Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Pantsuit posted:

I think we also need to bare in mind that English/British identity is a dogwhistle for white identity amongst these types. PoC are not considered to be British/English by these people, doesn't matter if they were born here and lived here all their lives. That Jack Buckby poo poo head, or whatever the hell the BNP wanker is called, makes this very explicit.

The person I know who specifically calls herself English wouldn't consider herself a racist but is a big pusher on "Where are you REALLY from" stuff with people who just happen to have slightly different shades of skin. "But they're not really FROM here".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Dead Goon posted:

I share my name with a king - a loving king!

I am neither "posh" nor consider myself anything other than working class.
Calm down AElfweard.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Boro has more industrial wreckage visible from most of it at least, or the hills if nothing else.

That picture reminds me of when I went to York and the drat place is flat as a fart. It's weird as hell not being able to see anything behind even a relatively small object.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Taear posted:

The person I know who specifically calls herself English wouldn't consider herself a racist but is a big pusher on "Where are you REALLY from" stuff with people who just happen to have slightly different shades of skin. "But they're not really FROM here".

Idiotic hypothetical alert: If humanity were to somehow start again, but with the climate as it currently is, would it now be warm enough in at least the south of England for humans to evolve with darker skin?

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Zephro posted:

Incidentally one of the trickiest problems is nominating an executor. I can't decide if I want to nominate my girlfriend or not - presumably she'll have enough on her mind with the funeral and so on. I might go with my sister, but if she can't or won't for whatever reason I'm really not sure who else I'd choose. Interesting to realise that I don't seem to have any friends who are 1) close enough and 2) I would feel comfortable asking to take on such a bureaucratic and intimate task

You can nominate more than one executor. Mine's are my partner and a local solicitor, in the expectation that the solicitor will do the grunt work and my partner will provide direction if needed. Her will is similar. Our situation is pretty straightforward though - no kids etc

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

HJB posted:

Idiotic hypothetical alert: If humanity were to somehow start again, but with the climate as it currently is, would it now be warm enough in at least the south of England for humans to evolve with darker skin?

It's not about warmth, it's about UV radiation and vitamin D.

Equator: UV rays hit the surface at a perpendicular angle, so you need sunscreen, so you get melanin, so black skin.
Poles: UV rays hit at an angle, atmospheric diffraction etc, so your skin needs to produce more vitamin D from less radiation, so you get white skin.

This hasn't really changed that much, so you wouldn't. Not that it matters, I don't think we'd get a second chance at this civilization thing. Hope not.

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 23, 2017

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Pochoclo posted:

I used it as a generic term, I knew someone would pull me up on it but you get the gist of it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Pochoclo posted:

Equator: UV rays hit the surface at a perpendicular angle, so you need sunscreen, so you get melanin, so black skin.
Poles: UV rays hit at an angle, atmospheric diffraction etc, so your skin needs to produce more vitamin D from less radiation, so you get white skin.

This hasn't really changed that much, so you wouldn't. Not that it matters, I don't think we'd get a second chance at this civilization thing. Hope not.

I thought white skin was just a random mutation rather than specifically "This is what happens when..."

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Taear posted:

I thought white skin was just a random mutation rather than specifically "This is what happens when..."

Evolution is all about random mutations. That's how it works.

OwlFancier posted:

Boro has more industrial wreckage visible from most of it at least, or the hills if nothing else.

The only significant industrial wreckage I can think of in the area is the steelworks at redcar.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TheRat posted:

The entire graph is negative :v:

Oh wow, I hadn't even noticed that. So even Labour's most liked politician is unliked. That's hilarious and also very miserable.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Appropriate I think, you shouldn't like politicians.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Taear posted:

Yeah, random mutations only stick around if they have some kind of selective advantage. Otherwise they just get filtered out like everything else. Technically *everything* starts as a random mutation in some way or another.

