Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Moridin920 posted:

Stuff that gives them marketable skills for when they are released, stuff that is for the maintenance of the prison.

Like I have no issue with prisoners working in the kitchen, being janitorial staff, fixing minor plumbing/electrical problems (everyone should know how to change out a wall socket at least), masonry work to maintain/improve prison facilities, stuff like that.

Basically nothing that can be sold as labor to an outside company. Prisoners should not be making uniforms for <$1/hr for example. Did you know that the tilapia at Whole Foods sold for like $10-12/lb is raised by prisoners being paid like $0.75 an hour? That's hosed up imo.

McDonald's gets a lot of its stuff like uniforms + cutlery from prison labor. Victoria's Secret gets clothing sewn for them. The list goes on and on.

edit: you are handwringing about them doing manual labor while others are not doing manual labor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fog Tripper posted:

Are you suggesting that they do not have prisoners doing such tasks already, or are you just doing yet more handwringing about something that really isn't much of a thing?

No, I'm answering your question of what kind of prison labor work I find acceptable versus what I don't.

Idk how you can state that prison labor "isn't much of a thing" but alright I guess.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Moridin920 posted:

No, I'm answering your question of what kind of prison labor work I find acceptable versus what I don't.

Idk how you can state that prison labor "isn't much of a thing" but alright I guess.

You know the best way to avoid hard labor in prison?
Do not do things that lands people in prison

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fog Tripper posted:

Okay well then I just point you back a couple pages to where we discussed our drug policy and how it seems to be more about sticking minorities in prisons versus actually doing something about drugs.

The point, regardless, is not whether we should feel bad about inmates but the fact that companies are allowed to exploit cheap labor when they could be hiring American workers instead.

Why is my tax money going to house an inmate while AT&T uses them as a call center employee for $2/day?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Moridin920 posted:

Okay well then I just point you back a couple pages to where we discussed our drug policy and how it seems to be more about sticking minorities in prisons versus actually doing something about drugs.

I am all for legalizing all drugs, make them federally regulated and distributed, and heavily taxed.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Fog Tripper posted:

I am all for legalizing all drugs, make them federally regulated and distributed, and heavily taxed.

lol you are a lost dog

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fog Tripper posted:

Would be a lot better than what we're doing now for sure.

I don't have a problem with prison labor in theory. I just have a problem with the specific way our prison system works in this country. Otherwise I'm all for people getting job skills and building up some savings for when they are released.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

fyodor posted:

lol you are a lost dog

christ sake, have you ever made a decent post in your life you loving scrub?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Fog Tripper posted:

Worth remembering that we have more people in prison than china, an authoritarian police state. It's almost like...we have a hosed up system that focuses on rewarding private prisons more than society as a whole!

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

really queer Christmas posted:

Worth remembering that we have more people in prison than china, an authoritarian police state. It's almost like...we have a hosed up system that focuses on rewarding private prisons more than society as a whole!

Or maybe we have better police and judicial systems. Or maybe we need to execute more people like China:

China is the world's top executioner, but it doesn't want you to know that
http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/06/asia/china-death-penalty/

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JB50 posted:

Or maybe we have better police and judicial systems.

Haha that made me chuckle

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

JB50 posted:

Or maybe we have better police and judicial systems. Or maybe we need to execute more people like China:

lol

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

JB50 posted:

Going to be controversial here and say we should not emulate china, an authoritarian police state, in how they run their judicial system. Crazy, I know.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

Haha that made me chuckle

Wait, do you really think China is better?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Worth remembering that we have more people in prison than china, an authoritarian police state.

Going to be controversial here and say we should not emulate china, an authoritarian police state, in how they run their judicial system. Crazy, I know.

Which is it, be more like china or not like china?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Fog Tripper posted:

christ sake, have you ever made a decent post in your life you loving scrub?

lol :allears:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JB50 posted:

Wait, do you really think China is better?

No, it's not. The funny bit for me was the thought of maybe we have the highest incarceration rates in the world because our justice/legal system is just that good.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Fog Tripper posted:

Which is it, be more like china or not like china?

Both of those statements are me saying that things should not be worse here than china. I said we have more people than china, that doesn't mean I'm saying "hooray that we have so many people in prison in this free land of ours!! USA USA!!"

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

No, it's not. The funny bit for me was the thought of maybe we have the highest incarceration rates in the world because our justice/legal system is just that good.

It cause were so racist isnt it?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JB50 posted:

It cause were so racist isnt it?

Ultimately I think it is more about access to cheap labor which results in racism because people need to justify their actions to themselves.

It's not a coincidence that bullshit laws disproportionately targeting poor disenfranchised minorities have been rampant since the end of the civil war, though. That cotton has to get picked somehow...

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Moridin920 posted:

Ultimately I think it is more about access to cheap labor which results in racism because people need to justify their actions to themselves.

It's not a coincidence that bullshit laws disproportionately targeting poor disenfranchised minorities have been rampant since the end of the civil war, though. That cotton has to get picked somehow...

Dis-proportionally targeting? Incarceration-rates aside, do you imagine laws are actually targeting a specific race? Which laws might those be?

Also you keep trolling the racism angle, but do you have any evidence whatsoever of the demographics of those doing the cotton picking?

KwegiboHB
Feb 2, 2004

nonconformist art brut
Negative prompt: amenable, compliant, docile, law-abiding, lawful, legal, legitimate, obedient, orderly, submissive, tractable
Steps: 32, Sampler: DPM++ 2M Karras, CFG scale: 11, Seed: 520244594, Size: 512x512, Model hash: 99fd5c4b6f, Model: seekArtMEGA_mega20

Fog Tripper posted:

Dis-proportionally targeting? Incarceration-rates aside, do you imagine laws are actually targeting a specific race? Which laws might those be?

