Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Convenient that the FWC got their decision out in time to not have to work on the weekend, that would have been the true tragedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Guardian AU posted:

It found gas generation failed at EnergyAustralia’s Tallawarra power plant on the NSW south coast owing to faults with the turbines. The Colongra gas-fired plant, owned by Snowy Hydro, was unable to start because of low gas pressure in its supply lines.

Output was also reduced from two of AGL’s 500MW coal-fired power units at the Liddell power station.

The combined failures left about 2,000MW unavailable during the peak period of demand. A number of thermal generators also reduced their output, while solar and wind generation reduced by 300MW in line with forecasts for that time of the day.

:lol:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/feb/23/gas-fired-power-plants-failed-during-nsw-heatwave-report-reveals

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Very good decision considering those SDA agreements that recently got thrown in the toilet. They're all top notch now.

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010

Anidav posted:

Bill Shorten has such an election winning hand.

gently caress Negative Gearing
gently caress the Banks
gently caress paycuts

How could you even lose the next election with political capital like that?

Surely everyone who cares about any of those things already doesn't vote for the lnp?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

foolish_fool posted:

Surely everyone who cares about any of those things already doesn't vote for the lnp?

Username post combo

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

foolish_fool posted:

*looks at One Nation vote*

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010

Anidav posted:

*looks at One Nation vote*

Best (worst?) case we end up with one nation either in power outright or close enough to hold everything to ransom.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
You are the owner of a business that just had its wage bill reduced due to the cut in Sunday penalty rates. Do you:

A) Hire more staff despite there being no additional demand for your product created by this decision (if anything it will weaken demand).
B) Buy another investment property.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
One nation voters care about workers rights, one nation party? I dont think it does.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
One Nation is the party for crabs in buckets. They don't give a poo poo about improving their lives, either due to myopia or malice, just as long as people as they perceive as lesser to them get poo poo on more. Liberals, at least, have aspirations.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/feb/23/women-will-get-pregnant-for-paid-leave-pauline-hanson-says-in-opposing-omnibus-bill
Pauline Hanson has reportedly claimed that women will get pregnant to access paid parental leave in comments indicating that major changes will be needed to the government’s omnibus welfare bill for it to win One Nation support.

Clearly workers' rights are at the heart of the One Nation policy platform.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Cartoon posted:

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/re...34d79f4fd019b8e
Sweden has one of the highest reported rape rates in the world this is because the Swedes have managed to improve reporting and prosecution. Maybe we should look at what they are doing right?

I think you'll find that Sweden has one of the highest reported rape rates in the world because hordes of Muslims have invaded their shores.

Great news about the cuts in hospitality wages. Can't wait to see small business owners' hearts grow three sizes larger and they hire loads more people. Might be the end of unemployment!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
It might be enough for someone to preference Labor above the Libs though, even if they are a shortsighted racist.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Frogfingers posted:

One Nation is the party for crabs in buckets. They don't give a poo poo about improving their lives, either due to myopia or malice, just as long as people as they perceive as lesser to them get poo poo on more. Liberals, at least, have aspirations.

That isn't my experience of people who were voting PHON. Most of those guys were sick of losing their jobs and their pay conditions and didn't think Lib/Lab were doing anything about it so were voting something else in protest.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It might be enough for someone to preference Labor above the Libs though
I and people I know flipped over work choices. This is just as lovely a thing so I think you're right.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
eBay's whore pulls the pin...

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/feb/23/australia-post-chief-executive-ahmed-fahour-expected-to-quit-after-pay-row

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The worst thing about the Unfair Work Commission decision is doing something like this when wage growth is at a record low, and prices are rising. Guaranteed to shrink the economy, sends a signal that Sundays are not worth working on, and entrenches the working poor. Spectacular own goal, ruling class.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Seems like the only reasonable thing to do after Turnbull tried to throw his weight around.

[EDIT: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-23/australia-post-half-year-profit-surges/8296316 lol]

open24hours fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 23, 2017

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

open24hours posted:

Seems like the only reasonable thing to do after Turnbull tried to throw his weight around.