Might not be a *big* advantage but it would have to be there in order to just get removed from the gene pool. Of course there's always sexual selection to consider as well, which complicates the whole "does this thing give you a competitive advantage" train of thought.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

MikeCrotch posted:

Yeah, random mutations only stick around if they have some kind of selective advantage. Otherwise they just get filtered out like everything else. Technically *everything* starts as a random mutation in some way or another.

Might not be a *big* advantage but it would have to be there in order to just get removed from the gene pool. Of course there's always sexual selection to consider as well, which complicates the whole "does this thing give you a competitive advantage" train of thought.

Not always - a population can be the only one left and everyone comes from them and has their random mutation. Think haemophilia.

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
Just been to vote. The monster raving loony party's candidate is called The Incredible Flying Brick. I like some of his policies like: Make fishing a spectator sport by introducing piranha to the Trent & have a good breakfast of oatcakes and a delicious lunch of lobby. Still didn't vote for him though.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Meat Wagon posted:

Just been to vote. The monster raving loony party's candidate is called The Incredible Flying Brick. I like some of his policies like: Make fishing a spectator sport by introducing piranha to the Trent & have a good breakfast of oatcakes and a delicious lunch of lobby. Still didn't vote for him though.

Voted for the Other Loony Party (Loony Lefty Labour)>

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

Appropriate I think, you shouldn't like politicians.

I like Nye Bevan

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Taear posted:

Not always - a population can be the only one left and everyone comes from them and has their random mutation. Think haemophilia.

Haemophilia isn't a single mutation and can happen spontaneously - there's no "patient zero" to be found, and it can affect almost any mammal.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Haemophilia isn't a single mutation and can happen spontaneously - there's no "patient zero" to be found, and it can affect almost any mammal.

But the royal family are susceptible to it due to their particularly weird breeding. And I thought us having white skin was similar to that. Not a mutation for adaption but one that had occurred in the specific population that spread across Europe coincidentally.

Say that the people who made the crossing to Arabia in the second migrant wave had gigantic hands and we all ended up with them coincidentally because that group had it and only bred with other gigantic handed people. Rather than a selection made because it increased survivability.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

it can affect almost any mammal.

Taear posted:

But the royal family are susceptible to it

Well something doesn't check out here. :tinfoil:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
The haemophilia in the royal family almost certainly came from a novel mutation in Queen Victoria and has stuck around due to inbreeding.

Its not really comparable to population level genetic effects.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Well something doesn't check out here. :tinfoil:

They profusely bleed because their human suits aren't perfect, yet.

quote:

The haemophilia in the royal family almost certainly came from a novel mutation in Queen Victoria and has stuck around due to inbreeding.
As I say that is how I thought we'd ended up white, that we WERE a tiny inbred population at that point.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Taear posted:

I've heard people here in Manchester saying how they think the money spent on the trams should maybe have gone on buses without ever considering the buses are a business and the trams are owned by "us" as it were. There's just so many different things about how government works that people don't know at all.

One of the things I do like about the GMCA is that technically Stansted is a Manchester airport. :v:

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

Taear posted:

Of course she is. I think it stems from the belief that the white English population is indigneous to Britain, so if you don't have bloodlines stretching back generations you're not English/British so should be got rid of. Honestly, the English/British identity is inherently racist.

Funnily enough, these rules don't seem to apply to America, Canada and Australia...

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

TinTower posted:

One of the things I do like about the GMCA is that technically Stansted is a Manchester airport. :v:

If they want it, they can have it - buyer collects though. It takes a lot to make Luton look like a well-run efficient airport but by god Stansted manages it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pantsuit posted:

Of course she is. I think it stems from the belief that the white English population is indigneous to Britain, so if you don't have bloodlines stretching back generations you're not English/British so should be got rid of. Honestly, the English/British identity is inherently racist.

Funnily enough, these rules don't seem to apply to America, Canada and Australia...

