Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Amanda is voiced by Emma Stone for some baffling reason so they probably couldn't justify cutting her

That would be the person in question I was referencing but for some reason I was thinking Tara Reid but knew that was wrong. Thanks helpful goon. But yes she was brought in presumably to boost the profile of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Don't you just unlock collectables visible on your minimap from the dating stuff, anyway? I didn't really think about them at the time but those missions were really out of place. I remember just wanting to get back to punching dudes.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Yardbomb posted:

Sleeping Dogs is such a good game, but yeah having replayed it again recently, the dangling threads on the game are just so blatant in some places. :smith:

My favourite is how it introduces and resolves a plot thread involving your boss being corrupt during the ending cutscene.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Amanda Cartwright (Health Shrines will appear on the minimap)
Tiffany Kim (Jade Zodiac Statues will appear on the minimap)
Not Ping (Security Cameras will appear on the minimap)
Ilyana (Lockboxes will appear on the minimap)
Sandra (Unlocks races in Victoria's Peak)

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I'm really loving sick of the labyrinth in Path of Exile, and I'm double sick of having to restart the entire loving thing if I die. I'm also really tired of not even knowing what killed me half the time I die in this game. I was going fine, then I took all my health in damage and died. Do the entire tedious slog over again. gently caress off.

I was running a map and there was this one pack of enemies that I guess summon totems when they die? And I killed all but one at once, so I immediately got vaporised by balls of lightning everywhere. I have no idea what I was supposed to do about it other than knowing they'd do that ahead of time and avoiding them - I died in under a second - but it was hilarious enough I didn't even mind.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I don't know if this counts, really, but I think that I'm playing two consistently added-to and maintained idle/clicker games, to the point where most are ruined for me.

Zombidle and Realm Grinder are rich with content and improvements beyond the basic make-numbers-go-up-and-restart schema, that every other one I experiment with reveals its just a reskin of Adventure Capitalist/etc way too quickly.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
Playing through mgs3 right now and I must say what's dragging it down for me is having played all the ones before it. I've just gotten to the part where you get told how to get to the big bad base and have to backtrack - and to be honest it's boring me.

There's almost 0 of that classic metal gear over the too cheesy emotional stuff. Every environment feels dark and grimy and lacks spirit. Naked snake is bland as gently caress as a character, at least raiden and solid snake had personalities and verbally grappled with issues but naked snake is just like "got a mission to do boop beep".

Mgs1 had a story with beats that worked perfectly and never kept you bored, mgs2 diverged a bit but poo poo happened and kept your attention. Mgs3 is like "time to crawl through jungle portion 12. allright, took down dude with bees. Ok passed through another forest. Allright bland warehouse time. Allright dark tunnel time. Allright swamp time." And the codecs are snooze fests.

Maybe it gets better, but for now I don't understand why it's said to be the best?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

You just seem to dislike literally everything people like about the game.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Dragon Ball Fusions:

aaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH Why is everything so reliant on RNG? It takes so many resets at the move machine to get a specific move for a specific character so I can fuse him with my main character, that I end up spending three days not actually playing the game just to get this move! Even then, I aimed for a different move to get so I could trade that for the move i needed! And then of loving course after I fuse my character and Super Saiyan Super Trunks together, I get four copies of the move that I needed! Well, guess I'll spread the love! Another big problem with RNG is rifts. After a certain point in the game, you gain the ability to spawn rifts by beating a team of enemies, that lets you fight a random team of characters, some unique like Raditz or Turles, or even fused teams like Turtz or Arale 18. If you beat a second group of foes near the rift, and trigger the rifts at the same time (which isn't a complicated thing to do), they'll merge into an S rank rift, and if you beat a third enemy before doing so, a G rank rift. The problem is you can't control what special team will spawn, meaning you'll fight the same bunch of enemies over and over trying to get Vegeta. Oh, wait, I got vegeta, but it's the wrong kind of vegeta! I needed the Battle Suit vegeta, not the Whis Suit Vegeta! I just want to fuse him with Yamcha, why does that need to be so complicated?

edit: Oh yeah, you find Battle Suit Vegeta at the same floor as Whis Suit vegeta.

spit on my clit has a new favorite as of 07:28 on Feb 22, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Kontradaz posted:

Playing through mgs3 right now and I must say what's dragging it down for me is having played all the ones before it. I've just gotten to the part where you get told how to get to the big bad base and have to backtrack - and to be honest it's boring me.

