Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My mother was named after a posh bloke and my nan was so poor and badly educated she couldn't read that the nurse had written down the male spelling of a name. Poor people with aspirations and dreams have always given kids posh names in the hope that they will better themselves, and are fully aware that no one called Tyson Kyle will ever work at the stock exchange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Is that what happened to Tristram Hunt?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I'm pretty sure most voters in stoke or any where don't constantly conduct brown paper bag class tests on their mp's like this thread is obsessed with. The failure of labour in stoke is that they just didn't give a poo poo and assumed every one would keep voting for them as has been said.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

Why? Was travel more accessible to the working classes then? The need to find employment less?

in some ways travel was more accessible. you could hitchhike, and the need to find employment was a little lower as costs of living were relatively lower, especially for things like rent - coupled with the fact that you would likely be living with you parents longer, university education was free, as were dentists - then yeah, in some respects it would be easier so long as it was accessible by boat or car. picking up casual work was easy compared to today, from post WWII right up to the mid sixties unemployment rates were a lot lower than they are today.

e/ and low unemployment rates - as you will know pissflaps - put more power in the hands of the workers, because it is harder for capitalists to fill their jobs.

now we have - post thatcher - planned levels of unemployment to help keep wage inflation down, and the working classes worried that if they loose their job there will be many people ready to take it, for lower pay / benefits.

so yeah, the need to *find* employment may have been less, but the *ease* of finding it in a new location would be greater than it is today, the risk of travelling lower.

JFairfax fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Feb 23, 2017

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

in some ways travel was more accessible. you could hitchhike, and the need to find employment was a little lower as costs of living were relatively lower, especially for things like rent - coupled with the fact that you would likely be living with you parents longer, university education was free, as were dentists - then yeah, in some respects it would be easier so long as it was accessible by boat or car. picking up casual work was easy compared to today, from post WWII right up to the mid sixties unemployment rates were a lot lower than they are today.

I don't think Jeremy hitch hiked to the Caribbean for his working class gap year.

Free dental care is an excellent and relevant point though.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
you can pretty much hitch a ride on a merchant navy vessel, even to this day it's a pretty cheap way of travelling long distances if you're not worried about getting there quickly

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Baron Corbyn posted:

Does being named "Jeremy" make you posh? My uncle's named Jeremy, I'm sure he'll be delighted to hear that he's reached the upper echelons of society.

It's not posh, it's solidly middle-class. I've never met a scaffolder called Jeremy.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Sounds like a wizard adventure Jeremy. Back home to the Manor House for lashings of ginger beer.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's not posh, it's solidly middle-class. I've never met a scaffolder called Jeremy.

Middle class is posh.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Entirely possible you know, it wasn't always mandatory for girls to go to school and most of our illiteracy figures come from elderly ladies. My nan did learn to read with the first grandchild in her late 50s, there are stories about how she would sit with my cousin on her knee and they would both be reading the same A is for apple picture books together.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

JFairfax posted:

you can pretty much hitch a ride on a merchant navy vessel, even to this day it's a pretty cheap way of travelling long distances if you're not worried about getting there quickly

It's actually easier nowadays because there are websites devoted to matching people up to cargo ships going their way, rather than you having to walk/ring around shipping agents on the off-chance.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

goddamnedtwisto posted:

no, they'd probably go by Jez

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
okay. so.

pissflaps, what is your definition of Working Class?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

no, they'd probably go by Jez

Haha definitely this.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

okay. so.

pissflaps, what is your definition of Working Class?

Why do you want my definition of working class?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
it's useful to define terms so everyone knows what they're actually talking about.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pissflaps posted:

Sounds like a wizard adventure Jeremy. Back home to the Manor House for lashings of ginger beer.

Middle class is posh.

