Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Magmarashi posted:

The dick-waving dipshittery never gets old, oh boy :jerkbag:

Anyway, is there even a halfway decent, readable map to where poo poo is? Getting lost in the dark on the ocean floor looking for a hole to progress isn't fun anymore.

There are many maps of varying detail and complexity in fact! Scroll down to the bottom of this page for many, many maps.

I confess I've used it a couple times when searching for something.

http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Mapping_Subnautica

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I was having a great time in Subnautica and then at about the 9 hour mark my game crashes no matter how many times I load it or reboot. I saw upthread someone saying something about deleting temp files, anybody got more specifics on that?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Magmarashi posted:

The dick-waving dipshittery never gets old, oh boy :jerkbag:

Anyway, is there even a halfway decent, readable map to where poo poo is? Getting lost in the dark on the ocean floor looking for a hole to progress isn't fun anymore.
I like this one, and just ignore all the pointless info on the right side of it

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/subnautica/images/7/7e/595137118_preview_map.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20161126033628

Xibanya posted:

I was having a great time in Subnautica and then at about the 9 hour mark my game crashes no matter how many times I load it or reboot. I saw upthread someone saying something about deleting temp files, anybody got more specifics on that?
never tried it myself, but what people recommend is clearing your cache via this guide
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=818789065

then go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Subnautica\SNAppData\Saved Games\

Find which slotXXXX folder has your saved game data and then go into your CellsCache folder and delete everything in it.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 22, 2017

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Xibanya posted:

Does it crash about 10s after you load in?

If so, backup your save, load in, ascend, save real fast, repeat until away from the broken geometry.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Bhodi posted:

I like this one, and just ignore all the pointless info on the right side of it

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/subnautica/images/7/7e/595137118_preview_map.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20161126033628

never tried it myself, but what people recommend is clearing your cache via this guide
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=818789065

then go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Subnautica\SNAppData\Saved Games\

Find which slotXXXX folder has your saved game data and then go into your CellsCache folder and delete everything in it.

Just want to say, I still love your avatar and text. :allears:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Just want to say, I still love your avatar and text. :allears:
so glad it brings people joy, even 10 years later :shobon:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Yep clearing the cache worked!

raided the aurora this evening. It was neat! Honestly, glitches and all I love this game. I haven't felt this much excitement about exploring somewhere that wasn't real since I played Skyrim for the very first time. And this game scared the piss outta me but to the perfect degree - any scarier and it wouldn't be fun, but it's hard to remember a game that made me feel this level of dread where the tension wasn't so unbearable that it made me quit.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
At cheaty as it is, my enjoyment of the game grew hugely when I started looking at the map. Even using the F1 button to find out the biome you are in is very handy. I used to use beacons to triangulate my position before I got comfortable with knowing where everything is. I really wish that there was a basic map function in game. Even if it was something you needed to visit the map room to see.

This popped up in my feed recently. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4Um97AUqp4&t=1s It's a postmortem discussion about FTL by the devs. The reason am posting it is because FTL is a great game that constantly makes you want more out of it. Why can't I move my ship in battle? why is there not more micromanaging? why not multi-player?

For Subnautica, the potential scope of the game seems huge and while most every person in this thread understands why they have to cut or not have certain features such as the geo-modding. It's a great insight into the mind of the dev who really wants to add more and more but finds the game is better when things are subtracted. It's maybe forty minutes or so if you don't watch the Q & A and while it's not connected to Subnautica, some folks here may enjoy it or the other GDC videos.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Xibanya posted:

Yep clearing the cache worked!

raided the aurora this evening. It was neat! Honestly, glitches and all I love this game. I haven't felt this much excitement about exploring somewhere that wasn't real since I played Skyrim for the very first time. And this game scared the piss outta me but to the perfect degree - any scarier and it wouldn't be fun, but it's hard to remember a game that made me feel this level of dread where the tension wasn't so unbearable that it made me quit.

