Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Groovelord Neato posted:

most white people are racist. all racism isn't conscious. if say you post "blue lives matter" or "all lives matter" on fbook you're racist even if you don't think blacks are subhuman mongrels or whatever dick spencer shits out.

also the drug war is objectively racist how do you morons argue otherwise.

Actually, no lives matter. Get with the program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i hate to break it to you but nobody was saying "all lives matter" or "blue lives matter" until blm became a thing.

man why do these people keep calling out racism. if you call out legitimate cases of racism the word loses all meaning!

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Groovelord Neato posted:

i hate to break it to you but nobody was saying "all lives matter" or "blue lives matter" until blm became a thing.

man why do these people keep calling out racism. if you call out legitimate cases of racism the word loses all meaning!

go back to the great space race

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah I mean the only reason you'd post that is in direct opposition to the BLM stuff and I feel like why would you be opposed to BLM?

Obviously those phrases in of themselves are not racist but there's a reason you're posting them and it isn't because you really are worried for everyone's rights.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

I know the history I just don't accept your basic premise that just because some black people were sold a crock of bullshit as a solution to a problem they had the drug war isn't racist.

Black people are disproportionately put in jail for drug crimes that are hilariously strict in their sentencing. Drug crimes that are much better handled as a disease rather than as something that needs to be punished. Then they are worked for wages unheard of since before 1940 to the benefit of large corporations like AT&T and to the detriment of the average taxpaying law abiding citizen.

If that's acceptable to you because in the 70s the black caucasus thought the Drug War policies weren't going to be ridiculously moronic in their implementation then you're a dumbass.

You also just swept aside my lol of you saying "those countries would just be rape shitholes no matter what" because you're just a racist, apparently, and you think white people for some reason are just better because they commit less crimes. Just say it dude.

you very clearly dont know the history if you think nixon was shipping crack into the ghettos in 1971, or that blacks weren't one of the major constituencies pushing the drug war. nobody "sold a crock of bullshit as a solution" to them, they demanded the drug war. (n.b. no race is a monolith, a caveat i normally wouldnt feel compelled to make, but your argumentation style seems to require that sort of thing to forestall assumptions) the fact that the "cure" was worse than the disease was tragic, but it's rare that the people whose good intentions are paving the road to hell ever stop to listen to warnings about unintended consequences. h.l. mencken said that "democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." i think the black community has been extremely ill-served by their leaders, but the pretense that black people weren't demanding these laws is absurd. if not historical ignorance, it's the same paternal racism that has so long defined the democratic party's relationship with blacks, and has wrought so much destruction in black communities. liberals deny blacks have any power to shape the world, that they have no agency to seek their own happiness, and then they enact laws to make it so. the soft bigotry of low expectations is a much more pernicious and widespread form of racism than any kind of klansman bogeyman.

this is the law that instituted mandatory minimums and the sentencing disparity:

quote:

1986. October. MAJOR FEDERAL DRUG WAR LEGISLATION PASSES. Anti-Drug Abuse Act of 1986 passes Congress, enacting far tougher Federal mandatory minimum sentencing laws for drug offenders, including those caught with marijuana. Establishes a 100-to-1 disparity in punishments for crack cocaine compared with powder form of drug.

The measure is supported by the Congressional Black Caucus, though some members want even harsher penalties for drug crimes. Sixteen of nineteen African American members of the House — including Texas Rep. Mickey Leland and California Rep. Ron Dellums — co-sponsor the bill.

this wasn't just an isolated incident, friend. the cbc also ended up supporting clinton's 1994 crime bill, and many of them regularly slammed reagan and bush for not being aggressive enough in the drug war.

none of this is "acceptable" to me. the drug war has unbelievably damaging to american civil liberties, and ruinous to untold individual lives. my ideological brethren have been losing this war for decades!! :toughguy:

i generally ignore accusations of racism, but the reason i think central america would be a murderous rapehole even without the drug war has to do with their historical governance (extremely bad) and social attitudes towards sexual crimes (extremely bad). i cant say for certain it would be, and my fervent hope for all countries is peaceful prosperity, but i dont think their prospects would be very good. ending the drug war would certainly be a big step in the right direction, though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

Obviously those phrases in of themselves are not racist but there's a reason you're posting them and it isn't because you really are worried for everyone's rights.

right you're saying a ha hush that fuss everybody move to the back of the bus.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nut to Butt posted:

none of this is "acceptable" to me. the drug war has unbelievably damaging to american civil liberties, and ruinous to untold individual lives. my ideological brethren have been losing this war for decades!! :toughguy:

i generally ignore accusations of racism, but the reason i think central america would be a murderous rapehole even without the drug war has to do with their historical governance (extremely bad) and social attitudes towards sexual crimes (extremely bad). i cant say for certain it would be, and my fervent hope for all countries is peaceful prosperity, but i dont think their prospects would be very good. ending the drug war would certainly be a big step in the right direction, though.