There's almost 0 of that classic metal gear over the too cheesy emotional stuff. Every environment feels dark and grimy and lacks spirit. Naked snake is bland as gently caress as a character, at least raiden and solid snake had personalities and verbally grappled with issues but naked snake is just like "got a mission to do boop beep".

Mgs1 had a story with beats that worked perfectly and never kept you bored, mgs2 diverged a bit but poo poo happened and kept your attention. Mgs3 is like "time to crawl through jungle portion 12. allright, took down dude with bees. Ok passed through another forest. Allright bland warehouse time. Allright dark tunnel time. Allright swamp time." And the codecs are snooze fests.

Maybe it gets better, but for now I don't understand why it's said to be the best?
Serious question; are you actually playing MGS3? MGS3 starts you off in some pretty neat looking jungles and you go all over the place from there compared to MGS1's grey military compound and MGS2's oil refinery type place which they never left. And then you say the game isn't cheesy at all, the same game where the characters have long conversations about godzilla, vampires and ghosts.

Kontradaz posted:

Naked snake is bland as gently caress as a character
He's a gun sperg and will eat and avidly talk about eating every living creature in the game. Even the parrot. How can you poo poo on Naked Snake while singing the praises of Raiden, a character so bland his only characterization came entirely from the NPCs telling him who he was until he got his body cut off.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"Got a mission to do boop beep" is only the central conflict within the character of Naked Snake and, by extension, the whole game, and his actions resulting from it shape the entire series.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The newest Resident Evil is entirely 2 Spooky for me

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Also given where you said you are in the game you have yet to hit some juicy happenings so give it a little more time, least until you get to the fortress proper. Also when you get a chance wear a box and make a few calls.

oldpainless posted:

More like Old Spineless?

Also yes, it is 2 spooky for me too. :ohdear:

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

oldpainless posted:

Just wait until you try the VR version. :smugdog:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So I've been playing Bloodborne again, and I'd forgotten about this dickhead, Amygdala:

In the regular game this is a pretty intense boss. He's aggressive, quick, casts magic and unlike a lot of other bosses has a pretty solidly armoured body from the neck downwards, so unless you hit that big squishy face of his the fight will take a lot longer than it normally does. The saving grace is that he has a relatively small health pool and you fight him somewhere that's fairly open, giving you room to move around in.

However, you fight another version of this boss in the games Chalice Dungeons, and this single encounter is almost all the game's flaws in one room:

- Your health points are cut in half, and Amygdala himself is buffed up significantly.

- The arena is much smaller so you nearly always in range of his attacks, but at a certain point in the fight it rips its own arms off and practically doubles the range of its punches and spells so there is nowhere to get some breathing room.

- The camera will flip its poo poo when you're locked on as it keeps clipping through Amy and the arena walls, something made even murkier by the fact you're fighting a grey monster in a grey room with a busy outline, but no sky to contrast him against unlike the original encounter.

- If you aren't locked on then the camera flips out anyway and you can't identify the wind-up animations, and see what he's about to do next.

- A lot of his attacks will "tic" for damage twice, so you are hit once and then take a second portion of damage almost immediately. The CD version does so much damage you are guaranteed to be killed by a single attack, including an incredibly frustrating over-head slam that kills you while your character is still reeling on the floor from the initial hit. Almost every other boss' combos give you some small degree of mercy invincibility when you're on the floor, or have just enough time between blows to dodge away from them.

