Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

We get to see the hosed up basic parts of Earth in a later book so it'll be in the show eventually. Also in one of the novellas, if they roll some of that into the show somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
The SecGen's caterpillar/butterfly quote was great in that it was a real one I didn't know, applicable, and a call forward/improvement on a similar metaphor in a later book.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

VagueRant posted:

Also kind of a casting spoiler rumour maybe sort of probably: I thought I heard Elias Toufexis/Adam Jensen was going to reappear this season? Expected Miller to run into a Protomolecule version of him in those corridors. Am I just totally mistaken?

I recall the same interview and while there hasn't been anything confirmed...

Book 2 spoiler: If he is coming back I bet he's the monster that attacks Billie's squad OR the monster in the cargo bay.

VagueRant posted:

What DID Fred do with Earth's nukes? Wonder if you'd be tempted to hit Venus with them JUST to make sure.

Also PROMOTIONAL SPOILERS: ep 6 (or more, since it says COMING WEEKS?) promo!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytq693c3xVw
Looking pretty hype.

Oh no, we're not on a mid-season break, are we? :ohdear:

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 23, 2017

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Snuffman posted:

I recall the same interview and while there hasn't been anything confirmed...

Book 2 spoiler: If he is coming back I bet he's the monster that attacks Billie's squad OR the monster in the cargo bay.

I don't know how to connect those two dots, but I guess they could.

For anyone curious, here's how last night's final scenes played out in the book. Spoiler tags in case any of the differences are addressed in a subsequent episode, or in case anyone currently reading the book wants to get there on their own.

Leviathan Wakes, chapter 55 posted:

Eros crashing into Venus was the most widely broadcast and recorded event in history. By the time the asteroid reached the sun's second planet, several hundred ships had taken up orbits there. Military vessels tried to keep the civilian ships away, but it was no use. They were just outnumbered. The video of Eros' descent was captured by military gun cameras, civilian ship telescopes, and the observatories on two planets and five moons.

Holden wished he could have been there to see it up close, but Eros had picked up speed after it had turned, almost as though the asteroid were impatient for the journey to end now that the destination was in sight. He and the crew sat in the galley of the Rocinante and watched it on the broadcast newsfeeds. Amos had dug up yet another bottle of faux tequila from somewhere and was liberally splashing it into coffee cups. Alex had them flying toward Tycho at a gentle one-third g. No need to hurry now.

It was all over but the fireworks.

Holden reached out, took Naomi's hand, and held it tightly as the asteroid entered Venus orbit and then seemed to stop. He felt like he could feel the entire human race holding their breath. No one knew what Eros - no, what Julie - would do now. No one had spoken to Miller after the last time Holden had, and he wasn't answering his hand terminal. No one knew for sure what had happened on the asteroid.

When the end came, it was beautiful.

In orbit around Venus, Eros came apart like a puzzle box. The giant asteroid split into a dozen chunks, stringing out around the equator of the planet in a long necklace. Then those dozen pieces split into a dozen more, and then a dozen after that, a glittering fractal seed cloud spreading out across the entire surface of the planet, disappearing into the thick cloud layer that usually hid Venus from view.

"Wow," Amos said, his voice almost reverent.

"That was gorgeous," Naomi said. "Vaguely unsettling, but gorgeous."

"They won't stay there forever," Holden said.

Alex tossed off the last of the tequila in his glass, then refilled it from the bottle.

"What d'ya mean, Cap?" he asked.

"Well, I'm just guessing. But I doubt the things that built the protomolecule just wanted to store it here. This was part of a bigger plan. We saved the Earth, Mars, the Belt. Question is, what happens now?"

Naomi and Alex exchanged glances. Amos pursed his lips. On-screen, Venus glittered as arcs of lightning danced all across the planet.

"Cap," Amos said. "You are seriously harshing my buzz."

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Toast Museum posted:

For anyone curious, here's how last night's final scenes played out in the book. Spoiler tags in case any of the differences are addressed in a subsequent episode, or in case anyone currently reading the book wants to get there on their own.
I supposed it was muted because it wasn't a season finale/cliffhanger.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
This is the best god damned show.

