Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This is only really loosely related to PS4, but does anyone else get irrationally angry when they see thumbnails for that god awful Gameranx "before you buy" Youtube channel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

This is only really loosely related to PS4, but does anyone else get irrationally angry when they see thumbnails for that god awful Gameranx "before you buy" Youtube channel?

yeah. who is that guy in the suit with his hands up?

that channel is all really annoying clickbait lists too. they have one ok presenter, the guy who uses his real name, but the other guy calls himself Falcon or something and talks in a really frustrating way all the time that makes him hard to watch.

idk how they have millions of subs.

of course complaining about the way youtuber reviewers use bad affectations when they talk is easy pickings. and of course no one is more annoying that this dreamcast guy that ends every sentence with hard emphasis on the last word

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDgEe9PzDCk

the best of the review focused youtube channels is the ACG guy imo but i find his schtick really tiring too.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 23, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ACG guy is thorough, maybe too thorough and not particularly charismatic but he's the best to watch for games you literally know nothing about.

Easy Allies are really the only review source I genuinely like these days.

I think that suit guy is just some stock photo they can lazily make click bait thumbnails from.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Looke posted:

Oh right, I have BF4, is there anything standout about BF1 that means I should get it?

I loved Bad Company 2, and kinda bounced off of 4 and I love 1. Overall I think it's just a real solid Battlefield game. Map design is good, guns feel great, teamwork is fun, the usual stuff. I like that 1 offers a unique setting compared to previous games in the series that gives it a chance to explore some weapons and gadgets that change up the formula a little bit. Weapons between classes feel more distinct. Overall it's a really solid package that I'm really happy with.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think the setting is what has put off on getting 1. Don't get me wrong I think it was really smart that they did that but personally I'd have rather seen it go sci fi or something even though it would be generic as hell. That and battlefield is just more of a commitment than I want to put into a MP game right now. I'm still always on the fence though because I love battlefield.

I'll probably get it in a few months after all the good game releases dry up and I'm sick of TF2.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I love bf1 but it seems really light on maps. Gets a bit repetitive.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I love bf1 but it seems really light on maps. Gets a bit repetitive.
What's their map addition strategy anyway? Paid map packs like before that no one will ever use?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea they're still doing the premium thing with map packs. idk how it's integrated tho since I don't own the game

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

I live in Florida; I have a US address. That's not the problem.

Whatever; I'll wait for them to sort out their poo poo like the rest of the e-commerce retailers. I haven't turned my PS4 on in months, had to sit through hours of network configuration and system updates, and yet what I was trying to accomplish was to buy a game on PSN that I already own on Steam because I wanted to play it with a controller. Maybe the game is on XBL.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you could probably play that game with a controller on pc tbh

especially if you have an xbox since you don't need anything special to make one of those controllers work

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Samurai Sanders posted:

What's their map addition strategy anyway? Paid map packs like before that no one will ever use?

They added one free map but yeah the rest is paid dlc. I never once got to play the bf4 dlc maps on a populated server, even when they were free.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The DLC maps only had a heathy population for about 2 weeks. Such a shame because a lot of them were good. I hear they changed how the servers work but idgaf it was too little too late.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

I live in Florida; I have a US address. That's not the problem.

Whatever; I'll wait for them to sort out their poo poo like the rest of the e-commerce retailers. I haven't turned my PS4 on in months, had to sit through hours of network configuration and system updates, and yet what I was trying to accomplish was to buy a game on PSN that I already own on Steam because I wanted to play it with a controller. Maybe the game is on XBL.

yeah maybe you should check

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Maybe the PSN is just trying to help you out by not letting you buy a game you already own. You know you can play Steam games with a controller right?

Like drat man 10 bucks is nothing to sweat but you could just go plug a controller into your PCs usb port and light a ten on fire if it makes you feel better.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

it took him hours to update his ps4 and he couldn't use the web store because of the monster, please respect this mans struggles and let him move on

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I just bought Ys Origin again despite owning it on Steam because I want Falcom to have all my money

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

I just bought Ys Origin again despite owning it on Steam because I want Falcom to have all my money

It has a weird audio glitch where some bosses after you die and retry there are no sound effects. Otherwise its still that same great game. Bring on 8!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I got one where the water area background noise carried on into the fire one but super loud and it was very annoying, a reset fixed it though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

The DLC maps only had a heathy population for about 2 weeks. Such a shame because a lot of them were good. I hear they changed how the servers work but idgaf it was too little too late.

they get what they deserve with the paid maps tbh

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am seriously considering buying the Hong Kong version of Nier Automata to play it now

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

I've never watched them, what's bad about them

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I also bought Until Dawn. when it was on sale. Haven't played it yet. How scary is it?
Last of Us and Bloodborne are fine for me.