- Because of his vastly increased hit points the battle takes a very long, very tedious time and is completely reset when you are inevitably killed. It's the single worst case of making a boss "challenging" by dragging the encounter out to an unreasonable degree while you can be killed in a couple of seconds.

It's telling that almost all advice for dealing with this guy involves exploiting a flaw in his AI (you can bait him into doing headslams which is one of the handful of attacks that leaves his face vulnerable), or simply building your character in such a way as to use ranged attacks and spells that, again, exploits the AI as Bloodborne's enemies just don't know how to handle that sort of thing. Amygdala is a terrible, awful slog of a boss encounter and I hate the fact this thing is mandatory if you want to unlock the highest level dungeons. There's nothing fun about him.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Shatter PVP mode in FF14 is incredibly unfun. Hell, pvp as a whole is unfun. Healers cannot dps, so they're just sitting there healing. If someone is being healed, its pretty much impossible to actually kill someone. Especially healers, who also get an ability to basically be invulnerable for 10 seconds. It feels like everyone is far, far too durable while at the same time feeling like you got cheap shotted cause the only other way to kill someone is to instantly kill them by stunning them and then using your limit break. Which still hits even if you sprint far away. Oh and sprint doesn't use TP, meaning classes who use TP can easily catch up to magic users at no downside to them should the magic user want to sprint away. Use a bind on them? They'll use purify, EVERY class has purify, to get out of it and continue chasing. I can see why they had to make an entire event around pvp to try and get people to actually play it.

But shatter is the worst cause its a 72 player clusterfuck so you'll either have someone offscreen ram you, stun you then one shot you or the 8 healers standing in the back will constantly ping everyone from 5% to 100% before you can actually finish them off. And of course its the only one everyone plays cause with so many players they don't have to worry about making or breaking the team.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Feonir posted:

All of the dates were going to be part of a larger relationship minigame / system but had to be cut at the last moment when funding dwindled and release dates approached.

I think you can even buy clothes with some kind of ladykiller bonus which doesn't do anything. Why didn't they patch out the mention of the bonus :iiam:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Just played a little bit of Puzzle Dimension and remembered why I gave up on it years ago. It's a fun game, I enjoy working out the puzzles, but it's entirely too easy to gently caress up completely with a single errant keypress and then you have to restart the level. An "undo last move" feature would make the game immeasurably better.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Leal posted:

Shatter PVP mode in FF14 is incredibly unfun. Hell, pvp as a whole is unfun.
It feels pretty unfinished in general. They obviously don't focus on it much.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Pokemon Go made one of my favourite Pokemon arbitrarily way rarer than in the main series. :mad:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

AlphaKretin posted:

Pokemon Go made one of my favourite Pokemon arbitrarily way rarer than in the main series. :mad:
You think that's bad? Wait til you hear what they did to the gameplay.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

AlphaKretin posted:

Yeah, we all loved Magikarp.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
"We nuked Russia in the first 30 mins of gameplay"

-Ho hum, god this game is loving boring. :effort:

Enter The Gungeon, why do you punish me for taking the shortcut to a lower dungeon? Sure, you sometimes give me a free gun (or two, or three) depending on how far done I go, but killing the boss on that level doesn't give me any special currency to buy unlock other guns/things to find in the maze?

Also, the spawn rate for the secret bullet unlockable character is low enough but its really annoying when a dying enemy is flung towards them and explodes, killing them too. It doesn't count for my required sightings/total and it takes forever to spawn.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

2house2fly posted:

My favourite is how it introduces and resolves a plot thread involving your boss being corrupt during the ending cutscene.

Doesn't he shoot a dead body with someone else's gun so he can tie them to the murder at the end of the shooting tutorial? That's not exactly upstanding police work.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sunswipe posted:

Doesn't he shoot a dead body with someone else's gun so he can tie them to the murder at the end of the shooting tutorial? That's not exactly upstanding police work.
Yeah, you pretty much know from the start that he's sketchy.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
He's also the sole Brit in-game. :v:

Did they ever explain that? Game was stuffed full of people speaking Cantonese elsewhere.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Did they ever explain that? Game was stuffed full of people speaking Cantonese elsewhere.