It's right up there with Westworld and Mr. Robot

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Mr Robot seemed pretty shallow but I only got about three episodes into it, does it get better?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I like how in the future where earth is united and the UN runs the show, all the nukes are still America's :911:

e: also are they going from silo to space in like 2 seconds holy poo poo

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I was reading the whole kiss at the end was just the actors going improvin' the scene because it felt natural, wasn't in the script at all.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Syfy is cable? And the show airs at 10pm? Why exactly are the swears censored?

Woden
May 6, 2006

Smiling Jack posted:

Mr Robot seemed pretty shallow but I only got about three episodes into it, does it get better?

Season 1 is pretty good if you like the computer stuff, season 2 kinda drags a bit though.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

CLAM DOWN posted:

I like how in the future where earth is united and the UN runs the show, all the nukes are still America's :911:

Why are the city lights so small on future overpopulated Earth.

Baronjutter posted:

I was reading the whole kiss at the end was just the actors going improvin' the scene because it felt natural, wasn't in the script at all.

Huh, when I try to improve scenes in my life that way I tend to get slapped or maced. :smith:

Number Ten Cocks fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 23, 2017

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

CLAM DOWN posted:

If I had to guess, they're probably launched from railguns, which get things moving in a loving hurry.

Speaking of the nukes, that's something else that was toned down in the show. I think they said it was about 150 missiles in the episode. In the book, Earth launches its entire ground-based arsenal of several thousand nukes, to be followed up by shipboard nukes sterilizing whatever was left.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Combat Pretzel posted:

Syfy is cable? And the show airs at 10pm? Why exactly are the swears censored?

Ads still don't want to run on a station with bad words. The US hasn't had a real watershed for decades. It's barely censored, ProtoJulie and The White Lady on last week's Magicians both had Sailor Moon boobies (no nipples). Just one of those weird quirks of making all your tv in the present and having to broadcast it for audiences in Pleasantville too.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Oh man, just watched the episode. I got all choked up at the end there, holy poo poo this show.

I was thinking how the protomolecule in this episode was very different. It seemed much more 'nicer' or euphoric (not a bad thing, I really enjoyed the vibe) compared to the times you see it in season 1, where it comes off as this terrifying murder machine.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
In season 1 the protomolecule was obtaining resources (by melting people down). In season 2 it was beginning to do "the work" that Julie said mustn't be stopped. That's why it seemed less threatening, everyone was already dead and the ongoing mostly off screen modifications of Eros didn't kill any one else.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Why are the city lights so small on future overpopulated Earth.

Looks like the map jibes pretty well with Nasa's Black Marble nighttime composites. Urban densification wouldn't necessarily result in a greater spread of lights.

But Florida's missing.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Phy posted:

But Florida's missing.

Truly there is hope for the future.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Phy posted:

Looks like the map jibes pretty well with Nasa's Black Marble nighttime composites. Urban densification wouldn't necessarily result in a greater spread of lights.

But Florida's missing.

The ocean consumed Florida, nice.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

With the sea level rise in the shots of NY, florida would absolutely be totally under water.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

VagueRant posted:

What DID Fred do with Earth's nukes? Wonder if you'd be tempted to hit Venus with them JUST to make sure.

Looking pretty hype.

Whooo boy this season is moving fast! In a good way

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
And yeah, this is midseason break. Two weeks to wait :[

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I liked that they actually showed the transmission delay between Earth and Luna in that conversion between Chrisjen and Arjun. That's something that comes up every now and then in the books as a realistic consequence of communication over long distances that hasn't been addressed until now.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
They talked about it a couple of times but since they are used to it, it isn't something they pontificate on. It's one of the things I like about the show. For genre fiction, there is a lot less "We're in space so in space because space".

Beautiful episode.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

I wonder why they totally eliminated the horror aspect of the protomolecule. The inside of Eros is a complete loving nightmare hellscape in the book, not a pretty glowing crystally thing. Good episode anyway.

Because it's on TV.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Evernoob posted:

TV is trying to recover from a zombie overdose. That's why.

If Earth is so severely overpopulated with most ppl living on Basic. Why are we only seeing the top 1% in their luxurious villa's?
I think the "poorest" people we've seen so far in their home were Holden's kibbutz parents. I want to see the slums or arcologies or whatever they've built to house 30bil people.

I've only read book 1 but they imply Earth standard of living is very high but I could be wrong

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

VagueRant posted:

Looking pretty hype.

