Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Skippy Granola posted:

Ok ok, Alberta is kind of trash.

But... where else can I go? :ohdear:

Well, maybe we could create a canadian "where should i live" quiz.

Are you opposed to paying $800/month to live in a bathtub? Maybe vancouver!
Would you be okay with a week of -40*c? how about saskatoon!
Are you white? why not winnipeg!
Can you survive without a local job and shovel 16 feet of snow every winter? halifax is calling!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

infernal machines posted:

Is communal dining fundamentally incompatible with Canadian Values™?

Are you familiar with vancouverites? This is not some hippy collective. It's hipster central (near) Main st. You are dealing with some real stupid assholes. To boot this dining experience has all the joy of eating in a crowded convention hall off of paper plates, and you get to hunt down your own seats as well, and if you thought people wouldn't try to reserve whole tables with various items of clothing, think again.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Skippy Granola posted:

Ok ok, Alberta is kind of trash.

But... where else can I go? :ohdear:

Ontari-ari-ari-ooooooo

JawKnee posted:

Are you familiar with vancouverites? This is not some hippy collective. It's hipster central (near) Main st. You are dealing with some real stupid assholes. To boot this dining experience has all the joy of eating in a crowded convention hall off of paper plates, and you get to hunt down your own seats as well, and if you thought people wouldn't try to reserve whole tables with various items of clothing, think again.

CI, mostly, so point taken.

But we have this sort of thing in Toronto too, and it's fine generally.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

JawKnee posted:

and you get to hunt down your own seats as well

You sound a little high maintenance.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

coming from the rural that's a hoot

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
What is this whites gone wild take a pill gently caress face

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

You sound a little high maintenance.

You forget the plight of our suburban brethren, they just can't be free without their 2500sq. ft. homes on a 50 ft. lot, 12 minute drive to the nearest convenience store, and a private dining booth for their Big Mac and fries.

Can you imagine the indignity of having to sit in eye-line of a complete stranger to eat? Why not just hop in the breadline while you're at it?

Some of these places don't even have parking for Christ's sake.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Why can't a Ukrainian church build a proper dining room an aesthete could appreciate with weathered wooden walls and incandescent bulb lamps and loving feist at a volume so loud even the Valkyries fly away screaming

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
So much FYGM

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/homeless-parks-bc-parksville-abbotsford-maple-ridge-tent-city-1.3989376

Spending on housing by the province has halved over the last 20 years without inflation.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

gosh I guess If I don't like paying for the privilege of eating like I'm in high school again I'm suddenly living in the suburbs? (false) Or not okay with communal dining? (false)

It's pretty funny seeing CI tell me to chill out though, given your usual histrionics.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Bullied by BC housing

Is"bullied" the new rallying call for sjws to attack

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Gosh just shut the gently caress up retard

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

JawKnee posted:

gosh I guess If I don't like paying for the privilege of eating like I'm in high school again I'm suddenly living in the suburbs? (false) Or not okay with communal dining? (false)

It's pretty funny seeing CI tell me to chill out though, given your usual histrionics.

You should really take Canpol shittalking less seriously. I, personally, am just joshin' ya, and I suspect Ikantski is too.

namaste faggots posted:

CI however is deadly serious

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Protesting to evict a homeless person from living in a tent in a park in the winter should get your house filled with used syringes.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

namaste faggots posted:

make me, bitch

if you think chafing dish warmed perogies and kubasa are the good stuff you're an idiot

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

JawKnee posted:

make me, bitch

if you think chafing dish warmed perogies and kubasa are the good stuff you're an idiot

Honey. I think we have to leave this place, I just saw chafing dishes and can't even how triggered I am. We've been standing here for 15 minutes and nobody's come to seat us either, where's my yelp this church is going to rue the day.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The Ukrainian cultural centre in Victoria does this once a month and it's generally a huge line down the block to get in and wait in a massive line to eat in a big cafeteria setting. The food is ok but I don't know why people line up down the block for it. I also don't know why they don't do it twice a month or more if it's so popular.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

If I'm white can I go live in Nunavut?

