Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

skasion posted:

Does anyone else feel like colonial nations are less revolt-happy lately? Feels like I used to see one or two become independent almost every game, but now I almost never see them break away unless I'm repeatedly beating the poo poo out of their overlord.

I should de-ironman my last game and load it up to see why none of the AI colonial nations have any liberty desire even after I agitated for it in one of them. I wonder if the AI is using lots of development to push down liberty desire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Yeah, I've noticed some oddities there too. One of my rivals had two colonial nations, and the larger of the two had 0% liberty desire even after I agitated for liberty, while the smaller one had at least some liberty desire though not a lot. You'd think the larger colony with a larger army would be less loyal. Both colonial nations stayed loyal even after I beat up my rival and reduced them to just a few provinces and broke all their alliances, so the colonies were in ideal conditions to become disloyal and fight an independence war. Maybe something is screwy, or maybe the AI is just really good (too good) at managing liberty desire.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i saw spanish brazil and spanish south south america team up to take on spain recently. but i don't remember how spain was doing at the time

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I have started 6 games in the past 2 days and get bored and stop before 1500. But after watching the Paradox MP streams I feel like I need to find a MP group to play with. It looks like a lot more fun. Though I'm sure I'd be terrible at it, I'm so used to constantly pausing.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

They should do something about the ability to pay a pittance for -20% liberty desire in personal unions. Literally paying 0.8 ducats a month as Denmark, at game start, to completely nullify any threat of Sweden trying to revolt is kinda dumb.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

deathbagel posted:

I have started 6 games in the past 2 days and get bored and stop before 1500. But after watching the Paradox MP streams I feel like I need to find a MP group to play with. It looks like a lot more fun. Though I'm sure I'd be terrible at it, I'm so used to constantly pausing.

If any goons still do multiplayer, I'd love to join in. I never could do it before because of my work schedule, but things are different now.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Fintilgin posted:

I should de-ironman my last game and load it up to see why none of the AI colonial nations have any liberty desire even after I agitated for it in one of them. I wonder if the AI is using lots of development to push down liberty desire?

Mountaineer posted:

Yeah, I've noticed some oddities there too. One of my rivals had two colonial nations, and the larger of the two had 0% liberty desire even after I agitated for liberty, while the smaller one had at least some liberty desire though not a lot. You'd think the larger colony with a larger army would be less loyal. Both colonial nations stayed loyal even after I beat up my rival and reduced them to just a few provinces and broke all their alliances, so the colonies were in ideal conditions to become disloyal and fight an independence war. Maybe something is screwy, or maybe the AI is just really good (too good) at managing liberty desire.

Developing in subjects to reduce liberty desire was added pretty recently, so it's probably that. Wonder if the AI should be a little more circumspect about that, or they could tie it into the age system so that it becomes less effective later in the game -- it's a really useful mechanic but big colonial wars are fun and I'd like them to break out in most of the new world by endgame, rather than "maybe once or twice if you personally really work for it".

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Mountaineer posted:

If any goons still do multiplayer, I'd love to join in. I never could do it before because of my work schedule, but things are different now.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773305

Plenty of goons play EU4 MP. There are two weekly games going on right now that you can hop in to. (Just join the discord and ignore the steam stuff.)

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

bees everywhere posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773305

Plenty of goons play EU4 MP. There are two weekly games going on right now that you can hop in to. (Just join the discord and ignore the steam stuff.)

I actually belong to the Steam group already, but the games don't quite synch up with my schedule :(

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

skasion posted:

Developing in subjects to reduce liberty desire was added pretty recently, so it's probably that.

Looks like it.

Four colonial nations owned by Castile in the same game in 1820

That's a lot of developing!!

EDIT: Posted in paradox bug forum

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 22, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Fintilgin posted:

Looks like it.

Four colonial nations owned by Castile in the same game in 1820

That's a lot of developing!!