[EDIT: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-23/australia-post-half-year-profit-surges/8296316 lol]

Profit Surge, eh? Perfect time to privatize!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

lmao the Business Council guy just stated it would be "hard to predict" how many jobs cutting penalty rates will create.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
FWC - IWC coincidence? I think not!

Also you day traders who were looking for investment advice who bought gold on my say so? Sell it now for a cool profit.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

hooman posted:

That isn't my experience of people who were voting PHON. Most of those guys were sick of losing their jobs and their pay conditions and didn't think Lib/Lab were doing anything about it so were voting something else in protest.

Sorry, I let the theys become a little ambiguous. They being One Nation and the their being the constituents. Labor's retreat from the working class has orphaned the working class (working poor if outside the main cities), but you're vastly more likely to know One Nation for their xenophobia for than literally any other policy they have. Is it the morbidly disproportionate amount of airtime Seven gives Hanson?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Profit Surge, eh? Perfect time to privatize!

More like short term profit rebound driven by mass sackings. This will look great on the old resume if I don't wait too long to bail.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Bill Shorten on TV brings this old lady to the podium and she says she only lives on 600 dollars a week and starts crying :(

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Fair Work's decision today won't just effect people who work weekends; many businesses have EA's negotiated where penalty rates aren't paid but the base rate is higher to compensate for this. This means that when those agreements are renegotiated they will no longer keep the base rate at that higher level to compensate for the lack of penalty rate.

In short, the effect of this is that in the long term the penalty rates cut will decrease the base rate for a huge number of staff on employee agreements as well, even if they only work weekdays.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Fair Work's decision today won't just effect people who work weekends; many businesses have EA's negotiated where penalty rates aren't paid but the base rate is higher to compensate for this. This means that when those agreements are renegotiated they will no longer keep the base rate at that higher level to compensate for the lack of penalty rate.

In short, the effect of this is that in the long term the penalty rates cut will decrease the base rate for a huge number of staff on employee agreements as well, even if they only work weekdays.

It depends on what the workers do when they bargain, but idiot manager will come in and argue for a freeze until the wage is "normalised".

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Stop the votes!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

open24hours posted:

Clearly workers' rights are at the heart of the One Nation policy platform.

Australia will be SWAMPED BY ASIANS MUSLIMS BABIES

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Can we riot now or what?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Box of Bunnies posted:

Australia will be SWAMPED BY ASIANS MUSLIMS BABIESNEW JOBS DUE TO INCREASED FLEXIBILITY IN THIS AGILE ECONOMY *MAKES COFFEE for 14 HOURS STRAIGHT AND THEN COMMITS SUICIDE*

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Centrelink debt letter gets redirected to next of kin.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
BTW does anyone know if my hecs/help debt dies with me if I jump off a fifty storey building? Just weighing my options in this exciting new economy.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Starshark posted:

BTW does anyone know if my hecs/help debt dies with me if I jump off a fifty storey building? Just weighing my options in this exciting new economy.

They'll extract your sperm/eggs from your body, implant them into a surrogate, she'll give birth, then the debt is passed onto your illegally harvested baby.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Starshark posted:

Yep.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Maybe we can get conservatives to care about suicide prevention after all!

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Was it someone ITT that got a failure-to-vote notice for a council election? Was it a Victorian election?

Because it looks like 3723 voters in south-west Victoria alone received failure to vote notices from the Victorian Electoral Commission following the local council elections in October. Am in the process of reading Victorian Hansard for work and this was mentioned. Might be a good basis for appealing the fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The Before Times posted:

Was it someone ITT that got a failure-to-vote notice for a council election? Was it a Victorian election?

Because it looks like 3723 voters in south-west Victoria alone received failure to vote notices from the Victorian Electoral Commission following the local council elections in October. Am in the process of reading Victorian Hansard for work and this was mentioned. Might be a good basis for appealing the fine.

My fiancé got a fine for not voting on whether to allow a liquor license for a restaurant in a designated dry zone because her council is the most nimby rear end bunch of loving wasps ever

• Locked thread