game my dad and his side of the family plays a lot.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I can't find a clip of jackie chan's mom playing mahjong in drunken master 2, but she's a cool mahjong woman

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Anyway, the point is that it's not a respectable game for intellectuals like chess or shogi or go. It's a game for badass old people to play in smoke-filled rooms for high stakes.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

its also a game for anime nerds to play because of the vast amount of video games where if you play mahjong really well an anime lady will take her clothes off

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I assume. I only play family friendly CERO A rated mahjong games like the saki one on psp, and gundam mahjong

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

homeless snail posted:

I assume. I only play family friendly CERO A rated mahjong games like the saki one on psp, and gundam mahjong

Everything I know about Mahjong I know from Saki. Just draw a tile and shout, "Kong!" a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I played that game that got linked when that one dude who knew all about it made big how to mahjong posts and never did figure out what I was doing except losing all the time but it was enough I can sort of follow along to read manga about it now

• Locked thread