Clearing the cache apparently can break spawnables (aka "fragments and resources"), so if you experience that, cheat.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Lonos Oboe posted:

At cheaty as it is, my enjoyment of the game grew hugely when I started looking at the map. Even using the F1 button to find out the biome you are in is very handy. I used to use beacons to triangulate my position before I got comfortable with knowing where everything is. I really wish that there was a basic map function in game. Even if it was something you needed to visit the map room to see.
I kind of wish they would add some kind of cartography feature. Like, just spitballing, they could have some new map room/appliance where you could construct some kind of combination of the beacon and a scanning room camera drone. Then you just drop it in an area and it starts to scan and analyze the topography of everything around it in, say... a 100-200 meter radius. Let it roam around that area for 1-2 ingame days scanning everything, come back and grab it, return it to the map room/appliance and its data will be downloaded. From then on you have that chunk of the map visible, what biome it is, what creatures are native to it, wrecks, etc. dropping off a handful of them as you get into exploring a new area could be a neat way to gradually mark progress and keep track of things.

Could be problems due to how 3 dimensional the games map is. Not sure how well an appliance could render depth.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

InequalityGodzilla posted:

I kind of wish they would add some kind of cartography feature. Like, just spitballing, they could have some new map room/appliance where you could construct some kind of combination of the beacon and a scanning room camera drone. Then you just drop it in an area and it starts to scan and analyze the topography of everything around it in, say... a 100-200 meter radius. Let it roam around that area for 1-2 ingame days scanning everything, come back and grab it, return it to the map room/appliance and its data will be downloaded. From then on you have that chunk of the map visible, what biome it is, what creatures are native to it, wrecks, etc. dropping off a handful of them as you get into exploring a new area could be a neat way to gradually mark progress and keep track of things.

Could be problems due to how 3 dimensional the games map is. Not sure how well an appliance could render depth.

Well, they already have the scanner room with the remote cameras. Personally I thought that was what it was for when I first built it. But nope, pretty limited functionality.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Lonos Oboe posted:

Well, they already have the scanner room with the remote cameras. Personally I thought that was what it was for when I first built it. But nope, pretty limited functionality.

Which is why I suggested this as a larger scale, more long term mapping option...

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Lonos Oboe posted:

That's perfectly understandable. After a point many people playing the game normally will inevitably be going "Everywhere but I need to go", or assuming they are expected to unlock something that would make their life easier (When the unlock is behind what you'd want the unlock for), etc. Despite the improved breadcrumbs compared to before, that's still a lot of nothing for the majority.

Throw in the nonexistent draw distances in an open world game, and you have even more legitimate need of better references than just a compass. I'm sure a lot of us wouldn't even be pressing F1 nearly as much if the compass added a coordinates readout once more familiar with territory. But something as basic as that can get shouted down as making the game "Too easy" because of how static everything of note is, and they cant call people cheaters like they can over the F1 button in that case.

InequalityGodzilla posted:

I'm sure bigger than any technical of balance hurdles, is the fact an actual proper map would just further highlight how tiny the gameplay area is.

Which is why there is so much bouncing in and out of "this only drags poo poo out" territory (like seaglide power usage), or hoping to implement things that will only serve to pad things out rather than add any real "tension" or "survival". (Plans to make the Cyclops 100% vulnerable at all times to everything, and a priority target).

Slow the player down, and your tiny area lasts longer. Plus it's easier to implement, AND gets extra press from the players who think realtime waits in a decompression chamber would be good gameplay :v:

To be fair, I don't actually mind a "Small world" in itself. It's all the baggage around people trying to drag out how long it takes to traverse it rather than widen it, acting like it's bigger than it is, or that you're an rear end in a top hat for so much as looking at it that bug me.

Particularly the desperate "DON'T LOOK AT THE BOUNDARY!' measures like infinite reaper spawns in the void, and the frequent suggestions of spawning something that can one shot kill a Cyclops. Because for some reason people get real offended at more happy go lucky players touring the empty zone, and as usual their go to response is to want to punish players harder :downs:

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Section Z posted:

(like seaglide power usage)...(Plans to make the Cyclops 100% vulnerable at all times to everything, and a priority target).

Seaglide power usage was just reduced by 3/4 and the design doc for Cyclops evasion doesn't say anything about making it vulnerable above 450m.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Mehrunes posted:

Seaglide power usage was just reduced by 3/4 and the design doc for Cyclops evasion doesn't say anything about making it vulnerable above 450m.

Yes, after a long rear end time being poo poo before finally unfucking it, hence "Bouncing in and out of". Saying that it's finally fixed NOW, doesn't take away what has come before.

