Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

There is a simple test to decide if someone is English and that's if they feel disappointed or any negative emotions when England loses the world cup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

oxford_town posted:

is this an accurate statement? there were about 150 Polish pilots in the Battle of Britain and over 2,000 "British" pilots

They won on points.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

kustomkarkommando posted:

There is a simple test to decide if someone is English and that's if they feel disappointed or any negative emotions when England loses the world cup

True Englishmen aren't just disappointed when England get knocked out of the World Cup, they're surprised too. Every time.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

oxford_town posted:

is this an accurate statement? there were about 150 Polish pilots in the Battle of Britain and over 2,000 "British" pilots

My grandad wanted to be a pilot in the Battle of Britain but they wouldn't let him because his job was too important. He was a shepherd and I guess they needed sheep to feed people but he was very disappointed.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

In today's episode of LabourUK reddit: Gitmo did nothing wrong and This Is Bad For Corbyn

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
On at 9 tonight on C4.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...e-mad-channel-4

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/has-political-correctness-gone-mad

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The rule regarding any news piece that features a question in the headline stands, I feel.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

So I'm hearing on the news there's a genuine chance of Angela Merkel being replaced by a social democrat, and Germany being ruled by a coalition of the left.

That would be nice, and makes it even more regrettable that we're leaving Europe.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jabby posted:

So I'm hearing on the news there's a genuine chance of Angela Merkel being replaced by a social democrat, and Germany being ruled by a coalition of the left.

That would be nice, and makes it even more regrettable that we're leaving Europe.

I seem to recall the center left president is center left in the sense that Corbyn is a communist revolutionary.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Laradus posted:

On the "what is a True English" topic there was an interesting YouGov survey last month about that when they had a spate of nationality-related polling;

What makes a person English, according to the English
This seems like a confusing poll - it's not clear whether respondents meant "someone must meet all these criteria to be English", "someone must meet at least one of these criteria" or anything in between.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
I'm in hospital after having back surgery this morning and it's a loving disgrace. They're rationing mushroom soup to the old guys and I've been waiting since 2pm to see a doctor about the meds the prescribed but just been told there's no guarantee the on call will show up when he's called.

In short, gently caress the Tories and their cuts.

On the other hand the staff are miracle workers and the place is a lot cleaner than a decade ago. What's the best way to tell them thanks?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Verizian posted:

I'm in hospital after having back surgery this morning and it's a loving disgrace. They're rationing mushroom soup to the old guys and I've been waiting since 2pm to see a doctor about the meds the prescribed but just been told there's no guarantee the on call will show up when he's called.

On the other hand the staff are miracle workers and the place is a lot cleaner than a decade ago. What's the best way to tell them thanks?

On-call doctors are always swamped and won't know anything about your case apart from what they can glean from the notes. Unless it's an urgent issue you'll be better off waiting for your team to see you in the morning.

Feel free to ask/PM me if it's a question a certified Doctor On The Internet might be able to answer.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

oxford_town posted:

303 Squadron was easily the most effective formation in the Battle of Britain and arguably were the deciding factor in the penultimate phase of the battle, the point where the Germans came closest to winning. It says something that even the ultimate gung-ho "England saves the world" film of the battle makes a big point of just how good the Poles were.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

303 Squadron was easily the most effective formation in the Battle of Britain and arguably were the deciding factor in the penultimate phase of the battle, the point where the Germans came closest to winning. It says something that even the ultimate gung-ho "England saves the world" film of the battle makes a big point of just how good the Poles were.

Mm, there was that great BNP pamplet that someone looked up and it turns out they used a picture of a Polish spitfire for the cover.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

OwlFancier posted:

Mm, there was that great BNP pamplet that someone looked up and it turns out they used a picture of a Polish spitfire for the cover.

Still think that was Searchlight pulling an amazing troll.

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

Even well meaning white liberal types tend to assume English means white, which is annoying. I get the impression that Scots tend to think a black person from Edinburgh is Scottish. But English people struggle with the idea that a black person from Bristol is English, and not just the blatant racists.

This is starting to matter more I think as we talk a bit less about Britain and more about England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Zephro posted:

I'm just going to go ahead and ask because I've never been able to figure it out. Your avatar looks like Gabe Newell, or possibly Bill Bailey, wearing a Google Glass that weirdly isn't moving, shaking his head while staring into someone's butthole.

I'm guessing that's not what it actually is and that I'm just messed up in the head, but now that I've seen it I can't unsee it. What's it meant to be?

https://youtu.be/B8g19YbAcCY?t=46s

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

jabby posted:

On-call doctors are always swamped and won't know anything about your case apart from what they can glean from the notes. Unless it's an urgent issue you'll be better off waiting for your team to see you in the morning.

Feel free to ask/PM me if it's a question a certified Doctor On The Internet might be able to answer.

Yeah I'm not blaming the doctor for it, it's the lack of funds for hiring because there's been a total of 4 nurses between two ward's all day and the same ones are working long shifts tomorrow too.

Problem solved anyway. Got my usual prescription and they're moving me to a side room on the women's ward cause they need the bed space on the men's open ward.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

oxford_town posted:

Obviously they didn't win the Battle of Britain outright, but they punched way above their weight. There were 71 squadrons involved in the Battle of Britain and 303 Squadron alone claimed 4.7% of the kills, putting them fourth highest overall and highest among the Hurricane squadrons. They also had the highest ratio of kills per pilot and the highest ratio of kills to losses.

(Those numbers may also be excluding Josef Frantisek, the Czech pilot who flew with 303 as a guest and scored 17 kills while flying solo. If he isn't included in the official count then unofficially 303 was the second highest scoring.)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Paxman posted:

Even well meaning white liberal types tend to assume English means white, which is annoying. I get the impression that Scots tend to think a black person from Edinburgh is Scottish. But English people struggle with the idea that a black person from Bristol is English, and not just the blatant racists.

