Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

So what? That's a good thing that lets them make meaningful differences to similar cards.

Deathrite would be even better for mana than it is now because you could never lose deathrite battles since you'd still get the "secondary" effect. Fizzle should stay as is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Playing a deck like that tomorrow. The ravangers aren't as good as you might believe. Definitely don't go the affinity route.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

:negative:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
What is "as much as possible" for Oath of Druids?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Siivola posted:

In case you don't read the daily magic update:

:ms:
:thejoke: I was hoping it would spontaneously happen but here:

If Lilliana crossed her legs, would she cross them like this

or like this

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Chill la Chill posted:

:thejoke: I was hoping it would spontaneously happen but here:

If Lilliana crossed her legs, would she cross them like this

or like this

It seems pretty obvious, that second one looks like her legs are horribly deformed. Again, did people actually debate this?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bonus third option:

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Lord of Hats posted:

Spells fizzling is a bit odd, but I think it does lead to some interesting gameplay, like removing your own creatures to deny a secondary effect. I don't think it's particularly hard to wrap your head around.

I think removing interesting mechanics to dum-dum the game down is not the direction the game should head. Being able to sac your own creature to counter a spell is a baller move we all should get to experience daily.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Siivola posted:

In case you don't read the daily magic update:

:ms:

this does not look comfy

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Legendary Creature - Spider

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

:eyepop: those weren't peacock feathers, but extra sets of eyes

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

ThePeavstenator posted:

It seems pretty obvious, that second one looks like her legs are horribly deformed. Again, did people actually debate this?
Of course they did.

Also I think some poses were tried and it was determined you can really position yourself like the art without breaking your foot.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It turns out people without art backgrounds don't know what the gently caress they're talking about, news at eleven.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Acquit it, you guys.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Like I said, comic book spine.

The legs look totally normal for someone sitting in a chair and facing off to the right. And then there's a 60 degree rotation so her upper body is facing directly ahead, somehow.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Whoever posted about EFro deck of the day articles on CFB being terrible was right. I've been checking CFB articles more consistently over the last couple weeks and every single EFro deck of the day article might as well be him just going to mtggoldfish's meta section or mtgTop8's recent events and pasting in the most recent decklist. I remember his Infect article after Gitaxian Probe got banned had people calling out his bad advice and incorrect analysis in the comments.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ThePeavstenator posted:

Whoever posted about EFro deck of the day articles on CFB being terrible was right. I've been checking CFB articles more consistently over the last couple weeks and every single EFro deck of the day article might as well be him just going to mtggoldfish's meta section or mtgTop8's recent events and pasting in the most recent decklist. I remember his Infect article after Gitaxian Probe got banned had people calling out his bad advice and incorrect analysis in the comments.

That was me. I loath efro as a magic personality and as a person more than one person should. His content is lazy and almost worthless outside of pointing out new decks that people might like. I get the impression that either he is really that lazy or he believes that he can't keep an edge if he writes decent articles.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

When I tried listening to Constructed Resources for a bit I got the impression he was just sick/bored of Magic.

Like Marshall asks him "So are you going to tune into my coverage of [some standard GP]?" or something and EFro says, "I doubt it."

And just checking on CR since I haven't in a while it looks like it hasn't come out since October. Is it done? Hiatus?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Efro is a literal millionaire so when he doesn't want to care about Magic he probably doesn't, because he's too busy getting married and dealing with all that entails.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
CR was off and on for quite a bit and never really seemed to find its footing. It turns out Constructed is actually way more difficult to analyze with the same depth and quality they do for Limited on LR, and it doesn't help that Marshall just isn't a hardcore Constructed player, and his co-hosts so far have been people who are bored/disillusioned with Magic in general andact like they don't want to be there and leave all the heavy-lifting to Marshall. I pretty much gave up on it after a few episodes with EFro because he's just awful to listen to when he talks at all.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

GonSmithe posted:

Efro is a literal millionaire so when he doesn't want to care about Magic he probably doesn't, because he's too busy getting married and dealing with all that entails.

You're assuming Efro hasn't spent all of his money, which gamblers have a tendency to do. I mean, I guess I just don't have a lot of faith that people that think that playing Magic professionally is a good idea and/or professionally gamble are likely to make super wise monetary investments.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 23, 2017

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Bonus posted:

I remember MaRo saying somewhere that he would prefer spells not to fizzle when their targets are illegal, but just to do as much as possible. And that it's a change that would break too many things if changed in the rules now. I personally don't think it would impact the game in any negative way, it would just make it more intuitive for new players.

thing is, they can do this if they want. You could re-write harness lightning as: Gain 3 energy. Deal X damage to target creature, where X is amount of energy spent (templating). If the target got removed in response, it wouldn't matter you'd still gain the energy. Same thing lightning helix could say: Gain 3 life. Deal 3 damage to target creature or player.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Constructed Resources basically only started because former LR co-host Jon Loucks had quit Wizards and Marshall was keen to collaborate with him again.

