Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

https://twitter.com/figgled/status/834653286649065472

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Baloogan posted:

we got a google boot licker here

@EgoicLiving parachute spotted!!!!!!!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

google and facebook and all tgost big data companiea are neat beacuse the split fucmjb second they have a millennial in chage theyre gonna start weaponizing their data stores to change peopkes opinions on poo poo

theyll have fully mapped how humab personalitiwa and motivations work and start working to judge them into the shapes the company officers preferr

iyll own in a terrible way

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_O1RgGjCBc

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Zuckerberg would win POTUS running as either party just because he controls the information that like 75% of the country sees and it's deeply troubling

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

eveb if you avoud usibg evwty google setvice ever, theyll still be able to figure you out from first principeks using piblically abailable info

and face to bloodahet

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

Zuckerberg would win POTUS running as either party just because he controls the information that like 75% of the country sees and it's deeply troubling

disproportionately affecting olds, too, because facebook is for grannies

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

Epic High Five posted:

lmao yeah right, alex jones would defeat him easily

not only is that 100% true but it's also far more troubling and horrific

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Squizzle posted:

Even if you avoid using every Google service ever, they'll still be able to figure you out from first principles using publicly available information.

[Dehumanize yourself] and face to bloodshed.

The same is true of nearly every tech company with a large amount of long-term user data. Like when a large payment processor acquires a social payments startup and their investigations teams start cross-referencing contact and payment info to bust carders and meth dealers.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

like when lex luthor became president

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

punchymcpunch posted:

like when lex luthor became president

man what a weakass stoeyline

lutjor as mayor of meteipolus wouldve been a better conxept

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!
On the one hand, Zuckerberg is less immediately dangerous than Trump. On the other hand, I think I would actually hate President Zuckerberg more. Zuckerberg is a functioning adult whereas Trump I feel is on the verge of being unable to be held accountable for his actions due to mental illness.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

they certainly do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwjEeI2SmiU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

FAUXTON posted:

The same is true of nearly every tech company with a large amount of long-term user data. Like when a large payment processor acquires a social payments startup and their investigations teams start cross-referencing contact and payment info to bust carders and meth dealers.

whats a carder

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!
The ideal storyline would actually be Luthor attempting to destroy Superman's faith in humanity by convincing people to vote for a platform of pure self-destructive spite.

:geno:

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Hodgepodge posted:

On the one hand, Zuckerberg is less immediately dangerous than Trump. On the other hand, I think I would actually hate President Zuckerberg more. Zuckerberg is a functioning adult whereas Trump I feel is on the verge of being unable to be held accountable for his actions due to mental illness.

techbros are infinitely more scary because they're aggro-libertarian, no silicon valley dweeb is gonna use gay people or race as a dividing issue, but they will without fail institute a system where stem-lords (WHO ARE ALMOST ALL WHITE GUYS BY SHEER ACCIDENT) will be given reign to disrupt the country in their image.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Tech may be somewhat trustworthy as a ruling class AFTER the venture capital bubble bursts AND a few of their mansions get burned down by displaced labor, but at the moment it's terrifying to consider

And they control all information flow so a Zuckerberg could win for sure

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hodgepodge posted:

He's not mentally ill in the sense that the hero Hinckley was diagnosed as mentally ill for almost saving the world. He's mentally ill in the Charlie Manson or Ted Bundy sense. Yes mentally ill but fully aware of what he's doing, why he's doing it, and fully bereft of any remorse for the harm he causes.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

FAUXTON posted:

He's not mentally ill in the sense that the hero Hinckley was diagnosed as mentally ill for almost saving the world. He's mentally ill in the Charlie Manson or Ted Bundy sense. Yes mentally ill but fully aware of what he's doing, why he's doing it, and fully bereft of any remorse for the harm he causes.

in college i played john hinckley jr in our production of assassins and my secret character motivation was that it was really about killing reagan

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i also downloaded taxi driver cause, y'know, scripting. good movie tho

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT6LFOIofRE

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z64HCi2rQkE

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i also got the part cause i kinda look like john hinckley and i can play guitar

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Besides you lead a winding road
There're some troubles make you stumble
But you're gonna beat them all
Loner girl is hard to crumble
I know, I know
Ain't no one who can touch your heart
But baby
Please let me see you crying

You're sort of square
Why don't we ditch that class?
It's time to chill out
I know you're not a person who would get excited and shout
The sky above your thick cloud is not so gritty but pretty

Keep your faith
Raise your lively face
Just get rid of your broken wings
You're strong enough by now
I'll be your spark when you're lost in the dark
And let me be your sun, be your match to
Light your heart up

and i must meme
Jan 15, 2017

shiksa posted:

techbros are infinitely more scary because they're aggro-libertarian, no silicon valley dweeb is gonna use gay people or race as a dividing issue, but they will without fail institute a system where stem-lords (WHO ARE ALMOST ALL WHITE GUYS BY SHEER ACCIDENT) will be given reign to disrupt the country in their image.