Edit: as much as I want to play Nier. I can wait. 2 weeks gives me some time to go through my backlog

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Until Dawn has a few jump scares and a lot of gore but I don't think it's really that scary, I felt a lot more affected (both in terms of existential dread and gameplay tension) by those other two games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Until Dawn is a fun homage to like every teen horror movie made in the last 35 years and has some good jump scares but I wouldn't call it particularly scary.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am seriously considering buying the Hong Kong version of Nier Automata to play it now

Be very careful you don't accidentally get the Chinese version releasing in two months as there are two versions of the game on the store.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Awesome. That was the only thing holding me off. I can watch stuff like Friday the 13th and Evil Dead. But Paranormal Activity 1 scared the poo poo out of me. It's embarrassing but I couldn't sleep for a week. Didn't help that I didn't know it was a scary movie. (saw it a sneak preview in Amsterdam years ago)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sefal posted:

Awesome. That was the only thing holding me off. I can watch stuff like Friday the 13th and Evil Dead. But Paranormal Activity 1 scared the poo poo out of me. It's embarrassing but I couldn't sleep for a week. Didn't help that I didn't know it was a scary movie. (saw it a sneak preview in Amsterdam years ago)

Until Dawn is very much on the Slasher side of horror. And will reward/punish accordingly if you play to the big glaring invitations to follow Slasher Film cliches :allears:.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

So that's my reason why the ME:C soundtrack is way, way better. And now I'll gently caress off. :)

Please do not, this is an awesome post and all threads do well with posts like this in it.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Is the Prototype collection any good, I remember those games being pretty fun.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

fit em all up in there posted:

Is the Prototype collection any good, I remember those games being pretty fun.

It's apparently a very mediocre remaster.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

VideoGames posted:

Please do not, this is an awesome post and all threads do well with posts like this in it.

:cheers:

here are some popular activities that have been extensively field-tested while listening to that soundtrack:

ingesting drugs
riding bikes
reading books
long train/plane/car trips
drawing/painting pictures
mopping floors/washing dishes
sex with human adults
eating potato chips
cobbling shoes

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah I got Yakuza 0 yesterday, I only played about an hour but the combat feels really laggy and unresponsive so far, even in Rush style. Like I'm trying to do combos, hit Square 2 or 3 times followed by Triangle, but he doesn't do the knockdown move. Maybe I'm just going wrong with the timing, I'll have to play around with it a bit more.

Also is it just me or is the karaoke stupidly difficult? Like when you get to the end of the 2nd row of inputs and have to return to the start of the first row but whoops in the millisecond that it took you to focus your eyes you missed 3 inputs. I don't know why they couldn't just have the inputs scroll along the bottom of the screen or something. I feel like it just generally goes very quickly and expects you to hit a lot of different inputs. It probably doesn't help that I still sometimes forget which buttons are which on the Dualshock.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Manatee Cannon posted:

they get what they deserve with the paid maps tbh

Maybe the devs but it sucks for players. Everyone knows paid map packs splinter the playerbase and relatively few people play them. TF2's free map with paid superficials is a more consumer-friendly approach but unfortunately the game didn't sell as well as BF1 so the player pop is stagnating anyway. I guess it's working out for Overwatch though so that's nice.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Regarding download time, is the PS4 Pro an improvement over the PS3 when it comes to downloading games/movies/etc.? I remember it taking an extremely long time for the PS3 to download demos. I ask because there the way I have things set up now, I can only do wireless internet.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

what I was trying to accomplish was to buy a game on PSN that I already own on Steam because I wanted to play it with a controller. Maybe the game is on XBL.

Download DS4Windows, tick "Hide DS4 Controller" in the options, then connect your DualShock 4 to your PC via cable or bluetooth

Congrats, now you effectively have a 360 controller hooked up to your PC and can play any game that supports XInput gamepads without any problems

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Max Wilco posted:

Regarding download time, is the PS4 Pro an improvement over the PS3 when it comes to downloading games/movies/etc.? I remember it taking an extremely long time for the PS3 to download demos. I ask because there the way I have things set up now, I can only do wireless internet.

if you live in America it's always bad

I don't and i get near-steam speeds

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I get 175Mbps down in Soviet Canuckistan and my wired Pro seems to download at about 30Mbps. Not great but tolerable.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

i was supremely disappointed when i just hit people with the salt shaker and didnt fling it in peoples eyes to blind them.

i had much more fun with the umbrella, but weapons are all really disappointing compared to beast style anyway

But you do!

https://clips.twitch.tv/artlessmeat/PreciousJaguarFailFish

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

New Battlefield 1 dlc will have operations and that has the potential to be way more interesting and populated than Bf4 dlc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

But I already have surgery sim