Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

blackguy32 posted:

I don't know. I think this does both Ellison and Perez a disservice. Ellison because if he is elected Party Chair, policy isn't really going to matter. Perez because the party chair position isn't really something you can have a debate about. It's like debating with someone on purely administrative work.

I mean, I think Perez has a lot skills that aren't gonna be shown here and Ellison has them too. For me though a big part of this job is being able to talk to people and the media is really important.

mcmagic posted:

The Mayor of South Bend should probably run for congress or does he think a gay man can't get elected in Indiana?

I think he's setting him self up for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Finally! Thank loving god for Ronan.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
IDK why people who run state democratic parties who never win anything run for national chair.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

mcmagic posted:

IDK why people who run state democratic parties who never win anything run for national chair.

She wants us to give up racial justice nearest I can tell.

Office Pig posted:

Finally! Thank loving god for Ronan.

He's an annoying poo poo.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

She wants us to give up racial justice nearest I can tell.

He's saying some things that need to be said up there. Perez, OTOH, gave us a "Bbbbbut what about the GOOD lobbyists?" spiel.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

ClancyEverafter posted:

He's saying some things that need to be said up there. Perez, OTOH, gave us a "Bbbbbut what about the GOOD lobbyists?" spiel.

That wasn't his point. He was trying to point out that's not really clear what is and isn't a lobbyist, and that there are people who aren't "technically" lobbyists but absolutely are lobbyists.

Ronan is in way over his drat head.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Turn your monitor on.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Perfect Potato posted:

Turn your monitor on.

I am not running for DNC Chair.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I mean, I think Perez has a lot skills that aren't gonna be shown here and Ellison has them too. For me though a big part of this job is being able to talk to people and the media is really important.

True, at this point, the only thing I question is should we be putting someone that apparently everyone loves for policy reasons into a position that doesn't deal with policy. Not to mention that being party chair seems to be a political dead end.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

It got Kaine up to VP nominee!

Dean probably could have got back in the game rather than go lobbyist.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

snyprmag posted:

It got Kaine up to VP nominee!

Dean probably could have got back in the game rather than go lobbyist.

Eh, he was pretty much out of a job without moving; also Obama came really close to picking Kaine in 2008.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I really hope Keith just gets this tomorrow and I never have to hear about this stupid thing ever a-loving-gain.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

fsif posted:

I really hope Keith just gets this tomorrow and I never have to hear about this stupid thing ever a-loving-gain.

You know that if Keith gets it eventually he will do something that will piss off the burnouts and they will demand his head.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

fsif posted:

well i'm pretty sure this is the only internal democrat political thing until the 2018 election season

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

karthun posted:

You know that if Keith gets it eventually he will do something that will piss off the burnouts and they will demand his head.

If he fucks up then I hope they do! ☺️

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I don't know what is best for the DNC as a party, but I'm convinced the best strategy to further my ideology is to copy the teaparty playbook almost to the letter.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

karthun posted:

Why are you making GBS threads on the most engaged, best policy wise, wing of the party?

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

The Kingfish posted:

If he fucks up then I hope they do! ☺️

That's the thing though, any political leader will make mistakes. Risks are good and not all of them will hash out. People are going to be expected perfection from either Ellison or Perez and neither of them will deliver it.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Hillary sucked rear end. She sucked so much rear end that people are still reeling from it. If you're still blaming Bernie for your own politically warped gently caress ups then you still have a lot of soul searching left to do.

Hillary's problem was that like Dale Earnhart, she couldn't turn left.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Crowsbeak posted:

Hillary's problem was that like Dale Earnhart, she couldn't turn left.

No. Her problem had nothing to do with policy. People hated her personally and didn't trust her.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

karthun posted:

That's the thing though, any political leader will make mistakes. Risks are good and not all of them will hash out. People are going to be expected perfection from either Ellison or Perez and neither of them will deliver it.

If he promptly apologizes and corrects course after receiving feedback then I'm sure we'll be merciful. It's kinda how politics works.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

please dont hold politicians' feet to the fire, then all of our politicians will have burned feet

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

its important that politicians be able to make decisions w/out worrying what constituents want or think

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

No. Her problem had nothing to do with policy. People hated her personally and didn't trust her.

Well that too.

Calibanibal posted:

its important that politicians be able to make decisions w/out worrying what constituents want or think

Didn't Sir Humprey Appleby say that?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Just to touch something earlier tonight. Regarding the 2010 Tea primaries...

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

They had the chance to unseat Harry loving Reid.

Hi, I'm from Nevada. Nobody had a chance to unseat Harry Reid. The other alternatives was this lady who literally suggested bartering for health care (who had still more skeletons in her closet regarding how she strong-armed people into signing a document pinky swearing to never unionize) and also the kind of likable but totally inexperienced son of a famous local coach.

So, don't use Reid/Angle as a deterrent against red-meat candidates in the primaries.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

The Kingfish posted:

If he promptly apologizes and corrects course after receiving feedback then I'm sure we'll be merciful. It's kinda how politics works.

But again, these are risks. Some of them will take years to produce fruit, many of them will not. A 50 state strategy for example is going to lead to a bunch of Reps more like Colin Peterson then Keith Ellison everywhere between the Mississippi River and the Rockies. You are already starting to hear grumbling with Senator Heitkamp. So whats going to happen when the DNC has to work with her to get reelected?

Calibanibal posted:

When your constituents want tax cuts, increase spending and a decrease in the deficit then yes, politicians have to be able to ignore some aspect of their constituents demands.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!

Kilroy posted:

If I burn down your house, is the county prosecutor also getting in the way of a generous settlement, if I offer you a fiver to let me off the hook?

