Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Here's a brief list of people who have posted orders since the last update:

- Aphid

- Jaguars!
- Perestroika

If you are not on the list and should be (because you have in fact posted orders but I missed them), yell at me below.

If you are not on the list and HAVE NOT POSTED ORDERS, then I have no idea what the hell you are waiting for.

Steinrokkan, I'm not sure if you can move while reassigning Saros and Sandman to your command, but if you do, please start considering where you want to relocate your HQ to. Even if we do not give up the eastern side of Pasteur just yet, we will do it eventually, and the only thing between you and a French brigade is Saros's three companies or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

To be fair I dont really have anything to tell my guys to do except be a speedbump.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tevery Best posted:

Steinrokkan, I'm not sure if you can move while reassigning Saros and Sandman to your command, but if you do, please start considering where you want to relocate your HQ to. Even if we do not give up the eastern side of Pasteur just yet, we will do it eventually, and the only thing between you and a French brigade is Saros's three companies or so.

Well, I need to be in town, so there's really only one option.

19th Division HQ
If, and only if, moving does not disrupt my current rolling for control of those brigades, move my token along the road to the very northern edge of St. Croissant, to a position within the town with access to telegraph lines. (hopefully there should be some free space left)

Otherwise delay execution til my current business is done, then commence.

Exception: If enemy is sighted within cca 10 inches of my hiding spot, ditch everything and move immediately.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Feb 23, 2017

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Perestroika posted:

78th Brigade Orders

Infantry, MGs, and Brigade Command
Retreat backwards into the woods in good order, continuing to present the formation's front to the enemy. Once no longer under fire, wheel about and move westwards towards Brioche, swinging a bit northerly. Once directly north of Brioche, split up and move to the indicated positions. Any unit shown adjacent to the city is to take cover in its outskirts.
Conditional: All units are to stay out of the range of the french artillery on La Ouef or Dejeuner Ridge. If that artillery moves northwards or new batteries appear at a more northerly position, all shown positions outside the city are to be shifted northwards until they're back out of range of that artillery.

Howitzer Artillery
Limber up and join the infantry's advance in roughly the same formation as the regular batle order. Under no circumstances is the artillery to move ahead of the infantry, when in doubt they're to slow down to let the infantry pull ahead. As shown below, two 15cms will take up position adjacent to 76th BDE's 7.7cm popguns northeast of Brioche, the other two will take up mirrored positions northwest of the town. The 10cm guns form up a line west of that. As usual, 2" of clearance are to be maintained to any units directly in front of the guns. If the infantry is shifted north as per the conditional above, the guns will follow suit, maintaining the same relative position to them.

Desired final positions:

(Batteries with a red dot indicate 76th BDE's guns)

Once all positions have been reached, switch to Defense Stance, start entrenchment, and dispatch a runner to report these orders fulfilled.

Standing Oders
When sighting an enemy in attack stance, keep moving along original path
When attacking the enemy, use rifle fire
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed, do not pursue
Break off automatically at 3/4 casualties

Perestroika, we want to reposition you to interdict Dejeuner with artillery and prepare for an assault under artillery cover.

These orders are a fallback to protect north of Brioche.

Your artillery, once it arrives (way too late to assist in our advance), would not even be able to fire on the already-spotted enemy cavalry, they do not accomplish what they are supposed to accomplish. Please amend.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Also, Sandman - if your plan of attacking their artillery calls for use of anything more than your single brigade, please do not attempt it, there is no way in hell we can coordinate enough units in the few hours we have before the deadline. This is not an indictment of the plan itself, but if it is anything that is difficult to coordinate, well, we are on a timer now.

HEY GAIL, please do not withdraw too far right now, shift over to the western slope of Pasteur to avoid having a duel with their eastern artillery units, but otherwise only start any withdrawals when Sandman does (coordinate with him, if possible, if not, you are authorised to fall back). Saros will probably be away from your left flank in two shakes, but if we position ourselves on the reverse slope, then you should have a few turns' worth of calm in that sector.