M.McFly
Oct 23, 2008

cowofwar posted:

Protesting to evict a homeless person from living in a tent in a park in the winter should get your house filled with used syringes.

Dude, have you ever been to Parksville? They're doing the homeless a favour by kicking them out.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Lightning Lord posted:

If I'm white can I go live in Nunavut?

If you're a bear, probably.

I really don't think anybody should live in Nunavut, but whatever.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
gently caress it, just stay in Alberta and build a seething resentment towards every moron and rear end in a top hat you deal with on a regular basis and then bitch about it on the internet. It works for me!

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

PT6A posted:

gently caress it, just stay in Alberta and build a seething resentment towards every moron and rear end in a top hat you deal with on a regular basis and then bitch about it on the internet. It works for me!

We should hang out

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

The true face of declining canadian culture/values, IMO.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

The Ukrainian cultural centre in Victoria does this once a month and it's generally a huge line down the block to get in and wait in a massive line to eat in a big cafeteria setting. The food is ok but I don't know why people line up down the block for it. I also don't know why they don't do it twice a month or more if it's so popular.

Eating ok pierogies in a communal setting is a quintessential part of the Western Canadian experience.

Eating expensive pierogies in a downtown "pierogi bar" is a quintessential part of the West Coast tradition of hipsterizing ethnic foods. I like the expensive hipster pierogi bar.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There's a polish butcher shop here, who on top of all their amazing sausages makes sauerkraut perogis and blueberry perogies. so the sauerkraut ones fried with some horseradish mustard on top followed by the blueberry ones baked with a little maple syrup.

heaven.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Can someone actually articulate the difference between perogis and kreplach for me? Since my childhood I've never understood that.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kreplach is more pastaey, perogi is more doughey. russian pelmeni is closer to kreplach.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
You haven't lived until you've eaten Khinkali, IMO. Especially if it's in a drunken contest and you're plonking the tops down all macho like shots in that scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark. :3:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

perogis are actually called vareniki in Ukraine I don't know why they're called different things. We were at a monastery in Ukraine and they had a cafeteria with bottomless food for ridiculously cheap and they were asking why north americans always asked for pies. Perogi is pies, plural. They were really confused but updated their little english sign so north american visitors know what's what.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I've eaten church hall perogis from Avonlea to Biggar. I didn't realise they could elicit such a reaction.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
That looks a lot like xiu loong bao.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Sounds similar, they're both filled with soup.

I guess there's only so many ways you can fold a circle of dough around a ball of meat, broth and spices. :v:

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Im sure someone has to have written a thesis on why dumplings show up in so many cultures.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

namaste faggots posted:

I get perogies every first Friday at the Ukrainian church even though I have an irrational hatred of Catholics.

I'm tired of you all calling me a racist

That's actually a Ukrainian Orthodox Church. I don't know if that changes anything for you.

JawKnee posted:

that perogie dinner loving sucks

No it's pretty decent. The perogies are hand made by a bunch of nice grandmas. I don't know where you can really find much better in Vancouver.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Rime posted:

You haven't lived until you've eaten Khinkali, IMO. Especially if it's in a drunken contest and you're plonking the tops down all macho like shots in that scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark. :3:

Hey I've had these!

They suck!

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

The Duggler posted:

Hey I've had these!

They suck!

gently caress you, they are delicious. :colbert:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Duggler posted:

Hey I've had these!

They suck!

Xiaolongbao are delicious gently caress you

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

CLAM DOWN posted:

Xiaolongbao are delicious gently caress you

That ain't no soup dumpling man.

edit: uh apparently it is technically I guess lol, but it prob tastes a lot different from Xiaolongbao. There's no need to get all firefly about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4smab8KWX1w

The Butcher fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 23, 2017

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Also, uhh you attractive millenial types got any ideas about we should run on?

