Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I mean that's what they've been doing for 40 years already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

Yes, let's turn to the republicans for strategy. Let's just make it so people we don't like can't vote, redistrict things so it's impossible to lose certain seats, just make poo poo up and do everything in our power to make people think their vote will do nothing and that they should just stay home.

Also I don't think anyone here is saying that the left should adopt right wing policies or do everything they can to not upset people.

I mean, we could use a Tea Party style movement of the left to primary the poo poo out of some of the weak-rear end democrats we have right now.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lurdiak posted:

I also think Robocop is cool.

Everybody thinks Robocop is cool.

K. Waste posted:

The thing is, empirically, U.S. politics is strategized around alienating larges swathes of people - in fact, the majority - from democratic participation. That isn't the intended strategy, but intent is not the same thing as meaning.

Yup. Either by denying the franchise, actively discouraging voting, or "triangulating" so that politics remains the sole domain of managers and has no relation to anyone's everyday life.

As we're seeing now, when an issue does come up that actually affects people, like the idea of completely repealing the ACA, suddenly no one is talking about a fine at the end of the year (which people have turned out to not really care about) or absurd crap like death panels. They're talking about how it's good to have public healthcare, and at the very least, you need to strengthen and improve that system because they're not fooled by the "free choice" rhetoric. That's what we had before and it was even worse than the incredibly flawed system we have now. Even the people mouthing the party line about repeal and replace are ducking the issue because I'm not too sure they even know why they have that stance. It's not a team sport anymore, it's getting pretty real nowadays.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 22, 2017

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I mean, we could use a Tea Party style movement of the left to primary the poo poo out of some of the weak-rear end democrats we have right now.

This is what I meant. There's always thinkpiece articles about how the Dems need to appeal to moderate republicans, but that's pointless. You aren't going to get many, if any, republicans to switch over but you will alienate a ton of people on the left.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
im watching a town hall meeting on facebook and it's being recorded vertically and its annoying me

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Winning a primary in the modern US requires so few votes that entryism is a viable option.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

DeimosRising posted:

Winning a primary in the modern US requires so few votes that entryism is a viable option.

if goon projects weren't such a joke we'd probably actually be able to get goon reps into office

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
Is there an action equivalent of They Shoot Pictures/They Shoot Zombies/They Shoot Dark Pictures?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I want a scifi equivalent

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

Look at almost any career politician at a local level. They're almost always people who were just bored one day. There's nothing special about any of them.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Is there an action equivalent of They Shoot Pictures/They Shoot Zombies/They Shoot Dark Pictures?

They Shoot Bad Guys, Don't They?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Look at almost any career politician at a local level. They're almost always people who were just bored one day. There's nothing special about any of them.

a goon in DnD won some position because he applied for it. our govt is pretty lol

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MacheteZombie posted:

a goon in DnD won some position because he applied for it. our govt is pretty lol

It's why you always see poo poo about butchers doubling up as county coroners and popular dogs being elected mayor.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Literal communist infiltration of the Republican party would be pretty funny.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
How about simply giving the left someone and something to rally behind that isn't a constant response to what the other side is doing.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's why you always see poo poo about butchers doubling up as county coroners and popular dogs being elected mayor.
To be honest, I think a popular dog would be a better president than Donald Trump.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

How about simply giving the left someone and something to rally behind that isn't a constant response to what the other side is doing.

That's pretty much what Obama campaigned as, and shocker of shockers, he inspired a ton of people to go out and vote.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Magic Hate Ball posted:

They Shoot Black Hats, Don't They?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Such a thing could never be done in fact I think it's illegal to consider that.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Dissapointed Owl posted:

nah man when they go low we go high, we got this

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Local news is funny, the local rich construction magnate got kicked off the school board because he plagiarized a graduation speech. Well, technically he was asked to resign 3-1, refused, & then got ousted. Meanwhile the non-local rich construction magnate plagiarizes speeches and, well, went pretty well for him didn't it.

E: the first time he ran for school board he lost to the 18 year old mayor we had at the time

Hat Thoughts fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 23, 2017

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Hat Thoughts posted:

E: the first time he ran for school board he lost to the 18 year old mayor we had at the time
That must have been before the Ice Town debacle.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2Cg8ecOmRY

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Planet Earth 2 is loving sweet

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I don't mean this at all as a bust on Temple of Doom, but if I ever got access to a time machine, I absolutely would want to go back and see people's reactions on opening night when they sat down, ready for Raiders 2, and were greeted with a Golden Age-style hollywood dance number right out of the gate

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

also, I forgot that Indy punches a waitress for literally no reason in the first 10 minutes

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Temple of Doom is the best Indiana Jones movie by a gigantic margin.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
It's definitely better than the third one which smokes huge turds.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FishBulb posted:

It's definitely better than the third one which smokes huge turds.

Slow. Your. Roll.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

hey wtf is wrong with smoking turds?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Willie Scott Gets Menaced By The Cast Of The Jungle Book is simultaneously the best and worst thing in the movie

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

420 smoke turds everyday

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Can't spell 420 without the number 2

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

hey wtf is wrong with smoking turds?

Don't bogart that jankem

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

LEGALIZE poo poo

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I guess I'll be the first gen chat person to say it: Hacksaw Ridge is REALLY loving good. Even Sam Worthington is good in it. Sam Worthington!

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Let me tell you some serious opinions about jokes man news....

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I was working on a story at the end of the Bush years that was basically a return of American Revolutionary types, but then the Tea Party showed up and ruined that.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Temple of Doom is the best Indiana Jones movie by a gigantic margin.

Raiders of the Lost Ark is still an incredibly solid movie.

But, yes, Temple of Doom is the best. At least my personal favorite.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Slugworth posted:

I just like to listen to Noah speak. Like, I want him to voice my GPS. I'd get an iPhone if he replaced Siri.

get his audiobook right now. It's about growing up in during- and eventually post-apartheid South Africa as a mixed race kid, and hearing him speak about 7 different languages is really impressive and the stories he tells range from hilarious to loving horrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I guess I'll be the first gen chat person to say it: Hacksaw Ridge is REALLY loving good. Even Sam Worthington is good in it. Sam Worthington!

I have a bunch of other turds to smoke before i get to Hacksaw, but i will say that it just moved up in the queue

• Locked thread