Also please please please speak up people.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I've been distracted by an unprecedented string of 70 degree days. Here, let me review our order of...

Well. No nation could sustain a long war with such losses; surely this conflict will end in short order. Our Teutonic Discipline will rule the day as we endure the sacrifice of our men while the French whither beneath our... remaining heavy weapons.

I'll review the spreadsheet and bring it up to date shortly.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1INxQ8FIG2UdpFbkeeluhARW_6p7jluTnTxDaG4httAc/edit?usp=sharing

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Im going to fall back in the face of the French artillery being manhandled up and try to setup to prevent anyone sneaking up on our Div HQ. I only have the TM and MG for firepower.

4th Bde orders

Move west and setup in the positions indicated south of Boculecourt, begin entrenching in said positions.

Standing Orders
When attacking the enemy, use rifle fire
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed, do not pursue
Never break off.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Also aphid please at least authorise Crazycryodude to move his artillery up to where it can fire at Dejeuner.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Tevery Best posted:

Perestroika, we want to reposition you to interdict Dejeuner with artillery and prepare for an assault under artillery cover.

These orders are a fallback to protect north of Brioche.

Your artillery, once it arrives (way too late to assist in our advance), would not even be able to fire on the already-spotted enemy cavalry, they do not accomplish what they are supposed to accomplish. Please amend.

Ah, alright. I was mostly going directly by aphid's orders, which implied a more defensive mindset. I'll put the artillery in a more aggressive position relative to the infantry, but there's not much room to go any further south without immediately coming under fire from the artillery already on L'Oeuf.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
That's just horse arty, which has a) more pressing concerns and b) about a wet fart's worth of firepower.

If you are very concerned about it, the One Simple Trick is to position your trench mortar *a little bit* ahead of the real guns so that it draws fire first.

EDIT: If crazycryodude pushes his guns forward, there's also quite a chance they'll be gone by the time you have your house in order.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

76th Brigade Orders

Switch the brigade out of defensive stance and begin limbering the FK's. Once the guns are limbered and ready to move, begin the assault on Breakfast Ridge. The FK's are to proceed to the positions depicted, within 18 inches of La Oeuf, and set up to fire. The rest of the brigade should continue advancing. The MG's and mortars should advance to the first level of the ridge, within 12 inches of La Oeuf, and prepare to fire. The mortars should be 2 inches from other chits to allow it a free field of fire. If enemies appear within range of the MG's/mortars before reaching the depicted positions, they should stop and fire on the new enemies instead of moving on. Infantry should continually advance on La Oeuf, using rifle fire until close enough to bayonet charge the cavalry on the hill.

Once the hill is cleared of cavalry, the infantry, MG's, and mortars should turn to face any other forces that may have appeared in the meantime, prioritizing enemies on the eastern part of the ridge.

If 4+ enemy artillery chits (EXCLUDING ARSE HORTILLERY) are spotted unlimbered and ready to fire on the ridge, break off.
If 18+ enemy infantry companies are spotted on the ridge, break off.

E: Don't limber up the mortars, manhandle them forwards, so they can fire without having to unlimber again.
E2: The FK's should only be moving for 1 turn. If they can't get quite to what I drew, oh well. I want them unlimbering on the 3rd turn of the impulse and firing on the 4th no matter what.

Standing Orders
When attacking the enemy, launch a bayonet charge
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed, do not pursue (changed)

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 23, 2017

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Sandman is unavailable, but he asked me to post the following orders for his brigade:

"take up position in Baguette with the trench mortar and MGs in the [eastern] outskirts AMENDED: put infantry in the eastern outskirts, MGs in the town touching them. MGs are to shoot at the french gunline if in range, infantry are to hold fire"

"do not leave town unless the french gunline moves within 8" of the infantry, in which case bayonet charge them"

"or unless French infantry charges the town, in which case counter-charge, then move back into town after the french infantry is broken or dead"

He also asked that Jaguars orders his cav to charge any French artillery coming from the east when it gets within charge range, but I do not know if Jaguars can legally issue an order to that effect (as it would be a conditional triggered while outside of his command range).