Alright that's all fair enough and we can agree on all this.

quote:

i think the black community has been extremely ill-served by their leaders, but the pretense that black people weren't demanding these laws is absurd.

I'm not saying they didn't demand them, I'm simply saying that the end result of all that is they got hosed over pretty hard and I don't think that's what the average black person really has in mind when they want drug policy reform is all.

There were black people that were pro-slavery as well, doesn't mean it wasn't a racist institution. I'll grant you that black people aren't necessarily targeted specifically (not counting individual level stuff like a lovely cop in a department) but since they are a pretty vulnerable group in our society in general they are more easily victimized by a borked system. They are after all disproportionately represented in our incarcerated population.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 23, 2017

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I am smoking crack right now AMA

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

Alright that's all fair enough and we can agree on all this.

I'm not saying they didn't demand them, I'm simply saying that the end result of all that is they got hosed over pretty hard and I don't think that's what the average black person really has in mind when they want drug policy reform is all.

There were black people that were pro-slavery as well, doesn't mean it wasn't a racist institution. I'll be willing to grant you that black people aren't targeted specifically but since they are a pretty vulnerable group in our society in general they are more easily victimized by a borked system. They are after all disproportionately represented in our incarcerated population.

You think the old lady who has to look at gangbangers on her corner all day selling drugs doesn't want them in jail forever?

Black people does not mean 100% "criminal black men" and I think it's racist for you to assume that all black people are in solidarity or something

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

You think the old lady who has to look at gangbangers on her corner all day selling drugs doesn't want them in jail forever?

Black people does not mean 100% "criminal black men" and I think it's racist for you to assume that all black people are in solidarity or something

I think the average person would just want there to not be gangbangers on the corner in the first place which isn't going to happen if you just keep locking up poo poo tons of drug users and pushers.

Obviously black people have differing views but I don't see how any rational person of any race can see what is currently happening and think "yes, this works for me."

I also think a lot of poor inner city people are harassed and arrested when they have done nothing wrong in a way that doesn't happen in well off suburbs and I don't think it is racist to say people in those communities want that to stop.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I mean sure lock up those gangbangers and tomorrow there will be someone else there gangbanging because there are no economic opportunities and that's a way to make money.

We've been locking up everyone from users to pushers to the El Chapos for decades and drugs have only gotten cheaper, easier to get, and stronger. A larger % of our population is on street poo poo like meth and bath salts. We're losing this 'war on drugs' then by any conceivable metric.

We've been doing that for years and years and years and there is still a gangbanger on that corner because what we're doing isn't effective and I dunno that I'm racist for assuming the average person who sees that going on constantly would agree.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 23, 2017

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

I also think a lot of poor inner city people are harassed and arrested when they have done nothing wrong in a way that doesn't happen in well off suburbs and I don't think it is racist to say people in those communities want that to stop.

I dunno about this. Making a lot of assumptions. I don't think cops are roughing up old black ladies with groceries just because they're black

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

I dunno about this. Making a lot of assumptions. I don't think cops are roughing up old black ladies with groceries just because they're black

Why are they roughing up old ladies then?

But uh really that was directed at people living in those communities in general not specifically the old lady getting groceries. The LAPD has been sued over and over again for excessive force wrt people that have done nothing wrong.

Anyway clearly something is up

Whether that's because they are racist or just poo poo at their jobs idk but either way it's not very cool.

e: lol

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 23, 2017

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
Everyone has such a cartoonish version of reality. In Chicago the police are only 50% white, which is slightly higher than their 1/3 of the population share but that means 50% are non-white so racism explains what exactly?

Cops are sometimes dicks to old ladies regardless of race

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNPuVh5eACw

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah I mean the only reason you'd post that is in direct opposition to the BLM stuff and I feel like why would you be opposed to BLM?

Ending police brutality is a good thing but the more you scratch the surface of BLM it becomes fraught with a bunch of other dumb, fringe activist crap. Their manifesto reads like an Occupy Christmas List and I don't think it's that hard to figure out why some people started saying "All Lives Matter" when cops started getting murdered as collateral damage. Police brutality actually spans all ethnicities and should be something people can get together and protest together but unfortunately identity politics demands otherwise.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah brother the criminal justice system in this country def isn't racist.

new phone who dis posted:

I don't think it's that hard to figure out why some people started saying "All Lives Matter" when cops started getting murdered as collateral damage.

this isn't when people said this poo poo you moron. they said it right loving away. and they weren't collateral damage - most police murdered last year were by white guys.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Everyone has such a cartoonish version of reality.

