Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Let's all take a moment to be stunned that Thomas didn't see anything wrong with racism. :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Evil Fluffy posted:

Let's all take a moment to be stunned that Thomas didn't see anything wrong with racism. :geno:

Nah, that's Alito, Thomas just doesn't think that whether something is racist has any bearing on jurisprudence and, more generally, believes strongly that consequentialism is for wimps. :v:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Wise man, good things, bad things, loving moron, etc.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Wise man, good things, bad things, loving moron, etc.

Truly an Evergreen Tweet

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Nah, that's Alito, Thomas just doesn't think that whether something is racist has any bearing on jurisprudence and, more generally, believes strongly that consequentialism is for wimps. :v:

Thomas actually does occasionally use antiracist and/or consequentialist arguments. For example, I think in an opinion in an eminent domain case, he pointed out the real-world implications of using "economic blight" as a justification for taking land to give to private developers.

He can be really myopic on criminal procedure issues, though.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Thomas joined the liberals (and was the deciding vote) in the case concerning license plates and the confederate flag, and wrote the only pure dissent in the cross burning case.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Silver2195 posted:

Thomas actually does occasionally use antiracist and/or consequentialist arguments. For example, I think in an opinion in an eminent domain case, he pointed out the real-world implications of using "economic blight" as a justification for taking land to give to private developers.

He can be really myopic on criminal procedure issues, though.

I had not heard of that one.

I knew he makes an exception for KKK-style terrorism though, and the related license plate thing.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

quote:

In his dissent, Justice Uncle Thomas wrote that to get to the ruling, the court “bulldozes procedural obstacles and misapplies settled law.”

... too far?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Jimbozig posted:

... too far?

Yes.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jimbozig posted:

... too far?

Yes, because the response is "liberal uses racist term against Supreme Court Justice"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yes, because the response is "So much for the tolerant Left"

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Uncle Thomas is a clever and appropriate criticism of Justice Thomas' quiet assent to the new Jim Crow.

There is nothing intolerant about drawing parallel between him and an era where out of sight, out of mind was the way disaffected, wealthy people could afford to ignore the plight of POC.

poo poo, the election of Donald Trump is partially a case study in disaffected, well-off individuals--right and, depressingly, left--placing....you know what gently caress it.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 23, 2017

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Justice Thomas is the best justice.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Potato Salad posted:

Uncle Thomas is a clever and appropriate criticism of Justice Thomas' quiet assent to the new Jim Crow.

There is nothing intolerant about drawing parallel between him and an era where out of sight, out of mind was the way disaffected, wealthy people could afford to ignore the plight of POC.

poo poo, the election of Donald Trump is partially a case study in disaffected, well-off individuals--right and, depressingly, left--placing....you know what gently caress it.

Actually, it's never OK to use a slur against a POC regardless of how mild it is. Call him ignorant, short-sighted, whatever. There's no need to make even mild racial attacks against him.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
This was a pretty good article regarding Clarence Thomas' dissent.

quote:

I’m not one to Black-check other Black people. I don’t like using phrases like “Uncle Tom” or “race traitor” or any insult that denies another Black person his or her Blackness. Blackness comes in many forms. Black people are not a monolith. But I would be remiss if I didn’t point out that when it comes to matters of race, Clarence Thomas consistently sides against Black people.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Yeah, as someone who has been accused of being a traitor to their minority group for my political views it'd be pretty great if we could just kinda not do that poo poo.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Sinestro posted:

Yeah, as someone who has been accused of being a traitor to their minority group for my political views it'd be pretty great if we could just kinda not do that poo poo.

Seems reasonable to call him out for consistently ruling against the interests of black people, the term traitor seems unfair though as it assumes that simply being part of a group should mean you have that group's interests first and foremost. Much like calling working people who vote to disband unions and for tax cuts on the wealthy class traitors doesn't really work as a persuasive or even necessarily accurate depiction of their actions.

Of course that assumes treason is kept as a purely legal concept, where you can only really betray your country/sovereign. Which I don't think is unreasonable although I could see people finding that problematic.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

MrNemo posted:

Seems reasonable to call him out for consistently ruling against the interests of black people

Except what he's actually doing is consistently ruling in favor of the rights adhering to all US citizens and limiting their government through their constitution.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Except what he's actually doing is consistently ruling in favor of the rights adhering to all US citizens and limiting their government through their constitution.