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 23, 2017

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

He can certainly try!

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Posting quickly via phone to say that a) I approve those provisional orders and b) Steinrokkan probably did a better job explaining my plan than I could.

Also, to give the observers some perspective on the Roll20 chat right now, an apropos quote I posted there: "My centre is giving way, my right is retreating, situation excellent, I am attacking."

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

78th Brigade Orders Revised v1.3 - thrice the élan, zero the life expectancy!

Preparations
The Brigade switches to attack stance. Howitzers limber and begin moving into a southwestern direction. Infantry and command wait for one turn upon receiving this order. Then they move southwest into Fraisechamps during the next turn, and then wait there during the third turn. During this move, they are to stay well out of range of enemy artillery, especially from the southwest.

Now, on the beginning of the fourth turn, there are two possible courses depending on enemy disposition on Dejeuner Ridge and l'Oeuf Hill, henceforth dubbed Fall Rot and Fall Blau (indicated by arrows of the appropriate colour on the map):
A. If there are more than 18 infantry companies or more than 4 pieces of unlimbered, deployed artillery heavier than arse hortillery up there: Proceed with Fall Blau.
B. If there are fewer than the named forces up there: proceed with Fall Rot
In case there are any discrepancies, follow the lead of 76th BDE above anything else. If they charge, go Fall Rot, if they retreat, go Fall Blau.

Fall Rot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L6HPUzi1_8
Sound the whistles, give the orders, sing the songs, and charge directly up Dejeuner Ridge in concert with 76th. Stay at 76th' left flank, and sweep away all those who would oppose you. Prioritise enemies not yet engaged by 76th BDE.

Desired final positions:

Once there, switch to defensive, dig in, and dispatch a runner for further orders. Howitzers are to stay limbered unless there's something within their line of fire to shoot at.

Fall Rot end.

Fall Blau
-The infantry, command, and MGs will back away from the current frontline in good order, then wheel about to move westwards. Similarly, the howitzers will them on the move west.
-Once northwest of Brioche, the brigade will form up in a linear formation as shown below. The guns are to remain limbered. The 15cms are to remain the requisite 2" away from forces directly in front of them.
-The next move depends on the disposition of the french forces on l'Oeuf and Dejeuner Ridge at the time:
A. The only artillery on the hill/ridge is arse hortillery: Move into the indicated southernmost position, unlimber the guns, and start blasting away. The final move into arse hortillery range should be done within just one turn. Artillery crews are advised to bring parasols to guard against french shells.
B. There is french artillery heavier than arse hoes on the hill/ridge: Bring the line forward until just outside of their artillery range and unlimber the guns there.

In either case, if at any point in time a battalion or more of enemy infantry comes within 10" of the line, the brigade is to stop right where it is, unlimber its guns, and engage.

Desired final positions:

Once the brigade comes to a stop and unlimbers its guns, switch to Defence Stance and dispatch a runner to report these orders fulfilled.

Fall Blau end.

Standing Oders
When attacking the enemy, bayonet charge
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed, pursue them
If things go well take all the credit
If it ends in a hideous failure blame General Best

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 23, 2017

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Trin Tragula posted:

He can certainly try!

Jaguars, it's up to you, if you make it on time. Make the call if you wish to charge the guns when they come into range or help cover the town.

Also, OPERATION LISBON IS GREEN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AniH_l_ViTE
(official theme of Operation Lisbon)

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Oh boy, looks like this update is going to be a lot more exciting than expected. Goonspeed to us.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

:siren: The adjudication begins...

The adjudication is over: results post pending...

