Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Is miller actually gone now?? I thought he had more.

This cannot be answered without massive book spoilers either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I'm a big fan of the books and don't personally care about ~spoilers~ for myself, but really please quit posting major spoilers here, even with tags. I'm not a regular tviv poster so I don't know the norms, but I imagine they handled it better than this in something like the game of thrones thread. The show is way, way behind the books and you can really gently caress up some people's experience. There's an ok thread in book barn for you to talk about poo poo from later books. It's dumb as hell, everyone who asks "Hey does this happen?" could Google it if they actually wanted to know, and it doesn't serve any purpose but getting your tiny dick hard at the fact that you know something about a fictional setting that someone else doesn't.

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Feb 23, 2017

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Doors and Corners, Pharmaskittle. That's where they get ya.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Jesus Christ what a beautiful episode :stare:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I posted the answer so now we don’t have to have multiple posts openly admitting it’s complicated.

In the future, yeah, take it to the book thread.

If you have a dying need to know the answer to something particular but don’t want to risk seeing spoilers for everything in the book thread, I’ll answer PMs.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I'm glad a binge watched up to this point last weekend.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

That episode was great and must've cost like 1/3 of their CGI budget.

Pharmaskittle posted:

it if they actually wanted to know, and it doesn't serve any purpose but getting your tiny dick hard at the fact that you know something about a fictional setting that someone else doesn't.

You posted this unironically.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I never joke about tiny dicks

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Pharmaskittle posted:

I never joke about tiny dicks

The low gravity of Belter stations doesn't let em hang as low.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
yeah that was a great ep all around

miller is a badass and also kind of creepy wrt to Julie Mao, honestly

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Pellisworth posted:

yeah that was a great ep all around

miller is a badass and also kind of creepy wrt to Julie Mao, honestly

He really is a grade A creep, but he's a terrible broken alcoholic who hates life and the universe too.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
chasing Julie's ghost is the only thing keeping him going, cut him some slack.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Miller is real easily the best character in the show so far, which is saying a lot considering Amos and Avasarala.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Pharmaskittle posted:

Miller is real easily the best character in the show so far, which is saying a lot considering Amos and Avasarala.

Thomas Jane is killing it but Miller as a character...ehhhhh

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Pharmaskittle posted:

I'm a big fan of the books and don't personally care about ~spoilers~ for myself, but really please quit posting major spoilers here, even with tags. I'm not a regular tviv poster so I don't know the norms, but I imagine they handled it better than this in something like the game of thrones thread. The show is way, way behind the books and you can really gently caress up some people's experience. There's an ok thread in book barn for you to talk about poo poo from later books. It's dumb as hell, everyone who asks "Hey does this happen?" could Google it if they actually wanted to know, and it doesn't serve any purpose but getting your tiny dick hard at the fact that you know something about a fictional setting that someone else doesn't.

Yeah can we get a just general no book spoilers rule for this thread like the Game of Thrones one? Even people's non spoiler spoilers are giving way too much away.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Is miller actually gone now??

Hopefully.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

That was a drat good episode of space television

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I really hope you're wrong :( It's on/owned by Netflix outside of North America and I honestly have a lot of optimism for it!

If Netflix has a stake in it, well, they've certainly rescued shows with less critical praise. I was sure Longmire was dead for instance and they saved that, though that was a weird situation where it was actually getting really good ratings for its network but it was the dreaded olds watching it. I wouldn't mind them taking control and keeping everything else the same, just changing who's signing the proverbial paychecks.

It's hard to imagine it leaving with it being so pretty and so much more book material to draw from, but I suppose stuff like that happens all the time. Far more shows only make it one or two seasons than get full and satisfying runs.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Now that was an episode. I really liked the scene between Julie and Miller. I know it's really creepy because he's obsessed with her, but I do like that he found some solace there, and that Julie - or the thing that thought like Julie and had her memories and personality, however you might view it - did so too.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Well, so much for the best actor in the show :(.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Well Syfy also renewed 12 Monkeys for a 3rd season, while most fans thought it was to be cancelled for sure.
The thing was that in the last few episodes of season 2 the quality rose sky high, so some SyFy exec must have defended the show fiercely to renew it.

I've hated Syfy for almost a decade (After Firefly and SG:U cancellations), but they're slowly winning back my favor.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Evernoob posted:

I've hated Syfy for almost a decade (After Firefly and SG:U cancellations), but they're slowly winning back my favor.
6 episodes left on my current rewatch.

Armilla
Jun 17, 2005
London calling
Ready to enjoy the new episode like the irredeemable nerd that I am:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://giant.gfycat.com/FelineExcellentHorseshoebat.mp4
https://fat.gfycat.com/FaintGreatBluetickcoonhound.mp4
https://zippy.gfycat.com/FatRadiantGilamonster.mp4
https://giant.gfycat.com/SmoggyBestColt.mp4
https://giant.gfycat.com/JubilantSoulfulDamselfly.mp4
https://giant.gfycat.com/SizzlingBronzeCrocodileskink.mp4
https://fat.gfycat.com/CircularArcticHuman.mp4

While watching, I felt like there weren’t as many jiffable scenes as previous episodes, but there turned out to be plenty.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Feb 23, 2017

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I think the biggest difference between book and show Eros was that the former pushed the angry nightmare world angle. Book Eros was filled with moving half-formed humanlike monstrosities, and was reflected in the iconic Julie scream when Eros first woke up. TV Eros was more mysterious and beautiful, and was reflected by the blue filter over all the scenes shot inside. A shame no semblance of the scream made it in, but I suppose the writers felt that it didn't fit.

