Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Bad Llama posted:

Paperboy was better on the NES than in the arcade.

Show me one person who disputes this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The Railroad is the best faction in Fallout 4 and are the one I stuck with for a marathon playthrough after getting all the other faction endings.

don't they blow up the brotherhood blimp AND the institute? if your quest only ends with one big explosion while another ends with two, you need to sort your life out

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Blizzard RTS's are better than any other RTS's and it's not even close.

Lot's of RTS's are fun though, like some of the Dawn of War games.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
all RTS games should be set in the DUNE universe. the games only makes sense in that context anyway. you cant just replace Sand Crawlers with peasants or crystal harvesting droids, thats dumb! :colbert:

make up some of your own mechanics you lazy game developers. the same games over and over with higher resolution is boring

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Liking blizzard rts is a popular opinion. The correct and unpopular one is that all blizzard games are total poo poo but what they did to RTS with warcraft 3 has been completely dogfucking the entire goddamn genre for 15 fuckin years.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Relic is actually the king of RTS

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

dawn of war 1 is really good. Dawn of War 2 was an exercise in "what if we just fukken copied warcraft 3 and axed basebuilding and basically macro actions alltogether lmao?"

i dont have anything bad to say about coh1 but coh 2 is the same stupid poo poo.

The ideal RTS is #1. Super hammy cutscenes #2 a game built around the single player campaign. the campaign is more important than any retarded multiplayer poo poo #4 it needs to be made by westwood studios

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
in fact, Eugen Systems made the best RTS: Wargame

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I had that until my dad gave it a huge data destroying mark on the data side of the disc and we never found it in stores again. I remeber it being awesome

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Live action cutscenes were loving dope and it's a travesty that no one uses them anymore.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

basic hitler posted:

The ideal RTS is #1. Super hammy cutscenes #2 a game built around the single player campaign. the campaign is more important than any retarded multiplayer poo poo #4 it needs to be made by westwood studios

Wowie zowie we have a winner! This is the most unpopular videogame opinion!!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
CoH and Dawn of War were definitely good though. RTS's are good, and it's great when there are more onboard.

I think one of the reasons RTS's are so unpopular lately is because they are just so challenging that it creates anxiety. Also that they are largely centered around 1v1's is an issue because the number 1 response for a losing gamer is "blame teammates".

In the cold 1v1 ladder of SC2 ladder, you come face to face with your innermost flaws...

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

phasmid posted:

Live action cutscenes were loving dope and it's a travesty that no one uses them anymore.
Confirmed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MQPWE_M_EM

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Starcraft 2 could have been the best game ever made and it wouldn't matter because RTS is a dead genre and has been ever since the rise of MOBAs.

edit: And Zero Hour is the best RTS.

Irradiation fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 23, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I have been wanting to try this forever, so thanks for the kick in the rear end

I think ZH is the best RTS ever made so I totally want to try this

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

basic hitler posted:

dawn of war 1 is really good. Dawn of War 2 was an exercise in "what if we just fukken copied warcraft 3 and axed basebuilding and basically macro actions alltogether lmao?"

dow2 had lite base building but it was mostly done outside the base when you had to take & build power nodes and hold req points, i preferred that style over regular base building because it it encouraged confrontation and aggressiveness to the point where like nobody whined about rushes or raids

they could have expanded on that and put more depth into it tho

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I think one of the reasons RTS's are so unpopular lately is because they are just so challenging that it creates anxiety. Also that they are largely centered around 1v1's is an issue because the number 1 response for a losing gamer is "blame teammates".

In the cold 1v1 ladder of SC2 ladder, you come face to face with your innermost flaws...

:agreed:

some people take RTS losses too personally, like a loss questions their intelligence or something and they might not be able enjoy a losing game like you might a losing fps match where you could still have fun killing a few chumps before going down

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
RTS and MOBAs are trash compared to the one true nerd dueling game, Street Fighter

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

CoH and Dawn of War were definitely good though. RTS's are good, and it's great when there are more onboard.

