Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Junk posted:

Murphy, you are a elf... uncontrollably, I think.

i am tired about these jokes about my giant hand

the first such incident occurred in 1956 when..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

yet another incident of "this joke was done much better in the old days"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Imao season 27

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

the air is fresh, there's plenty of parking, plenty of space to walk around

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I don't get it. Is Bort a common name in America?

This is the funniest thing The Simpsons has produced since Old Man Yells at Cloud lmao

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
watched the armin tanzerian episode yesterday and one thing that stood out beyond the obvious was how mean spirited and weird sending the real skinner off, tied to a chair on a train car, was

I mean that whole episode was dumb [though this thread has helped me kind of "get it" better I guess, I still hate it] but that seemed weird

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

"the principal and the pauper" gets all the ire among fans because it was the first episode of season 9 that felt off. the Lord of the Flies episode was worse, and if any number of those not-as-good episodes were in the place of that one, it would be the one fans point to as the downfall

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

tbh, and just imo, I feel like the ongoing popularity of the Simpsons is largely because of Europe.

They loving eat that poo poo up. I swear it has to be one of the most watched shows in most European countries. I don't know if it's a cultural thing or "lol those dumb Americans," or what.

But oh god the dubbing, especially German

Krauts also love two and a half men and the big bang theory

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Junk posted:

Murphy, you are a elf... uncontrollably, I think.

Think unsexy thoughts, think unsexy thoughts!

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Code Jockey posted:

watched the armin tanzerian episode yesterday and one thing that stood out beyond the obvious was how mean spirited and weird sending the real skinner off, tied to a chair on a train car, was

I mean that whole episode was dumb [though this thread has helped me kind of "get it" better I guess, I still hate it] but that seemed weird

IIRC the whole point of the episode is to address people whining about the lack of continuity in the shows universe so the whole thing is meant to be tongue in cheek.

Also, I tried watching an episode with commentary (Homer Goes to College) and remembered why I don't really care for it because it's boring. However, one part Homer is all wall-eyed and Matt Groening mentioned how he's biting his tongue and one of the other guys mentioned how much he disliked when that happened since it was an inconsistency from the Korean animators. That took my by surprise because those were always what made the show so endearing

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

54 40 or gently caress posted:

IIRC the whole point of the episode is to address people whining about the lack of continuity in the shows universe so the whole thing is meant to be tongue in cheek.

Also, I tried watching an episode with commentary (Homer Goes to College) and remembered why I don't really care for it because it's boring. However, one part Homer is all wall-eyed and Matt Groening mentioned how he's biting his tongue and one of the other guys mentioned how much he disliked when that happened since it was an inconsistency from the Korean animators. That took my by surprise because those were always what made the show so endearing

I remember quite a lot of the Futurama commentary tracks being quite good. I think one of them had Billy West and John DiMaggio doing duelling professors, also Billy West doing an entire commentary as Zoidberg and in the Spanish Fry constantly talking about how this was the episode about Fry's "Woohoo".

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I think I've listened to most of the commentaries for the classic seasons, and some of them are great and fun, and you really get a sense of how much they cared about the show back then. I can't imagine they would have anything interesting to say about any modern episode.

get that OUT of my face posted:

"the principal and the pauper" gets all the ire among fans because it was the first episode of season 9 that felt off. the Lord of the Flies episode was worse, and if any number of those not-as-good episodes were in the place of that one, it would be the one fans point to as the downfall

It was actually only the second episode of season 9, the first being the New York City episode, and both were actually holdovers from season 8. It's just a weird episode itself and everything immediately following it was different in tone and style.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

tbh, and just imo, I feel like the ongoing popularity of the Simpsons is largely because of Europe.

They loving eat that poo poo up. I swear it has to be one of the most watched shows in most European countries. I don't know if it's a cultural thing or "lol those dumb Americans," or what.

But oh god the dubbing, especially German

Europeans are overwhelmingly mentally ill.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I think I've listened to most of the commentaries for the classic seasons, and some of them are great and fun, and you really get a sense of how much they cared about the show back then. I can't imagine they would have anything interesting to say about any modern episode.

It was actually only the second episode of season 9, the first being the New York City episode, and both were actually holdovers from season 8. It's just a weird episode itself and everything immediately following it was different in tone and style.

Simpson Tide is also a holdover from an earlier season, which is weird because a lot of the random humor seems more in keeping with Season 10+.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I own seasons 1-11 and enjoy them all, but the best are the ones in the middle

Season 12 was the first one that was hard to watch (more than 50% bad) and the first we didn't bother recording on VHS.

The Blunder Years in Season 13 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Simpsons_(season_13) had too much of the gruesome stuff that had become more commonplace- the worm crawling out of Smithers' dad's corpse's nose, his death in the reactor and Burns' callous disposal of him was not great. And inspiring not just Smithers' homosexuality- but his misogyny- by saying his father was killed by a pack of tribal Amazons. Again, not amusing.

I didn't make it past the first act for Brawl in the Family, and while I watched most of the others I can say it was, along with Season 12, where cynical was replaced with mean to the detriment of the warmth the show had.