Ruling that a man whose own defence called a witness who said black people were more likely to reoffend (and thus justifying a death sentence) was adequately defended is protecting the rights of US citizens and limiting the government in accordance with the constitution? Well carry on I guess.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

EwokEntourage posted:

Thomas joined the liberals (and was the deciding vote) in the case concerning license plates and the confederate flag, and wrote the only pure dissent in the cross burning case.

I'm still stunned he joined the license plate majority

How the ?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

MrNemo posted:

Ruling that a man whose own defence called a witness who said black people were more likely to reoffend (and thus justifying a death sentence) was adequately defended is protecting the rights of US citizens and limiting the government in accordance with the constitution? Well carry on I guess.

Sure, a defense lawyer calling a witness who stated an inconvenient fact that was harmful to the defense doesn't seem to be covered by my copy of the 6th Amendment. Neither perfectly competent defense counsel who never make mistakes nor do overs for rogue(?) witnesses are constitutionally compelled.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
IANAL, but it seems like allowing demographic information to be considered in sentencing presents rather obvious due process problems.

With respect to the decision itself, after reading through Thomas' dissent, it looks like his objection is that the lower courts were correct in denying a hearing on technical grounds, and that the majority is choosing to ignore the law as it stands due to the charged and extreme nature of the case. I don't know enough about the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure to make a judgment about the merits of his argument, but it seems grossly unfair to characterize it as being motivated by racism.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Thomas ignored things like the law also assumes/requires that your defense, you know, actually defends you. Also he's just outright assuming the testimony wasn't a factor in the death penalty decision and that the trial court wasn't wrong in making the same assumption. In this case the defense actively worked against him by bringing in an 'expert' to give a literal Around Blacks Never Relax statement to hurt the defendant. I hope the lawyer involved gets disbarred at the very least because what he did was beyond unaccepta...

the article linked above posted:

(Guerinot’s incompetence is overwhelming, even more so when you consider that he tried 36 death penalty cases over the course of his career and lost every single one of them.)
:stare:

This person really needs to be investigated because I get that lawyers can be really bad yet somehow keep their jobs but come on. Has anyone looked in to his other cases to see if he'd potentially sabotaged his clients in those as well?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I'm still stunned he joined the license plate majority

How the ?

He didn't write anything, and while I didn't listen to the oral arguments, I'm just going to assume he didn't say anything. He likes to parrot the "colorblind society" idea but it's pretty clear he doesn't like the confederacy or the KKK and is willing to abandon his ideals when it comes to them. I think has the license plate case been about a religious symbol or anything other than the confederate flag, he would have sided with the conservative justices

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Evil Fluffy posted:

Thomas ignored things like the law also assumes/requires that your defense, you know, actually defends you. Also he's just outright assuming the testimony wasn't a factor in the death penalty decision and that the trial court wasn't wrong in making the same assumption. In this case the defense actively worked against him by bringing in an 'expert' to give a literal Around Blacks Never Relax statement to hurt the defendant. I hope the lawyer involved gets disbarred at the very least because what he did was beyond unaccepta...

This person really needs to be investigated because I get that lawyers can be really bad yet somehow keep their jobs but come on. Has anyone looked in to his other cases to see if he'd potentially sabotaged his clients in those as well?

That's, uh, I... :pwn:

I'm no legal expert, but it seems like that'd be suspicious even if he hadn't seemingly sabotaged the defense of one person.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

EwokEntourage posted:

He didn't write anything, and while I didn't listen to the oral arguments, I'm just going to assume he didn't say anything. He likes to parrot the "colorblind society" idea but it's pretty clear he doesn't like the confederacy or the KKK and is willing to abandon his ideals when it comes to them. I think has the license plate case been about a religious symbol or anything other than the confederate flag, he would have sided with the conservative justices

It's hardly abandoning his ideals. He views it as similar to flag burning, and similar to expressing support for a terrorist organization. Viewed in that lens, it's perfectly consistent with his established beliefs.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

The district judge (a black woman, if it matters) makes logical arguments for why she views it as de minimis. her opinion isn't bad, though i think it was inevitable that the supreme court would rule the way it did

quote:

Other than citing Martinez, however, Buck has failed to demonstrate that this case presents extraordinary circumstances. While the introduction of any mention of race was illadvised at best and repugnant at worst, it was, in this case, de minimis. As respondent points out, there were two references to race in Dr. Quijano's testimony. On direct examination, Quijano stated the indisputable fact that African–Americans and Latinos are over-represented in the criminal justice system. On cross examination, Dr. Quijano answered affirmatively when questioned about earlier findings he had made that being black is one statistical factor he considered in reaching his conclusion. The prosecutor did not make any race-based argument in closing.