It's not that it's too hard or anxiety, it's just that starcraft style multiplayer where the only way to not be poo poo on is to follow a meta, follow strict fast build orders and work on tolerating and being good at doing the most tedious poo poo in the game, making sure you know what a patch change is going to change for you, outweighs any satisfaction from a victory. It's tedium. A good campaign is so important because I don't care about online competition at all. At all. I'm not 15 anymore, and I don't give a poo poo about a KD ratio or ranking10 plat in season 1 1v1. It's just straight up not fun. It's not fun in a blizzard game, or a relic game, or even a C&C game. Know what's fun? Invading america and levelling the pentagon with a horde of soviet conscripts while the obviously evil psychic and buffon premier congratulate you on your victories.

Having to look up and read things because you're getting dick stomped by lovely lame but totally legit strategies like 6 pool and 2 raxx that require a precise response to actually recover from and not lose immediately or in 5 minutes, is nothing any normal person will ever want to learn

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
It is stressful though. Even when it's fun. You put in a lot of fast activity and complete focus for ~20 minutes and then lose half the time.

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues
Diddy Kong Racing is better than Mario Kart 64

Fallout 3 is better than New Vegas

Bioshock 2 is the best in the series

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Manfrompoot posted:

Fallout 3 is better than New Vegas

Fallout 2 is better than Fallout 3

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
The amount of bad sonic games is severely exaggerated. There's like 5 bad ones tops, and 3 of those were on wii/wiiu. Note: I'm not saying the good ones were life-changingly good either.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

all RTS games should be set in the DUNE universe.

this but unironically.

we really need a 4X Dune game. Would love a paradox game about the Landsraad.

also gently caress yeah, dune 2 clones are loving gayer than dad.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

SpaceClown posted:

this but unironically.

we really need a 4X Dune game. Would love a paradox game about the Landsraad.

This would own, like a scaled back Stellaris with grand strategy on the central arakkis map and the homeworlds of the great houses. You can also play as the fremen

the only issue i see is how long it would play from the reign of Shaddam IV to the defeat of the honored matres

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

RTS games are better when there is more focus on strategy and less focus on real time management. I like to actually focus on how to outsmart the other person rather than frantically dividing my attention all over the place so I can make the most moves in the least time and bullshit like that or having to pay attention to every unit and its ten stupid abilities.

All I do in RTS games is sit back and focus on defense and then build a ton of artillery anyway, so I just wish there were RTS games where that is a more valid tactic. Dawn of War 1 was pretty good for taking my time and focusing on strategy, even though the artillery wasn't very good.

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 23, 2017

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
halo wars was the best rts game

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Men of War.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
A lot of people would be really sad if they realized the same people they lost to in starcraft would beat them in the slower RTS games. High apm isn't a special skill, literally thousands of people have that. The ones who win consistently are the master decision makers and strategists. Don't confuse a build order with a strategy.

Also fighting games aren't just "memorizing combos and spamming fireballs" and FPS isn't just "shooting in a general direction". You automatically know someone doesn't know what they're talking about when they say "You just gotta do this ONE thing more/faster/better and you always win".

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Blaise330 posted:

A lot of people would be really sad if they realized the same people they lost to in starcraft would beat them in the slower RTS games. High apm isn't a special skill, literally thousands of people have that. The ones who win consistently are the master decision makers and strategists. Don't confuse a build order with a strategy.

Also fighting games aren't just "memorizing combos and spamming fireballs" and FPS isn't just "shooting in a general direction". You automatically know someone doesn't know what they're talking about when they say "You just gotta do this ONE thing more/faster/better and you always win".

no there are cheese strategies to win any RTS, I remember getting to diamond in SC2 using only zealot rush.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Blaise330 posted:

i guarantee you i'd wreck the poo poo out of probably 90% of diamond class star craft players in XPiratez

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I don't think RTS is dead. It's just sleeping until we get back more of the fun, unpredictable chaos back instead of "balance" mostly decided by vocal tournament dorkwads who want everything so fine tuned they know whether to zealot rush or stalker rush. As basic hitler alluded, competitive multiplayer took the fun out of SC. It was plenty competitive before, with the trash talking and the win/loss ratio but nope, now we gotta kowtow to the South Korean kid with an average APM of 175.

