Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

Paladinus posted:

Is it even mansplaining if it's toward another man? Here, like nowhere else, the word patronise would make much more sense, imo.

i suppose it depends who you ask, but lately i've seen it slightly generalized to refer to the particular way in which men speak with total confidence about something they have no real expertise in regardless of whether their audience has more. but i'm definitely open to correction if people, particularly women, think that's generalizing too far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Protsplaining. Luthersplaining. Tradsplaining. Hamsplaining. We need more 'splainy words

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

Ceciltron posted:

Protsplaining. Luthersplaining. Tradsplaining. Hamsplaining. We need more 'splainy words

i have definitely used "protsplaining" before

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Bel_Canto posted:

Definitely a good word then.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Last night I had two dreams. In one, I was selected to be the new Pope. In the other, I was crowned the King of England. What an odd Anglican power fantasy. :catholic:

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I suppose "sectsplaining" wouldn't work, not if you pronounced it out loud.

I tend to be pretty attached to the image of the Church as a spiritual hospital, and Christ as the Great Physician. So really, it's less "extreme vetting" and more "extreme urgent medical attention."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
honestly "patronize" is perfectly good and even already contains the gendered context where applicable

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

System Metternich posted:

http://www.themarysue.com/pope-a-plus-twitter-game/

This "Heaven is doing ~~extreme vetting~~ too" meme is just the loving worst :negative:

The same people who are constantly accusing Catholics of trying to earn their way into heaven on their own merit are gonna talk about how heaven has extreme vetting? Uh, okay, sure.

Also New Jerusalem does have a huge wall! And twelve gates! Representing the Twelve Apostles and the Twelve Tribes of Israel. Except Revelation also says the gates are always open. Whoops, guess that analogy doesn't work.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Phlegmatist posted:

Oh, okay, where's that in the Bible? Or did you get your political views mixed up with your religious ones again.

I mean, if you're serious about your Christianity I woul sort of expect that to inform a lot of your politics.

The bible does have some pretty hard to ignore comments about the importance of securing a positive justice in the world. To be honest the oddity for me is that a lot of Christians don't seem to politicize their religious beliefs.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's just too bad conservative christians ignore passages like "from each according to their means and to each according to their needs," "it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven," and a lot of psalms about the poor and poverty that i don't really know off the top of my head. and, of course, "when you fed them you fed me"

they don't even pay attention to the one where abortion is specifically not considered murder!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The "insomuch as you did unto others so you did unto me" bit is absolutely beautiful and I would be hard pressed to say whether I prefer it or "from each according to their ability" to describe how I think the world should be organized.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Senju Kannon posted:

it's just too bad conservative christians ignore passages like "from each according to their means and to each according to their needs,"
You do know that's Karl Marx, right?

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You do know that's Karl Marx, right?

there's a passage in acts where the apostles have the community pool together their money and they distribute it to each according to their specific needs

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Senju Kannon posted:

there's a passage in acts where the apostles have the community pool together their money and they distribute it to each according to their specific needs
is that the one where a pair of people who refuse to do that get killed by god

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Senju Kannon posted:

Yeah, they gathered everything they had among them and divided the things to each as they needed them. Marx/Engels knew exactly what they were writing.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Senju Kannon posted:

it's just too bad conservative christians ignore passages like "from each according to their means and to each according to their needs," "it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven," and a lot of psalms about the poor and poverty that i don't really know off the top of my head. and, of course, "when you fed them you fed me"

they don't even pay attention to the one where abortion is specifically not considered murder!

abortion is theft, comrade

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Senju Kannon posted:

Oh, I misunderstood. I thought you meant that was a direct quote.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oh, I misunderstood. I thought you meant that was a direct quote.

i never quote the bible if i can't help it

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Senju Kannon posted:

your double negative isn't helping any

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Senju Kannon posted:

An odd thing to write in a thread about liturgical christianity, certainly.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ceciltron posted:

An odd thing to write in a thread about liturgical christianity, certainly.

you're catholic, right? how many times has a priest read from the bible during confession? cause that's a part of the rubric, you know

checkmate

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

syscall girl posted:

your double negative isn't helping any

Isn't helping none.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

HEY GAIL posted:

is that the one where a pair of people who refuse to do that get killed by god

I thought they got killed for lying about it, not for not giving everything.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Deteriorata posted:

I thought they got killed for lying about it, not for not giving everything.
like i read the bible

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HEY GAIL posted:

like i read the bible

we're not wrong for not knowing it, YOU'RE weird for knowing!