As for "They devs never talked about making the Cyclops more at risk!", that's basically been part of their talks about "Cyclops Evasion mechanics" where they want to implement limited silent running modes to justify extra aggro effects from wildlife (Which would, say it with me now "Slow down your gameplay")

I'm sorry that I misused the term "Literally" on the internet, I guess?

EDIT: Oh right, we had that whole conversatoin on the Cyclops subject some pages back too. Where it was generally agreed by those who like the overall concept, that the likly implementation by the Devs would be "Park it hundreds of meters away from your destination. Hope nothing spawns to kill it while you're away from it". Ala seamoths parked inside caves being noclipped to death by reapers while you were gone. Except a lost seamoth is an annoyance, while a lost Cyclops is hours of gameplay plus hours of what you built and stored inside it.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 23, 2017

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Well, you can get into caves now, but you can also pass through the visible geometry a lot, there are invisible walls all over the place, and my safe shallows are now crawling with crabsquids and reapers.

I get the feeling that the underlying code for this game is rather messy and it seems late in the process to be ironing this sort of thing out.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Don't worry, removing teraforming will fix everything. Somehow.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Section Z posted:

Yes, after a long rear end time being poo poo before finally unfucking it, hence "Bouncing in and out of". Saying that it's finally fixed NOW, doesn't take away what has come before.

As for "They devs never talked about making the Cyclops more at risk!", that's basically been part of their talks about "Cyclops Evasion mechanics" where they want to implement limited silent running modes to justify extra aggro effects from wildlife (Which would, say it with me now "Slow down your gameplay")

I'm sorry that I misused the term "Literally" on the internet, I guess?

EDIT: Oh right, we had that whole conversatoin on the Cyclops subject some pages back too. Where it was generally agreed by those who like the overall concept, that the likly implementation by the Devs would be "Park it hundreds of meters away from your destination. Hope nothing spawns to kill it while you're away from it". Ala seamoths parked inside caves being noclipped to death by reapers while you were gone. Except a lost seamoth is an annoyance, while a lost Cyclops is hours of gameplay plus hours of what you built and stored inside it.

:captainpop:

Have you thought about just waiting until the game is actually released?

Here's a link to the Evasion goals for those who are curious.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Mehrunes posted:

:captainpop:

Have you thought about just waiting until the game is actually released?

Here's a link to the Evasion goals for those who are curious.

After some of us playing the early access game for about 100+ hours. I don't see the harm in discussing the potential flaws in implementing an incredibly complex system into what can be at the best of time a slightly janky system and ruining what is at the moment doing an pretty decent job. It seems pretty naive to assume that they will have nailed this gameplay feature without at least feeling concerned. When we were discussing it earlier in the thread, I said it felt like a Star Citizen level of right turns in gameplay design. It feels like a last minute bolted on addition to make up for the terrain modding problems and give the game that USP that will make it stand out. It's a whole heap of gameplay additions that until now has no precedent in the current game. A lot of early access games build in their systems piece by piece and leave blank spots for what will come in. It's awfully late in the game to be adding this Silent Hunter/Alien Isolation gameplay. I don't deny, it sounds awesome. But with crappy draw distances, massive subs that steer like cows, fast aggressive enemies. It really is hard to imagine them pulling it off.

Without sounding like a smart rear end. Have you thought about playing the game and imagining these systems being implemented?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Lonos Oboe posted:

After some of us playing the early access game for about 100+ hours. I don't see the harm in discussing the potential flaws in implementing an incredibly complex system into what can be at the best of time a slightly janky system and ruining what is at the moment doing an pretty decent job. It seems pretty naive to assume that they will have nailed this gameplay feature without at least feeling concerned. When we were discussing it earlier in the thread, I said it felt like a Star Citizen level of right turns in gameplay design. It feels like a last minute bolted on addition to make up for the terrain modding problems and give the game that USP that will make it stand out. It's a whole heap of gameplay additions that until now has no precedent in the current game. A lot of early access games build in their systems piece by piece and leave blank spots for what will come in. It's awfully late in the game to be adding this Silent Hunter/Alien Isolation gameplay. I don't deny, it sounds awesome. But with crappy draw distances, massive subs that steer like cows, fast aggressive enemies. It really is hard to imagine them pulling it off.