DotA and her myriad clones are trash for babies who can't macro.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I guess that isn't a real time game.

I'd wreck the poo poo out of 90% of the diamond class players are World in Conflict and if I ever bother to get good at Men of War, that too.

It requires a special skill to be able to not only predict where an enemy squad is advancing but also leading them with a napalm strike thats timed so they get wiped out before the other player can react. A special skill that I sharpened to a very nasty point because I spent way too much playing that game back in the day.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

a bone to pick posted:

no there are cheese strategies to win any RTS, I remember getting to diamond in SC2 using only zealot rush.

There's 2 leagues above diamond and I'm sure that worked when the game launched but gl doing it today. You'll get some wins but it'll cap off to 50/50 wins eventually as you climb then barely wins after that.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Season 1 there was only briefly a special snowflake rank over diamond and you saw cheese well into diamond. I dont gove a gently caress about the game beyond this and literally the majority of people dont either, this was the window blizzard had to make people give a poo poo.

In starcraft yes literally just mastering build orders would statistically let you win enough for platinum rank and apm+ability to scout/react/adapt would put you in diamond. This means unit management and timely expansions and micro comes into play but it's a natural, miserable progression and you dont notice it. It takes a masochist or a sadist to keep doing it for fun and a delusional or desperate bastard to have mlg dreams but thats the only reason to keep improving since the game is straight up negative fun well before that level of play.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
I agree the game is boring, I just don't agree that top players are bad strategists that would instantly be helpless if they got put into a lower apm RTS game. Also cheese is borderline useless in any genre once you get past a certain point (and that point isnt scraping the bottom of diamond on an elo system). That stuff you do on Tekken and Soul Calibur to your little brother is just utterly ineffectual once you get outside of your bubble.

It just feels like the whole "pro players of *game/sport/thing I dont like* are actually bad/dumb, they just master mind numbing cheap things to perfection" is self preservation for people's egos. Instead of building themself up, they just tear other people down to feel better. It's kind of like when someone goes "That person isn't smarter than me, they're just like.... book smart. I'm for reals smart in a way that can't be measured."

Blaise330 fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 23, 2017

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Blaise330 posted:

I agree the game is boring, I just don't agree that top players are bad strategists that would instantly be helpless if they got put into a lower apm RTS game. Also cheese is borderline useless in any genre once you get past a certain point (and that point isnt scraping the bottom of diamond on an elo system). That stuff you do on Tekken and Soul Calibur to your little brother is just utterly ineffectual once you get outside of your bubble.

It just feels like the whole "pro players of *game/sport/thing I dont like* are actually bad/dumb, they just master mind numbing cheap things to perfection" is self preservation for people's egos. Instead of building themself up, they just tear other people down to feel better. It's kind of like when someone goes "That person isn't smarter than me, they're just like.... book smart. I'm for reals smart in a way that can't be measured."

Counterpoint: e-sports are bad and dumb.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Blaise330 posted:

i think they are good strategists at that type of game.

properly managing marine blobs doesn't transfer well to games like men of war, or games like hearts of iron.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

starcraft 2 sincerely doesn't transfer to anything else. No, somebody pretty familiar with the basics and maybe even some of the advanced aspects that are universal to those sort of RTS might get along fine but a grandmaster that steps into a game like World In Conflict is probably likely to get fisted by me with my collector's edition berlin wall rock just because he was expecting something much dumber and far more different, and inferior, for babies, from blizard, instead of someone capable of making games that dont suck and i never played multiplayer in that one, i just don't have half my brain wired up to play starcraft lmao

Bobmuffins
Oct 10, 2016

payday 2 is boring, incredibly easy, and all-around bad. payday: the heist is blatantly superior in every possible respect.

no, i totally don't have 750+ hours in pdth, every achievement, and my username written on the wall in the game. shut up.

im serious though payday 2 is bad and hasn't been good since launch day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkEnigma
Mar 31, 2001
I kind of love Ubisoft. Never had an issue with Uplay or the games, no bugs or crashes, SLI support out the gate usually, AAA quality.