Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Charles Get-Out posted:

Have you tried the hyperkin one with your MSX? I have a Hudson pad, but it's kind of gummy and OG MSX pads tend to be more than I'm wanting to spend.

See if you can find one of these Hori-made Master System controllers, they're fully compatible with the MSX: http://segaretro.org/SG_Commander

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

d0s posted:

See if you can find one of these Hori-made Master System controllers, they're fully compatible with the MSX: http://segaretro.org/SG_Commander

All of the prices I can find are way out of budget. I think my Hudson controller is just a repurposed Famicom controller basically, so I'm gonna try and find some replacement rubber pads.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Charles Get-Out posted:

All of the prices I can find are way out of budget. I think my Hudson controller is just a repurposed Famicom controller basically, so I'm gonna try and find some replacement rubber pads.

What hudson model is it exactly? I use a Hudson Super-X with JP PC stuff and it's probably going to match the internals of the Hudson-made Famicom controllers rather than the Nintendo ones. They're easy to find though, just look for "Joycard", the red one with the bee on it

e: also it's loving crazy that that master system pad is now expensive, a couple years ago they were $5 all day long. Glad I got one, the regular MS pads are pure trash

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I have the NES version on that Hori pad, it's nice. I had no idea they made a SMS version, but given how blah the regular controller is, it makes sense that it's pricey

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I haven't tried a 6 button on the MSX, since it has a slightly different matrix and breaks poo poo on the SMS and Genesis already.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Holy poo poo, I didn't know that SMS controllers shot up to $25+ each. I have a dozen or so of them, in all 3 configurations (side cord, top cord with and without threaded joystick port on the dpad).

I should probably offload them and buy a new PC with the proceeds :v:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Yeah it's probably not a good idea to plug anything with those multiplexers into something expensive that you're not 100% sure you know how it's going to react, particularly a third party one. It may not work properly and worst case scenario it can actually break stuff, even 3 button official Genesis pads are known to damage C64s by overloading the chip that handles controller inputs.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Picked one of these up today at goodwill for a couple bucks: http://thefamicloneshelf.blogspot.com/2014/06/power-player-super-joy-3-super-joystick.html?m=1

It's so fabulously lovely, but I couldn't pass on the chance to own the FBI's most wanted famiclone that someone did real jail time for.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Holy poo poo, I remember a kiosk selling those in Brooklyn near Fulton St. that apparently got raided??

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Hey, good news.

https://twitter.com/byuu_san/status/834842108330704896

Byuu found his poo poo.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

:toot:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Our long national nightmare is finally over. Truly 2017 is the greatest year.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I'm glad byuu is going to be able to get clean dumps of those games and the owner is going to get them back, and I'm not sure why you guys have to be all weird about it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I mean, that was serious. It's good news.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Modus Pwnens posted:

I'm glad byuu is going to be able to get clean dumps of those games and the owner is going to get them back, and I'm not sure why you guys have to be all weird about it.

I guess byuu might have overreacted, but put in the same position I probably would have too.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
It's entirely possible that his "overreaction" is the only reason they showed up.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah, story has a happy ending which is the main thing, and we'll get confirmed dumps.

Incidentally is there a proper list somewhere of "these games are definitely good dumps" that's trustworthy?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Caitlin posted:

It's entirely possible that his "overreaction" is the only reason they showed up.

Almost certainly. I'm glad he was able to learn a lesson about shipping high-valued items and it didn't end with him or the shipper getting screwed over.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Caitlin posted:

Oh sure, but if we can't laugh a bit at melodrama around this, what can we laugh at?

Frankly, it's nice to have some drama that doesn't involve monstrously awful people for once, too.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

univbee posted:

Yeah, story has a happy ending which is the main thing, and we'll get confirmed dumps.

Incidentally is there a proper list somewhere of "these games are definitely good dumps" that's trustworthy?

Send Byuu an email. :v:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Random Stranger posted:

Oh sure, but if we can't laugh a bit at melodrama around this, what can we laugh at?

Frankly, it's nice to have some drama that doesn't involve monstrously awful people for once, too.