EDIT: Posted in paradox bug forum

lol Jesus Christ. I guess that's one way of dealing with the entire new world being a single digit development wasteland

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Mountaineer posted:

deathbagel posted:

I actually belong to the Steam group already, but the games don't quite synch up with my schedule :(

Join the Discord, we never use the Steam group for anything these days. https://discord.gg/0Xj0w8YosFujejqw

Even if none of the games fit your schedule now, only the Saturday game is always at the same time. Others are at various times.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

Join the Discord, we never use the Steam group for anything these days. https://discord.gg/0Xj0w8YosFujejqw

Even if none of the games fit your schedule now, only the Saturday game is always at the same time. Others are at various times.

Ok, done, thank you!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Whatever you do, don't make a Central American kingdom a protectorate and then feed them the entirety of Mexico, because that's a great way for them to get

DOOMSDAY

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Wow, if you've ever used the CK2->EU4 converter. Karaite is a seriously powerful religion, it gets -10% Idea cost and +5 States. I wish you could play as them in a custom nation.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
certified bad player here: how do i money?

This isn't the full scope of the issue. I actually just went bankrupt so now all my armies are running with -100% morale, which is fun. I also just had a civil war (which might still be going? didn't check when i quit the game, but since i got demands enforced on me and changed rulers i'm pretty sure it's over) during which Imerti managed to crawl its way back into existence.

Theodoro is my vassal, Shirvan and Poland are my allies. Tabarestan just decided it didn't want to be my ally anymore and set me as a rival instead and I took that as my cue to just...stop for the night.

I've never had a game go this far downhill and not quit but for some reason I've decided I want to try and power through. But I do not know how I'll do that...

fake edit: the only reason i'm at my force limit right now is because i inherited all the pretender rebels when they enforced. my actual army from before is the 9stack that got trapped on Theodoro when I was helping take Crimea and panic peaced without realizing I had no way to get home and then decided I didn't want them to go home since by that point pretender rebels were running roughshod through the whole country and I just wanted them to enforce already.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Does Orissa ALWAYS have an event when the starting ruler dies that makes you choose between two lovely heirs?

I got the Johan event which let me get an heir named Krishna, that was 6/5/5, then that stupid event happened and killed him. gently caress!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Xinder posted:

This isn't the full scope of the issue. I actually just went bankrupt so now all my armies are running with -100% morale, which is fun. I also just had a civil war (which might still be going? didn't check when i quit the game, but since i got demands enforced on me and changed rulers i'm pretty sure it's over) during which Imerti managed to crawl its way back into existence.

Theodoro is my vassal, Shirvan and Poland are my allies. Tabarestan just decided it didn't want to be my ally anymore and set me as a rival instead and I took that as my cue to just...stop for the night.

I've never had a game go this far downhill and not quit but for some reason I've decided I want to try and power through. But I do not know how I'll do that...

fake edit: the only reason i'm at my force limit right now is because i inherited all the pretender rebels when they enforced. my actual army from before is the 9stack that got trapped on Theodoro when I was helping take Crimea and panic peaced without realizing I had no way to get home and then decided I didn't want them to go home since by that point pretender rebels were running roughshod through the whole country and I just wanted them to enforce already.

You're paying 6 ducats in forts. Why are you paying 6 ducats in forts? Tear some of them down, and mothball the rest!

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Dirk the Average posted:

You're paying 6 ducats in forts. Why are you paying 6 ducats in forts? Tear some of them down, and mothball the rest!

Well, that's a dumb. That'll help some at least.

I guess I got distracted or something because I'm usually more efficient with forts. I don't really have a good excuse.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

What I've started doing is letting my corruption rise up as long as it's relatively low. I think as long as it's under 1 you can still get good corruption events and as long as it's under 5 you don't get bad events. Sooner or later an event, ruler trait, or being ahead in tech will let it tick down by itself. This isn't really possible though if you've got lots of religious unity problems.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I just keep out my root out corruption slider maxed out and get rid of it asap.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Odobenidae posted:

What I've started doing is letting my corruption rise up as long as it's relatively low. I think as long as it's under 1 you can still get good corruption events and as long as it's under 5 you don't get bad events. Sooner or later an event, ruler trait, or being ahead in tech will let it tick down by itself. This isn't really possible though if you've got lots of religious unity problems.

I actually didn't know that. I thought it had to be at 0.