Without sounding like a smart rear end. Have you thought about playing the game and imagining these systems being implemented?

Thanks for summing it up much better than I could have :buddy: All my good points tend to get buried under my tendency to ramble.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Lonos Oboe posted:

...incredibly complex system...

If you actually bothered to read the design you would know it's very simple and straightforward. Or is switching to silent running and playing warmer/colder incredibly complex to you?

quote:

Without sounding like a smart rear end.

Too late!

For the normal people who don't feel like reading Trello you should be happy to know the Cyclops is getting a flank speed.

Mehrunes fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 23, 2017

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Mehrunes posted:

If you actually bothered to read the design you would know it's very simple and straightforward. Or is switching to silent running and playing warmer/colder incredibly complex to you?

No, but the AI and conditions systems they have to implement does. Edit: I know sweet F all about game design, but what they are trying to do is not an easy thing to do right. Especially when the game is nearly out the door.

Lonos Oboe fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 23, 2017

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Lonos Oboe posted:

No, but the AI and conditions systems they have to implement does.

Well if you're going to start pulling "development expertise" out of your rear end then this discussion is over.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Mehrunes posted:

Well if you're going to start pulling "development expertise" out of your rear end then this discussion is over.

Ah the old "I don't have a good response so I am just deciding I am right" debating tactic.

God forbid discussing game development about things being programmed in a video game being developed. Sorry I used big words like "AI" and "conditions"

I don't know who pissed in your cornflakes dude, but I made a point of not trying to be an rear end in a top hat while disagreeing with you. I was making a valid point. Have you actually played the game? If you have actual points to make, go right ahead. I am here to discuss this game and I would love to be proved wrong about my skepticism. But you are just arguing for the sake of arguing as far as I am concerned. You can say "If you read the document" as much as you like, but it does not discredit mine or anyone else's opinion.

I am not going to say "discussion over" or "so long sweetheart" because I am not a coward and can back up my opinions instead of acting like a whiny cocksmoker pretending I have control over a discussion I obviously don't have the chops for.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Mehrunes posted:

For the normal people who don't feel like reading Trello you should be happy to know the Cyclops is getting a flank speed.

With extra power drain, so that leaves the possibility of them pulling a Previous Patch Seaglide on the Cyclops. Probably not as bad as said example, but playing with the power conditions of the Cyclops on top of making it a priority wildlife target does not seem worth the price of admission for "slightly faster cyclops mode".

EDIT: At the very least, I'm sure you do agree that they wouldn't add a "Silent running" mode, without the requisite "Need to sneak past this, or else" effects.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 23, 2017

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Mehrunes posted:

Because surely there is no precedent for complications arising from attempts to add on entirely new gameplay mechanics at the end of development in systems that were never designed with them in mind. There is definitely no way this could be problematic.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

If they'd implement a Cyclops dock that would let the it suck off of base power, I'd run at flank from base to base then just recharge there, instead of laboriously transporting the batteries inside the base. It would also give a good reason to have multiple bases around the map besides vanity/role playing.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
Ok, extreme wierdos who who couldn't stand me posting good news about the seaglide and Cyclops! :thumbsup:

In more important news I think they actually fixed the bug that was causing 1+ gig save files and massive performance degradation. Pop-in is still on the to-do list though.

Mehrunes fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 23, 2017

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Voyager I posted:

Because surely there is no precedent for complications arising from attempts to add on entirely new gameplay mechanics at the end of development in systems that were never designed with them in mind. There is definitely no way this could be problematic.

Oh and there's also never been a case where late development changes have been good?

Assuming the worst is just as dumb as assuming the best. Why not wait and see what the changes look like in SOME form other than vague trello posts before getting all up in arms about them?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I still don't know where you need or are supposed to use flank speed with the cyclops. Most of a space in the map is vertical and its already such a pain in the rear end to have to check what bit or rock you're crashing into going that faster and being able to wreck the cyclops are going to combine into a lot of sinking subs.

