Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

zegermans posted:

hi guys I'm home

im already out of beer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

zegermans posted:

hi guys I'm home

Welcome home, meatloaf for dinner. You'll eat it and like it

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Agrajag posted:

yes but which version. my only experience is the loving disney movie

books don't come in "versions"

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

lmao

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

GobiasIndustries posted:

Welcome home, meatloaf for dinner. You'll eat it and like it

i would actually eat meatloaf prepared by the white house kitchen, i bet that poo poo kicks rear end

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Meatloaf is hard to get wrong

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Addamere posted:

i just listened to "i'm almost 8, but i'm 7" toby

goddamn

that kid for dnc chair please

I wish cotton hadn't run away at that point cause I'm pretty confident a seven year old could outsmart him

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

zegermans posted:

Meatloaf is hard to get wrong

except for when it has MEAT in it!!! vegans for life!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Agrajag posted:

yes but which version. my only experience is the loving disney movie

Haven't read it myself but this one maybe?

https://www.amazon.com/Peter-Collin...=peter+pan+book

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Kansas officials just voted to sustain the gov's veto of the bill which was supposed to raise back the taxes.

:frog:

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Remember when all thought Pence would be the puppetmaster, except it turns out Pence is dumber than Scott Walker

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Scent of Worf posted:

Kansas officials just voted to sustain the gov's veto of the bill which was supposed to raise back the taxes.

So taxes stay down and Kansas becomes the first failed state?

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

zegermans posted:

Remember when all thought Pence would be the puppetmaster, except it turns out Pence is dumber than Scott Walker

the fact that he accepted the job as trumps vp shouldve been the first clue about how dumb mike pence is

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

let's all be optimistic and assume that this will be trump's legacy, and he will be the igniter of a liberal wave the likes of which has never been seen before!!

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Something something black men can't jump either fourteen eighty eight dot jaypeg

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Epic High Five posted:

So taxes stay down and Kansas becomes the first failed state?

now they just need to also pass an amendment to their constitution that requires their budget be balanced every year and then they too can have roads that wash away every winter and again every spring just like west virginia

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Been tellin y'all since day 1 that Pence is dumb as hell and equally sinister

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

completely unrealistic

that's not his daughter

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Scent of Worf posted:

I thought they overrode the veto?

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
thread convinced me to put altered carbon on my tablet, might read it after perido street station the quantum thief and rediscovery of man

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Al! posted:

completely unrealistic

that's not his daughter

Melania isn't even at the white house

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Squizzle posted:

I disagree, though among fans of the first book, I'm in the minority for that. The only bland one is Children, which suffers for being separated from the more interesting and thematically-coherent Messiah. (They were conceived early as one book. Their separation is why Messiah is so short.) The first novel benefits from being written at least twice; Herbert published it first as a serial. The demands of the serial format restrained Herbert's tendency to wander on about a single theme overlong, and forced him to build real points of tension regularly into the narrative. The later books lack that, and they're weaker for it.

The first book has the weakest prose of the series, though. It's written like Dick & Jane Experiment with Psychotropic Drugs to Build a Militant Theocratic Insurgency. As the series moves forward, Herbert grows in basic compositional skill. By God-Emperor, Herbert no longer presents a jarring mismatch of amateur prose and sophisticated ideas. That's also the only other one of the series written twice: Herbert wrote a first-person journal by Leto II before writing the novel in its published form. For my money, God-Emperor has the best balance of qualities. A whole lot of people seem to hate it, though.

After God-Emperor, Herbert's wife is dying and he needs to rattle off novels as fast as he can, to pay her medical bills. While he (unbelievably) still has new, interesting ideas to narrate, he just doesn't get to refine the presentation at all. If you like the Flash and his struggles against the cat-people who enslave the galaxy with loving, rock on.

Even the weakest of the original Dune series is worth reading at least once, as part of a full read through the series. Don't read any of the sequel's "written" by Kevin Anderson and Herbert's kid, though.

gently caress God Emporer, after that I decided I was done with Dune. Waaaay to much rambling on in that book, that's when the series about giant worms, witch cults and space muslims went off the rails for me.

I mean...sir, we stop serving breakfast at 11 AM here.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Internet Webguy posted:

the fact that he accepted the job as trumps vp shouldve been the first clue about how dumb mike pence is

Maybe he fully expect trump to resign or be impeached or die in office?

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

zegermans posted:

Not my joke, but Pence is campaigning for the 25th Amendment

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

i'll live on the green one the rest of you can live on the one that looks like pee

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

oh my god bill maher did end up taking credit

who predicted that

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/22/arts/television/bill-maher-milo-yiannopoulos-interview.html

gently caress you bill maher

slippery doc
Jan 17, 2006

kill the boy,
save the man

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Al! posted:

completely unrealistic

that's not his daughter

why do you think he needs another rally

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Trash Trick posted:

let's all be optimistic and assume that this will be trump's legacy, and he will be the igniter of a liberal wave the likes of which has never been seen before!!

huh, never seen a "nuclear shock wave" called a liberal wave before.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Grondoth posted:

Melania isn't even at the white house

when i have some time i want to do a thread "the first lady" thats just a pictorial of how far he keeps his wife, physically, and how close he keeps his daughter

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/834588532752605185

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

that guy owns

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

extremely cool

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

bystander: gently caress yes

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Ron Jeremy posted:

Something something black men can't jump either fourteen eighty eight dot jaypeg

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/834582308522967040

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hm1ekNY9Ws

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Ron Jeremy posted:

:chloe:

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Grondoth posted:

I thought they overrode the veto?

The override failed

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...heir-own-party/

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
God Emperor of Dune is actually extremely good