Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Fil5000 posted:

I'm pretty sure BBC2 also used to run everything from Pertwee to Colin Baker in the mid to late 90s. I think it was sunday mornings, but I don't quite recall. I'm nearly 100% sure they never showed any McCoy, as I was waiting for it but it never arrived.

Edit: Apparently it was early 90s, wasn't at lunchtime at all, DID include some McCoy and wasn't a full run at all, just serials chosen seemingly at random.

http://gallifreybase.com/w/index.php/Airdates_in_the_UK_(BBC_repeats)

Starts at row 111.

They were really patchy, at least in the East Midlands. I saw Green Death on Sunday lunchtimes (scared the living hell out of me, bloody maggots) and remember sitting down and watching Sea Devils and Genesis with my Dad and brother on a Friday night (it clashed with Coronation Street so Mum was watching that upstairs).

Edit: Your link is dead but this one has those dates on. Christ that run from 1992 to 1994 on BBC2 was where it all started for me. Thanks for that, I just got taken back to some lovely memories.

EdBlackadder fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Feb 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

EdBlackadder posted:

They were really patchy, at least in the East Midlands. I saw Green Death on Sunday lunchtimes (scared the living hell out of me, bloody maggots) and remember sitting down and watching Sea Devils and Genesis with my Dad and brother on a Friday night (it clashed with Coronation Street so Mum was watching that upstairs).

I've got really clear memories of Revelation of the Daleks being on a sunday morning after I'd got in from my paper round, I just can't find any proof. I was also East Midlands, but I think by the 90s there wasn't a huge amount of variation in regional broadcasting, especially on the beeb.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Fil5000 posted:

I'm pretty sure BBC2 also used to run everything from Pertwee to Colin Baker in the mid to late 90s. I think it was sunday mornings, but I don't quite recall. I'm nearly 100% sure they never showed any McCoy, as I was waiting for it but it never arrived.

Edit: Apparently it was early 90s, wasn't at lunchtime at all, DID include some McCoy and wasn't a full run at all, just serials chosen seemingly at random.

http://gallifreybase.com/w/index.php/Airdates_in_the_UK_(BBC_repeats)

Starts at row 111.

Ah, the BBC2 6pm Cult TV slot! Buffy, Farscape, etc!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/londonconcrete/status/833695079399297024

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

The_Doctor posted:

Ah, the BBC2 6pm Cult TV slot! Buffy, Farscape, etc!

Remember when BBC2 ran a load of 50s sci fi B movies in that sort of slot? And when Channel 4 used to run all the Irwin Allen series? I wish they'd do that sort of thing these days, I discovered a ton of stuff that way.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

Remember when BBC2 ran a load of 50s sci fi B movies in that sort of slot? And when Channel 4 used to run all the Irwin Allen series? I wish they'd do that sort of thing these days, I discovered a ton of stuff that way.

I don't remember BBC2 doing that, but I definitely remember the Irwin Allen stuff on C4 - Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea and Lost in Space, usually on Sundays.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/spankybackpack/status/833774111482523648

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

He'd stab Trump in the back within the first month.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

We need a thorough investigation into Lt. General McMaster's possible ties to the Daleks.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Master's allied himself with a very obvious slitheen, and they'll just doublecross eachother like always.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The_Doctor posted:

The Master's allied himself with a very obvious slitheen, and they'll just doublecross eachother like always.

It won't occur to the Master that Trump will doublecross him until the Doctor brings it up, at which point he'll go,":aaa:" and then ally with the Doctor to stop him.

I wish the last part was true :smith:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

EdBlackadder posted:

1995 my family got Sky TV for the first time. A channel called UK Gold showed Doctor Who repeats in a block on a Sunday morning. There would usually be an episode of Blakes 7 or the Survivors then they'd run a serial all the way through and next week you'd get the next serial. When they ran out, back to the start. I believe they showed everything available up to the TV Movie. I used to get up early so I could catch it all, hell of a step up from the odd VHS serials I had before that.

Oh, yeah, good old "Doctor Who Omnibus". That's where I started watching the series. I got into it just as it was going through some McCoy stuff, then the first DVD I got was "Remembrance of the Daleks" when I was 10, and then it switched to Davison and I didn't understand why the actor had changed. :D

Well Manicured Man posted:

We need a thorough investigation into Lt. General McMaster's possible ties to the Daleks.

I have heard that he's deep in the pocket of Big Time Travel.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Was that The Sea Devils? Did he have some paper thin pseudonym in that story?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Jerusalem posted:

It won't occur to the Master that Trump will doublecross him until the Doctor brings it up, at which point he'll go,":aaa:" and then ally with the Doctor to stop him.

