Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Hainsey was an old and slow 'defensive' defencemen when he played for the Jets like 4 years ago how is he still in the league

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Matt Zerella posted:

Danny Kristo strikes again!

He'll be an NHL regular for sure now!!!!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Jultzy is taking contact in practice today. Hopefully our bone shamans aren't rushing him back but it sounds like he's progressing far quicker than hoped. JR mentioned on the radio he might even play Saturday.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The Islanders are currently in a playoff position.

Imagine what a whole season without Capuano could have done for the Metro standings.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Furnaceface posted:

Imagine what a whole season without Capuano could have done for the Metro standings.

A pretty drat good team would be essentially the 8 seed, and the "7 seed" could theoretically have more points than the Atlantic winner. Insane.

e- Hell, the 7 seed has more points than the 2 now.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 23, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

In sad news:

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/834814123275907072

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger
Neuvirth starting on Saturday

Gotta ride the 0.894 sv% hot hand!

Fire Hakstol

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
At worst they'll be back in Canada with better deals than when they left.

That feels like Fox Sports is giving up.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I think in pretty sure paragraph A almost immediately nullifies paragraph B. "Enjoy the ride" seems to be dangerously close to turning pretty quickly into "how can we a win a cup with Matt Martin :qq:"

Maybe Ben Smith plays because this team actually isn't All That Good Yet and all of the best players are under 21, so they're just filling in the gaps with whatever bullshit is lying around because this season effectively doesn't really matter yet even though they have a shot at the playoffs? Do you mean to tell me that it only took 5 months for "I'm just happy that we've got a glimmer of hope" to turn into "gotta dig my shrunken heads from the closet and start dancing around the fire to exorcise the '67 demons"

The problem is the bullshit they're picking up to fill those gaps is actively worse than the bullshit we had before but they prefer the the new bullshit. It calls into question their asset management and talent analysis. Right now it's a minor concern that could balloon into a major problem that costs the team. As a fan of a Terrible Team for my Entire Life seeing the same warning signs crop up that were there before when the future is finally bright is Lame As Hell.

Teemu Pokemon posted:

man it must really suck to have a bunch of good young dynamic players i can't begin to imagine your plight condolences

sorry about your one bad defenseman, is he also getting over 4 million for the next 5 years or

It's two bad defensemen thank you very much, and two more questionable ones!!!!!!!!!!

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Apparently letang is day to day now :sigh:

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Look Around You posted:

Apparently letang is day to day now :sigh:

man the stadium series game is shaping up to be a real shitshow

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

i forgot jay and dan existed to be honest

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Jamwad Hilder posted:

YOUR OFF THE FORCE lol

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Jamwad Hilder posted:

You're the worst person alive.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

grack posted:

You're the worst person alive.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There is no reason to pay attention to fox sports here in Chicago because all the games are on NBC or Comcast affiliated channels.

Jay and Dan don't even seem to get the youtube clips linked in the thread like they did when they were in Canada.

Did fox just do a lovely job marketing them?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
It was one or two seasons ago when there was a Jay and Dan bit during every 2nd period break during every hockey game on a Fox sports affiliate. They were very dry and sometimes awkward in a way I don't think many people really got.

Anyway, blogs and twitter ate Sportscenter's lunch and I can't imagine any other sports highlights show succeeding anymore.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

To me, Jay and Dan came across as being ready made for 5-10 minute youtube video sensations anyway.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

xzzy posted:

There is no reason to pay attention to fox sports here in Chicago because all the games are on NBC or Comcast affiliated channels.

Jay and Dan don't even seem to get the youtube clips linked in the thread like they did when they were in Canada.

Did fox just do a lovely job marketing them?

A lot of it to me felt like "Let's take these two hugely popular Canadian guys nobody outside of hockey fans in the US knows about and hope they become popular in the US!".

FS1 should probably still be Speed, to be honest. Does anyone watch "The One" unless you're specifically looking for a sporting even shown there?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Duke Chin posted:

Tim Peel is a terrible hill to die on, mr. ref apologist. :v:

(And his lovely linesman)

I don't even know what happened, I just noticed someone wanting to shoot someone over a hockey game

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

AngryBooch posted:

It was one or two seasons ago when there was a Jay and Dan bit during every 2nd period break during every hockey game on a Fox sports affiliate. They were very dry and sometimes awkward in a way I don't think many people really got.