Also you keep trolling the racism angle, but do you have any evidence whatsoever of the demographics of those doing the cotton picking?

Exactly how many conversations are you trying to have at one time here?

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
USA has the highest incarceration rate in the world. Once again USA is #1.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

No one here actually gives a poo poo about oppressed groups.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Fog Tripper posted:

The sentence for regular powdered cocaine and the sentence for crack cocaine were different when the sentences were first set. The sentence for crack cocaine was significantly higher.

Powdered cocaine is primarily used by better-off whites, whereas crack cocaine was primarily used by the inner-city poor (read: poorer black people) because you could get more of it for cheaper compared to the regular version. And the people making the sentencing guidelines knew it.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Tallgeese posted:

The sentence for regular powdered cocaine and the sentence for crack cocaine were different when the sentences were first set. The sentence for crack cocaine was significantly higher.

Powdered cocaine is primarily used by better-off whites, whereas crack cocaine was primarily used by the inner-city poor (read: poorer black people) because you could get more of it for cheaper compared to the regular version. And the people making the sentencing guidelines knew it.

Yah Bill Clinton passed it... It's her Turn! Why didn't the black community come out and vote?

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Can someone explain the economics of crack cocaine to me? Why does adding another step in the production process result in a cheaper product? Is it just that the come-up from smoked cocaine is potent enough that you can get away with more adulteration?

Tallgeese said "you can get more for cheaper," but how could that possibly be true? Wouldn't $X of crack necessarily contain less actual cocaine than $X of powder?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Zorodius posted:

Can someone explain the economics of crack cocaine to me? Why does adding another step in the production process result in a cheaper product? Is it just that the come-up from smoked cocaine is potent enough that you can get away with more adulteration?

Tallgeese said "you can get more for cheaper," but how could that possibly be true? Wouldn't $X of crack necessarily contain less actual cocaine than $X of powder?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mDBq-OU1rHo

You can sell more finished product with less of the active ingredient.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Zorodius posted:

Right, but you can smoke crack cocaine for a faster high, and you can get away with putting more crap in it (heck, it's cocaine mixed with a base to begin with).

You can't smoke powdered cocaine, to get the same kind of high as crack you have to inject it.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 23, 2017

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
It's like buying a can of coca-cola vs buying a bag of sugar and making your own 2 liter of soda

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...

BUY IT.

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

It's like buying a can of coca-cola vs buying a bag of sugar and making your own 2 liter of soda

that's a good description

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
cocaine was first federally regulated in the early 20th century, and crack wasn't really a thing until 1981 or so, before popularizing in the inner city "crack epidemic" beginning in 1984-85

the first law increasing the penalties specifically for crack (as well as introducing mandatory minimum sentences for drugs generally [ted kennedy's idea]) was the anti-drug abuse act of 1986 (the "len bias" law), passed following the cocaine overdose of university of maryland basketball star, len bias- considered by some to be the greatest basketball player to never go pro. the 1986 law was followed by amendments in 1988 further enhancing penalties for crack, while increasing treatment and sending foreign aid and some other stuff. both bills were practically passed by acclaim in both houses of congress (divided control- rep sen, dem house) and signed by reagan.

the black community was clamoring for these laws, btw- rep. charles rangel, a recently retired co-founder of the congressional black caucus, was called "The Front-Line General In the War On Drugs" by ebony magazine in 1988.

this is probably the best link: http://prisontime.org/2013/08/12/timeline-black-support-for-the-war-on-drugs/

crack gets you higher, faster. it's basically a more efficient delivery system for the drug. it was "invented" at a time of glut in the cocaine market and initially had a much higher purity than street powder.

e: 1988 law was "len bias", not 1986

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

Nut to Butt posted:

crack gets you higher, faster. it's basically a more efficient delivery system for the drug. it was "invented" at a time of glut in the cocaine market and initially had a much higher purity than street powder.

So why isn't crack the standard for rich white people? Is the quick onset outweighed by the shorter effect, or is it just that the trashy reputation matters more than a stronger product?

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

china is much much worse both wrt justice and racism dude, your brain is broken

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Zorodius posted:

So why isn't crack the standard for rich white people? Is the quick onset outweighed by the shorter effect, or is it just that the trashy reputation matters more than a stronger product?

both. plus it's insanely addictive, and rich people have historically liked snorting drugs

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Zorodius posted:

Cuz dude rich white people don't just sit in a room smoking crack (well they do but...) they get a bag of coke and then go out and party at the hot nightclubs and share and get their dicks sucked by coked out models while literally destroying America

Like coke is a party drug and a status symbol and a social drug but crack is like "ZONK" plus you can do a little coke here and there just to keep you going through the day while making those deals that inevitably payoff with more coke and more dick sucks

Spunky Psycho Ho fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 23, 2017

sexpot
Nov 12, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Cuz dude rich white people don't just sit in a room smoking crack (well they do but...) they get a bag of coke and then go out and party at the hot nightclubs and share and get their dicks sucked by coked out models while literally destroying America

And did you vote for this man or is he just your spirit animal or w/e

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
Trump should legalize cocaine for anyone making over 250,000 a year

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

sexpot posted:

And did you vote for this man or is he just your spirit animal or w/e
the youtube flavour of alt-right frog man will generally never directly admit support for trump; they instead prefer to run the strategic anti-clinton, anti-liberal angle, and will cling to said line for dear life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i voted for donald j trump, and yes to the spirit animal question

• Locked thread