Speaking as someone with pretty solid Celtic ancestors, I always like to tell these types that yeah we should totally be kicking all these Romans, Angles, Saxons, Normans etc out. Calling Nigel Farage an arriviste Huguenot oval office makes no actual difference to the world but is still satisfying.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Speaking as someone with pretty solid Celtic ancestors, I always like to tell these types that yeah we should totally be kicking all these Romans, Angles, Saxons, Normans etc out. Calling Nigel Farage an arriviste Huguenot oval office makes no actual difference to the world but is still satisfying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KVO378tjsw

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Bloody Farage, coming over here from 17th century France and teaching us to weave hats out of lace

send em back

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

Pantsuit posted:

Pretty arbitrary timespans, too. People who chat this sort of poo poo tend to forget they're genetically German if you go back far enough. Might explain the English predilection for Nazism?

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
On the "what is a True English" topic there was an interesting YouGov survey last month about that when they had a spate of nationality-related polling;

What makes a person English, according to the English

quote:

With English nationality becoming more prominent, it begs the question: who is English? Now the final installment in a series of YouGov surveys on nationality can reveal what makes a person English, according to the English themselves.

Englishness is clearly a birthright, with the majority believing that where or to whom a person is born defines whether a person is English or not.

At 81%, the most commonly held source of English nationality is being born in England. Almost as popular, at 80%, is having two English parents - this drops to 54% for having one English parent.

The majority of English people will also consider someone who grew up in England to be and Englishman.

On the other hand, living in England for a long time as an adult is not enough to confer English nationality. Just over a quarter (27%) of English people say that living in England for over 10 years makes a person English – this drops to 15% for those living in England for 5-10 years and 8% for less than 5 years.

Laradus fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 23, 2017

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I was always kind of annoyed by that BBC Merlin series that had Arthur as an obvious blonde Norman type 500 years too early.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Laradus posted:

On the "what is a True English" topic there was an interesting YouGov survey last month about that when they had a spate of nationality-related polling;

All the racists I've ever started fights with in pubs go mental when you ask what englishness is and remind them the poles won the battle of britain. It's literally all they have.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Seriously the timeframe between the "England for the English"/"What is English" response to a punch is about 3 minutes.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

radmonger posted:

I was always kind of annoyed by that BBC Merlin series that had Arthur as an obvious blonde Norman type 500 years too early.

I'm always a little bit annoyed when people act like the Arthurian tales are English. King Arthur and his possie are like the Welsh/Brythonic(?) version of a mythical William Wallace. Just, let us have it, please. It's all we've got.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Spangly A posted:

Seriously the timeframe between the "England for the English"/"What is English" response to a punch is about 3 minutes.
Only people with an English passport are English, therefore nobody is English and everyone should gently caress off and let the entire place rewild itself.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Guavanaut posted:

Thought this was one of those political compasses for a second.

But it is :unsmigghh:

Laradus posted:

This is just begging for a comparison test where they have to actually apply this to some real people

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Paxman posted:

Make Sadiq leader

make john mcdonnel leader

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Yeah sure, show an England-born indian or arab to most of that 80% and they'll backpedal like an olympic bicyclist on crack cocaine.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I can come to terms with the fact Corbyn will never be liked. I can't come to terms with the likeability of Sadiq Khan and Hilary Benn. Which just makes me say gently caress it to being reasonable and go full Corbyn again.

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

Spangly A posted:

All the racists I've ever started fights with in pubs go mental when you ask what englishness is and remind them the poles won the battle of britain. It's literally all they have.

is this an accurate statement? there were about 150 Polish pilots in the Battle of Britain and over 2,000 "British" pilots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

oxford_town posted:

is this an accurate statement? there were about 150 Polish pilots in the Battle of Britain and over 2,000 "British" pilots

it's not supposed to be. I just like breaking the mental image people have of their grandads all in a line, exact replicas of Scott Parker, clowning the inferior mainlander

• Locked thread