I dunno this thread hasn't been funny in months :toot:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Caitlin posted:

Well, when you're right, you're right.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Caitlin posted:

Time to impeach dos.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

cosmicjim posted:

Time to impeach dos.

the funny isn't my responsibility, it's everyone's job to make this thread great, again

I have a fountain of terrible eurogames (and not terrible demos) now thanks to the HXC floppy emulator that came in the mail, this thing is badass

I got the external model because this thing is compatible with a bunch of different systems that use floppies, there's some voodoo you have to go through to get the amiga to boot from the drive hooked to the rear port rather than the internal one but it's worth it to keep the original internal drive installed and working and the case not hacked up

e: also I don't want to say I told you re byuus games but I FUCKIN TOLD YOU LMAO

d0s fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 24, 2017

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
talk about mame cabinets again

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Zand posted:

talk about mame cabinets again

I once tried to play Street Fighter Alpha 2 on a mame cabinet that had the (awful American) buttons configured incorrectly so that the top row was kicks and bottom row was punches. It did not go well.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Old video games are no laughing matter.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

maaaaan that is a nice setup.

I need to make room and get my C64 poo poo set up nicely. It's all a jumbled mess right now and that's loving shameful.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I got my multicade working that I had posted about a few weeks ago. It's a commercially licensed product that uses an operating system called JoshuaOS. It's the most efficient operating system I've seen for something like this. It boots to a frontend that looks like a hyperspin knock off. It's running on a mechanical IDE hard drive and boots faster than my solid state computer running windows.
Each machine shipped with a gamepack cd of about 80ish games including Mortal Kombat and Dragon's Lair., but there's also a lot of outdated 70s space shooters. It has a trackball as well and functions with trackball and spinner games.

I had thought about turning this into a mame machine because all of the wiring including keyboard encoder is already done for me, but I decided to keep it as a licensed multicade. I could potentially route this or sell it to a person that puts machines on routes or in an arcade.
It's made by a company called Global VR. I had to email them, and they sent me a key I needed for unlocking the gamepack after I told them the Machine ID. Each machine ID has a unique key generated for it.

The problem the machine had was the onboard graphics chip was overheating. I bought an identical mobo off ebay for $20+ shipping and swapped them out.

Here's the full game list....

Arkanoid 2
Arkanoid
Tournament Arkanoid
Arkanoid Returns
Arlington Horse Racing
Asteroids
Asteroids Deluxe
Blaster
Bubbles
Bubble Memories
Bubble Bobble 2
Bubble Bobble
Black Widow
Battlezone
Centipede
Crystal Castles
Camel Try
Chak 'n Pop
Champion Wrestler
Cleopatra's Fortune
Defender
Defender II
Don Doko Don
Dragon's Lair
Dragon's Lair II
Elevator Action The Fairyland Story
Gauntlet
Gravitar
Golden Tee Golf
Golden Tee Golf II
Hot Shots Tennis
Joust
Joust 2
Jungle Hunt
Kram
Landmaker
Liquid Kids
The Legend of Kage
Liberator
Lunar Lander
Major Havoc
Marble Madness
Millipede
Missile Command
Mortal Kombat
The New Zealand Story
Paperboy
Puzzle Bobble 2X
Puzzle Bobble 3
Puzzle Bobble 4
Puzzle Bobble
Plotting

Plump Pop
Puchicarat
Rainbow Islands
Rastan
Rampart
Roadblasters
Robotron 2084
Root Beer Tapper
Rampage
Satan's Hollow
Splat!
Sinistar
Super Sprint
Spy Hunter
Space Ace
Space Duel
Space Invaders
Space Invaders Deluxe
Space Invaders DX
Super Space Invaders '91
Super Breakout
Super Strike Bowling
Tempest
Toobin'
Vindicators
Warlords
Zookeeper

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So has the OSSC been updated past some of the issues mentioned in this video. Such as problems with the SNES?

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

d0s posted:

What hudson model is it exactly? I use a Hudson Super-X with JP PC stuff and it's probably going to match the internals of the Hudson-made Famicom controllers rather than the Nintendo ones. They're easy to find though, just look for "Joycard", the red one with the bee on it

e: also it's loving crazy that that master system pad is now expensive, a couple years ago they were $5 all day long. Glad I got one, the regular MS pads are pure trash

It's a grey Joycard Super X for MSX. I took it apart to check and the rubber pads look similar to replacements sold for Famicom controllers so I'm gonna give that a shot cause replacements are maybe $3.