Look I'll grant you that people are quick to overblow poo poo but man you can't just ignore the last few decades of history and pretend like there's no reason at all people would think that the police are not the most egalitarian bunch.

Plus, this:

https://theintercept.com/2017/01/31/the-fbi-has-quietly-investigated-white-supremacist-infiltration-of-law-enforcement/

If you don't like the source you can google the FBI report yourself, it's not hard to find.

quote:

In a heavily redacted version of an October 2006 FBI internal intelligence assessment, the agency raised the alarm over white supremacist groups’ “historical” interest in “infiltrating law enforcement communities or recruiting law enforcement personnel.” The effort, the memo noted, “can lead to investigative breaches and can jeopardize the safety of law enforcement sources or personnel.” The memo also states that law enforcement had recently become aware of the term “ghost skins,” used among white supremacists to describe “those who avoid overt displays of their beliefs to blend into society and covertly advance white supremacist causes.” In at least one case, the FBI learned of a skinhead group encouraging ghost skins to seek employment with law enforcement agencies in order to warn crews of any investigations.

That report appeared after a series of scandals involving local police and sheriff’s departments. In Los Angeles, for example, a U.S. District Court judge found in 1991 that members of a local sheriff’s department had formed a neo-Nazi gang and habitually terrorized black and Latino residents. In Chicago, Jon Burge, a police detective and rumored KKK member, was fired, and eventually prosecuted in 2008, over charges relating to the torture of at least 120 black men during his decadeslong career. Burge notoriously referred to an electric shock device he used during interrogations as the “friend of the family box.” In Cleveland, officials found that a number of police officers had scrawled “racist or Nazi graffiti” throughout their department’s locker rooms. In Texas, two police officers were fired when it was discovered they were Klansmen. One of them said he had tried to boost the organization’s membership by giving an application to a fellow officer he thought shared his “white, Christian, heterosexual values.”

Like fam come on I understand not all cops in Chicago are racist but when there is a dude going around torturing poo poo tons of people with his "friend of the family box" then uh.......

Ending police brutality is a good thing but the more you scratch the surface of BLM it becomes fraught with a bunch of other dumb, fringe activist crap. Their manifesto reads like an Occupy Christmas List and I don't think it's that hard to figure out why some people started saying "All Lives Matter" when cops started getting murdered as collateral damage. Police brutality actually spans all ethnicities and should be something people can get together and protest together but unfortunately identity politics demands otherwise.

Alright fair enough but many of those same people didn't think all lives mattered when they were cheering on protesters getting attacked you know?

But yeah alright BLM def has its nutty side and I understand not wanting to align with it. I'm not about to start sucking cops' dicks about it though either tbh and start posting "blue lives matter" type stuff.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 23, 2017

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's based on economic class, not race.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

It's based on economic class, not race.

I agree with that, it's just that the economic disparity breeds racism so they kind of go hand in hand.

But yeah class is the real issue imo.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Groovelord Neato posted:

this isn't when people said this poo poo you moron. they said it right loving away. and they weren't collateral damage - most police murdered last year were by white guys.

Not everyone said everything at the same time and grouping them all together as racist boogeymen in your head is unreasonable yet predictable.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it isn't solely class. if it was just a class issue you wouldn't have black families with an income of 100k more likely than not living in neighborhoods where the white families make 30k.

Not everyone said everything at the same time and grouping them all together as racist boogeymen in your head is unreasonable yet predictable.

you are incredibly dumb. it was an immediate response to people talking about blm. saying "all lives matter" is both stupid and totally missing the point. you idiots really need to stop crying about people calling out actual racism. also if the blue lives matter folks weren't racist they would've supported blm as well. you aint got a loving leg to stand on here.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 23, 2017

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Groovelord Neato posted:

it isn't solely class. if it was just a class issue you wouldn't have black families with an income of 100k more likely than not living in neighborhoods where the white families make 30k.

imo without the class disparity at the root of it then you wouldn't have the racism, or at least the racists would have no power to enforce anything.

I mean potato potato though really, at least we all agree the way the war on drugs is being run is loving nanners.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
dont talk to the police imho

trumps still not stumped

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Groovelord Neato posted:

you are incredibly dumb. it was an immediate response to people talking about blm. saying "all lives matter" is both stupid and totally missing the point. you idiots really need to stop crying about people calling out actual racism.

