Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I forgot how awful "the choice of a new generation" was. It sounds like they're persuading investors to buy Pepsi stock rather than getting kids to drink it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I really like how the alien sounds like he has severe allergies. He's just bumbling around everywhere and exploding through walls because he's loopy on antihistamines.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!
I can't help but wonder if Prometheus might not be more legible to audiences in the era of Trump.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Pop culture.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

new alien cov sneak peek bein aired during LEGION this week apparently

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009
Prologue is up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkXgRlRao5I

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
I feel like I already know what's going to happen.

Also, I guess I didn't know that James Franco was in this?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Well based on how the last James Franco/Danny McBride film went, I think a bunch of people are going to get stoned af and the eaten by an alien.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Efb!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

pretty good, especially how they all seem to be paired up into couples; i like that as a plot point. also fassbender already has me hooked

danny mcbride being typical danny mcbride!

billy crudup as 'insecure overlooked guy' will surely lead to some bad decision-making later

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Apollodorus posted:

Well based on how the last James Franco/Danny McBride film went, I think a bunch of people are going to get stoned af and the eaten by an alien.

Milborn and Fifields sons out looking for their lost dads

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Dude Where's My Alien

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Looking forward to the 3 of them passing a blunt.

That is, McBride, Franco, and the Alien.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Dinosaurs! posted:

I forgot how awful "the choice of a new generation" was. It sounds like they're persuading investors to buy Pepsi stock rather than getting kids to drink it.

pepsi advertising has always come off like the product of a botched reptilian interfacing algorithm, did you ever see the doc on how they designed their current logo?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

pepsi advertising has always come off like the product of a botched reptilian interfacing algorithm, did you ever see the doc on how they designed their current logo?

I don't mean to gush but I found it pretty exciting myself.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

God Fassbender is such a good actor. If it were pretty much any other actor in Hollywood taking on two roles in the same movie playing two separate but still similar robots, I'd be petrified that it would be too confusing, but just in this little clip there's a definite difference between David and this new Fass-bot. He's great.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Yeah, it's remarkable (see we're remarking on it, you can tell) how immediately he distinguishes his new android from David. Can't wait to see them onscreen together.

I just love the blue-collar space trucking stuff. I could watch people mumble and flip switches on a Ridley Scott spaceship all day.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The food aint that bad callback was an, um, interesting homage.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That might be my favorite call back in the entire franchise. The pay off is perfect.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Apperently, this isn't in the film. It's a piece of marketing. According to AvP Galaxy.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
At the start of Lawnmower man they give the power of a predator to a monkey.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
That is a really impressive, lean little piece of film making. So many relationships and power dynamics displayed so very quickly and smoothly. That's cool.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
Do you ever wonder what the equivalent of Predator space truckers are like?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Apperently, this isn't in the film. It's a piece of marketing. According to AvP Galaxy.

Yeah, directed by Ridley's son.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
did DiGiorno's sponsor the film

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Aw, space truckers. :3:

HannibalBarca posted:

did DiGiorno's sponsor the film

Nah, but they're gonna have a great "It is delivery" pun with the first alien birth.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Michael Fassbender's smile at the end was so good

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Darko posted:

The food aint that bad callback was an, um, interesting homage.

I like that we now have a solid chronology of food in the setting being not that bad early on and then progressively getting worse to the point of Alien Resurrection where even the coffee is said to be terrible.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

I like that we now have a solid chronology of food in the setting being not that bad early on and then progressively getting worse to the point of Alien Resurrection where even the coffee is said to be terrible.

They also appear to be eating some kind of worms in Resurrection. Or weird gross looking noodles.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

You'd think with 200 years of cloning research they'd be able to grow a decent steak.

RE: Sci-fi settings and coffee, I forget how much this matters in the book but I like how in The Expanse tv series a bunch of people exhibit weird superstition levels of "if I add ____ weird object to this coffee it will actually taste like how coffee use to taste on earth and not like literal poo poo." like having a good cup of coffee in space once ever is this one common desire that transcends all political and social classes.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 23, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Hell yeah, Ridley's basically taking the last classroom scene of The Martian and sending off the graduating class into an Alien movie.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Thats a neat little hype video, it has an air of dread filling the whole thing.

Fassbender's Americanish accent is pretty distracting though, or am I the only one put off by it?

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's
Quite liked it, although the call back to Kane's death was a little on the nose.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mike N Eich posted:

Thats a neat little hype video, it has an air of dread filling the whole thing.

Fassbender's Americanish accent is pretty distracting though, or am I the only one put off by it?

His stilted diction is quite intentional.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

dont even fink about it posted:

His stilted diction is quite intentional.

Indeed.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Why can't more marketing be like that? That's brilliant poo poo which doesn't give anything away while making us like the characters.

Also yeah, the only bad thing was the " food ain't that bad" line for line, otherwise it's great.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

i heard that was fake but changing their logo was insanely dumb anyway.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I think part of it is just Ridley Scott's production company (what was his and his brother's :( ) and his connections make something like that more feasible to schedule and actually make that happen for anything its even loosely involved in. Like there's this infamously bad video game, Driv3r, it's awful, total trash, EXCEPT Tony Scott directed like a ten minute short film about it in the same style as Domino to introduce people to the game's world. Like I think Scott just has the $$$ and passionate people to work with that it's not a huge deal, otherwise you'd think every movie not set in the present day would have some kind of thing like this as part of its marketing to drop on YouTube.

But I think part of it is also a smart way to focus one's marketing. Like we get this cool compacted shot of what our characters are like instead of, say, a super poorly done prequel comic book mini-series or whatever.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Its also probably nice to be able to shoot an extended scene like that without having to worry about where to drop it in the movie where it won't gently caress up the overall pacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Great short and even the brief character development gives me hope that the alien fodder won't be one-dimensional.

Could have done without the "is he gone yet?" line, unless he was teasing Franco's character on his way out the door.