In the past the show often had some subtle, yet provocative political statements, but S12-13 also marked the turn to a very overt Hollywood-fashionable liberal bent contemporary with the Iraq War, leading to some hamhanded and dated commentary. As far as I know they never depicted George HW Bush as President whereas Clinton was constant fodder, so it was a weird mix of harping on the administration while simultaneously it didn't exist in the Simpsons universe whereas Clinton, Reagan, Bush I, Carter, Ford, Nixon, and even Kennedy were all animated and voiced in the series to that point, very little of it dated, almost all of it funny.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

get that OUT of my face posted:

At least Das Bus had some classic lines. "They have the internet on computers now," "Go banana," and "tastes like burning" are all top-notch.

I don't remember the order they were aired, but I remember Principal and the Pauper and Lisa the Skeptic were the ones that hit me as being noticeably worse than the episodes I would watch in syndication.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I'll take the off-the-wall episodes like Das Bus any day over the dud sentimentality of Lisa the Skeptic.

I always kind of liked Das Bus.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

You Are A Elf posted:

so does anyone else think homer actually got with mindy, but he was just imagining it's marge to get through guilt etc? that's how, watching it, it initially seemed to me anyway

maybe I missed something though

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

alpaca diseases posted:

so does anyone else think homer actually got with mindy, but he was just imagining it's marge to get through guilt etc? that's how, watching it, it initially seemed to me anyway

maybe I missed something though

Isn't "marge" dressed just like Mindy at the end?

Homer's a Bad Man.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah I like Das Bus.
Is "They were saved by... oh let's say, Moe" subversive humour or some kind of turning point signifying the death of the Simpsons? Because I just thought it was funny.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

You Are A Elf posted:

Hey Homer, you're hallucinatin' again! Not a good sign...

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

sout posted:

Yeah I like Das Bus.
Is "They were saved by... oh let's say, Moe" subversive humour or some kind of turning point signifying the death of the Simpsons? Because I just thought it was funny.

I guess it seemed to a lot of people that they just threw their hands up in the air rather than give it an actual ending.

But it did make me chuckle the first time I saw it.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I specifically remember the morning after Das Bus aired, everyone in science class was talking about how funny it was. So at least back then, in a typical suburban school, it was thought highly of.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Nolan Arenado posted:

I specifically remember the morning after Das Bus aired, everyone in science class was talking about how funny it was. So at least back then, in a typical suburban school, it was thought highly of.
If for nothing else it was worth it for "I'm so hungry I could eat at Arby's"

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

sout posted:

Yeah I like Das Bus.

It's a reference to the book Lord of the Flies where the kids get saved randomly at the end.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
edit: Wrong thread, i r smart.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
I saw the rapper takes the poweplant one last night, so bad, im mad at rza for going near it

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.
das bus is all right, quit bad mouthing das bus

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Nonviolent J posted:

I saw the rapper takes the poweplant one last night, so bad, im mad at rza for going near it

this reminded me of the episode where bart sneaks out to a rap concert and enters a battle, oh my god that one is painful, painful

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Code Jockey posted:

this reminded me of the episode where bart sneaks out to a rap concert and enters a battle, oh my god that one is painful, painful

What do you mean? That is totally in character for rap-loving Bart, who idolizes 50 Cent.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nonviolent J posted:

Are there any examples of a celebrity being brought in for a Simpsons episode, seeing how dumb the script is or how retardedly they're used and refusing to do it?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Oops

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

Are there any examples of a celebrity being brought in for a Simpsons episode, seeing how dumb the script is or how retardedly they're used and refusing to do it?
i doubt it. too much money and vanity involved

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

What do you mean? That is totally in character for rap-loving Bart, who idolizes Vanilla Ice.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Drink-Mix Man posted:

What do you mean? That is totally in character for rap-loving Bart, who idolizes Kool Moe Dee

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Speaking of incredibly dumb episodes about Bart and music, I read about a newer episode where Bart finds out he has a secret talent for jazz. Which he uses to torment Lisa endlessly for the entire episode, because of course why not?

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Aesop Poprock posted:

Apparently Harvey Firestein got offered a chance to return as Karl as part of the episode where homer shacks up with a couple of gay caricatures, but he rightly felt pretty put off over the whole premise.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

NiceGuy posted:

Apparently Harvey Firestein got offered a chance to return as Karl as part of the episode where homer shacks up with a couple of gay caricatures, but he rightly felt pretty put off over the whole premise.

Why do I suspect his whole involvement would have been:

Homer: Karl, my old executive assistant? What are you doing here?
Karl: [Embarassingly lame gag]

Fin.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
Didn't Prince or someone else turn down an appearance because he wrote his own script based around his appearance and the Simpsons people weren't having any of it?

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

motherfuckers I'd have killed to see a (classic) episode of the simpsons with a script written by Prince

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Dylan McKay posted:

das bus is all right, quit bad mouthing das bus

Das Bus is a lovely retelling of Lord of the Flies using Simpson children, a book with almost no comedy to being with.