Also, are the big enemies just going to ignore you if you're on slow speed or will they attack you anyway if you get within a certain distance. Playing hot and cold with some looming, sort of distant threat like a reaper could be fun but gently caress having to run away from every crabsquid you run into in the deep grand reef.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Vorkosigan posted:

If they'd implement a Cyclops dock that would let the it suck off of base power, I'd run at flank from base to base then just recharge there, instead of laboriously transporting the batteries inside the base. It would also give a good reason to have multiple bases around the map besides vanity/role playing.

Would there be any reaper spawns on the routes between your bases? You'd have to slow the gently caress down instead if so. Also, did they remove building cell chargers inside of your cyclops in Experimental? Screwing around in the game in stable I can still get away with that.

Though I can totally understand the desire to be allowed to just straight up dock your cyclops, with or without being fueled by your base. I'd also really appreciate some sort of toggle so it WON'T drain from your base if you don't want it to. Considering how much of an energy hog docking a Seamoth can be for a tiny base, docking a Cyclops to an small outpost that isn't safeley saturated with thermal and/or nuclear power sounds like a good way to cause it shut down. "Dockin my super sub doop de doo-Oh, gently caress. I left the water purifier running!"

For pure semantics nitpicking, I gotta wonder why they are calling it "Flanking speed". When they have such an emphasis on us not being allowed to attack stuff, and patching away functionality on what we could use to fight some stuff on top.

Carcer posted:

I still don't know where you need or are supposed to use flank speed with the cyclops. Most of a space in the map is vertical and its already such a pain in the rear end to have to check what bit or rock you're crashing into going that faster and being able to wreck the cyclops are going to combine into a lot of sinking subs.

Also, are the big enemies just going to ignore you if you're on slow speed or will they attack you anyway if you get within a certain distance. Playing hot and cold with some looming, sort of distant threat like a reaper could be fun but gently caress having to run away from every crabsquid you run into in the deep grand reef.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 23, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SMH if you aren't running up to every squid you find and punching it in the... erm... tentacular plexus with the prawn suit.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

SMH if you aren't running up to every squid you find and punching it in the... erm... tentacular plexus with the prawn suit.

It's so relaxing.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Before or after a warper pulls you out of it?

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
I don't think me and section Z are against any of this stuff. It's pretty obvious we both love the game. And yeah, flank speed in the Cyclops is great. Except unless you are near the surface, you are stopping every few seconds to turn or adjust depth like Carcer said. But when you look at the near misses we have had with people wanting huge crafting timers and turning the game into different directions. I think it's only fair to point out the potential dangers.

Section Z is talking about the fact that no one is going to use the Cyclops the way it has been used if there was a danger it could be destroyed while out harvesting mushrooms. This is in a game where Reapers spawn out of the ground in the Safe Shallows and eat people. We still have vehicles just vanish and huge problems with knock on problems. No one is denying some of this stuff would be awesome. But past and current experience tells us not to have high hopes.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Yeah if you can lose your cyclops because you didn't feel like parking it a kilometer away and something bumbles along into it then nobody is going to use it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Lonos Oboe posted:

I don't think me and section Z are against any of this stuff. It's pretty obvious we both love the game. And yeah, flank speed in the Cyclops is great. Except unless you are near the surface, you are stopping every few seconds to turn or adjust depth like Carcer said. But when you look at the near misses we have had with people wanting huge crafting timers and turning the game into different directions. I think it's only fair to point out the potential dangers.

Section Z is talking about the fact that no one is going to use the Cyclops the way it has been used if there was a danger it could be destroyed while out harvesting mushrooms. This is in a game where Reapers spawn out of the ground in the Safe Shallows and eat people. We still have vehicles just vanish and huge problems with knock on problems. No one is denying some of this stuff would be awesome. But past and current experience tells us not to have high hopes.

The general concept ideas are interesting, but implementation (And the usual echo chamber of official forums warriors) would want to treat it as "More inconvenience = I'm a more hardcore gamer!" and excusing any flaws of balance issues as "Well I love slamming my dick into a car door, so why don't you go back to call of duty :smug:"

Because to them, losing the results of hours, to even the vast majority of our save files efforts, is "Good survival gameplay", even when Subnautica is for all intents and purposes probably one of the most casual rear end "survival" games there is. Even if the cause is your Cyclops being eaten offscreen over 300m+ away while you were swimming around the abandoned undersea lab, they will blame the player for being not gud at viddy games.