Interestingly, the Joycard has slots for start and pause in the shell, Hudson just glued a faceplate over them, so it's pretty much just the Famicom/NES version with different wiring.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Code Jockey posted:

maaaaan that is a nice setup. [...] C64 poo poo

thanks, also the picture cut off my C64 poo poo, everything in the picture including the monitor is all from flea market/thrift store digging in the late 90's. the C64 and A500 share the 1084 with the C64 going into chroma/luma and the A500 going into RGB. the fastload is sticking up like that because of a rad gadget called an aprospand, it's mostly useful to me for turning off the fastload for games that don't play nice with it

I actually have a SD2IEC coming for it, it's been sort of a project for me lately to get all my computers running some kind of flash solution. though unlike the A500 my C64 is NTSC which kinda limits things (and simply importing a PAL machine is not as easy because the C64 doesn't output RGB)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
My Dreamcast copy of Marvel vs Capcom 2 finally arrived in the mail. Suppose I better take it for a ri-ide! :peanut:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My Dreamcast copy of Marvel vs Capcom 2 finally arrived in the mail. Suppose I better take it for a ri-ide! :peanut:

Post the link you dumb rear end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY-CeeQLCE4

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Veib posted:

I once tried to play Street Fighter Alpha 2 on a mame cabinet that had the (awful American) buttons configured incorrectly so that the top row was kicks and bottom row was punches. It did not go well.

What the......

:yeah:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You know, as great as the roster in Marvel vs Capcom 2 is (and it's really great), I think I prefer the previous game more. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 feels like the directive was "Well, we're losing the license so throw loving everything into this game even if it doesn't really work." Marvel vs. Capcom just felt more together to me.

But I will always enjoy taking a team of three Doctor Dooms and if when I lose a round telling my opponent that particular one was a faulty Doombot.

Goddamn Capcom put out too many amazing 2D fighters in the late 90's. I'm totally a button mashing scrub when it comes to fighting games and even I look at their output then and go, "How did they do that many fantastic games." The only real stinker I can think of from their 2D fighting games between 1995 and 2000 is Street Fighter: The Movie.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 24, 2017

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I was exactly the sort of rear end in a top hat who clowned on MVC2 publicly back in the day but still burned it for DC and played it a ton in secret

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
One of the best finds I had at a pawn shop was finding the PS2 copy of MvC2 for 6 bucks when it was still selling for about 80 at Gamestop. I kept that for a few years until the XBLA/PSN release happened and sold it about 40 (since values dropped since).

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Random Stranger posted:

You know, as great as the roster in Marvel vs Capcom 2 is (and it's really great), I think I prefer the previous game more. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 feels like the directive was "Well, we're losing the license so throw loving everything into this game even if it doesn't really work." Marvel vs. Capcom just felt more together to me.

But I will always enjoy taking a team of three Doctor Dooms and if when I lose a round telling my opponent that particular one was a faulty Doombot.

Goddamn Capcom put out too many amazing 2D fighters in the late 90's. I'm totally a button mashing scrub when it comes to fighting games and even I look at their output then and go, "How did they do that many fantastic games." The only real stinker I can think of from their 2D fighting games between 1995 and 2000 is Street Fighter: The Movie.

It's me, I'm the world's only fan of Star Gladiator that picks Hayato in MvC2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I beat Mega Man 5 tonight. I've heard this one touted as one of the easier ones but I've always had a hard time with it. Well, not that it was particularly hard as it only took two sessions and one continue, but nevertheless, it was tougher than any I can remember except for the first one, which really feels like a different beast from the rest of the series on the NES. 2, 3 and 4 I've owned for years and have played the hell out of and it's hard for me to guage now just how tough these are because I can storm right through them, but I bought and beat 6 last year and don't remember it giving me anywhere near as much difficulty as 5 just did.

Also played some Lufia: Fortress of Doom tonight and holy poo poo that game is grindy as a whole bag of gently caress.

• Locked thread