Nah, posh is upper class, where the names loop back round to being working-class. Harry could be a scaffolder or he could be fourth in line to the throne, but just like there are no scaffolders called Jeremy there aren't any Dukes called Jeremy.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's actually easier nowadays because there are websites devoted to matching people up to cargo ships going their way, rather than you having to walk/ring around shipping agents on the off-chance.

My aunt spent 8 weeks going from the UK to Australia via Singapore after she was told she couldn't fly for a year, and it cost £10 a day to live amongst Eastern Europeans on a cargo ship. She now speaks passable Russian and a few of them spent Christmas with her family on the beach.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
who wants to see the view from my work window i just posted it in another thread its pretty dismal

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Nah, posh is upper class, where the names loop back round to being working-class. Harry could be a scaffolder or he could be fourth in line to the throne, but just like there are no scaffolders called Jeremy there aren't any Dukes called Jeremy.

No. You may be middle class yourself and uncomfortable with the description, but as a working class person I've encountered plenty of middle class people I'd call posh. You don't have to be a hereditary peer to be 'posh'.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jose posted:

who wants to see the view from my work window i just posted it in another thread its pretty dismal

yes.

is it a collection of pissflaps' posts?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
is this a particularly dismal day?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Ed :(

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

JFairfax posted:

is this a particularly dismal day?

its pretty bad yeah

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Other than Sadiq there it almost treads like a least - most powerful list.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Man. Not a single unlocked door. No barefoot children chasing a hoop down the road with a stick. Nothing. I bet you can't even hear "Roll Out the Barrel" being sung at the local.

Dismal.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The first casualty of Storm Doris has happened :( . RIP my neighbours TV areal which is currently hanging perilously over his car.

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009
was yougov founded by tories does anyone know

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Kokoro Wish posted:

Man. Not a single unlocked door. No barefoot children chasing a hoop down the road with a stick. Nothing. I bet you can't even hear "Roll Out the Barrel" being sung at the local.

Dismal.

there is a siren that goes off every now and then and i have no idea why and can't find anything by googling

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jose posted:

its pretty bad yeah

have some pictures from the cat circus I went to

the eagle eyed amongst you may have noticed that it is actually a ground hog that is ringing the gong

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The greatest deceit of government was making people think that class is based on occupation and not the source of your income.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

hand-fed baby bird posted:

was yougov founded by tories does anyone know

Do you suspect they're fiddling the figures to make Labour seem less popular?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Namtab posted:

The greatest deceit of government was making people think that class is based on occupation and not the source of your income.

unironically this, it's amazing really how effective it's been.

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

Do you suspect they're fiddling the figures to make Labour seem less popular?

No

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The 'Britain' selection from Pantone.

Namtab posted:

Also high up on the list is the Thatcherite deceit where they claim that government is inherently harmful and then go on to prove it.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Huh, I never realised it was that kind of name. I didn't really know any middle class people until I went to university. My aunt has always fancied herself a bit of a social climber, maybe his solidly middle-class name is what attracted her.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

How does rank?

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
How is everyone coping with Storm Doris?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Fascinating and sobering analysis, related to our conversation this morning.

quote:

Labour’s core vote ebbs and falls but the fall in Labour’s working class support in the last 18 months has been catastrophic. Jeremy Corbyn may claim to represent the working class but they do not agree. Under his leadership, working class support for Labour is down to 23 points: the lowest it has ever been.

Since September 2015, Labour has gone from 5 points ahead to 15 points behind the Tories among C2DEs.

Some might argue that this fall was largely driven by Brexit (or even by the Labour coup) but the big change came in the first two months of Corbyn’s leadership.

Working class voters looked at Corbyn and made up their minds in the first two months .On the left, in September 2015, 32% of C2DEs had no opinion on whether Corbyn was doing a good or bad job. Only 30% thought he was doing a bad job. By November 2015, only 14% didn’t know. 63% thought he was doing a bad job.

Some might like to pretend Corbyn is a working class hero.

We're not buying it.

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Feb 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
is tony blair working class?

• Locked thread