the ussr was mostly run by engineers, ie. stemlords

makes you think

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

stemlords should be the name of the council of dudes who elect Swamp Thing

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

and yes naturally theyre ALL dudes and theyre ALL green

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H5zXh6MVvg

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

wow thats a perfect choice for a swamp thing theme

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i thnk dwamo thijg consults w a parloamrny of trees, matve the stemlords would be the upper chamber

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

swamp thing to replace freedom kids for trump 2020 campaign theme

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

i was just considering Ready Player One as the next book I read, but like every positive review was by someone who started out saying "NERDGASM BAGINZA" or "80'S NERD CULTURE MASTERPIECE" with a trash garbage *wave avatar and I was like, lmao naw

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
ive worked for loads of engineers and the super technical sperglords who don't have any people skills generally don't loving get anything done

the engineers who come out to the work site and combine technical knowhow with historical knowledge and a respect for the working guys get like, poo poo done

like 5% of what engineers do is engineering, 95% is like, handling poo poo.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Gonna add Oryx and Crake as the next one, so that at least if it sucks it will suck uniquely

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

hillary is baaaaad for sure

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Epic High Five posted:

i was just considering Ready Player One as the next book I read, but like every positive review was by someone who started out saying "NERDGASM BAGINZA" or "80'S NERD CULTURE MASTERPIECE" with a trash garbage *wave avatar and I was like, lmao naw

i thoutht ready player one was absollutely poo poo and im a vaporwave nut :/

its not a good book

im reading the algebrayist by banks and holy gently caress this is a good book :3:

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

my wife liked it and i like her and she borrowed it from my best friend so i guess its ok unless i gotta look over a lotta personal poo poo

e: thank you for reminding me about oryx and crake i got that reccd to me even before nuclear holocaust was soemthing the president talked about

still gotta finish shogun tho, gently caress... maybe ill try and do that this weekend,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Baloogan posted:

i thoutht ready player one was absollutely poo poo and im a vaporwave nut :/

its not a good book

im reading the algebrayist by banks and holy gently caress this is a good book :3:

quote:

On vuosi 4034. Ihmiskunta on osa galaktista yhteisöä, jonka hermorata on valoa nopeamman siirtymisen mahdollistava, aika-tila-avaruutta halkova madonreikäverkosto. Sitä hallitseva imperiumi, Merkatoria, on liittänyt itseensä kaikki kehittyneet lajit paitsi vihaamansa tekoälyt ja omalaatuiset, kaasujättiläisissä asuvat Asukit. Mutta haavoittuvainen madonreikäverkosto on supistunut suuresti tekoälyjä vastaan käydyssä voittoisassa sodassa.

Asukit ovat galaksin vanhin ja pitkäikäisin laji. He ovat nautinnonhaluisia, turhamaisia, rehvakkaita, äkkipikaisia ja täydellisen itsekeskeisiä. Ja väitetään, että miljardien vuosien varrella nämä arkkiboheemit juhlijat ovat oppineet puolustamaan itseään tehokkaasti. Galaksin miljoonista asutuista kaasujättiläisistä vain muutaman Asukit suostuvat olemaan yhteydessä ulkomaailmaan. Yksi niistä on Nasqueron jossa Hitaiden Näkijä Fassin Taak työskentelee.

Yli kaksisataa vuotta sitten Fassin Taak löysi Nasqueronilta jotain, jonka seuraukset ravistelevat nyt koko galaksia. Hänen kotiaurinkokuntansa madonreikäportti hävitettiin, ja nyt sitä uhkaa tuhoisa sota. Fassinin kauan sitten tuoma aineisto antoi kuitenkin lisää tietoa jo miljoonia vuosia huhutusta Asukkien omasta, salaisesta madonreikäverkostosta, joka voisi pelastaa kaiken. Paitsi, jos se paljastuu vain tyypilliseksi Asukkien kerskailuksi, niin kuin kaikki ovat uskoneet. Hänen on mentävä uudelleen Nasqueronille ja löydettävä lisää tietoa. Fassinilla on kiire, mutta Asukit ovat Hidas laji...

Banks on Algebraistissa parhaimmillaan, hän luo paitsi suuria linjoja myös pieniä yksityiskohtia: uskottavia, mutta kummallisia (ja humoristisia) olioita, toisiinsa kietoutuneita ihmiskohtaloita, loputtomia juonenkäänteitä ja silkkaa taituruutta.

“Muotti, jonka mukaan tuleva science fiction tullaan määrittelemään.” – The Guardian

“Vuoden scifi-tapahtuma...” – Book Description

“Runollinen, humoristinen, hämmentävä, hyytävä, seksikäs...” – Time Out

“Banks on ilmiö.” – William Gibson (less)

A pretty solid GoodReads review if I've ever seen one. Reminds me of My Summer Car which makes me immediately enjoy it

• Locked thread