Or even in the best case scenario, where it works as advertised but now everything just takes so much loving longer because you have to slam the silent running button every time you want to drive within a county mile of someplace that actually matters. And then having that much more time burned having to ferry stuff back and forth to your Cyclops when your inventory gets full/your battery supply run dry.

Imagine collecting the shitloads of materials to build the rocket platform, or even just your next vanity project base. Now multiply the time spend returning to your Cyclops to empty out your inventory or eat something by about x10.

Carcer posted:

Yeah if you can lose your cyclops because you didn't feel like parking it a kilometer away and something bumbles along into it then nobody is going to use it.

It would appeal to the sort of people who complain that a game doesn't have companion permadeath by default, even as they cripple themselves by walking between a pair of road cones and physics engined himself into submission.

I still think one of my top favorite "You're just wrong and a casual for wanting proper game design" responses, was in regard to all the fast travel destinations in Fallout 4 that lead to your death or maiming. And also proximity bombs respawning inside of settlements killing you while you are trying to place furniture.

"So I've noticed that for example, this fast travel destination is on top of where it will respawn landmines. So I blow up and die before the screen even fades in from black"
"Ugh, you should be more aware of your surroundings! I never fast travel though, I walk uphill both ways and take the chopper to and from the brotherhood of steel! Fast traveling is for casuals you deserve it."

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 23, 2017

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
It's ironic, I love Silent Hunter 3 & 4 as I mentioned many times in the thread and even bemoaned the fact the game could not work on that level of simulation because of it's infrastructure. (I don't want to say engine, I mean more it's scope and scale.) The game is not a submarine game no more than Arma 3 is a jet plane simulator. It just was not built that way. Silent Hunter has a great speed and noise system that suits the setting and is a ton of fun to use.

I would much rather this noise system being implemented in a smaller scale.

IE: Swimming with fins is the slowest and quietest, using the Seaglide is louder but faster and the Seamoth is the loudest. You are already more exposed than being in the Cyclops both literally and psychologically. It's your little safe spot in the depths.

This way you can give the player the Alien Isolation inspired defence and distraction gamplay. The swimming player may have flares, bait or even the 'bangstick' single use defence weapon we talked about. The Seamoth already has the electric hull and torpedos even though it is the least agile, you have limited defences, maybe drive 1 Reaper away, or dominate smaller threats. These would be much less drastic changes to the games structure but achieve the same kind of gameplay they want. The player still has the motion tracker and a noise meter and they can have the hot/cold system.

As it stands you can't sneak past a Reaper, you can only avoid or dodge them. Adding these systems would be better and I think they should keep the still keep the Cyclops as it is. It's a mobile base, a staging area for your sorties into pants making GBS threads terror and tension. Sure, you can go into Reaper central and not be hurt. Big deal, you are fish poo poo the second you get out and try and do anything.

In fact let's say that moving the Cyclops around makes a gently caress ton of noise and attracts all the Reapers in the area. You can't really explore that wreck with 3 of the fuckers hassling you. How about dumping it somewhere a mile away and sneaking in. You are still using this motion tracker but it's just your wetsuit between you and their teeth. Maybe bring the Seamoth, it has more defence and carry capacity. But it's louder, it may attract more attention. You need to tote your loot between the wreck and the Cyclops. It becomes a strategic decision that then breaks down into multiple tactical decisions.

I don't know about anyone else, but that sounds an awful lot like having your cake and eating it.

Edits for grammar and clarification

Lonos Oboe fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 23, 2017

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
The cyclops is already slow as gently caress and I'll be extremely sad if they implement reasons to make you drive it even slower. If they do go ahead with this, they should also put in upgrades that eventually let you not give a gently caress about hostile sea life. I want to drive a cyclops covered in gold into the lava zone, lit up with 50 floodlights so its basically daytime wherever I go, and then when something gets within 5 feet of the vehicle I honk my Upgraded Horn which sends the local fauna fleeing in terror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
They could do that by having some sort of research thing when you first run into the sea dragon, which eats reapers. Modify the horn honk to incorporate parts of the dragon's calls and reapers run in terror.

I like the ideas of having more interactions with the wildlife, but if the sum total of that interaction is going to be "Stay quiet or get rekt" then gameplay is going to devolve into going some place, jumping into your prawn and murdering anything remotely hostile.