Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
lenin was a white male

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

so with the ca Dems planning a hard left pivot, what'll that mean for the dnc? does ca decide maybe not send donations to the national committee when they try to collaborate with republicans on entitlement reform or some other similar bullshit?

CA doesn't send money to the DNC

Progressives taking over the CA Dems basically means they can win endorsements for their candidates at conventions (which comes with some money), elect progressive super delegates (doesn't mean anything since they'll mostly be bound to primary result), and pass a progressive platform. Not much else.

Concerned Citizen has issued a correction as of 20:51 on Feb 23, 2017

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Concerned Citizen posted:

Harrison has endorsed Perez, likely giving him a first round win.

lmao 4ever if the podesta group lobbyist hands this to perez

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

friendly reminder that concerned citizen is

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

My dream scenario is that Perez gets 223 votes in the first round and never manages to get another

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Rastor posted:

My dream scenario is that Perez gets 223 votes in the first round and never manages to get another

my only hope is that after the first rounds dudes who vote for perez get torn a new one by their constituency and flip to supported who ever makes it to round two

I know literally nothing about this election process, does it go down to 1v1 or are thier more rounds

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Karl Barks posted:

Remember when he would steadfastly deny the possibility of Hillary losing

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Agean90 posted:

my only hope is that after the first rounds dudes who vote for perez get torn a new one by their constituency and flip to supported who ever makes it to round two

I know literally nothing about this election process, does it go down to 1v1 or are thier more rounds

Reminder that one of these idiots decided to flip from supporting Ellison to Perez because people called him in support of Ellison and said some vaguely mean things.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Office Pig posted:

Reminder that one of these idiots decided to flip from supporting Ellison to Perez because people called him in support of Ellison and said some vaguely mean things.

see that's light though, I mean "if you vote for him and set foot in this state, we will mount your body on a pike outside our field office" level tearing. put them in actual fear of the base.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
:lol:

https://twitter.com/LdeRothschild/status/834293947690262528

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Agean90 posted:

see that's light though, I mean "if you vote for him and set foot in this state, we will mount your body on a pike outside our field office" level tearing. put them in actual fear of the base.

Excuse me- that's extremely authoritarian, we can't have effective leadership unless we're calm and limpid

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Agean90 posted:

Seems to be going well.

Serf
May 5, 2011

man if perez wins i might just give up

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Agean90 posted:

The people who vote for these things aren't usually elected officials and are usually arrogant loving pricks about their opinions.

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

if perez wins i will do a big lol at the state of the democratic party and its lack of vision

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
Did progressives ever manage to recruit a candidate to run in the GA special

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

John Podesta, the Clinton campaign chair whose hacked personal email arguably changed the course of last Fall’s election, suggested a strong remedy for the distrust in democracy sown since Trump’s surprise win: Establish a 9/11-style commission to investigate all the unresolved questions about Russia’s meddling in the election, its role in the hacking, and its possible ties to the Trump campaign.

Cause that's what the people want

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

tadashi posted:

The people who vote for these things aren't usually elected officials and are usually arrogant loving pricks about their opinions.

reminder that we had an article last week where one of these people was legitimately angry that his constituents had dared to call him up to try to convince him to vote for ellison and went for perez out of pure spite

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

good news: the DNC chair is still a mostly useless and symbolic position that doesn't really have any real power in ideological direction of the democratic party

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

G-Hawk posted:

good news: the DNC chair is still a mostly useless and symbolic position that doesn't really have any real power in ideological direction of the democratic party

that I do know. my main concern is that a perez victory damps the massive swell of rage and participation.

of course, accelerationism might kick in and get people even more pissed off

Serf
May 5, 2011

even if the position is nothing more than symbolic, we haven't gotten a single win. even a symbolic win would be something

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Concerned Citizen posted:

Did progressives ever manage to recruit a candidate to run in the GA special

Jon Ossof isn't necessarily a loud progressive but his career outside of politics has been creating investigative films for international news orgs so you can only hope it means he acts wisely as not to end up on the end of one himself.