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...
Humans! I got my copy of the Book of Concord in the mail today. Surprisingly, it is more huge than the Catechism of the Catholic Church (though, that might just be the font size). I'm just gonna do a straight-through read 'cause I don't know how the gently caress to study this. I'll give you a trip report if it makes me a Lutheran. :v:

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

cerror posted:

Humans! I got my copy of the Book of Concord in the mail today. Surprisingly, it is more huge than the Catechism of the Catholic Church (though, that might just be the font size). I'm just gonna do a straight-through read 'cause I don't know how the gently caress to study this. I'll give you a trip report if it makes me a Lutheran. :v:

Tell us when you get to the pope parts.

:munch:

feldhase
Apr 27, 2011

Bel_Canto posted:

Some "anti-religious activist" dude (why is it always a guy) tried to condescendingly explain why I can't be a gay Christian the other day, and now I'm trying to think of a 'splaining word for that

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Atheistsplain would probably give non-retarded atheists a bad name, so can we just go with dumbsplain?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

That's the same issue with mansplaining though.

Fedorasplaining? :haw:

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

happyphage posted:

Some "anti-religious activist" dude (why is it always a guy) tried to condescendingly explain why I can't be a gay Christian the other day, and now I'm trying to think of a 'splaining word for that

it's with a heavy heart that i must say the straights are at it again

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

happyphage posted:

People love doing this to Muslims too and it's kind of baffling how atheists can be such scriptural literalists.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
well with muslims it's more islamophobia

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

P-Mack posted:

People love doing this to Muslims too and it's kind of baffling how atheists can be such scriptural literalists.

I dunno, it seems straightforward to me. Most of the atheists who pull that nonsense haven't ever engaged with serious scriptural and theological study, and so they read religious scriptures with a pretty childish hermeneutic. Many of them come from backgrounds where that kind of hermeneutic was the norm, and they project it onto any religious person. People who weren't raised as literalists tend to be much more chill.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

System Metternich posted:

That's the same issue with mansplaining though.

Fedorasplaining? :haw:

asplaining

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Bel_Canto posted:

I dunno, it seems straightforward to me. Most of the atheists who pull that nonsense haven't ever engaged with serious scriptural and theological study, and so they read religious scriptures with a pretty childish hermeneutic. Many of them come from backgrounds where that kind of hermeneutic was the norm, and they project it onto any religious person. People who weren't raised as literalists tend to be much more chill.

I agree with the first part of this sentiment, but would argue that atheists from non-religious backgrounds, myself included, can also fall into the trap of overly literal interpretation. IME this is because the most newsworthy people are the outrageous ones. For religious people that's stuff like YE creationists and other biblical literalists. In the absence of contact with religious intellectual traditions, it becomes easy to assume that literal interpretations are the typical ones. Those are then the ones argued against, which leads to reasoning such as 'God as presented literally in the Bible is evil by modern standards. Abrahamic religion includes worship of said God, therefore Abrahamic religion is evil'. Which is a sad mirror of the ignorance shown by YE'ers and such.

Before I came across this thread, my only exposure to religious thought was from a)the media, b)examination of religion from an anthropological perspective, and c) two Mormon missionaries I spent some time talking with back in my first year at uni. Kind people, but also quite young even compared to myself at the time. When I first started reading this thread, I had thought that religious intellectual traditions, if they existed at all, did so only in the form of people who were relatively intellectual 'for their time'. Or Alternatively intellectuals who were also religious were intellectual in spite of their religiosity, not because of it. I've learned differently since then. Mostly thanks to y'all, and the interest in attaining a greater understanding of religious traditions you've sparked in me.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
awwww :3:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
the Christianity thread taught me it's okay to be weird

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i can't even imagine what normal must be tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pellisworth posted:

the Christianity thread taught me it's okay to be weird
yesterday i learned that clement of alexandria thought that jesus did not have automatic bodily functions

he digested food and breathed consciously, i guess

post your fav liturgifacts here

• Locked thread