Police brutality is not solely a black issue and the reason it's sold to you that way is because of the nature of identity politics, not to actually fix anything. Targeting people who say something slightly different than you but generally agreeing for accusations of racism instead of agreeing and trying to recruit them is exactly the type of divisive and dumb poo poo the current activist community is known for. The correct response to the people saying "All Lives Matter" isn't to froth at the mouth and call them racist, it's to agree and ask them help you end police brutality against all people. That's harder than sanctimoniously labeling everyone who isn't in your in-group a racist, though.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
Racism is like a child's explanation for a ton of factors, it would take a book to outline why things are the way they are today, but this idea that a sizable majority of people are walking around just hating other races and doing everything in their power to destroy them is ludicrous.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Racism is like a child's explanation for a ton of factors, it would take a book to outline why things are the way they are today, but this idea that a sizable majority of people are walking around just hating other races and doing everything in their power to destroy them is ludicrous.

I don't think it is a sizable majority although obv white supremacist groups exist.

However I do think that most of the racism poo poo in the USA just stems from the fact that we had to justify slavery somehow which is ultimately a class/economics/capitalism thing.

I also think that many people seem to take it personally when an institution or system is accused of having racist elements to it which is odd to me. No one is saying all white people are racist, no one is saying all police are racist; but to deny there are racists in the police is kind of absurd isn't it?

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
There are racist cops and racist judges, and racist cab drivers and racist waiters and racist everything of all colors and shapes and genders!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

There are racist cops and racist judges, and racist cab drivers and racist waiters and racist everything of all colors and shapes and genders!

But do you see how the racist cops and judges maybe are more of a problem than the racist cabbies and waiters? A waiter has no power over you. Maybe they can ruin your meal I guess.

Why is it wrong to demand that our social systems work in an egalitarian fashion or to call out lovely public officials/employees when they arise?

e: Let me ask you this actually; is it a good thing for 95% of police to protect the 5% of lovely cops because some nebulous concept of honor or thin blue line or whatever?

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 23, 2017

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

But do you see how the racist cops and judges maybe are more of a problem than the racist cabbies and waiters? A waiter has no power over you. Maybe they can ruin your meal I guess.

Why is it wrong to demand that our social systems work in an egalitarian fashion or to call our lovely public officials/employees when they arise?

It's not. Who ever said that? The debate comes down to if the entire system is so out of whack due to racism, or if the system is just merely subject to individual abuses.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

e: Let me ask you this actually; is it a good thing for 95% of police to protect the 5% of lovely cops because some nebulous concept of honor or thin blue line or whatever?

The environment becomes polarized when Black Lives Matters chants "We want dead piggies frying"

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

It's not. Who ever said that? The debate comes down to if the entire system is so out of whack due to racism, or if the system is just merely subject to individual abuses.

The problem with this is also that "the entire system" is a patchwork of municipalities and jurisdictions with their own rules/laws/histories and their own entirely independent departments and recruitment methods.

So like I would say nah the system here in Carlsbad is probably fine and abuses are just the result of bad actors whereas I bet you there are places in the deep South where it is in fact pretty heavily institutionally racist because they are still holding on to Jim Crow style stuff.

A sticky situation I guess.

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

The environment becomes polarized when Black Lives Matters chants "We want dead piggies frying"

Understandable reaction but that's the way it was before the first BLM member was even born. Cops protect their own, that's not news.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Groovelord Neato posted:

most white people are racist.

:ironicat:

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
remember when trump won the election because liberal americans are retards who have split into 1000 sects of identity politics?

remember when liberals still dont realise why hillary lost and just call trump a nazi instead?

pepperidge farms remembers

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Do it ironically posted:

remember when trump won the election because liberal americans are retards who have split into 1000 sects of identity politics?

remember when liberals still dont realise why hillary lost and just call trump a nazi instead?

pepperidge farms remembers

Why not?

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
*rigs primaries so corrupt milquetoast candidate gets presidential nod*

WHY THE gently caress IS THIS FACIST IN POWER

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i could live 1000 lifetimes in opulent luxury for the price Hillary Clinton paid on campaign to lose to Donald Trump

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

I'm only racist when it's funny or accurate.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Imagine if Hillary spent the funds used on her campaign to actually help minorities rather than pissing it away losing to an orange guy with hosed up hair who can barely speak.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
Spunky again proving his incredibly stupidity by not understanding that a history of racist policies evolving over time created a situation of both class and race related issues. All because he wants to deflect the notion that maybe sometimes black people have it harder due to system factors.

Please watch this documentary that starts to explain the issue in a way that might be slightly above your or Trump's understanding.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/B7_YHur3G9g

Mordor She Wrote fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Spunky again proving his incredibly stupidity by not understanding that a history of racist policies evolving over time created a situation of both class and race related issues. All because he wants to deflect the notion that maybe sometimes black people have it harder due to system factors.

Please watch this documentary that starts to explain the issue in a way that might be slightly above your or Trump's understanding.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/B7_YHur3G9g

Hold on let me get my link clicking gloves...

• Locked thread