He's only 30 so you'd also hope it means he's somewhat in touch with the more progressive younger voters. He's actually the leading candidate in local polls at the moment but the field is something like 18 candidates.

His opposition will likely be a well known former GA Secretary of State (Karen Handel) who actually won the first GOP primary to be governor in 2010 but lost in the run-off with Nathan Deal.

Karen Handel is nationally known as the woman who had to step down from Susan G. Komen for the Cure organization because she was responsible for the decision to cut-off funding for Planned Parenthood.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Bootedgedge will make the DNC chair Great Again

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Perez would still be a step up from the previous chairs.

Not saying much of course.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

friendly reminder that ellison's twitter account retweeted the michael hudson benihana up in this bitch tweet, making him officially the best

http://gawker.com/congressmans-office-admits-benihana-in-this-bitch-twe-1619574432

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
whenever someone says perez isn't that bad, im reminded of that Tim and Eric sketch where the inventor says "we've improved the smell -- it still smells awful, but now it smells better than it used to."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Reminder that Lady de Rothschild's publicly stated rationale for backing Hillary in 2008 was that Obama was too elitist.

No, really.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh wait i remember it -- the poop tube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFzTm6fy_zs

the poop tube also doubles as a metaphor for the democratic party

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Relinking this from a couple months back because it's essentially why Perez is probably going to win this:

Aurubin posted:

https://twitter.com/People4Bernie/status/810600604854648832

Now the optics of Perez being evasive as hell when pressed on the TPP aside, I instead direct your attention to the slap fights in the tweets that respond if you really wanna know why hope is a lie.

His response here was hilariously poo poo from a progressive POV. But as loquacius pointed out:

loquacius posted:

"when you're on a team, you stick with the team" is red meat for hillarymen and let's be honest a good 90% of his grassroots support is hillarymen

This attitude is exactly what a lot of the people who vote on this thing want, and it's why they're going to give him their vote.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Karl Barks posted:

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Cause that's what the people want

84% of dems think Russia interfered in the election, 77% think it is a very important issue, and 87% want an investigation into the links between Trump and Russia. So yeah, they really do.

https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=2422

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
here are some good things about russia that aren't written by retards

keith gessen in the Guardian

masha gessen in the new york review of books

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

JeffersonClay posted:

84% of dems think Russia interfered in the election, 77% think it is a very important issue, and 87% want an investigation into the links between Trump and Russia. So yeah, they really do.

https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=2422

And so long as the GOP controls Congress, we're not going to get it.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
lazy, stupid democrats are banking on "putin ties" to defeat trump so they don't have to do any work

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
apparently 87 percent of democrats are lazy and stupid

Remind me about the wisdom of trying to shame and silence the base?

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

You wrote an essay about Bernie Sanders back in 2000, as a senior in high school, winning the national JFK Profiles in Courage Essay Contest. You were a Bernie Bro before Bernie Bros existed?

Buttigieg: I don’t want to sound like a hipster who claims to have discovered the band or the coffee before it was cool, but yeah. He was definitely not a household name. In fact, he came to speak when I was in college, and I think they were going to line me up to introduce him after that had happened, or to meet him or something, and my grandmother died that weekend, so I never had the chance to meet him. I wrote about Bernie Sanders because I thought he demonstrated the kind of courage that was discussed in Profiles in Courage, the book.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Agean90 posted:

that I do know. my main concern is that a perez victory damps the massive swell of rage and participation.

of course, accelerationism might kick in and get people even more pissed off

man if a DLC chair election is what does the movement in then we were hosed from the get-go

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Reminder that Lady de Rothschild's publicly stated rationale for backing Hillary in 2008 was that Obama was too elitist.

No, really.

Yeah, one of the first replies in the thread was accusing her of trying to use this as a wedge to distance herself from Podesta since his career is dead if the DNC pulls away from him.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

https://twitter.com/AvengingAnnieRI/status/834436419607199746

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

buttigieg the political hipster

(still the best dem)

• Locked thread