Yes, we can't prosecute criminals, it makes them sad and then they'll donate to Republicans instead of us.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

JeffersonClay posted:

I wish our party had been smart enough to stay organized with lesser evilism and was less concerned about our candidate's purity of virtue, that's exactly what I've been saying for months.
Tell me more about how we need to rake leftists over the coals for trying too hard to push the party left, but folks like Manchin and Heitkamp are A-OK for doing whatever the gently caress they want.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

Kilroy posted:

Tell me more about how we need to rake leftists over the coals for trying too hard to push the party left, but folks like Manchin and Heitkamp are A-OK for doing whatever the gently caress they want.

There isn't any leftists in West Virginia and North Dakota to push Manchin and Heitkamp to the left. University of North Dakota is basically all of District 42, they elected a Republican State Senator and two Republican State Reps and voted against Berniecrat Chase Iron Eyes for Federal House Rep. You have college students voting for Republicans and you think there is a going to be a rising leftist tide in North Dakota?

If you want a 50 state strategy you are going to have accept a hell of a lot more people like Manchin and Heitkamp. If you want to target someone go after Senators Feinstein and Caper, go after the 50 or so Rep's who are more conservative then their district. Don't go after Collin Peterson, after he is gone that seat will always go red.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

karthun posted:

There isn't any leftists in West Virginia and North Dakota to push Manchin and Heitkamp to the left. University of North Dakota is basically all of District 42, they elected a Republican State Senator and two Republican State Reps and voted against Berniecrat Chase Iron Eyes for Federal House Rep. You have college students voting for Republicans and you think there is a going to be a rising leftist tide in North Dakota?

If you want a 50 state strategy you are going to have accept a hell of a lot more people like Manchin and Heitkamp. If you want to target someone go after Senators Feinstein and Caper, go after the 50 or so Rep's who are more conservative then their district. Don't go after Collin Peterson, after he is gone that seat will always go red.

I can agree with this. I honestly don't even think some of these people lose anything by simply switching their party to Republican. At least if we keep them under the banner, they can at least vote on the Democrat side for key pieces of legislation.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!
Eh you can pressure Manchin on poo poo he does that's bad and unpopular in his state like giving blow jobs to Wall Street and putting the people who caused the financial crisis in the cabinet, (assuming for a moment the Democratic party became interested in doing this) while letting him do whatever on guns.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

VitalSigns posted:

Yes, we can't prosecute criminals, it makes them sad and then they'll donate to Republicans instead of us.

VitalSigns posted:

Eh you can pressure Manchin on poo poo he does that's bad and unpopular in his state like giving blow jobs to Wall Street and putting the people who caused the financial crisis in the cabinet, (assuming for a moment the Democratic party became interested in doing this)

Well I mean come on, if you actually fix those things the S&P 500 index fund might not grow as hard and fast and certain retirement dreams of a complete lack of shitgiving might not come to pass. Think of the precious upper middle classman.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

Eh you can pressure Manchin on poo poo he does that's bad and unpopular in his state like giving blow jobs to Wall Street and putting the people who caused the financial crisis in the cabinet, (assuming for a moment the Democratic party became interested in doing this) while letting him do whatever on guns.

Manchin doesn't have any real classic Wall Street affinity; but as someone on the ground we are pressuring him on poo poo like his Sessions and Mnuchin vote, while also being cognate of his support for ACA. We're planning on a townhall for congressional leaders where we're hoping to both thank him for that support, and also have a number of different groups explain why they are disappointed in his other platforms. So yes, this is happening.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Playstation 4 posted:

Well I mean come on, if you actually fix those things the S&P 500 index fund might not grow as hard and fast and certain retirement dreams of a complete lack of shitgiving might not come to pass. Think of the precious upper middle classman.

Precious upper middle classmen here includes every union member with a pension.

VitalSigns posted:

I don't think anyone disagrees with this strategy. We should push bad dems as far as is politically tenable in their district, but recognize some of them aren't ever going to be perfect.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

JeffersonClay posted:

Precious upper middle classmen here includes every union member with a pension.

Having a 401(k) does not make you a capitalist. The Democratic Party is corporate-friendly because it is a party for rich people, just like the Republicans.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Fiction posted:

Having a 401(k) does not make you a capitalist. The Democratic Party is corporate-friendly because it is a party for rich people, just like the Republicans.

It doesn't make you a capitalist but it absolutely makes you care how fast the stock market grows.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

JeffersonClay posted:

It doesn't make you a capitalist but it absolutely makes you care how fast the stock market grows.

Focusing on the stock market in any political capacity is how we get poo poo like "America is Already Great" and unprecedented losses at state levels where that sweet Wall Street cash isn't rolling in.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Fiction posted:

Focusing on the stock market in any political capacity is how we get poo poo like "America is Already Great" and unprecedented losses at state levels where that sweet Wall Street cash isn't rolling in.

Remind me, how is this related to the DNC Chair race?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://medium.com/@MattBruenig/who-gains-from-dow-20-000-ba07555e5f12#.zhgv06v0o

insanely (unsustainably!) high stock market values barely benefit anyone but the top decile of equity owners, including 401ks, mutual funds, IRAs, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

emdash posted:

https://medium.com/@MattBruenig/who-gains-from-dow-20-000-ba07555e5f12#.zhgv06v0o

insanely (unsustainably!) high stock market values barely benefit anyone but the top decile of equity owners, including 401ks, mutual funds, IRAs, etc.

Right, but to Joe Q Voter, that doesn't always play that way because of decades of stupidity.

• Locked thread