This is starting to matter more I think as we talk a bit less about Britain and more about England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
That's probably because BAME communities have always identified more as British. Black British, British Asian, British Muslim. There are solid reasons too, if your grandad was a British Subject in the British West Indies, your dad used that British Empire conferred status to get work in mainland Britain and settled down, and you were born a British Citizen on British Soil with a British passport, it takes a special kind of loving idiot to say 'you're not British' (not that the BNP didn't actively try for decades).
Whereas there's no qualifying standards for 'Englishness' so it's easier for people to make that lovely argument.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I admit if I think of someone being arsy about being called "English" I do think of a white person, with a nasally voice.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think of a Scotsman at a business meeting in America.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Spangly A posted:

Seriously the timeframe between the "England for the English"/"What is English" response to a punch is about 3 minutes.

How long afterwards until people carry you around the pub on their shoulders?

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

I hope everyone is looking forward to the byelection results

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Comrade Cheggorsky posted:

Considering these elections mean Jamie Reed and Tristram Hunt aren't MPs any more, I think humanity are the real winners.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

They won't be interesting. A couple of easy holds for labour.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Verizian posted:

Never underestimate the power of the box of chocolates and the thank-you card. If someone has particularly stood out as being brilliant, a quick word with the ward sister can be good too.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

*Checks the TV guide, sees that there is over 3 hours of This Week on tonight*

No, no I am definitely not looking forward to the by election results. 45 minutes of Andrew Neil & Michael Portillo talking about anything but trains is far too long.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

TheHoodedClaw posted:

You can nominate more than one executor. Mine's are my partner and a local solicitor, in the expectation that the solicitor will do the grunt work and my partner will provide direction if needed. Her will is similar. Our situation is pretty straightforward though - no kids etc
Ah,I didn't know that. Thanks, it sounds like a good idea

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Copeland had the 27th lowest majority out of Labour's 219 seats and, as you might be aware, Labour are doing very badly in the polls. A narrow hold would indeed be a boring result, but an 'easy' hold (i.e. an increased majority) would be interesting.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

Copeland had the 27th lowest majority out of Labour's 219 seats and, as you might be aware, Labour are doing very badly in the polls. A narrow hold would indeed be a boring result, but an 'easy' hold (i.e. an increased majority) would be interesting.

It's inconceivable that the opposition could lose a by election to the government. It hasn't happened for something like forty years.

Corbyn isn't that toxic, is he?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I hope the turnout is less than the number of people standing

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

forkboy84 posted:

*Checks the TV guide, sees that there is over 3 hours of This Week on tonight*

No, no I am definitely not looking forward to the by election results. 45 minutes of Andrew Neil & Michael Portillo talking about anything but trains is far too long.

But they have a cute dog there as well. Still its better to just set an alarm for 2am and miss all the pointless poo poo.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

The bookies don't agree with you, at least for Copeland:

quote:

Graphs from betting exchange Smarkets show how the odds on tonights byelections have moved. In Stoke, it currently gives Labour a 68% chance of winning, with Ukip rated at 28% and the Tories at 5%. Ukip has tailed off significantly recently, coinciding with the adverse publicity suffered by Paul Nuttall in relation to Hillsborough.

In Copeland, the implied probabilities make less cheery reading for Labour. It is given a 30% chance of retaining the seat, while the Conservatives are rated at 70%

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

I think of a Scotsman at a business meeting in America.

:smugdon:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I remember there was some research published last year that showed that white parents are far more likely to send their children to 'white schools' than minority ethnic parents are to send their children to 'non-white schools'.
Which is just simple racism, covered up by some mealy-mouthed "Oh, we want them to be able to make friends who share their interests" as if every loving 4 year old in the country doesn't get sat down in front of Peppa Pig for 5 hours each week.
Your children grow up knowing gently caress-all about the children who live next door and get to do it all over again with the next generation.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

That Copeland result would be a disaster for labour.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

MikeCrotch posted:

Yeah, random mutations only stick around if they have some kind of selective advantage.
This isn't true - genetic drift can cause some mutations to spread through a population and others to die out without any selection pressure being involved.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

ukle posted:

But they have a cute dog there as well. Still its better to just set an alarm for 2am and miss all the pointless poo poo.

I'll probably be up for it anyway. Still, I'm not looking forward to it.

Anyway, while we wait to see who the next challenger to Jeremy Corbyn is, have an article from The Economist: Go North: The Pragmatic Case For Moving Britain's Capital To Manchester. Bit odd for me to link to an Economist article, and I don't agree with all of its conclusions (I can't see the location of the capital changing much either way when it comes to Scottish independence, despite the line about Westminster elites often being brought up by Nats.), with the incredibly expensive refurbishment of the Palace of Westminster acknowledged all round as something that needs to be done as it's just not fit for purpose as a modern centre of government, it seems like a good time to actually realign the centre of power. Manchester & Leeds seems like the best shouts to me, with Birmingham the next choice (though Leeds is one of those places that is annoying to get to direct by public transport from Scotland). The idea of everything in this country being based in a tiny corner of the country is real poo poo and needs to change. This seems like a good opportunity to actually taking a small step towards that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Regarde Aduck posted:

I can come to terms with the fact Corbyn will never be liked. I can't come to terms with the likeability of Sadiq Khan and Hilary Benn. Which just makes me say gently caress it to being reasonable and go full Corbyn again.

My trick is to realise that anyone worthwhile leading a political party will be arch-enemy number one to Rupert Murdoch, so will have the same issues Corbyn has had. Corbyn can't be bribed or corrupted, so Murdoch wants him gone.

• Locked thread