Wow getting started early with the book 2 stuff

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Phi230 posted:

I've only read book 1 but they imply Earth standard of living is very high but I could be wrong

While there is a common belief among Belters and Dusters that all Earthers live a life of leisure with free everything, the reality is that the system of basic income Earth provides really only papers over the staggering inequality of the Earth economy, and a massive chunk of the population of Earth lives in very terrible conditions and circumstances. Without getting into too many specifics, the later books do cover in more depth the real economic situation on Earth and dip into what life is like for someone living in the slums of the Earth mega cities.

We might even get a little bit of that story this season.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm glad they ditched the zombies I'm sick of that poo poo and having scenes of them shooting their way through cyber zombies would have made the show feel not classy at all.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Phi230 posted:

Wow getting started early with the book 2 stuff

Yeah, it's really weird that they're previewing book 2 stuff in the episodes following the one that completed book 1. I personally would have waited a long time after finishing book 1 before moving on to book 2.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I'm like a week behind so just posting to say that in this show the only team I'm really rooting for are the Mormons, they seem to have the best plan for how to deal with the system. Bug the gently caress out.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Yeah, it's really weird that they're previewing book 2 stuff in the episodes following the one that completed book 1. I personally would have waited a long time after finishing book 1 before moving on to book 2.

I don't mind it, the pacing of the show is quite different than the books and I feel it's been super effective so far.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

ATP_Power posted:

While there is a common belief among Belters and Dusters that all Earthers live a life of leisure with free everything, the reality is that the system of basic income Earth provides really only papers over the staggering inequality of the Earth economy, and a massive chunk of the population of Earth lives in very terrible conditions and circumstances. Without getting into too many specifics, the later books do cover in more depth the real economic situation on Earth and dip into what life is like for someone living in the slums of the Earth mega cities.

We might even get a little bit of that story this season.

yeah, one of the main characters in particular .......Amos........ is from circumstances in the Achewood sense.

GraceGarland
Jul 4, 2003

NZAmoeba posted:

I'm like a week behind so just posting to say that in this show the only team I'm really rooting for are the Mormons, they seem to have the best plan for how to deal with the system. Bug the gently caress out.

:agreed:

Go Team Mormon!

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

NZAmoeba posted:

Right strategy, wrong method.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm cheering for Mars, Mars loving rules and I hope they conquer everyone and everything

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Kingtheninja posted:

It seemed much more 'nicer' or euphoric (not a bad thing, I really enjoyed the vibe) compared to the times you see it in season 1, where it comes off as this terrifying murder machine.

I don't know how the book characterizes it, but I way prefer this version. hosed up Cronenberg zombie monsters would be visually cool, but there's something fascinating about the idea that the Protomolecule is beyond understanding. It's not one-sidedly a destruction agent, but a very alien life cycle.

It kind of gives me an Ender's Game vibe in that way, where its destructiveness stems from the misunderstanding that humans are discrete subjects. It subsumes biomatter and energy into this whirling collective, and probably sees the process as amoral (if it conceptualizes "morality" at all.) But it's de facto killing hundreds of thousands. And even then, only maybe; I guess everyone could be "alive" as part of some super-consciousness. The idea that it's some intertwined soup of partially-conscious ex-people is terrifying and kind of beautiful.

Apparently it was sent here on a projectile moon, billions of years ago? I fail to see how that'd be "a weapon." It seems more likely it'd be a terraforming agent, looking for potential biomatter like humans scoping for ice or fuel on asteroids. Which is no more evil than what humanity's outward expansion is about : survival.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I want everyone to settle down and work together and overthrow capitalism and live a life of peace and luxury harvesting the limitless resources of space.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I prefer the incomprehensible blue crystallized Eros to the charnal house Dead Space Eros. it makes Miller's ultimate meeting with Julie all the more effecting as it takes place in such a strangely beautiful place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm cheering for Mars, Mars loving rules and I hope they conquer everyone and everything

"What do you mean "we," kemosabe?"

Xealot posted:

Apparently it was sent here on a projectile moon, billions of years ago? I fail to see how that'd be "a weapon." It seems more likely it'd be a terraforming agent, looking for potential biomatter like humans scoping for ice or fuel on asteroids. Which is no more evil than what humanity's outward expansion is about : survival.

This was a good post.

• Locked thread