Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Andrew_Jackson5 posted:

Superhero movies have very long marketing cycles so people think about them throughout the year more often than they think of other genre action movies. The interconnected nature of the MCU and other worse cinematic universes also makes it so previous films stay in the public consciousness for longer. I mean, people are already trying to say they're sick of Star Wars because of how long the Force Awakens' marketing onslaught lasted.

Superhero movie fatigue always felt a bit more to me like people getting bored of movies trying to do the Battle of NY from Avengers but again too much. The average person who regularly enjoys action movies will probably continue to like superhero movies as long as they begin to vary in tone and structure, which it seems like Marvel Studios is pushing towards and Fox has wound up doing through simply letting people make whatever movie they want if they yell at them for long enough.

That makes sense. To me, every snippit of information just build excitement, every poster and trailer. I guess when you're not complete into all this poo poo it can get tiring. These other films that have a smaller marketing campaign come out more often but aren't as much in the public eye. I guess its less Superhero movie fatigue and more marketing fatigue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Even when you're into this poo poo it can get tiring. I like posters and trailers, but the cottage industry of speculation over the tiniest scrap is pretty insane.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

howe_sam posted:

Even when you're into this poo poo it can get tiring. I like posters and trailers, but the cottage industry of speculation over the tiniest scrap is pretty insane.

I wish Youtube would stop with its constant barrage of recommendations of 30 minute-long trailer analysis videos for every superhero movie.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Gf and I just finished watching Suicide Squad for the first time. We can't believe it got released, it's SO bad. It like... didn't have character motivations. Or coherent editing. Or an act 2??

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Also, exhibition practices should be considered as well, there's about ten films released a week and I'm lucky enough to live in a city (London) where I can pick and choose what I want to watch any week because there will be a cinema somewhere showing it. But, if you're in a small town with one cinema then when a new Marvel or DC is released then the screen estate is mostly taken up with viewings of that, so I can see how that can be frustrating if you are largely disinterested in super-heroes or even just blockbuster action. That said, home viewing is now easier and better than ever before, so I guess it's only a huge problem if you want the experience of going out to a film.

I like super-heroes so I don't really find it a problem and through work and my own volition it is not unusual for me to see over 70 cinema releases in a year, so superhero films and the like take up a tiny percentage of that, but yeah, I can see someone being frustrated by them especially as it is becoming clear that they are never going away, at least not any time soon.

There's normally more talking animal releases in any given year any way, so if you hate that as well then you are especially having a bad time.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Just lol at people who feel the need to get hyped up about upcoming or future media.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Roth posted:

I wish Youtube would stop with its constant barrage of recommendations of 30 minute-long trailer analysis videos for every superhero movie.

I don't mind those becuase some are actually well done, it's the reaction videos I hate. It's always someone screaming their head off at every little thing or going so over the top it's just embarrassing to watch.

It's just a loving trailer dude. Calm down.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

SlimGoodbody posted:

Gf and I just finished watching Suicide Squad for the first time. We can't believe it got released, it's SO bad. It like... didn't have character motivations. Or coherent editing. Or an act 2??

They spent a lot of time explaining why Deadshot did what he was doing and then kinda failed to do so for everyone else. I still really liked Diablo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I wonder if ancient Sumerian tablet critics warned about Gilgamesh-fatigue setting in.

People with extraordinary abilities fiction is like the oldest form of human fiction, I don't think it's in danger.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

zoux posted:

I wonder if ancient Sumerian tablet critics warned about Gilgamesh-fatigue setting in.

People with extraordinary abilities fiction is like the oldest form of human fiction, I don't think it's in danger.

Richard Dawkins still eagerly awaiting bible fatigue to set in

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Red Cunieform Media called Enkidu much more interesting than the protagonist, which has long been a problem in the SCU.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
e:^^^ The best.

SlimGoodbody posted:

Richard Dawkins still eagerly awaiting bible fatigue to set in

I think he knows it won't, because no one actually reads enough of it to get burned out.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

haitfais posted:

I think he knows it won't, because no one actually reads enough of it to get burned out.

Oh, huh, Christians are the "I only know the characters from the movies" fans, but of religion. This recontextualizes some things for me.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Andrew_Jackson5 posted:

Superhero movies have very long marketing cycles so people think about them throughout the year more often than they think of other genre action movies. The interconnected nature of the MCU and other worse cinematic universes also makes it so previous films stay in the public consciousness for longer. I mean, people are already trying to say they're sick of Star Wars because of how long the Force Awakens' marketing onslaught lasted.

Superhero movie fatigue always felt a bit more to me like people getting bored of movies trying to do the Battle of NY from Avengers but again too much. The average person who regularly enjoys action movies will probably continue to like superhero movies as long as they begin to vary in tone and structure, which it seems like Marvel Studios is pushing towards and Fox has wound up doing through simply letting people make whatever movie they want if they yell at them for long enough.