HAHA of course we are just joking, we got this poo poo on lock. Just being ironic, you know?

But yeah, seriously, what the gently caress do you want us to say? We are really loving scraping the bottom of the barrel here and it's getting down to the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://business.financialpost.com/news/the-tide-has-turned-against-them-b-c-lng-projects-stranded-amid-global-glut

quote:

‘The tide has turned against them’: B.C. LNG projects likely stranded beyond 2020 amid global glut

CALGARY — A new report suggests LNG prices will remain low well beyond 2020, further eroding Canada’s ambitions to become a prominent exporter of the super-cooled gas in coming years.

Analysts at Moody’s Investor Service said that global LNG markets are likely to remain oversupplied well into the next decade as Asian demand for the gas weakens and new supplies begin entering the market.

The estimate runs counter to some other analyst projections, which expect markets to balance in the next few years to create a so-called “second wave” of opportunity for would-be LNG exporters in Canada.

The international LNG market has grown rapidly over the past few years as rising demand for the gas, particularly in Asian countries, kicked off a global race to meet future supply needs.

Canada was among the countries vying to enter the market, and around 20 LNG export facilities were proposed to be built along the British Columbia coast, which would be fed by sizeable natural gas fields in northern B.C. and Alberta.

In recent years substantial volumes of new supply started entering the market from facilities in Australia, the U.S. and elsewhere, satisfying demand for the gas.

Mihoko Manabe, a Moody’s analyst who contributed to the report, said Canada’s missed opportunity to enter the LNG market is partly a result of oversupply. But she added that the shortcoming is also a result of political fumbles and local environmental opposition to the projects at a time when companies were more open to make major investments in Western Canadian LNG.

“In the last few years, I think the tide has turned against them—and a lot of it is beyond the cyclical ups and downs of commodity prices,” Manabe said.

Around 34 million tonnes per annum of LNG came online in 2016, the report said, with an additional 105 mtpa expected to be added over the next three years—roughly a quarter of the expected total LNG market in 2020.

The Moody’s analyst doubts demand for large-scale LNG facilities will return to its former levels, even after markets eventually rebalance. Investors are more likely to flock toward smaller, more incremental developments at facilities that have already signed contracts with buyers.

“It’s a lot more economic to expand an existing plant,” she said.

Another threat is the growth of Floating Storage Gasification Units (FSGUs), as they are called in the industry, which offer much cheaper and more versatile supplies of LNG that can reach yet-untapped markets.

“That has allowed the market to diversify into areas, like the Middle East for example,” she said.

The report comes as Christy Clark’s BC Liberal Party heads into a provincial election in May, after promising to develop Canada’s LNG industry during the last election cycle.

A decision by the federal government last September to approve the $11.4-billion Pacific NorthWest LNG, proposed by a consortium led by Malaysia-based Petronas, was used by the party as evidence that it was gradually realizing those ambitions. However many analysts say the consortium is likely to delay a final investment decision until market indications improve.

Analysts say the changing structure of global LNG markets will tighten competition along B.C.’s coast to build the first export facility.

“The projects that go forward will be the best of the best,” said Jihad Traya, an analyst with Solomon Associates in Calgary.

“Of all the 20-plus projects that were proposed, they were all on their own world-class. But within that pool their will still be significant attrition,” he said.

LNG markets often take years for demand and supply to balance out, according to Traya. However the falling costs of renewable energy sources like wind and solar will also pose a challenge to would-be exporters of LNG when markets near a more balanced state.

“The difference is that they now have to compete against renewables in ways that weren’t necessarily conceived or understood before.”

The global LNG market is expected to grow over the next few years despite increased competition. Solomon Associates expects the global liquefaction capacity could reach 85 billion cubic feet per day in 2025, up from 41 bcfd in 2016.

well i guess it's a good thing 40% of bc's economy is based on housing