But then, I'm playing as QQ so religious unity has been an issue and will continue to be an issue for a good long time. I'll get my poo poo together eventually, I hope.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Would it be wise to release Haasa as a vassal so they can fight my rebels for me while I'm suffering from bankruptcy? Theodoro would probably help but there's no land connection.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I've never seen a vassal fight my own rebels for me. They can barely take care of their own.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Node posted:

I've never seen a vassal fight my own rebels for me. They can barely take care of their own.

Yeah, that may have been an optimistic thought. Would Shirvan do it for me if I gave them military access?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Xinder posted:

Yeah, that may have been an optimistic thought. Would Shirvan do it for me if I gave them military access?

I notice the same behavior with allies. Nobody gives a poo poo about your mess, you have to clean it up. They might walk into it by accident if you're at war and they path an army through it, but like vassals I don't think they care.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Well I guess I'm living in rebel hell for the next 10 years.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Strong allies will kill your rebels when you're in a war together, and once in a while when you're not at war.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Honestly, if its only 1468, and you've gone bankrupt, I'd just restart. QQ is a tough nation.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I usually would, but now I feel like clawing my way back out of this mess I've gotten myself into will be an excellent learning experience.

If I fail to do it then I'll just feel like poo poo and go play in some other part of the world.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Node posted:

Does Orissa ALWAYS have an event when the starting ruler dies that makes you choose between two lovely heirs?

I got the Johan event which let me get an heir named Krishna, that was 6/5/5, then that stupid event happened and killed him. gently caress!

Yes, but only if you take Velanadu and Konaseema from Andhra. If you own those provinces you're basically guaranteed to trigger the Death of Kapilendra event and subsequent succession crisis between 1460 and 1470. http://www.eu4wiki.com/Orissi_events#Death_of_Kapilendra

I think in my first post on Orissa I mentioned you don't want to go after Andhra early and that's mostly why.

e: spel gud

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 23, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Xinder posted:

You're a horde. Take it out of your neighbors.

Also debasing your currency is very powerful and better than loans in a lot of ways. The biggest one is that if you set your corruption slider to zero, debasing your currency doesn't lower your monthly balance like a loan does. So you can debase to pay for what you need and then slowly raise the corruption slider as your income increases. It's really good if you know you have a ruler with good stats and/or you know you're not going to be spending many monarch points in the short term, like if you're ahead of time on tech (which coincidentally gives you passive corruption reduction). It's a really great tool for getting out of a debt spiral.

Also you get a little bit of unrest reduction from corruption, so that's icing on the cake.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

hmm what how

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

They might have won as leader of the league war and never have lost the one vote election for the emperorship. I think that's how France always ends up in that situation, but there's usually enough electors that they don't stay very long.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Odobenidae posted:

They might have won as leader of the league war and never have lost the one vote election for the emperorship. I think that's how France always ends up in that situation, but there's usually enough electors that they don't stay.

Look at the religious map, there aren't many other choices for a Catholic emperor

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Pellisworth posted:

Yes, but only if you take Velanadu and Konaseema from Andhra. If you own those provinces you're basically guaranteed to trigger the Death of Kapilendra event and subsequent succession crisis between 1460 and 1470. http://www.eu4wiki.com/Orissi_events#Death_of_Kapilendra

I think in my first post on Orissa I mentioned you don't want to go after Andhra early and that's mostly why.

e: spel gud

:ssj:

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Baron Corbyn posted:

Look at the religious map, there aren't many other choices for a Catholic emperor

I mean more the fact that 99% of the HRE is protestant or reformed and catholicism is the sole religion of the HRE. It's a bit absurd but I'm rolling with it.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Mystic_Shadow posted:

I mean more the fact that 99% of the HRE is protestant or reformed and catholicism is the sole religion of the HRE. It's a bit absurd but I'm rolling with it.

Who are the Catholics in Russia?

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Baron Corbyn posted:

Who are the Catholics in Russia?

Giga-Commonwealth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Xinder posted:

Well I guess I'm living in rebel hell for the next 10 years.

Step 1 of all my QQ games has been to release Albania to avoid the separatists and also serve as a loyal vassal for Georgian/Circassian toxic core land.

Step 2 is to raise autonomy on all of Iraq to avoid dealing with their 21 stack of rebels.

• Locked thread