I was just thinking about Annihilation as the basis of a Marvels cross-over war type movie.

In the comics it was Nova, Drax, Thanos, and the Guardians of the Universe, including a literal horde of F4 villains.

How could you do that in the MCU? Guardians yeah, Thanos too, but maybe you'd have to set up a Nova movie (another origine movie, kinda boring), and generic insect bad guys I guess.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I would backdoor Nova into the 3rd Guardians movie and just make him one of the team. Bullshit does Nova get his own movie.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

In some Fox X-Men related news:

Simon Kinberg is now looking to direct the next installment of the main X-Men franchise, rumored to be titled X-Men: Supernova.

Drew Goddard has joined Ryan Reynolds in putting the finishing touches on the Deadpool 2 script.

Ryan Reynolds and Joe Carnahan are currently also working on a script for X-Force with Carnahan expected to direct.

So right now we have Deadpool 2, X-Men: Supernova, New Mutants, and X-Force in various stages of development along with the Matt Nix X-Men series on Fox that will be part of the X-Men film universe. And then Legion which is its own thing.

X-O fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 23, 2017

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Don't forget about the Gambit movie that's totally happening.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Roth posted:

Don't forget about the Gambit movie that's totally happening.

"It not you, it Hollywood."

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

SonicRulez posted:

I would backdoor Nova ... and ... make him ...poo poo...

:popeye:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

"It not you, it Hollywood."

I laughed.

X-O posted:

In some Fox X-Men related news:

Simon Kinberg is now looking to direct the next installment of the main X-Men franchise, rumored to be titled X-Men: Supernova.

Drew Goddard has joined Ryan Reynolds in putting the finishing touches on the Deadpool 2 script.

Ryan Reynolds and Joe Carnahan are currently also working on a script for X-Force with Carnahan expected to direct.

So right now we have Deadpool 2, X-Men: Supernova, New Mutants, and X-Force in various stages of development along with the Matt Nix X-Men series on Fox that will be part of the X-Men film universe. And then Legion which is its own thing.

Someone quoted Sophie Turner as saying the next X flick shoots this summer. So uh, not likely?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

...what's not likely? He didn't write any questions there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

...what's not likely? He didn't write any questions there.

Well if they still don't have a director it's unlikely they're shooting in a few months? Has there been any confirmation on it shooting this year?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The X-Men movies are so by committee I think they can just plug anyone in the day before if they wanted to.

4-5 months is plenty of time if someone else is writing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

The X-Men movies are so by committee I think they can just plug anyone in the day before if they wanted to.

4-5 months is plenty of time if someone else is writing.

The only thing I've seen on them filming one this year is the goon (maybe in this thread) quoting Turner as saying it was happening this summer.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

McAvoy's confirmed shooting starts this summer.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah I know, that was me. She didn't actually say summer, she just said soon. Other film nerd sites said summer is likely.

It's from here: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2017/02/13/sophie-turner-confirms-new-x-men-movie-shooting-soon

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Links are always good. I thought they were rebooting again but I guess not?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Links are always good. I thought they were rebooting again but I guess not?

https://www.flickreel.com/james-mcavoy-cant-wait-to-shoot-new-x-men-movie-in-the-summer/

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The rumors are they're shooting it and New Mutants simultaneously in Montreal this summer because some actors will be in both.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Did they confirm any cast for New Mutants? All I saw were second hand things like Maisie Williams as Wolfsbane and such.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

McAvoy is the only confirmed cast member.

The team is confirmed to be Magik, Wolfsbane, Cannonball, Sunspot, Mirage (Dani Moonstar) and Warlock but no casting has been announced.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Did they confirm any cast for New Mutants? All I saw were second hand things like Maisie Williams as Wolfsbane and such.

People are taking the Wolfsbane/Maisie thing as read because the director retweeted fan art of her as the character.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I hope history repeats itself and the X-Force movie inexplicably becomes the highest grossing comic book movie of all time.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Matt Reeves is apparently directing Batman for realsies this time

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well that's some promising news finally.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JordanKai posted:

I hope history repeats itself and the X-Force movie inexplicably becomes the highest grossing comic book movie of all time.

Maybe if Pierce Brosnan really is playing Cable.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

X-O posted:

Well that's some promising news finally.

It really is. I dig Matt Reeves and I think he'll make a popular Batman movie.

In other related news, the Lego Batman guy is in talks to direct a Nightwing movie written by the person who wrote The Accountant.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A Nightwing movie? What he hell?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Rhyno posted:

A Nightwing movie? What he hell?

Yup

It's not set in stone or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

zoux posted:

People are taking the Wolfsbane/Maisie thing as read because the director retweeted fan art of her as the character.

Yea that feels correct. It certainly feels like fan casting taken as fact.

• Locked thread