I think his file says that he was a transplant who was using the position as a stepping stone for INTERPOL.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Sunswipe posted:

That annoyed me too. His fingerprints are gonna be all over the drat gun, Wei's as well.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sleeping Dogs kept taking away Rico's grenade launcher from me. That was more or less the only thing dragging the game down for me, I could really only use it to blow up the neighbors on my way to being a good police officer. :v:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Sleeping Dogs kept taking away Rico's grenade launcher from me. That was more or less the only thing dragging the game down for me, I could really only use it to blow up the neighbors on my way to being a good police officer. :v:

This is a common thing especially with what I assume are the DLC guns. I just want to run around as Adam Jensen-Wei but it's 50-50 if I leave my car still carrying the fletchette rifle that I entered with. Luckily you can still beat people with fish so I don't mind too much.

There was one time when I manually ran across the map cause it was still quicker to carry the rifle to the mission so I could mow down ten guys in 20 seconds rather than spend 5 mins kung-fuing my way through them.

jojoinnit has a new favorite as of 16:42 on Feb 22, 2017

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Anything larger than a pistol is usually dropped in some action, getting into cars, getting a pork bun or melee weapon etc.

On the PC version at least if you press down arrow you can holster pistols and SMG's to take into vehicles and missions, anything large and Wei will fling it on the ground in a tantrum.

Also side note grenades have wonky physics in sleeping dogs if you make contact directly on a person seen here in my very own video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV0qF0KfWco

Pay close attention to the police bodies.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

poptart_fairy posted:

Pendrew was probably in the force from before the transfer, and it didn't affect his job. Also, the game takes a lot of inspiration from Hong Kong cinema, and having Brits in administrative roles is not uncommon.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
naked snake obsessively shaving off the side of his pistol grip with his knife is still the funniest thing about him.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

mgs3 is best played by calling everyone on your codec after every single action, and every once in a while arbitrarily saving the game and resetting the system

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

im pooping! posted:

mgs3 is best played by calling everyone on your codec after every single action, and every once in a while arbitrarily saving the game and resetting the system

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Leal posted:

Shatter PVP mode in FF14 is incredibly unfun. Hell, pvp as a whole is unfun.
I once left my game running for half a day in a PVP queue and never got into a game.

I quit FF14 like a day later because the whole game just stops being fun once you run out of pointless story back and forth bullshit.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Just finished Tiffanys "story arc" in sleeping dogs and I was kinda amused that the only reward for doing the whole thing was the police report so I could finally find out who the hell she was.

It's funny, if this was cut content that was added back by fans with the understanding that we were just getting a glimpse into some gameplay that never got completed ala Vampire Masquerade I'd be fine with it but the devs keeping this stuff in the final game just feels weak. It's basically just a bunch of conversations and cutscenes that make no sense to the player as presented.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Kontradaz posted:

There's almost 0 of that classic metal gear over the too cheesy emotional stuff...

It's gonna get there. Most of the plot after the prologue mission is piled into the back half of the game. I don't understand not liking the environments or codecs but to each their own i guess.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Nuebot posted:

I once left my game running for half a day in a PVP queue and never got into a game.

I quit FF14 like a day later because the whole game just stops being fun once you run out of pointless story back and forth bullshit.