. . .

Buck's counsel offered testimony that Quijano was neutral, emphasizing his experience working for TDCJ, id. at 101–04, and eliciting the fact that Quijano had testified for both defendants and the State in the past. Id. at 104–05. Quijano offered his opinion that Buck was not a future danger. Id. at 115. He based his conclusion, in part, on “several statistical factors ... including, but not limited to age, sex, race, social economics, history of violence, and history of substance abuse.” Buck v. Thaler, 345 Fed.Appx. at 925. Included in Quijano's testimony was his observation that African–Americans and Latinos are over-represented in the criminal justice system. 28 Tr. at 111.

Nevertheless, the Court finds that counsel's representation fell below an objective standard of reasonableness under the first prong of Strickland. See Strickland, 466 U.S. at 687–88. Buck's trial counsel called Dr. Quijano as a witness even though he knew that Dr. Quijano had previously testified on the direct correlation between race and future dangerousness. Additionally, Buck's counsel had received Dr. Quijano's expert report before trial clearly stating that Buck's race made him statistically more likely to be a future danger. Buck v. Thaler, __ U.S. ___ 132 S.Ct. 32, 33 (2011). Despite the longstanding “ 'unceasing efforts' to eradicate racial prejudice from our criminal justice system,” McCleskey v. Kemp, 481 U.S. 279, 309 (1987), Buck's counsel called Dr. Quijano as a witness and relied on his expert report, although counsel was fully aware of Dr. Quijano's inflammatory opinions about race. There was no strategic reason to do so because Buck's counsel offered a second expert at trial, Dr. Lawrence, who had no history of this kind of troubling race-based testimony. Testimony like that of Dr. Quijano lends credence to any potential latent racial prejudice held by the jury. Cf. Guerra v. Collins, 916 F.Supp. 620, 636 (S.D.Tex.1995), aff'd sub nom. Guerra v. Johnson, 90 F.3d 1075 (5th Cir.1996) (holding that a defendant is “entitled to have his punishment assessed by the jury based on consideration of the mitigating and aggravating circumstances concerning his personal actions and intentions, not those of a group of people with whom he shared a characteristic.”). Buck's counsel recklessly exposed his client to the risks of racial prejudice and introduced testimony that was contrary to his client's interests. His performance fell below an objective standard of reasonableness, and the Court therefore finds that trial counsel's performance was constitutionally deficient.

*7 However, the Court finds that under the facts of this case, Buck cannot show that he was prejudiced by his counsel's constitutionally deficient action. In light of the aggravating evidence, particularly the facts of the crime and Buck's actions following the murders, it cannot be said that there is a reasonable probability that the outcome would have been different if Quijano had made no reference to race. Although counsel rendered deficient performance by calling Quijano as a witness, Buck suffered no Strickland prejudice as a result. Therefore, the Court finds that Petitioner has not established a claim of ineffective assistance of trial counsel on this issue.

Buck also contends that his counsel was ineffective for failing to object when the State asked Quijano a question about the issue of Buck's race. As the Fifth Circuit noted, Buck opened the door to this question. See Buck v. Thaler, 345 Fed.Appx. at 930. Because Buck opened the door, any objection to the prosecutor's question would have been futile. “This Court has made clear that counsel is not required to make futile motions or objections.” Koch v. Puckett, 907 F.2d 524, 527 (5 th Cir.1990). Counsel was not ineffective for failing to make a futile objection.
Assuming without deciding, however, that the prosecutor's question amounted to constitutional error, Buck cannot prove prejudice. As previously discussed, the evidence showed that Buck had a prior criminal history and was violent toward his ex-girlfriend. He committed a brutal double murder, killing one of the victims in front of her two young children, and shot his own sister in the chest. Under these facts, there is no reasonable probability that the outcome of the sentencing phase would have been different if counsel objected to the prosecutor's question.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

It's hardly abandoning his ideals. He views it as similar to flag burning, and similar to expressing support for a terrorist organization. Viewed in that lens, it's perfectly consistent with his established beliefs.