On the contrary, it won't occur to Trump that the Master will doublecross him until his golden elevator starts shrinking.

/\/\/\

When hasn't the Master had a paper-thin pseudonym, besides "Harold Saxon"?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

On the contrary, it won't occur to Trump that the Master will doublecross him until his golden elevator starts shrinking.

/\/\/\

That's the point. I want to know which paper-thin pseudonym accompanies that image.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
It's from episode 2 of The Sea Devils when he breaks into naval supplies. He does not use a pseudonym.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Mr Dominus is always a favorite of mine, though Mr Seta comes close.
Edit: forgot Don Maestro

Editx2: And thanks to Wiki, I now know Mister Saxon is an anagram for "master No Six" which I doubt was planned at all but cool regardless.

McGann fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 21, 2017

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Oh, yeah, good old "Doctor Who Omnibus". That's where I started watching the series. I got into it just as it was going through some McCoy stuff, then the first DVD I got was "Remembrance of the Daleks" when I was 10, and then it switched to Davison and I didn't understand why the actor had changed. :D

Surprise!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

McGann posted:

My favourite was crediting one "James Stoker" in "The King's Demons" as the Master's disguise - it is an anagram of "Master's joke".

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
And let's not overlook the oft-forgotten G. C. Keansi.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Just finished up Big Finish's Invisible Man. Hurt's performance was great, the adaptation was great, highly recommended!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I don't know why they never got Neil Toynay back, he was great

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

The best bit was in the 8th audio "Master of the Daleks", and when delivering a report to the Supreme Dalek, a strategist Dalek reports "There is a 100% certainty that the Master will betray us." Not a 99.9% chance, nope, he's going to betray us a some point.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

McGann posted:

Editx2: And thanks to Wiki, I now know Mister Saxon is an anagram for "master No Six" which I doubt was planned at all but cool regardless.

Of course it was planned, why do you think it wasn't?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
War Doc 4 is up and I'm not crying you're crying

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Emil Keller is about the only one I can think of.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Because RTD said it wasn't?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Wikipedia posted:

At least one television pundit speculated whether "Mister Saxon" was an intentional anagram of "Master No. Six" or was perhaps "a big red herring".[4] However, when asked, Russell T Davies stated that it was not deliberate.[5][6]

McGann
May 19, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

I was just going off a feeling off "trying too hard to make a connection" and had no actual evidence pointing either direction, but I guess it was actually fans trying too hard after all.

Liking Diary of River Song 2 so far, halfway through as of this morning's commute. I like the pairing of 7/River so far and eagerly anticipate 6's verbal sparring

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

He's only the sixth master if you put multiple actors together and remove CGI snake entirely

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Which would be a goddamn crime to do

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"Hello you!"
__________\

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I'm fine with pretending that Peter Pratt and Geoffrey Beevers are the same person.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

McGann posted:

Liking Diary of River Song 2 so far, halfway through as of this morning's commute. I like the pairing of 7/River so far and eagerly anticipate 6's verbal sparring

It's really drat good, River being plonked into the Classic Doctors period works surprisingly well.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

It's really drat good, River being plonked into the Classic Doctors period works surprisingly well.

Apparently, that was Moffat's suggestion. I just hope next year we get River and Tom.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

Apparently, that was Moffat's suggestion. I just hope next year we get River and Tom.

I hope he some how knows who she is and won't explain how or why

Turns out she's hanging out with the Curator at the end

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Box of Bunnies posted:

War Doc 4 is up and I'm not crying you're crying

Big Finish posted:

Thank you for all the emails, messages and posts about how much you thought of Sir John Hurt's performances at Big Finish, and his career as a whole. It was a privilege to have worked with him.

Ahhh jeez man :smith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I'd hoped for a War Doctor/River encounter. That would have been very interesting.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

I'd hoped for a War Doctor/River encounter. That would have been very interesting.

I just started listening to the War Doctor finally, and I wonder why we haven't had a Derek Jacobi Time War Master story yet...

Also the War Doctor theme is by far the best original theme for the show BF has ever done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So I was looking at the page for Doom Coalition 4, in anticipation of it coming out next month; I noticed that in the cast list they have two different actresses credited for Ollistra. 1) I guess Ollistra is showing up in Doom Coalition, and 2) it looks like we're getting a regeneration of her into Jacqueline Pearce

Oh, and Veklin is in. I'm wondering if DC4 is going to lead directly into the Time War set and then into the War Doctor stuff.

• Locked thread