There is an event right now where they both up the currency payouts for pvp and put in new gear to use said currency on, so people are actually bothering with it. But man, I can see why otherwise no one plays it. Also one more problem with pvp: More buttons. One of my gripes for Heavensward is the hotkey bloat. SO BOY OH BOY DON'T I WANT TO DEAL WITH *MORE* KEYS FOR PVP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
While we're kind of on the subject, MGSV: TPP is great but:

- The boss fights. The Metal Gear Solid series has for a long time had memorable and creative boss fights. I mean, who could forget the man in the gas mask who could read your memory card, the morbidly obese explosives expert who ran around on roller skates whilst sipping wine through a straw, or the 100+ year-old photosynthetic sniper who could occupy multiple game areas at once? MGSV... doesn't really have any of that. True, you do fight a literal flame demon in a unique setting (an abandoned African post-imperial industrial zone) where the gimmick is you have to try and douse him with water, but apart from that you're limited to fist-fighting an annoying child and taking on squadrons of blank, silent supersoldiers (the primary antagonist is stepped on by Metal Gear in a cutscene, if you can believe that). To add to the disappointment, you're really encouraged not to fight said supersoldiers on your first playthrough, rather you're just supposed to run away and lose them... and when you're actually forced into a direct fight with them in mission 29, you'll wish you could run away from them, as they're just big bullet sponges who you simply have to shoot/blow up whilst avoiding their attacks. Fighting this game's version of Metal Gear isn't much better, though it is a bit more intense on extreme mode. EDIT: There's also a sniper battle that is okay.

- Unlike in MGS3, where you had to eat all the animals to sustain Snake's stamina, in MGSV you get the opportunity to extract many lovable critters from the combat zones in aid of an environmentalist NGO! And what's more, they eventually get their own pad in the form of an oil rig zoo, which you can visit any time you like! Awesome. Except, you don't actually get to see half the animals you can capture. How does this work? Well, you get your R&D guys to supply you with special capture cages, which you then place at very select places on the main maps (i.e. you look up a Youtube video telling you exactly where to put them if you really care that much). When you leave the map you get a message telling you which animals you caught, and they get added to your database. You don't get to see them in the game world, nor do you get to see them in your zoo. Oddly this includes all the snakes, but even more dishearteningly it also includes some cute pussy cats. Like several other things in the game, it reeks of something they planned to implement more fully but didn't get a chance to before all the shenanigans went down.

- Some of the bonus mission tasks are particularly trying. One of the best examples, involving a classic video game error, takes place in mission 14, where you have to infiltrate an enemy camp and extract a certain prisoner. There are several prisoners at the camp who are all about to be interrogated, and one of the bonus tasks is to listen to all four interrogations. This in itself is a bit janky, as the camp is quite big and you will likely find yourself waiting for the dudes to get there whilst they walk around in circles, but it's particularly bad because the soldiers are made to kill the prisoners after their scenes are finished. Can you see where this is going? (guard kills a prisoner, guard sees dead prisoner, guard puts base on alert thinking you did it and you have to reload, hoping it doesn't happen again) Also, it's a plot point in this mission that the prisoners are British, yet they speak with typical American accents... and, in a great line reading, one refers to a character known as The Viscount as The Viz-count. There are a couple more tasks like this, which thankfully you don't need to do unless...

- You're going for 100%. If you're like me and you're a dork who has nothing better to do at the weekends, getting 100% in MGSV is actually quite doable (despite what I said above, most of the bonus mission tasks are quite fun, if you're not just being asked to pick a certain out-of-the-way flower or something). However, to get 100% you also need to collect all the blueprints, and this requires you to clear all of the main offline dispatch missions. Dispatch missions cannot be performed by the player, instead you send off a battalion of your troops to another part of the globe to accomplish a task which takes several real-time hours. The last few are given the S difficulty, meaning that even if you enlist only your top guys (who you almost certainly need online rewards to get a hold of) you'll still only have around a 65% chance of success. These missions are supposed to be played in the background, but if you're an idiot like me then you'll have done everything else already. I just went around trying to get all the codename emblems, which involved me killing so many people that Snake officially turned "bad", and now has full-body bloodstains he can't wash off. Yuck.

- Also everything else people have talked about a million times already (story, pacing, online nonsense, etc.).

I've been playing Dead Rising 2 recently, so I might put up some more draggings later.

Hedgehog Pie has a new favorite as of 11:32 on Feb 23, 2017