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 23, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

:ohdear:

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
And now for another round of "is there absolutely anything that I should be doing before opening the thread hmmmmmm you know this room looks awfully dirty right now"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Battle reports are the first thing I open when I get to work, needless to say I've been looking forward to weekends lately.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I've been rewatching this scene from Gettysburg over and over again.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Tevery Best posted:

I've been rewatching this scene from Gettysburg over and over again.

Pretty sure this is me on the battlefield right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaU_VpMu0cE

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Homework assignment: every commander picks out a youtube clip that best describes their current situation and intent

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Tevery Best posted:

Homework assignment: every commander picks out a youtube clip that best describes their current situation and intent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWVFEVWJMz8

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Tevery Best posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8IAuli2PDU&t=2m22s

Although this is a bit more accurate for the situation as a whole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnHmskwqCCQ

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Tevery Best posted:

Feeling increasingly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9wcK6qvCqI&t=25s

e:

Perestroika posted:

Pretty sure this is me on the battlefield right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaU_VpMu0cE

Sorry about the impending

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 23, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Tevery Best posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH3-Gt7mgyM

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Trin, please tell the French to also do the homework assignment (please don't tell them what we picked so far)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGFvp3431iM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpHTeqlwTAM

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 23, 2017

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp43OdtAAkM

Turn 14: 1330
French initiative

The 5th Brigade inherits TheSandman's dice curse, failing to change its orders.

4th and 77th Brigades successfully pull back, as do the French opposite them. The 79th repositions, as the word goes out to the 76th and 78th to prepare to move.

The Jaegers become the first to run up that hill, charging the French cavalry on top!

The French arse hortillery takes down one of the Jaeger companies on its way in, but the rest advance to contact and send three cavalry companies fleeing as they retreat suppressed. Then the Jaegers' eyes flick left; another French brigade is climbing the hill to their left and halting for action!

Turn 15: 1400
French initiative

The big guns, silent for so long, are on the move again; the 76th and 78th begin their advance on Dejeuner Ridge.

The 5th Brigade fails to change its orders again, but 79th Division's cavalry has made it into Baguette.

The Jaegers charge again as their support moves up from behind and spots the extent of the French presence!

I consult the 76th and 78th's orders; there are only three guns on La Oeuf and fewer than 18 companies on Dejeuner Ridge; the advance will continue.

This time the French arse hortillery finds its mark and repels the charge, their commander laying down his own supporting fire. The French exchange rifle fire with the 76th, and the enemy gets the better of it.

Everyone tries to rally from suppression, knowing it could be the difference between life and death.

Turn 16: 1430
French initiative

Crazycryodude, his infantry marching, his MGs ready, his guns unlimbering.

Tias! When his men fell!

Jacques, his guns disabled, his heart stirred.

TheSandman, with boots of concrete, cursing the gods.

Turn 17: 1500
French initiative

Two German brigades summon up the courage, stiffen the blood, and cry "Gott for Harald, Deutschland, und Kaiser Bill!"

The guns fire; yours manage to score two suppressions against the left 75s (manhandled into place last turn); I accidentally put the suppression chits under instead of over the French guns and didn't notice; it's fixed at the end of the turn.

Your machine guns lay down vital supporting fire; the enemy's repel one company each as they charge.

French rifle fire forces back yet more of your men, but there are too many to kill them all...

Their hortillery lying dead, the surviving French arses fail a morale check and retreat suppressed; La Oeuf is yours, for the moment! On the eastern slope, the 78th has carved a path through the French right.

TheSandman finally catches a break and makes it into Baguette mostly intact, losing one company in the process plus one more suppression, though it rallies.

The overview. Control of Dejeuner Ridge could still go either way.

edit: steinrokkan's HQ has successfully relocated to St Croissant and will take over the 4th and 5th in two turns

Back at General Tevery Beste von Polieren's headquarters, the telephone rings. It's General Kuno's chief of staff, who wishes to point out that if you lose very slightly less than half your remaining forces (including any further reinforcements), the Army Commander will stop the battle and order you to break off and regroup to the rear.