Similarly, the brief paragraph long plot about the non-backwards compatible OS that will take place at the start of CW is basically guaranteed to not make it in to next episode.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Phobophilia posted:

I think the biggest difference between book and show Eros was that the former pushed the angry nightmare world angle. Book Eros was filled with moving half-formed humanlike monstrosities, and was reflected in the iconic Julie scream when Eros first woke up. TV Eros was more mysterious and beautiful, and was reflected by the blue filter over all the scenes shot inside. A shame no semblance of the scream made it in, but I suppose the writers felt that it didn't fit.

It feels like they wanted to keep the Julie reveal to this episode, where that scream might have made it a bit too apparent?

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Evernoob posted:

Well Syfy also renewed 12 Monkeys for a 3rd season, while most fans thought it was to be cancelled for sure.
The thing was that in the last few episodes of season 2 the quality rose sky high, so some SyFy exec must have defended the show fiercely to renew it.

I'm thrilled 12 Monkeys got a 3rd season I seriously figured it was done, as well as KillJoys. The death of SGU was a tragedy especially since it started to really shine towards the end but I think it got hosed by being guaranteed 40 episodes out of the gate. They didn't seem to feel too much need to hurry and we ended up with a ton of S1 garbage. Firefly however was Fox, SyFy is NBCUNI.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

The death of SGU was a tragedy especially since it started to really shine towards the end but I think it got hosed by being guaranteed 40 episodes out of the gate. They didn't seem to feel too much need to hurry and we ended up with a ton of S1 garbage. Firefly however was Fox, SyFy is NBCUNI.

Oh right... I often get the channels wrong as I'm forced to watch everything online anyway.

SG:U first season was fine for the first few "crisis of the week" episodes (the dual episodes "Darkness" and "Light" were terrific) but they should have advanced more quickly in the main storyline regarding the cosmic broadcast etc. The whole Lucian Alliance ship takeover sideplot lead to nowhere. But as you said they indeed probably thought they had at least 5 seasons so they didn't want to go too quickly.

Bummer. Well they can always pick up the series again at a later date, say 5000 years have passed all with different aged actors. (people still age slowly in the stasis pods, ref SG:A.... yeah I know, not gonna happen)

How much is Syfy advertising the Expanse this season? More than last season?
I don't think it was aired in many countries so I don't think anyone really knows about this marvellous show.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
So Miller got undressed at the end because he was going to try to get Julie pregnant with a proto/human hybrid? How was that going to to work because it didn't look like she had any genitals left. Theres also a chance that dragging the nuke around sterlized him, but maybe the aliens can fix that.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

So Miller got undressed at the end because he was going to try to get Julie pregnant with a proto/human hybrid? How was that going to to work because it didn't look like she had any genitals left. Theres also a chance that dragging the nuke around sterlized him, but maybe the aliens can fix that.

:yikes:

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

:goonsay: Season 1 already sterilized him and Holden.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I wonder why they totally eliminated the horror aspect of the protomolecule. The inside of Eros is a complete loving nightmare hellscape in the book, not a pretty glowing crystally thing. Good episode anyway.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Missionary Positron posted:

Well, so much for the best actor in the show :(.

At least his and Faivre's characters went out with a bang:

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

I wonder why they totally eliminated the horror aspect of the protomolecule. The inside of Eros is a complete loving nightmare hellscape in the book, not a pretty glowing crystally thing. Good episode anyway.

TV is trying to recover from a zombie overdose. That's why.

If Earth is so severely overpopulated with most ppl living on Basic. Why are we only seeing the top 1% in their luxurious villa's?
I think the "poorest" people we've seen so far in their home were Holden's kibbutz parents. I want to see the slums or arcologies or whatever they've built to house 30bil people.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Kassad posted:

At least his and Faivre's characters went out with a bang:

Uh, that's not what sex looks like.

Grand Fromage posted:

Possibilities: It would have been really expensive to do well. They thought horror was played out and wanted it out of this show as a passing theme that wouldn't last. Or they thought glowing "tech" looking things would work better for suspension of disbelief for the magic tech demonstrated by Eros given the limited time to set this stuff up and support it.

I was surprised they changed the Venus impact so much, but I can see why they did that.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

TV is trying to recover from a zombie overdose. That's why.

If Earth is so severely overpopulated with most ppl living on Basic. Why are we only seeing the top 1% in their luxurious villa's?
I think the "poorest" people we've seen so far in their home were Holden's kibbutz parents. I want to see the slums or arcologies or whatever they've built to house 30bil people.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Being cynical, it's probably because they think viewers wouldn't be able to distinguish slums on Earth from the Belt.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Yeah, every scene with the Protomolecule stuff has me thinking about budgetary constraints.

Did Miller try and gently caress the Protomolecule in the books? Like I know he was super creepy about Julie but I don't remember her/it reciprocating like that...?

Also kind of a casting spoiler rumour maybe sort of probably: I thought I heard Elias Toufexis/Adam Jensen was going to reappear this season? Expected Miller to run into a Protomolecule version of him in those corridors. Am I just totally mistaken?

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
We also don't have any characters from there. There are probably lots of cool places and stories we're not following. And about 39 billion terribly uninteresting ones too. It's just a function of what the auteur wants to portray. We don't, for example, following the harrowing stories of any Martian HR Managers.

I'm not saying those aren't valuable stories. Lots and lots of stories have the problem of creating a world view where only the most powerful people are responsible for directing the events. But the Roci's crew, and frankly, Diogo do a good job of illustrating the "regular schmo" angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
What DID Fred do with Earth's nukes? Wonder if you'd be tempted to hit Venus with them JUST to make sure.

Also PROMOTIONAL SPOILERS: ep 6 (or more, since it says COMING WEEKS?) promo!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytq693c3xVw
Looking pretty hype.

• Locked thread