Except it turned out Loucks had quit Wizards mainly because working there had made him a bitter shell of a man disillusioned completely with Magic.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

jassi007 posted:

thing is, they can do this if they want. You could re-write harness lightning as: Gain 3 energy. Deal X damage to target creature, where X is amount of energy spent (templating). If the target got removed in response, it wouldn't matter you'd still gain the energy. Same thing lightning helix could say: Gain 3 life. Deal 3 damage to target creature or player.

Nnnno, that isn't how it works. It's not that it keeps going until one of the things is invalid, it's that if a spell has no valid targets at all, it fizzles completely. It doesn't matter what order they're written on the card for that.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

The Lord of Hats posted:

if a spell has no valid targets at all, it fizzles completely.
What's that rule about not being able to correct someone on the Internet without making a mistake? :P

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

odiv posted:

What's that rule about not being able to correct someone on the Internet without making a mistake? :P

Eternal shame and damnation.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

The Lord of Hats posted:

Nnnno, that isn't how it works. It's not that it keeps going until one of the things is invalid, it's that if a spell has no valid targets at all, it fizzles completely. It doesn't matter what order they're written on the card for that.

ok yeah. sure "target player gains 3 energy. target creature player takes x damage where x is energy spent" "target player gains 3 life. target creature or player takes 3 damage"

simple fix, two targets, one is invalid other one still happens.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

jassi007 posted:

....no you wouldn't.

You'd either have to gain the 3 energy on cast (which is a completely different spell) or have the spell not target (again, a completely different spell.)

Edit:

jassi007 posted:

ok yeah. sure "target player gains 3 energy. target creature player takes x damage where x is energy spent" "target player gains 3 life. target creature or player takes 3 damage"

simple fix, two targets, one is invalid other one still happens.

Yeah, this was the fix I thought of earlier when someone brought up the awaken draw spell. Have it be target player draws 2. Problem is you can't always have it so there are multiple targets, like the awaken spell that gave -2/-2 to all creatures or whatever it was. Also this doesn't work very well with some old spells like True Believer that give you shroud. Obviously that doesn't matter for standard, which is probably all they care about.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 23, 2017

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

suicidesteve posted:

....no you wouldn't.

You'd either have to gain the 3 energy on cast (which is a completely different spell) or have the spell not target (again, a completely different spell.)

Edit:

Yeah, this was the fix I thought of earlier when someone brought up the awaken draw spell. Have it be target player draws 2. Problem is you can't always have it so there are multiple targets, like the awaken spell that gave -2/-2 to all creatures or whatever it was. Also this doesn't work very well with some old spells like True Believer that give you shroud. Obviously that doesn't matter for standard, which is probably all they care about.

Right but if you can fix 99.9% and leave only edge cases it is an improvement. I don't think spell fizzling is an issue, but even if it is, they can address it with templating changes instead of rules changes in almost all cases.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
They're also putting Monarch on commander because of Palace Jailer, so yay, I guess.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Angry Grimace posted:

They're also putting Monarch on commander because of Palace Jailer, so yay, I guess.

loving finally, now lets see them gently caress this up by not bothering to include the common Monarch cards. Hopefully they'll also add Custodi Squire.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

hey let's go back to talking about beginning of combat

https://twitter.com/tommartell/status/834895046046445569

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Elyv posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00NOOB5ZGg8

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
This is a really interesting build of fish: http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=111812

I am sort of tempted to work with this but push blood moon to the SB and keep cavern of souls / curse catcher to cast through chalice @ 1.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

mandatory lesbian posted:

this does not look comfy

it would make sense if she was slouching a little

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

Elyv posted:

I'm glad that Toby Elliot has gone literally loving insane and has decided that it should be impossible for the Active Player to hold priority in beginning of combat without any triggered abilities.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
yeah, it's unironically really good.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Elyv posted:

At first I misread that as Toby saying that this wouldn't take them to declare attackers, and that the joke was that you needed this amount of verbiage just to get your intentions across, which would be funny-sad enough in itself

But no

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I'm apparently an idiot for thinking you can maintain priority in the beginning of combat phase, so I'd love to hear how it is possible outside of saying combat, beginning of combat, or describing exactly when in the next phase you would like to maintain priority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elyv posted:

Autism Judges

• Locked thread