Anyway, blogs and twitter ate Sportscenter's lunch and I can't imagine any other sports highlights show succeeding anymore.

I saw like two of them in a three year span on FSAZ. I wonder if the affiliates had to pay for it

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I dont really blame the refs in the boston game beyond missing the call but gently caress the NHL for constantly repeating "we want to get it right" and then making the challenge a football. The NFL gets it wrong too but at least they automatically review turnovers and touchdowns so the game can't get too hosed up if you run out of challenges.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Oh boy. A review for every goal? Can't wait.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not sure why they couldn't review them behind the scenes, it takes at least a minute to get players situated back at center ice anyways so why not run the review, and if something suspicious pops up, hit a panic button that tells the ref to hold up. If it's all kosher, just never mention it again.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Suspicious posted:

Oh boy. A review for every goal? Can't wait.

nfl refs tasked with doing the automatic reviews have to affirm the score before play can continue but i'd be surprised if the average time added was more than 10 seconds per score, and if they radio down to the field and tell the refs they need a real review, then who cares because they needed a challenge to get it right anyways.

the actual process of a nhl review is bad currently but i think that's a separate issue.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Furnaceface posted:

From dead last in the conference to a playoff spot in not that much time. It can't be overstated how bad of a coach jack Capuano is.

I don't know if the isles have what it takes to maintain this spot because they have a rough schedule and the injuries are piling up, but I'm just glad they finally have a chance to be competitive this year.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It sounds more like Jack Capuano kept them in competition?

If he was truly bad they couldn't get into the picture at all, like Colorado or Detroit.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

It sounds more like Jack Capuano kept them in competition?

If he was truly bad they couldn't get into the picture at all, like Colorado or Detroit.

Detroit had more points than the islanders when Capuano was fired.

Yeah, he really was that bad.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sounds like the Metro actually kind of sucks then.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The Islanders roster isn't particularly good though and their goaltending is mediocre, I mean let's be real, they're where they should be.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
Good for Hainsey for getting a shot at the playoffs. Good for Ovechkin - Hainsey is his bitch.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Develop a goal-line technology like in the EPL and let the rest fall as it may. No reviews. Who gives the tiniest poo poo about if the linesman missed offside by less than the width of the puck? How about we don't stop the game for 5 minutes so somebody can make a subjective call about goaltender interference.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
they've been making excuses about why that's impossible for years but it doesn't seem very impossible to me

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Just get rid of offsides reviews on goals. Regardless of which way they go, they ruin an enjoyable hockey game whenever they happen.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Zodijackylite posted:

Just get rid of offsides reviews on goals. Regardless of which way they go, they ruin an enjoyable hockey game whenever they happen.

Apparently they might change the rule so you don't have to have your skate down. The reviews are garbage though, agreed.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Zodijackylite posted:

I'm okay with them if they actually affect a play. Like a guy getting a breakaway when he's clearly offsides.

But gently caress the ones where some rear end in a top hat is offsides by half an inch and never even touched the puck on the play anyways.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Making the blue line into a plane makes way more sense and they don't have to mess around with ice level cameras and can just use the same rafters setup they do for the goal line

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm okay with them if they actually affect a play. Like a guy getting a breakaway when he's clearly offsides.

But gently caress the ones where some rear end in a top hat is offsides by half an inch and never even touched the puck on the play anyways.

I still don't understand why they haven't instituted touch-up offsides for this reason and to speed the game up.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
they do have touch up offsides though?

they're awful quick to blow the play dead if guys don't immediately try to exit the zone and they're also ridiculously strict about shooting the puck in at the blueline if a team mate is offsides instead of allowing a touch up (I assume this is because if the puck is over the line at all on your stick even if you're shooting it in then they consider if offsides if a teammate is in the zone)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
If you're offsides and can't touch the puck you could still gain an advantage by forechecking or impeding the opposing player with the puck. You have to make a concerted effort to leave the zone once offsides is declared by the linesman.

• Locked thread