Sorry, you are wrong. His opinion in virgina v black make a passing reference to texas v johnson, which wikipedia overstates. Thomas never actually compared cross burning to flag burning. He has also noticeably and directly changed his position on cross burning

(1) Judge Thomas’ support for symbolic speech during his confirmation hearings;
(2) Justice Thomas’ vote in R.A.V. v. St. Paul to reverse, on free-speech grounds, a criminal conviction for burning a cross;
(3) his concurring opinion in Capitol Square that erecting a cross is a political act by the Klan, and
(4) his dissenting opinion in Virginia v. Black that cross-burning is not expressive conduct at all and therefore entitled to no First Amendment protection

read all about it: http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/justice-thomas-and-the-burning-cross/

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Ted Cruz said there is going to be another SCOTUS Vacancy in the summer... Did Kennedy tell him he's retiring?

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

mcmagic posted:

Ted Cruz said there is going to be another SCOTUS Vacancy in the summer... Did Kennedy tell him he's retiring?

I just can't see Kennedy retiring. It seems like he is pretty intent on his legacy being the progress of gay rights. He has to know that giving Trump/Rep. their 5th vote would undo all of that.

Outside prediction: Kennedy hopes the Dems retake the Senate in 2018, and he retires hoping that a split Pres/Sen. will result in a more central candidate.

?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

mcmagic posted:

More likely his dad told him he plans to shoot a second Kennedy.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

mcmagic posted:

That's when Plan Omega begins phase 3.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

How does something like this square with the fourth amendment?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Capt. Sticl posted:

I just can't see Kennedy retiring. It seems like he is pretty intent on his legacy being the progress of gay rights. He has to know that giving Trump/Rep. their 5th vote would undo all of that.

Outside prediction: Kennedy hopes the Dems retake the Senate in 2018, and he retires hoping that a split Pres/Sen. will result in a more central candidate.

?

If Kennedy is hoping on that, he either can't read this map or he thinks the Republicans will take a historic beating in deep red states in an ultrapolarized political system.

Not only are there 14 more Democratic seats up for grabs than Republican seats, Democrats are defending seats in very difficult states like Missouri, WV and North Dakota. I see a lot of plausible R pickups and only one potential Dem pickup (NV) unless Trump is doing "Bush in 2008" numbers of unpopularity, and even that might not be enough to overcome a structural midterm electorate advantage and the fact that Republican voters might imagine their senator as a "check" on Trump despite evidence to the contrary.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Feb 24, 2017

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Fuschia tude posted:

How does something like this square with the fourth amendment?

ICE and CBP are convinced that there are no constitutional rights within 100 miles of the border.

https://www.aclu.org/other/constitution-100-mile-border-zone?redirect=constitution-100-mile-border-zone

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Capt. Sticl posted:

If the Dems retake the Senate in 2018 (and that is nearly impossible even in a situation where Trump has like 25% approval ratings, the Democrats need to win three seats, the Republicans only have 9 up for election, and the third easiest seat to win is probably loving Texas) then the Democrats won't confirm anyone besides Merrick Garland. They might not even confirm him, because if things go so badly for Republicans that they lose the Senate then everyone will expect a landslide loss by Trump in 2020 when they can nominate an extremely liberal 25 year old to the bench.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

ulmont posted:

ICE and CBP are convinced that there are no constitutional rights within 100 miles of the border.

https://www.aclu.org/other/constitution-100-mile-border-zone?redirect=constitution-100-mile-border-zone

Lol if you include airports as border zones that is almost the entire US.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

Lol if you include airports as border zones that is almost the entire US.

Yes that's their exact goal.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

It was obviously the founder's intention that unreasonable searches happen all around the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Nitrousoxide posted:

It was obviously the founder's intention that unreasonable searches happen all around the country.

In order to ensure the return of runaway slaves, instead of to combat terrorism and it is unironically yes