You have lost 128 companies; the enemy has lost 117.

:siren: The next soft deadline is Saturday 25th at 5pm GMT.

Special Supplementary Horticultural Update

Your men are currently entrenching themselves at the following locations.

vvv just for the avoidance of doubt; yes, it's supposed to be there; yes, you are able to spot it, good thing you got up that hill alive! vvv

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 24, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Oh my. Dejeuner is going to be fun.

E: I notice you forgot to make any particular mention of the ENTIRE BRIGADE THAT HAS JUST APPEARED ON THE WEST EDGE OF THE MAP

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 24, 2017

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

The French are trying to dunk us!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

steinrokkan posted:

- Hey Gal's brigade is currently ordered to retreat, and because she is the only one up there with any long range guns, her leaving would force everybody else to follow, just to keep the French from picking them off with impunity....

- However, in order to protect this counterattack in any scenario, it would be optimal to have Hey Gal stay in her general area, where she, with Saros' help, would be uniquely placed to protect our flank from the French brigade(s) that are known to be loitering in the North, as well as to provide artillery fire at the gap between Baguette and the nearby forest, thus supporting defenders of the town against survivors of initial fighting in the area.
- Personally I think Hey Gal is absolutely a pivotal player in this gambit even if she shouldn't remain under the same command as Sandman for long, since she, once again, has all the significant artillery in that sector. Otherwise, I think it's a good idea that gives us an opportunity to clear by far the greatest threat to the stability of our flank, and I support it, albeit it's a dangerous plan for those involved as well.
the good news is i have been successful so far, but the bad news is my internet is still out at home, so until that gets fixed if there is a time crunch, aphid_licker can say what he wants me to do and yall can just assume that i agree with him

if you really really need me, my roommate is a goon but i don't want his name getting out, PM me for his name if you want to to PM him and he can get that on his phone

Tevery Best posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=milOPzbpWc8

Tevery Best posted:

Also, Sandman - if your plan of attacking their artillery calls for use of anything more than your single brigade, please do not attempt it, there is no way in hell we can coordinate enough units in the few hours we have before the deadline. This is not an indictment of the plan itself, but if it is anything that is difficult to coordinate, well, we are on a timer now.

HEY GAIL, please do not withdraw too far right now, shift over to the western slope of Pasteur to avoid having a duel with their eastern artillery units, but otherwise only start any withdrawals when Sandman does (coordinate with him, if possible, if not, you are authorised to fall back). Saros will probably be away from your left flank in two shakes, but if we position ourselves on the reverse slope, then you should have a few turns' worth of calm in that sector.
since i'm the only one up there with longrange guns, i see myself as the anchor/guard for any movements, am i correct?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

We need to talk about our horrible haphazard arse-over-teakettle charging problem

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

aphid_licker posted:

We need to talk about our horrible haphazard arse-over-teakettle charging problem

A B C :colbert:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Crazycryodude posted:

the ENTIRE BRIGADE THAT HAS JUST APPEARED ON THE WEST EDGE OF THE MAP
oh. rad

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
WE ARE WINNING THIS BATTLE

WE ARE ACTUALLY ON OUR WAY TO WIN

THERE ARE NO FRENCH ANYWHERE NEAR Q

by jove

Trin: can the cav in baguette see out to the SW?

Where is stein's hq?

What is the limber/unlimber situation of our guns on/north of dej and FR guns on dej?

EDIT: also does that red marker mean the French are done digging and are now less visible due to owning a trench? If it is a full trench and there were a unit with it, would we spot it with our infantry on Oeuf?

I am literally shaking with excitement

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 24, 2017

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
somebody post here to calm me down

or in roll20

somebody, anybody, I need to go to sleep soon and am manic as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Seeing as things have gone well, I am officially taking all the credit for the attack on Dejeuner. If it goes wrong, everyone go back to blaming General Best.

• Locked thread